Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Forty Two posted:

How many of you would be willing to die for your bike?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1416262/Court-refuses-trial-by-combat.html

loving A! I'd totally be his backup person. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

nsaP posted:

Am I the only one who leaves their gear at their bike because I don't want to draw attention to myself? Not to mention some angry driver might put a face to my gear.

I guess it helps that no one wears gear, here. I used to wear my gear/carry it with me, but when I realized that no one wears gear here, except for maybe a helmet, I just started leaving it. Haven't had a cheeky kid or anyone run off with it yet.
I used to leave my helmet locked to the bike until kids around campus started cutting helmets off of bikes. If someone steals my helmet+jacket+gloves I'm out $1200 retail, so I walk around campus in a leather jacket carrying a helmet in 98F heat. The only attention it ever attracts is other students who A) ride or B) want to get into riding. I have no problems chatting with someone about either of those things.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Sometimes I bring my helmet along just so people don't ask me why I'm wearing a funny suit or moon boots.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.
http://www.d2moto.com/

Guess I'll toss this here...they're doing a 30% off sale through Wednesday with code WS30. I got some turn signal mirrors and flushmount signals for my SV650 last week. Haven't installed them yet but they seem alright. They're labeled "Volar Motorsport" if that means anything to anyone.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
For those of you who leave your gear at the bike, do you secure it in any way? I don't really mind walking around, but I'm in the same boat as Inu as far as campus temps go. On top of that, my university is a 30 minute highway commute away, so I can't really skimp on any gear to make it less obtrusive.

My stupid school doesn't have lockers :mad:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I'd recommend going to a hardware store that sells bulk cable in plastic sheathing and having them cut it to a good 8ft length then crimp it into loops at the ends. You can thread it through the sleeves and legs of your gear back to the helmet lock or a padlock to prevent casual theft. Don't get it thick, it's purely to prevent snatch and grab, so you should be able to easily roll it up and stuff it in your backpack.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 23, 2011

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Its really easy to tell you guys don't live anywhere that it rains all the time, not to mention places that are crawling with thieving assholes.

I'd never leave gear at the bike unless i had a lockable top box or panniers, even then a lot of places around here if you were seen putting anything valuable into a top box there's a good chance some oval office would have smashed his way in and nicked it by the time you got back.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Forty Two posted:

How many of you would be willing to die for your bike?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1416262/Court-refuses-trial-by-combat.html

Dude's been reading a bit too much ASOIAF. :hist101:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

sirbeefalot posted:

Dude's been reading a bit too much ASOIAF. :hist101:

I had no idea what that meant, but while I was reading the article, I thought to myself "Hey, it's Tyrion."

Yes, yes, I am an idiot.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

echomadman posted:

Its really easy to tell you guys don't live anywhere that it rains all the time, not to mention places that are crawling with thieving assholes.

I'd never leave gear at the bike unless i had a lockable top box or panniers, even then a lot of places around here if you were seen putting anything valuable into a top box there's a good chance some oval office would have smashed his way in and nicked it by the time you got back.

That's why the UK is such a haven for bikers, oh wait...

Edit: Actually it's not all that bad, we can lanesplit legally and generally don't have to put up with GIXXAH BROS and WILD HOGS

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Saga posted:

I guess this is just my tip to UK goons - this seems like a great time to buy if you can waive a handful of cash at someone.

unfortunately I'm trying to buy a flat in this double-dip recession and have zero disposable cash to splash around on PLEASE SOMEONE JUST BUY IT sellers. Otherwise I'd be scooping up my own Italian twin (or four, why not!)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

AncientTV posted:

Its amazing how quickly you stop giving a poo poo about looks when you're walking around campus in full gear. I'm like the best kind of cartoon character.

I felt the same way on campus when I had a mustache.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

I felt the same way on campus when I had a mustache.

I grew an accidental mustache once. It felt like I had the burden of humanity's sin sitting on my upper lip.

On another topic, do you guys have any experience with motorcycle speakers? I'd like to have some loud and clear speakers mounted on my WR250R's handlebars. I wouldn't use them often, just on special occasions to play Norwegian death/black metal.

Looks like the Shark system is getting reasonably good reviews for the price: http://www.amazon.com/Shark-motorcycle-audio-system-speakers/dp/B002ZNUAT6

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 23, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MotoMind posted:

On another topic, do you guys have any experience with motorcycle speakers? I'd like to have some loud and clear speakers mounted on my WR250R's handlebars. I wouldn't use them often, just on special occasions to play Norwegian death/black metal.
I've never attempted or thought about mounting speakers on mine but it seems a lot of cruisers have them. They mostly play lovely music though.

On yet another topic I'm getting a couple stitches tomorrow on my stomach. How stupid would it be to ride the motorcycle to the doctor office? Weather looks great and I don't want to drive.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

NitroSpazzz posted:

They mostly play lovely music though.

Sounds about right, I only listen to lovely music.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Sounds about right, I only listen to lovely music.

Have you ever heard of the lovely beetles?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Gnaghi posted:

Have you ever heard of the lovely beetles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dung_beetle

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Forty Two posted:

That's why the UK is such a haven for bikers, oh wait...

Edit: Actually it's not all that bad, we can lanesplit legally and generally don't have to put up with GIXXAH BROS and WILD HOGS

But you do have to put up with packs of middle-aged guys on restored FS1Es, though. Or at least that's what all the British bike mags I read would have me think.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
I had my worst-nightmare close call today. I was on a "one-lane-each-way" highway doing ~ 110kph, as I came around a bend a truck in the oncoming lane pulled out into mine to pass the car in front of him. I don't know if he didn't see me or didn't give a poo poo but instead of pulling back in he went for it, forcing me onto the shoulder to avoid a head-on collision. loving idiot was still in my lane when I looked in my mirrors as I pulled back onto the road.

Had I been in a car I definitely would have dropped the passenger side wheels into the gravel and had there been no paved shoulder that could have ended very poorly, what the gently caress is wrong with people?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Niven posted:

I had my worst-nightmare close call today. I was on a "one-lane-each-way" highway doing ~ 110kph, as I came around a bend a truck in the oncoming lane pulled out into mine to pass the car in front of him. I don't know if he didn't see me or didn't give a poo poo but instead of pulling back in he went for it, forcing me onto the shoulder to avoid a head-on collision. loving idiot was still in my lane when I looked in my mirrors as I pulled back onto the road.

Had I been in a car I definitely would have dropped the passenger side wheels into the gravel and had there been no paved shoulder that could have ended very poorly, what the gently caress is wrong with people?

People who drive pickup trucks tend to be the kind of people who would risk your life for a few seconds off of a commute. This goes for Acuras and all SUVs too. People driving minivan's are busy having 5 children screaming at them and just don't give a gently caress anymore, please end it.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Linedance posted:

unfortunately I'm trying to buy a flat in this double-dip recession and have zero disposable cash to splash around on PLEASE SOMEONE JUST BUY IT sellers. Otherwise I'd be scooping up my own Italian twin (or four, why not!)

Buy a flat in South Shields (or for the same money, a 3 bedroom house and 50 acres on Skye) and several bikes!

Still seeing bike after bike not even get a starting bid on e-bay...luckily I sold my CBR.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Bondematt posted:

People who drive pickup trucks tend to be the kind of people who would risk your life for a few seconds off of a commute. This goes for Acuras and all SUVs too. People driving minivan's are busy having 5 children screaming at them and just don't give a gently caress anymore, please end it.

Another one to watch out for is rented moving trucks. The people driving those behemoths usually don't ever have any truck driving experience in their lives, yet they're allowed to operate tiny, movable houses.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yeah, I posted my gorg sv650 on CL, nobody bit, at all, for an awfully long time until I took it down. Then a '07 ninja 250 for a very fair price and nobody is biting.

And I encountered sellers refusing to budge from their outrageous price points on their '03 supersports.

I'm just thankful I have friends with the bike lust and money to burn, looks like the 250 is also getting snatched up by a friend.

cluck1000
May 23, 2011

fo'rilla

hell YEAH post-apocalyptic two-wheel revolution

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Bondematt posted:

The funniest thing that happened this month was when a dude in an F350 or 250 extended his mirrors out to try and stop me filtering by him. Once one in the same truck stuck his arm out the window so that his elbow lined up with my helmet. They certainty hate riders, but thankfully aren't too smart.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd probably have given him my head, earned him a broken elbow. :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cluck1000 posted:

hell YEAH post-apocalyptic two-wheel revolution

Man infographics suck, I have no idea what thats even trying to say

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Phat_Albert posted:

Man infographics suck, I have no idea what thats even trying to say

I think in the future kites will be more uniformly shaped and also flown sideways. And also if you fly a kite you will be more likely to be in a social motorcycle club in the future than today.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GanjamonII posted:

I think in the future kites will be more uniformly shaped and also flown sideways. And also if you fly a kite you will be more likely to be in a social motorcycle club in the future than today.

Also, hearts will tend towards center of mass.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Again? Seriously?

Just loving take the thing.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Again? Seriously?

Just loving take the thing.

You should put a post-it on it that says "You're on camera :)"

Guarantee they won't do it again. Also, that sucks, sorry.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I could offer a suggestion that involves lawn chairs, line of sight, a case of beer, and a baseball bat.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Updated my insurance coverage to reflect my new apartment address. Jumped me from $110/mo to $235/mo. Jesus gently caress. gently caress my life.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Updated my insurance coverage to reflect my new apartment address. Jumped me from $110/mo to $235/mo. Jesus gently caress. gently caress my life.

Holy poo poo what kind of hood did you move into?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Flagstaff, Az to Tempe, Az about a mile off ASU campus.

I did put a sticky note on the bike about a camera. I would imagine they will either leave it alone or kick it over and beat the gently caress out of it. :smith:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Flagstaff, Az to Tempe, Az about a mile off ASU campus.

I did put a sticky note on the bike about a camera. I would imagine they will either leave it alone or kick it over and beat the gently caress out of it. :smith:

that blows super rear end, did you notice any of the other bikes missing/tampered with?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Nope, checked out an 07-ish R1 that hasn't moved in over a year, no damage. Also an 01 F4i that hasn't been messed with. About to walk over and check on the 06+ CBR600RR and GSXR600 that are parked over a little.

edit: CBR600RR is an 04 or 05 with matte black fairings rattlecanned, not tampered with but it is chained to the parking structure. GSXR600 was really an 08 GSXR1000 in mint condition without any tamper marks and is also chained to the parking structure.

So close to saying gently caress it - getting rid of the bike and building another M3 or something.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 25, 2011

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Niven posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with people?

As time goes on I buy the "I didn't see you" line less and less. When I'm in a car, I don't even actively scan for motorcyclists. Whether fore or aft, they're a very unique and attention-grabbing presence. It's like looking at the night sky and saying your eye wasn't drawn at all to a shooting star because you were busy admiring Ursa Major.

Things I've learned to dispatch quickly while on two wheels:

- Any white van. It will usually contain two hung over idiots working for Bil-Barb Plumbing and Heating. The "let's have some fun" factor increases exponentially when a male is riding shotgun. Also see: conversion vans.

- BMWs. Any size, any model. Inside the customer care package is a sealed and certified license to be a oval office signed by all member states of the UN General Assembly. So even if you're a Texan driving in Texas, you qualify for diplomatic immunity.

- Jackasses with Coexist stickers. Just to be on the safe side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Marv Hushman posted:

- BMWs. Any size, any model. Inside the customer care package is a sealed and certified license to be a oval office signed by all member states of the UN General Assembly. So even if you're a Texan driving in Texas, you qualify for diplomatic immunity.

- Jackasses with Coexist stickers. Just to be on the safe side.
For the record - I'm the exception that proves the rule.

Yesterday on the drive home on the turnpike, traffic was flowing about 79, and I saw a single highbeam headlight coming up in the fast lane from pretty far back...

...so I changed over into the left lane, flicked on the high beams, sped up a tick and rode the rear end of the (yes, white) Chevy Astro Van (roofing company, not a plumber shop - same diff) until they sped up and cleared the car they'd been lazily drifting along next to for a while...and merged right.

I passed them, and merged right just in time to roll down the window (of the M3) and flick the rider (who was doing about 90) the peace sign. =)

Ever notice you never see a COEXIST bumper sticker in combination with a republican political campaign sticker? Curious.

Side question - my AMA membership packet came with no stickers, so I'm going to order some. Anyone want to pile on?

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 25, 2011