Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Carbon Tiger posted:

whatever the hell Dragon Dragon is

He's a dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have absolutely no problem with the magical leprechaun door thing other than that it's not funny, and even that, surprisingly, is up for debate. There's no room to complain about the feasibility of storyline events on a show with Kane, the Undertaker, Degeneration X, and backstage skits where people wait for TV cameras before they talk to each other. The only issue is whether or not it's entertaining and enjoyable.

Even Ron Simmons could magically appear from just off-camera every time. Is he in the wings, always waiting to say drat but surprising people (who can probably see him from their position) by jumping in from behind the camera? What is the storyline explanation for this?!?

Carbon Tiger
Nov 4, 2008

Burrito posted:

He's a dragon.

Exactly.

Using that train of logic Pinky was a time traveling ant who in fact was not that and is a secret double agent for a stable of German themed uber heels lead by a Swiss coffee fan. Man if we could swap TNA's finical backing and time slot with Charika I'd do it in an instant.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FishBulb posted:

Thats not what he said, at all.
I didn't say he did. I was really more speaking to the general attitude of "Well there's a guy who acts like a zombie so why shouldn't there be impossible camera angle changes, Bischoff not seeing Warrior in the mirror, Kane having a zoom-in-on-his-head-fantasy-sequence ON LIVE TELEVISION, McMahon seeing himself 20 years younger in a mirror and Hornswoggle running through a painted-on hole-in-the-wall."

One of these things is far less outrageous than the rest. I can buy that a guy dresses like a zombie and scares people. I can't buy the rest of them and it makes the entire sport come off as a children's cartoon. It's a huge part of the reason wrestling isn't cool anymore.

El Axo Grande posted:

Hey, remember that baseball game last night?

The one where Alex Rodriguez was filmed backstage with the coach plotting on how they were going to doublecross Derek Jeter by joining the Red Sox?

It was just before the Undead Lord of Darkness hit that homerun pitched by the Leprechaun
I'm not sure if you're arguing with me because you are entirely illustrating my point. Wrestling is supposed to be a sport. It's on a huge decline and absolutely nobody in the industry aside from Paul Heyman has said, "Hey. Maybe we should start acting like a sport again as that's what people seem to want to see."

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I think Ax was simply commenting on the flat out ludicrousness of the basketball analogy.
Why is it ludicrous to compare a real sport to a sport that ostensibly pretends to be real while the show's going on? Why is it not okay for Russo to completely ruin your immersion by saying "None of that other poo poo is real but THIS is" but it's completely okay to have a leprechaun run through a loving painted hole-in-the-wall?

It's all about being consistent with your written universe. Seinfeld is fake too and had some completely loving outrageous poo poo happen including a literal trip to the bizarro world but you'd never see those guys turning to the audience and acknowledging that they're in a sitcom or running through painted-on holes-in-the-wall. It wouldn't be consistent with their show's universe and it's not consistent with WWE's written world either. "It's fake" is hardly an excuse for breaking your own fourth wall.

I've argued this to death with OneThousandMonkeys in the past and in the end we all kind of just threw our hands up and went, "Whelp! We're never going to change each-other's minds!" and I suppose I should've just left it at that. I just can't help but bring my two cents to the discussion every time it comes up hoping that maybe this time I can articulate properly what's wrong with the whole thing.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I understand what you are saying, I just fundamentally don't agree that the WWE is or should be 'a real sport' at all, and I don't think the WWE thinks that way either so you're tilting at a windmill or whatever that phrase is.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FishBulb posted:

I understand what you are saying, I just fundamentally don't agree that the WWE is or should be 'a real sport' at all, and I don't think the WWE thinks that way either so you're tilting at a windmill or whatever that phrase is.
If you think this is what I'm saying, you're not really getting what I'm saying, which is probably my fault. I really have a hard time articulating this properly.

They shouldn't be a sport. They just shouldn't break their own fourth wall.

Now I also happen to think that TNA would be better off marketing themselves like and producing a show like MMA, just with fixed outcomes. They did this exactly one time and it brought about their biggest buyrate ever. But though that's something I'd like to see, that's not really what I'm talking about here.

All I mean is that in the confines of their television show, we are watching a pretend-sport. Not a sitcom or a comedy variety act. Not a sketch-comedy. It makes absolutely no sense that people ignore the camera when they're backstage and it really wouldn't be hard to write a show in very much the same way they're doing with just a few tweaks to prevent the fourth-wall breaking. GTV was a good one. The camera-sneaks up before the wrestlers notice technique is another. There are all manner of ways around it but the writers are just too lazy to bother and would rather be writing sketch comedy or cartoons than being internally consistent. It's a pretend-sport so pretend it's a sport and don't insult the audience's intelligence quite so often.

When's the last time you showed somebody wrestling for the first time and weren't horribly embarrassed? Wouldn't that be a lot better if there weren't so many insulting writing techniques?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

LividLiquid posted:

They just shouldn't break their own fourth wall.

So what, no more backstage segments ever??

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Axo Grande posted:

So what, no more backstage segments ever??
Not where they pretend the camera isn't there, no. Wrestling made it 2 decades on television without pretending there wasn't a camera.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

LividLiquid posted:

Not where they pretend the camera isn't there, no. Wrestling made it 2 decades on television without pretending there wasn't a camera.

Bill watts account spotted

Carbon Tiger
Nov 4, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Agreed. The only reason the camera became invisible is so 1. the 4th rate comedy writers can write stupid skits with pro wrestlers and 2. allow the audience to know things the characters on the show don't

Now the second one can be a drat useful story element for building suspense for the viewer by knowing something the characters do not. Unfortunately most wrestling writers suck and most wrestling characters are written to be idiots so instead of being a plot narrative device it's just used to make stupid characters look stupid.

Aside from getting rid of the camera they also need to bump the IQ points of just about every character on the show. I do recall there being a time when wrestlers were allowed to look intelligent.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

FishBulb posted:

Its not really that surprising, Ax is pretty consistently post modern in his view of things

Oh is that what we're calling his view of things now

Chop Licker
Apr 25, 2005

by mons al-madeen
shut up fags

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Carbon Tiger posted:

Agreed. The only reason the camera became invisible is so 1. the 4th rate comedy writers can write stupid skits with pro wrestlers and 2. allow the audience to know things the characters on the show don't

Now the second one can be a drat useful story element for building suspense for the viewer by knowing something the characters do not. Unfortunately most wrestling writers suck and most wrestling characters are written to be idiots so instead of being a plot narrative device it's just used to make stupid characters look stupid.

Aside from getting rid of the camera they also need to bump the IQ points of just about every character on the show. I do recall there being a time when wrestlers were allowed to look intelligent.

I think it was in Foley's book that if even once they had showed him telling the Rock "oh it's just a misunderstanding let's look at the video" that they would have to do that almost every single time.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Why the heck do you guys hate free ice cream sandwiches so much? :(

Carbon Tiger
Nov 4, 2008

Moose Bigelow posted:

I think it was in Foley's book that if even once they had showed him telling the Rock "oh it's just a misunderstanding let's look at the video" that they would have to do that almost every single time.

That's very true but I think moving away from this overused trope might be a good idea. Just a thought mind you but maybe having heels do heelish things or a face be mistrusting could be based on more solid character traits then a misunderstanding.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

whatsabattle posted:

Because they don't have WWE branded Ice Cream Sandwiches.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

whatsabattle posted:

I only eat pork chop sandwiches.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

KungFu Grip posted:

Because they don't have WWE branded Ice Cream Sandwiches.

Anymore.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
WCW was the company that acted like it was a real sport. Hence why guys would play to the camera in WCW and recognize it was there.

WWF always acted like it was a television show that promoted pro wrestling. Hence why people don't act like a camera is around 99% of the time.

Therefore, WWF is open to whatever fantasy they wish to present. That said, I don't blame people for having an issue. Reminds me of in Sex, Drugs and Cocoa-Puffs where Chuck Klosterman said his neighbour never had an issue with oil being struck in Bayside or the high school in Saved by the Bell having a swimsuit calendar, but Belding trying to want to be Zack's friend was just too much for him to believe.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Good fiction always abides by a certain set of rules. Otherwise it's nonsense.

The fact cameras are backstage doesn't really bother me. The way I see it, the wrestlers are on the road every week of the year, and eventually they don't react to being taped backstage. It's not terribly intelligent but it's a reason.

Now, Chikara proves that humor and professional wrestling aren't antithetical. Santino wrestles a comedy style (nearly 4 minutes ever week!) and there's no reason they couldn't pair him with someone else to work a comedic style.

The Supernatural elements can be restricted to Kane and the Undertaker, generally, under the grandfather clause. They're from a different era.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Fill in the blank memories:

NWA, late 80s. Kevin Sullivan and the Varsity Club drag someone down the aisle using a coat hanger? in any case, dragging them using something around their neck. Someone comes to save the dragged, via full-ring slide; I'd've bet money the saver was Sting, but google and youtube turn up nothing based on what I'm searching for.

Million Internetbucks if you can come up with a video of it, as well.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Deathlove posted:

Fill in the blank memories:

NWA, late 80s. Kevin Sullivan and the Varsity Club drag someone down the aisle using a coat hanger? in any case, dragging them using something around their neck. Someone comes to save the dragged, via full-ring slide; I'd've bet money the saver was Sting, but google and youtube turn up nothing based on what I'm searching for.

Million Internetbucks if you can come up with a video of it, as well.

Rick Steiner, maybe? http://mesmerizationeclipse.blogspot.com/2005_10_01_archive.html

That's the only reference I can find through Google.

Edit: Upon further inspection, it seems Precious was the one doing the strangling.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I noticed a clip on the preview for the Raw DVD sets they've been shilling lately of Mr. Perfect throwing Shawn Michaels onto the hood of a car - Did those two actually feud or was that a random one time thing? Shawn Michaels in matches with Mr. Perfect would have been amazing to see. Perfect's matches with Bret Hart have always been some of my favorites.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I noticed a clip on the preview for the Raw DVD sets they've been shilling lately of Mr. Perfect throwing Shawn Michaels onto the hood of a car - Did those two actually feud or was that a random one time thing? Shawn Michaels in matches with Mr. Perfect would have been amazing to see. Perfect's matches with Bret Hart have always been some of my favorites.

It was on the earlier Raw anniversary set. That was the Fink's car and it cost $3,000 in damages.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Moose Bigelow posted:

It was on the earlier Raw anniversary set. That was the Fink's car and it cost $3,000 in damages.

Wasn't the whole thing a rib on Fink and they got him a new car to replace it?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm assuming that was in the summer of 1993. Perfect cost Michaels the IC Title in a match against Jannetty and after Michaels won it back, he took on Perfect at SummerSlam. Leading up to the match, we were promised that the match would be a 5 star classic. We were lied to.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RUSTY!!! :argh:

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I think they had a little feud, nothing bigtime or main event. From what i heard, the match(es) aren't even close to Bret/Perfect.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

oldpainless posted:

I think they had a little feud, nothing bigtime or main event. From what i heard, the match(es) aren't even close to Bret/Perfect.

They were bad because Perfect was still hurt. He was slower and just didn't have it. The so-called instant classic was 3rd on the card and ended in a count-out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

Which was especially bad since it was promoted as being a potential classic and it just didn't deliver.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rusty Shackelford posted:

They were bad because Perfect was still hurt. He was slower and just didn't have it. The so-called instant classic was 3rd on the card and ended in a count-out.

So I guess something happened to re-injure his back between KOTR 93 with Perfect/Hart and SS 93 with Perfect/HBK? Cuz they're only 2 months apart unless Perfect really used up everything he had in the Bret match.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Thanks for the answers. That's really disappointing - I can only guess that Mr. Perfect fully healed and in his prime against Shawn Michaels fully healed and in his prime would have blown the roof off the place and would have been that classic they were trying to advertise.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Are Gavin Loudspeaker and Louden Noxious the same person? If so, why the name change?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Are Gavin Loudspeaker and Louden Noxious the same person? If so, why the name change?

Yes they are the same person.

One is for Kaiju Big Battel and one for CHIKARA. Also I think it was some sort of gimmick change or something.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Anyone know exactly what happened to Mark Copani, a.k.a. Mohammed Hassan?

Last I heard he went into acting but IMDB doesn't list a single thing he's done. Either he's been that dry for roles (which is surprising) or he just moved onto something else in his life. It's a drat shame since Hassan was one complaint removed from World Heavyweight Champion.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Larry Sweeney had some kind of mental illness issues and that's why he disappeared for a while, right? Or did I just dream that?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

Anyone know exactly what happened to Mark Copani, a.k.a. Mohammed Hassan?

Last I heard he went into acting but IMDB doesn't list a single thing he's done. Either he's been that dry for roles (which is surprising) or he just moved onto something else in his life. It's a drat shame since Hassan was one complaint removed from World Heavyweight Champion.

God I hope not. Someone being a top star who gave so little poo poo about wrestling and had so little aptitude in the ring would have been awful.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Larry Sweeney had some kind of mental illness issues and that's why he disappeared for a while, right? Or did I just dream that?

He's bi polar.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

He's bi polar.

That's right. Man, that poo poo can get NASTY, I have a couple bipolar friends.

I hope Larry can keep everything under control and I'm glad to see him back doing what he loves :unsmith:

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn
Bit late to the wrestling comedy argument, but I just wanted to point out that the greatest comedy wrestler of the last decade was Cody Deaner. If you diagree and say Santino (or anyone else) you are both wrong and retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Hockles posted:

Anymore.

I remember only having one of those ever in my life. And it was Macho Man Randy Savage. It was very good, but the very next week I ordered Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with the Bubble Gum Eyeballs, and it's never been the same since.