Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ShaneB posted:

The 2340M is pretty criminally overlooked, as far as I can tell.
It will be on sale in 6 hours. DVI and VGA only, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tgent posted:

I'm having a really hard time picking a new monitor. I'm after one that is:

IPS
1920x1080
23"+
Very low input lag / good for fast paced gaming
360/ps3/ps4 compatible (ie a hdmi input)
A DVI input as well so I can switch from console to pc without replugging cables
Available locally in Australia

All the good dells either seem to be 16:10 or have a useless display port instead of hdmi, and are quite expensive to boot. I was looking at the Asus MX239H, but it's also quite expensive and I saw quite a few people around posting about them going bad after a few months. I also liked the look of the LG 23EA63V-P until I read about the sharpness bug.

I'm currently looking at the LG IPS234V, although it's almost worryingly cheap ($180 here) and it has about 10ms of input lag, pretty sure that would be ok though from what I've read. Anyone have any other recommendations or advice on the monitors I've mentioned?

e: hah looks like I have almost the same requirements as psion. I can't see the VN248H-P in any australian stores though unfortunately.

You can just grab a cable with HDMI on one end and Displayport on the other end to take care of the port issue. Once that's out of the way you can just get the thread favorite U2312 which fills all your other requirements (Probably, not sure about local availability?) U2312s have essentially no input lag.

Leucos
Jul 31, 2012

Nephilm posted:

You're using HDMI/DVI, right?

Yeah, but that was in self-diagnosis mode, where the monitor had been disconnected from the computer.

Also, here's a new development over the last week. Perhaps it'll turn blue next week or something.

The only thing I can imagine that could remotely be the cause is a pair of really old and lovely speakers that I leave on the whole day next to the right side of the monitor.

Leucos fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 21, 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Leucos posted:

Yeah, but that was in self-diagnosis mode, where the monitor had been disconnected from the computer.

Also, here's a new development over the last week. Perhaps it'll turn blue next week or something.

The only thing I can imagine that could remotely be the cause is a pair of really old and lovely speakers that I leave on the whole day next to the right side of the monitor.

In that case just degauss it...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Leucos posted:

Looks like your monitor was made in Mexico.

Corn Nuts
Jul 16, 2003

Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

You can just grab a cable with HDMI on one end and Displayport on the other end to take care of the port issue. Once that's out of the way you can just get the thread favorite U2312 which fills all your other requirements (Probably, not sure about local availability?) U2312s have essentially no input lag.

Last I heard, these cables only work one way: DisplayPort -> HDMI. The poster wants to plug his ps3/xbox into his monitor, so he would need a bulkier, more expensive "active" adapter to go from HDMI -> DisplayPort. That's money better spent on a better monitor (with HDMI).

Tgent posted:

I'm having a really hard time picking a new monitor. I'm after one that is:

You probably already have, but check if your GPU has a DisplayPort. You can use that for the computer, and a simple HDMI/DVI adapter for your console. That will open your options.

I don't know why I said this because why the hell else would someone have a DisplayPort if it wasn't on the GPU? I'm tired.

Corn Nuts fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 22, 2014

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Leucos posted:

Modern panels don't work that way. If it was a dirty powerline you may notice other problems such as flickering or dimming (beyond what dynamic contrast does), so it's probably not that. Maybe you have a humidity problem? Else you got monitors from the same bad batch.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Looks like your monitor was made in Mexico.

:golfclap:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Corn Nuts posted:

Last I heard, these cables only work one way: DisplayPort -> HDMI. The poster wants to plug his ps3/xbox into his monitor, so he would need a bulkier, more expensive "active" adapter to go from HDMI -> DisplayPort. That's money better spent on a better monitor (with HDMI).

Hm, I'd never heard that before. I'll have to test mine and see if that is in fact true. (I've only used it to hook my laptop with DP out to TVs and receivers HDMI in).

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Here's how it works:

- Passive adapters are just a dumb cable that matches the slots on either side of the connection. It is the output's job then to detect that what's connected on the other side of its DP port is actually an HDMI device, so it instead sends an HDMI signal through the cable. Laptops with just a single displayport output use these.

- Active adapters, on the other hand, actually turn an incoming DisplayPort signal into HDMI, or vice versa. To do this they need a built-in converter chip, hence their cost. Additionally, they only work one way (either DP -> HDMI or HDMI -> DP), never both unless there's an even more outrageously priced adapter I'm unaware of.

The result of this is that if an output device doesn't have some sort of built-in conversion feature, a passive adapter just won't work. As an aside, the reason why AMDs eyefinity only works with up to two HDMI/DVI outputs and needs a DP for the third display is that the hardware clock that regulates the HDMI/DVI signal can only handle up to two, so they 'got around' that limitation by using a DP. If you plug in a third HDMI display using an active adapter things will work just fine, but if you use a passive one then, even if the card can normally convert the signal in its DP output to HDMI, the signal regulation hardware is all used up so no dice.

Aside from Xbox 360 which supported VGA, all other consoles (PS3, PS4 and Xbox One) only support HDMI, so if you wanted to connect them to a displayport screen you'll need an active adapter that'll run you just short of a hundred bucks.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I've recently moved to a new place and I have a lot more space than I used to. I was looking to upgrade my monitor from a 19" to something a bit larger for watching movies on the nearby couch. My main concern is that I am not sure what resolution my graphics card can handle, and I have been running most games at 1680x1050 for the past few years.

This is my current graphics card, an EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti. I am hoping to upgrade to a 27", and if anyone has anything they can suggest for me it would be greatly appreciated.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Your 560 Ti will be fine. It goes up to 2560x1600.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Nephilm posted:

Aside from Xbox 360 which supported VGA, all other consoles (PS3, PS4 and Xbox One) only support HDMI, so if you wanted to connect them to a displayport screen you'll need an active adapter that'll run you just short of a hundred bucks.

Active adapters can be had for about 20 bucks now.

EDIT: Oops misread, yeah HDMI to DisplayPort adaptors are a bit more pricey.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 22, 2014

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Dirty Job posted:

I've recently moved to a new place and I have a lot more space than I used to. I was looking to upgrade my monitor from a 19" to something a bit larger for watching movies on the nearby couch. My main concern is that I am not sure what resolution my graphics card can handle, and I have been running most games at 1680x1050 for the past few years.

This is my current graphics card, an EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti. I am hoping to upgrade to a 27", and if anyone has anything they can suggest for me it would be greatly appreciated.

1920x1080/1200 or 2560x1440? That's the important thing. For the former it'll still be okayish for games though you'll have to sacrifice detail for framerate, for the latter you're not going to be able to run modern games decently at the monitor's native resolution.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I'm eyeing that Dell U2913WM. Anybody have experience with this monitor?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
X-posting from the parts picking thread.

I'm trying to choose between the Asus VN248H-P and the Dell S2340M

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16824236335
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009H0XQRS/?tag=pcpapi-20

Or are there any better monitors at that price point?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KinkyJohn posted:

I was one time enticed by the idea of a bezel-less dual screen setup that the U2913wm promises. But the thing is its only 1080 tall. Also very little is coded to be full width at 1280 wide so when you have two windows side by side they'll have scrollbars at the bottom. On the other hand, all these Korean 27" monitors that get posted will give you the same width and 1440 vertical pixels. The Korean panel just won't be as physically wide. What I'm saying is I can't think of any advantage that 29 inch ultrawide has over the 27" 16:9 panels that are more popular. Now if you were looking at the Dell U3415W that is supposed to be 34400x1440 that's a different story.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 22, 2014

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
How do refresh rates work with multiple monitors? I'd guess that each one runs independently of each other, but how would that affect windowed games that span multiple monitors?

I'm considering buying this monitor, which apparently runs at 75 Hz. I suppose I could just run it at 60 Hz if it ends up being a problem, but I was just curious if anyone had experience with something like this.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
It probably depends on the game. In general they should be rendering to a buffer and whatever buffer is newest is what gets sent to the screen (there's actually like three more steps in that process, but I'm omitting them for simplicity), in which case the refresh rate wouldn't really matter. The rate at which the buffer is updated and the rate at which it is read from are basically independent; it just means that some updates may be skipped or some may be doubled, which isn't actually a big deal.

You might see some sort of tearing from one monitor to the other but I bet it would be pretty hard to notice. You can always just run both at 60hz though if that's a problem, just because the monitor supports 75 doesn't mean you have to use it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KinkyJohn posted:

Coredump posted:

I was one time enticed by the idea of a bezel-less dual screen setup that the U2913wm promises. But the thing is its only 1080 tall. Also very little is coded to be full width at 1280 wide so when you have two windows side by side they'll have scrollbars at the bottom. On the other hand, all these Korean 27" monitors that get posted will give you the same width and 1440 vertical pixels. The Korean panel just won't be as physically wide. What I'm saying is I can't think of any advantage that 29 inch ultrawide has over the 27" 16:9 panels that are more popular. Now if you were looking at the Dell U3415W that is supposed to be 34400x1440 that's a different story.

Don't believe the hate. The resolution is fine, and the experience while gaming is awesome; although if you have the money you should get the 34 inch one. I don't have horizontal scroll bar issues either.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm about to embark on a (probably) somewhat silly journey: Replacing the AUOptronics TN panel in my W520 with an IPS panel. Based on nothing better than internet hearsay that an LG LP156WF4-SLB1 panel from a Sony Vaio SE would fit, I naturally ordered one from one of the random suppliers on Alibaba, along with a special LVDS cable extension to account for the LG panel's connector being on the left side of the screen vs the right side connector on the original AUO B154HW01 v4 screen that came in the laptop.

This should be an interesting experiment, because the reviewed color gamut for this screen is quite a bit smaller than the 95% rated gamut of the TN display, but I've just gotten so damned tired of shifting the screen slightly up or down to hit that TN sweet spot that I think it's worth a shot. Besides, swapping the screen on a Thinkpad is super easy, and the panel itself is pretty cheap.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

So I got one of these cheapo Korean 27" displays for my work maybe a year ago, and I didn't notice this until a month or so ago, but now the whole right edge has what looks like sort of water stains, with darker image on one side and lighter on the other with an irregular edge.

Just curious what causes this and if it is repairable? I've seen this sort of thing before in another really old lovely refurbished lcd I had long ago. I can try to take a picture if necessary but I figure this is probably a common enough thing that someone knows what I'm talking about.

Not a big deal if it can't be fixed, doesn't bother me much since it's only on the edge which I'm not staring at 99% of the time.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Gwaihir posted:

I'm about to embark on a (probably) somewhat silly journey: Replacing the AUOptronics TN panel in my W520 with an IPS panel. Based on nothing better than internet hearsay that an LG LP156WF4-SLB1 panel from a Sony Vaio SE would fit, I naturally ordered one from one of the random suppliers on Alibaba, along with a special LVDS cable extension to account for the LG panel's connector being on the left side of the screen vs the right side connector on the original AUO B154HW01 v4 screen that came in the laptop.

This should be an interesting experiment, because the reviewed color gamut for this screen is quite a bit smaller than the 95% rated gamut of the TN display, but I've just gotten so damned tired of shifting the screen slightly up or down to hit that TN sweet spot that I think it's worth a shot. Besides, swapping the screen on a Thinkpad is super easy, and the panel itself is pretty cheap.

It sounds crazy, but I've seen laptops that use various revisions of a given panel where the location of the connector changed, requiring the use of different LVDS cables (or an extender to take it from one side of the screen to the other). Most laptop panels have the same three or four screw holes on each side to secure it to the hinge bracket, so if that and the LVDS connector match, it's at least worth a shot.

Was the rated gamut on the LG IPS panel measured relative to sRGB or something else, like NTSC, which is much wider?

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 23, 2014

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

peepsalot posted:

So I got one of these cheapo Korean 27" displays for my work maybe a year ago, and I didn't notice this until a month or so ago, but now the whole right edge has what looks like sort of water stains, with darker image on one side and lighter on the other with an irregular edge.

Just curious what causes this and if it is repairable? I've seen this sort of thing before in another really old lovely refurbished lcd I had long ago. I can try to take a picture if necessary but I figure this is probably a common enough thing that someone knows what I'm talking about.

Not a big deal if it can't be fixed, doesn't bother me much since it's only on the edge which I'm not staring at 99% of the time.

If you have a photo, I'm curious to see what it looks like.

While taking my FIRST FSM-270YG apart to clear out some dust trapped behind the LCD matrix, I accidentally pulled one of the pins loose on the LED backlight wire harness. There was barely any solder holding it on in the first place, so it was no surprise this happened. The result of this was that the left side of my screen became slightly darker and dingy than the right. The effect was subtle enough that I wasn't sure if it was like that when I got it a few days earlier. As soon as I soldered the pin back on, everything returned to the way it was supposed to look.

Different LED and wiring arrangements could cause different effects when there are connection problems. For instance, I've seen a couple of MacBook Pros display a "stage light" effect across the bottom because the LVDS cable wasn't seated properly. This kind of connection problem could explain what you're seeing as well. You might check your LED backlight wiring harness to make sure nothing has broken off.

It's worth noting that actual water contamination manifests as concentrated light spots and not dark ones. That can usually be fixed by disassembling the panel down to the backlight and wiping away any trapped moisture between the acrylic diffuser sheets.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 23, 2014

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Zorilla posted:

If you have a photo, I'm curious to see what it looks like.

While taking my FIRST FSM-270YG apart to clear out some dust trapped behind the LCD matrix, I accidentally pulled one of the pins loose on the LED backlight wire harness. There was barely any solder holding it on in the first place, so it was no surprise this happened. The result of this was that the left side of my screen became slightly darker and dingy than the right. The effect was subtle enough that I wasn't sure if it was like that when I got it a few days earlier. As soon as I soldered the pin back on, everything returned to the way it was supposed to look.

Different LED and wiring arrangements could cause different effects when there are connection problems. For instance, I've seen a couple of MacBook Pros display a "stage light" effect across the bottom because the LVDS cable wasn't seated properly. This kind of connection problem could explain what you're seeing as well. You might check your LED backlight wiring harness to make sure nothing has broken off.

It's worth noting that actual water contamination manifests as concentrated light spots and not dark ones. That can usually be fixed by disassembling the panel down to the backlight and wiping away any trapped moisture between the acrylic diffuser sheets.

Ok, here's a lovely cellphone pic with the background set to a grey that accentuates it pretty well. On a pure white background it is much less noticeable. With a black background, I can't see it at all.

While we're on the subject of korean IPS monitor quality, I've also seen on occasion the top line of pixels look like random mess on this monitor(its not doing it now), but I'm not sure if that's the monitor's fault or more likely my video card/drivers.

Its this model by the way: ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite Quad HD FREE Voltage Monitor 2560x1440 16:9 D-Sub NEW

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 23, 2014

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

peepsalot posted:

Ok, here's a lovely cellphone pic with the background set to a grey that accentuates it pretty well. On a pure white background it is much less noticeable. With a black background, I can't see it at all.

Ok, that's definitely not a backlight wiring defect. Maybe it is water after all (or calcium deposits from where water may have been).

I've also seen a panel where you could see dark blotches near the middle, but only when displaying gray. The spots wouldn't show up if you displayed any other color. They were somewhat symmetrical and this was a MacBook Pro, so that could have been pressure marks or some other abuse, though.

You could try disassembling it, taking the steel inner bezel off (careful around the edge ribbons), then laying the panel inside the rear shell and putting it prone on your desk while plugged in and turned on. Since you will have the inner bezel removed, you can lift the LCD matrix from the bottom slightly and see if the defect follows the image on the panel or stays with the backlight. If it's the backlight, you may be able to wipe away any trapped moisture between the diffuser sheets. If it's the panel, you might be screwed.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 23, 2014

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Is the dell U3011 being replaced or will they be producing more?
Does anyone know yet?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zorilla posted:

It sounds crazy, but I've seen laptops that use various revisions of a given panel where the location of the connector changed, requiring the use of different LVDS cables (or an extender to take it from one side of the screen to the other). Most laptop panels have the same three or four screw holes on each side to secure it to the hinge bracket, so if that and the LVDS connector match, it's at least worth a shot.

Was the rated gamut on the LG IPS panel measured relative to sRGB or something else, like NTSC, which is much wider?

Anandtech tested it as coming in at 51% of AdobeRGB/1998: http://anandtech.com/show/5722/sony-vaio-se-an-ips-laptop-for-under-a-grand/6

So, not great:

On the other hand, I have a hardware calibrator that I can use to try and help smooth over the worst bits (maybe). I sorta doubt that the W520's built in meter will work, but who knows.

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Is the dell U3011 being replaced or will they be producing more?
Does anyone know yet?

The U3014 replaced the 3011. I have one, and while it has quite heavy pixel overdrive issues, I like it a lot better than the 3008 I had before.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 23, 2014

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

It's weird because I don't notice pixel overdrive on my U3014 at all in games or movies, but sometimes scrolling down websites/documents can get pretty annoying.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Jack the Lad posted:

It's weird because I don't notice pixel overdrive on my U3014 at all in games or movies, but sometimes scrolling down websites/documents can get pretty annoying.

No, it makes sense - in games/movies there's a lot to keep track of on the screen with multiple shades of colors, but when working with documents you're dealing with clearly defined lines against a contrasting background tone, which is the perfect situation to notice artifacts. It's why overdrive in general is only recommended to be turned on for games and movies.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Jack the Lad posted:

Yea, what Nephilim said. The easiest way to see it is absolutely scrolling down forums with light backgrounds and dark text. The only game I can ever see it in at all is in War Thunder, if I'm looking at a player's dark colored nameplate against a very light sky backdrop. I've never noticed it at all in any other games.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Project franken-IPS-W520 has met with one success, a few delays, and a couple quandaries. (Side note, they sent me an LP156WH4 SL BA panel instead of a LP156WF4-SLB1. No idea what differences that might account for, but the one I got is indeed a 1080 matte IPS screen that is the same size as my current one)

First off, the success: The screen is indeed pin compatible with a Thinkpad:

Known issues that I have to decide how to tackle:
Tabs in the way of hinges, no problem, dremmel that poo poo off.

New screen is thinner than the old one, and lacks the reinforced metal outer skeleton the old screen has to both provide mounting screw points and prevent screen flex:
OK, pad the back of the new screen with double sided adhesive foam to fill out the spot in the mounting rails on the laptop's chassis. The go all :rice: and use some carbon fiber strips across the back of the new screen for rigidity

All this fun will have to wait though, because... the LVDS extension cable I got isn't long enough. And even if it is, I'm going to have to get creative, somehow, because the connector on the new screen is much lower and closer to the hinges than the one on the old:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

peepsalot posted:

While we're on the subject of korean IPS monitor quality, I've also seen on occasion the top line of pixels look like random mess on this monitor(its not doing it now), but I'm not sure if that's the monitor's fault or more likely my video card/drivers.

Its this model by the way: ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite Quad HD FREE Voltage Monitor 2560x1440 16:9 D-Sub NEW

Hm, I have the same sort of issue on my Dell 3007WFP-HC, but that monitor is refurbished and also like 6 years old.

Funnily enough, Something Awful is the site I visit most where it's really noticeable.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Tgent posted:

This looks pretty much perfect and is available from my local store. Reasonably priced too. Thanks!

e: whoops looks like it's actually a VS239H-J , going by the asus site specifications they seem to be exactly the same though.

Ended up getting this, and it does indeed seem to be identical to the VS239H-P (it has the adjustable pixel overdrive). Very happy with it so far. A little spot of backlight bleed in the lower left but I gather that's pretty common even in more expensive panels.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

fookolt posted:

Hm, I have the same sort of issue on my Dell 3007WFP-HC, but that monitor is refurbished and also like 6 years old.

Funnily enough, Something Awful is the site I visit most where it's really noticeable.

That's actually LCD panel de-lamination, and it sucks :<

I ran in to it on my 3008, and yea it tends to show up the most on greys. It's not your drivers or video card.

threeseven
Jan 7, 2001
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Hi guys, just a quick one cross-posted from the PC Building thread. I've tried to take as much info as possible in from this thread but all the model numbers and specifications I'm no longer up to date on are doing my head in.

Would the Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24in be a suitable monitor for a gaming system that will also be used for a bit of photo editing, engineering drawing and SolidWorks/CAD modelling? They are currently marked down from ~$450AUD to $307AUD. A poster in the other thread mentioned that the anti-glare coating and pixel overdrive might be an issue? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks..

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
The P2414H would probably be the better monitor, but I haven't used it or the ultrasharp. It has the same slightly less aggressive anti-glare of the U2713HM without the crosshatching. Also, the overshoot would be lower.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

threeseven posted:

Hi guys, just a quick one cross-posted from the PC Building thread. I've tried to take as much info as possible in from this thread but all the model numbers and specifications I'm no longer up to date on are doing my head in.

Would the Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24in be a suitable monitor for a gaming system that will also be used for a bit of photo editing, engineering drawing and SolidWorks/CAD modelling? They are currently marked down from ~$450AUD to $307AUD. A poster in the other thread mentioned that the anti-glare coating and pixel overdrive might be an issue? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks..

Hello!

I'll post my impression on the P2414H in a couple weeks (if Dell Mexico agrees to sell me poo poo), but I'll say that it's not like the U2412M is bad - at the time it was very good... just had some issues that two years later have been ironed out in newer Dell releases. It still has low input lag and good color reproduction, and if I'm not mistaken it's 1920x1200 which the newer Dells aren't, so it works very well for what you want it. Whether the issues it has are worth looking into other options and possibly spending more money to avoid are up to you.

Personally, grainy matte coating is something I'd like to move away from because, well, crisper is better, so I'm willing to pay more money for that, but it's not a deal breaker. Overdrive overshoot, on the other hand, is something that I can see very easily and irks me to no loving end, and the P2414H made it into my list because it's comparable to implementations I've seen in person that I find agreeable (and also has a bit of a hack to disable it in the service menu).

threeseven
Jan 7, 2001
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Okay thanks, that makes a lot more sense now... I think for the extra $60 I'd be better off just getting the P2414H.

EDIT: Actually, now I think about it - is it important to have HDMI on a monitor now? Can HDMI devices be adapted to work with monitors that don't have HDMI? I can't really think when I'd do it but it would be nice to have the option I guess.

threeseven fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 25, 2014

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Gwaihir posted:

That's actually LCD panel de-lamination, and it sucks :<

I ran in to it on my 3008, and yea it tends to show up the most on greys. It's not your drivers or video card.

And there's no way to repair it? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

threeseven posted:

Okay thanks, that makes a lot more sense now... I think for the extra $60 I'd be better off just getting the P2414H.

EDIT: Actually, now I think about it - is it important to have HDMI on a monitor now? Can HDMI devices be adapted to work with monitors that don't have HDMI? I can't really think when I'd do it but it would be nice to have the option I guess.

If it has a DVI port, then a HDMI-DVI cable is all you need and those are cheap and simple.