Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

eXXon posted:

I'm torn between replying with "no, that rarely ever happens to anyone in games I play" and asking you if you're one of those defensemen who spazzes out and crosschecks anyone within 20 feet of the net.

Hockey is not completely a contest of strength such as greco-roman wrestling. It is also not completely about accurate targeting such as darts. Hockey is a contact sport. The areas with the most contact are also the areas with the best opportunity to score on your opponent.

It isn't that hard to understand. Some positions are dedicated to preventing the opponent from scoring. They are called defensemen for a reason. If you want to stand in the region with the best opportunity to score, you can't complain when a player dedicated to defending his goal wants you out of that region. Since harsh language is mostly ineffective, the defender must use his (or her) body to prevent you from scoring.

Knocking over a player without the puck is interference, and that's a penalty. Making it difficult for a player to score by pushing them away from the optimal scoring position is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

When does the schedule come out?

There's a chance that I'd be able to ditch out early that Friday (the 15th) but I have an exam in the morning so I can't skip all day.

edit: There's a women's division too, I should actually see if I could get a Pandora team together.

I'm actually not sure about the schedule. We're all flying in Thursday night so we can get drunk acclimatized.

You should totes get a team and join the men's division so we can both beat the crap out of the SK team.

Makeo
Aug 5, 2003
I lived in Breckinridge for 6 years before I ever picked up a hockey stick. This thread is making me want to fly out from Australia.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
Helmet Talk: I need a new one. Current one, reebok 6k large, pinches at the temples and gives me a headache, may or may not be due to the fact I accidentally almost backed over it with my car. I just wear a large. Just going to go try a bunch on but are there any that I wont realize suck until after wearing for a game and should definitely avoid? Thanks.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Makeo posted:

I lived in Breckinridge for 6 years before I ever picked up a hockey stick. This thread is making me want to fly out from Australia.

Did you play at the Stephen C West like we do? Did you have outdoor ice back then or (thankfully) just the indoor?

Hey DangerLlama, there is a pond hockey tournament up here this Saturday for Ullr Fest. $100/team for the whole day which is awesome in my opinion. Any interest in joining if I put a team together?

Makeo
Aug 5, 2003
Had never played hockey and it didn't enter my head to do so. It wasn't until I moved back to Melbourne and joined a beginners learn to play hockey class. I constantly regret not getting into hockey earlier and certainly taking the opportunity to play over there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just paid for a 15 week instructional league that has coaches and refs. :black101:

Only downside is it's 7am on Sundays, but 7am is easier to work with than 10pm.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

gently caress yeah dude, congrats. I league is the poo poo. I know dudes that met their teams there and stuck with playing with them for years and years.

And nothing wrong with early games. I'd rather take those than late games any day. The fact you can get 7am games makes me wonder what the youth in the area are doing. They should be the ones skating at that time!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just got the list of names.. there's 108 dudes signed up, including goalies. Divided into 8 teams. :stare:

I was expecting something quite a bit smaller. They basically lay claim to three sheets of ice at this particular rink, from 7am to 11:30 and fill the time up with either clinics or games.

I guess the organizer is surprised by the turnout too. They ran 5 teams through the fall, and got a ton of new people this time around.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Must be a lot of bored hockey fans who decided "gently caress it, I'm gonna play this poo poo if I can't watch it!"

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

xzzy posted:

I just got the list of names.. there's 108 dudes signed up, including goalies. Divided into 8 teams. :stare:

Our learn to play thing got like 13 players, almost enough for one team. Organizer said that they want to try to bring in from somewhere at least a roster of 18.

Also our clinics are at 10-11:30 PM

Games are nearly that late too.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

Did you play at the Stephen C West like we do? Did you have outdoor ice back then or (thankfully) just the indoor?

Hey DangerLlama, there is a pond hockey tournament up here this Saturday for Ullr Fest. $100/team for the whole day which is awesome in my opinion. Any interest in joining if I put a team together?

Ahh, would that I could. Next weekend I'll be up in Winter Park celebrating Ullr's blessings in traditional fashion.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
My team got blown out like 8-2 or something tonight but know what? Hockey is loving awesome and the most fun thing.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

My instructor/teacher/coach has been trying to get me onto one of the C level or lower B teams here hoping that there would be a spot open after someone had dropped out. NOPE. There are 12 teams in our C league, each with full 18 player rosters. Yeah, that's 216 players and there is still demand for more 2 teams. Spring/Summer league is gonna be nuts.

Note, this is just south of Washington DC. Say what you will about the Caps, but there is a good growing market of 20+ year old players. I use the term player lightly though haha

AAB fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 6, 2013

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

gently caress yeah dude, congrats. I league is the poo poo. I know dudes that met their teams there and stuck with playing with them for years and years.

And nothing wrong with early games. I'd rather take those than late games any day. The fact you can get 7am games makes me wonder what the youth in the area are doing. They should be the ones skating at that time!!

Mercifully, during the actual season when I was a kid our games were typically on weekends and more late morning-early afternoon. It was good because we generally had to travel a lot and it was expensive enough to play (my poor mother) without having to get a hotel for a night for one game at 7 am that's 3 hours away.

During preseason and on non-game weekends at our home rink though....yeah, report at 6 am for dryland warm-up and on the ice by 7:30.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

4:50am on ice on Saturdays at the Iceoplex in Addison which was....45 min away? Unless the burnout Russian who was to unlock the doors overslept then it was more like 5:15.

We would get pulled over for violating curfew. One crack of the trunk to get a whiff of our gear and we were on our way.

Oh to be young in suburban Texas :allears:

But house league wasn't that bad. Much more normal times like yours.

xzzy, is this I league limited to brand new players every rotation or will you stay in this league next season? I'm guessing with this kind of turn out it's instructional and the lowest league available so some players have played in it multiple seasons. Which is really smart, IMO. I wish all lower level adult leagues built in 2-3 clinics in place of playing a specific team a 3rd or 4th time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, there's some repeats, though I don't yet know if they kick people out if they get too good. It's a really good time slot so I imagine some people try to linger as long as they can. I know the other sessions that were going have some better skaters but I didn't get to watch them to get a feel for what the skill cap is like. But the head organizer said they'll spread the skill out to keep all teams balanced, and will be setting up the rosters in a couple weeks.

I was in the evaluation group and skated with a lot of first timers.. few guys who couldn't stop, a pile of dudes about like me, and a few who obviously had team experience. There was maybe 5 composite sticks out of ~30 skaters so a lot of gear just got pulled out of storage. :v:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
got knocked out in our championship game today. I am not a happy camper

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
Had my first clinic today and it was a blast! Bunch of skating drills and a brief "game" at the end. Can't wait for next Sunday.
Slight downside, I'm the only adult and there aren't many teenagers either so they merged the kids' clinic with the teen/adult group. Whatever, still awesome!

Edit: wtf hockey stops. Still a mystery to me.

loving bro hug fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 7, 2013

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

bewbies posted:

got knocked out in our championship game today. I am not a happy camper

Physically knocked out or just your team getting knocked out? If you were physically knocked out, do you remember what happened?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I reffed three beginner level beer league hockey games tonight and one of the teams was all hacky and slashy and they had a fuckin guy heckling the refs in the stands. Like yelling really loud. Serious business.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Topoisomerase posted:

I reffed three beginner level beer league hockey games tonight and one of the teams was all hacky and slashy and they had a fuckin guy heckling the refs in the stands. Like yelling really loud. Serious business.
One of my old teams had a guys girlfriend who'd do that. The best was when one of the refs yelled at her to shutup.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Topoisomerase posted:

In Colorado I watched a fan get ejected from a game for taunting and threatening a referee in a beginner level game. Rink staff had to come and physically take him from the rink. If I remember correctly, the call was against the team he was rooting for but it was only something like an interference call, nothing huge. It was one of the more :psyduck: moments I'd had in that league.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^^ lol 2 of the calls I made that this guy was carrying on about for like 2-3 minutes at a time were pretty clear 2 min interference calls too.

real_scud posted:

One of my old teams had a guys girlfriend who'd do that. The best was when one of the refs yelled at her to shutup.

This guy had a voice that just carried throughout the entire rink and every time anything happened to the team that he didn't like he was just all BULLSHIT WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU BITCH/DICKHEAD (depending on whether myself or my partner called it).

I did figure out though, when a guy barreled over the goalie and I called a goaltender interference on him and he was all "But I just lost an edge!!!" it shut him up pretty quick to be like "I think you're a better skater than that" because he didn't want to take the ego hit to argue with that. Yeah that's right I can play your dumb mind games too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^ Ohhh, was it a Bronze game last night?

We had an instance probably about a year ago where this dude's MOM tried to run onto the ice after he took a punch. It took about 5 minutes of him convincing her that shutting the door and going back to sit down was probably for the best.

A couple months back during the current season, she's yelling like normal. One of the refs skates over to our dude and is like "dude, your mom keeps yelling at me."

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

^^ Ohhh, was it a Bronze game last night?

Yes. The Scorpions were the team involved.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Topoisomerase posted:

^^^ lol 2 of the calls I made that this guy was carrying on about for like 2-3 minutes at a time were pretty clear 2 min interference calls too.

This guy had a voice that just carried throughout the entire rink and every time anything happened to the team that he didn't like he was just all BULLSHIT WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU BITCH/DICKHEAD (depending on whether myself or my partner called it).

I did figure out though, when a guy barreled over the goalie and I called a goaltender interference on him and he was all "But I just lost an edge!!!" it shut him up pretty quick to be like "I think you're a better skater than that" because he didn't want to take the ego hit to argue with that. Yeah that's right I can play your dumb mind games too.

Man, I do not miss playing Bronze/D/Beginning/Whatever. Then again, it's not that the upper levels have these problems, they just seem to be fewer.

e: I English good.

Bradf0rd fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 7, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Yes. The Scorpions were the team involved.

Awesome, I think I'm going to be playing with the Honey Badgers against them next Sunday. I'll see if I can get superfan riled up.

e: If you ref it, let me get away with a trip :v:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 7, 2013

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Captain just informed us plebs that he's added another guy to our roster, bringing us to 16(?!?) with the declaration that "he can skate, and has 7 points in 8 games one division lower than us." The forward alternate didn't know anything about it so there's apparently going to be a come to jesus about adding randoms to the roster without any of us getting to see if he really sucks or not. Like we needed another generic winger that may or may not score all of his points cherry picking on defenses that can't keep up.

On the plus side, tonight I think we're skating on the same ice the Texas Tornados use so it should be free of toepick scarring!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know, I've skated a few times on ice directly after high level skaters have used it and they tear that poo poo up. Practices seem to be worse than games.. massive holes all over the place and it feels like skating on a washboard.

I'm guessing it takes multiple passes from a zamboni to clean those up, and the 10 minute quickie I normally see doesn't do much other than clean up the snow.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

It'll be a clean sheet. We've skated on it before and it's always pristine. Across town the Allen Americans play and occasionally pickup will be on their ice and it's the same way, perfect.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

delpheye posted:

Captain just informed us plebs that he's added another guy to our roster, bringing us to 16(?!?) with the declaration that "he can skate, and has 7 points in 8 games one division lower than us." The forward alternate didn't know anything about it so there's apparently going to be a come to jesus about adding randoms to the roster without any of us getting to see if he really sucks or not. Like we needed another generic winger that may or may not score all of his points cherry picking on defenses that can't keep up.

On the plus side, tonight I think we're skating on the same ice the Texas Tornados use so it should be free of toepick scarring!

Man, I remember when they played in North Richland Hills. Everything moved to Allen/Plano, huh?

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

The Tornados play in Frisco at the Stars practice facility, the Texas Stars play in uh.. Cedar Hill, and the Allen Americans play in a new rink Allen built for them that has a public rink next door. That, plus StarCenters in Plano, McKinney, and Farmer's Branch as well as independent rinks in Richardson and Denton means hockey is all over the place. So kind of, yeah. The Brahmas are still in Fort Worth though.

7-4 blowout last night. The first game after winter break and we all looked like fat old men out there. Most of us did zero skating during the break. The worst refs ever. In the way of skaters trying to get pucks out of the zone, called a center for slashing on the goalie when he was going after a puck that the goalie didn't possess. Refused to get out of the way of the bench during line changes. I got boarded, cup checked and elbowed to the face almost simultaneously, and the ref called it a clean hit. So I returned the favor on the next play and went to the box. The other team gave me some room to breathe after that, but naturally the refs didn't. loving refs. Lazy skating, poo poo passes into outer space, relentless bitching on the bench... my tournament plans are starting to take shape. On the plus side, the random rear end in a top hat the captain added didn't show and 5 minutes before faceoff texted to say he was moving to south Texas so he wouldn't be able to play.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I got called for an intentional delayed offside Sunday night. I definitely cleared out of the damned zone, was the last one out, and proceeded to go back in on the forecheck. As I got to the puck, the guy turned around and we bumped each other (I got smacked in the face with his stick), but we both hit the ice. Team captain argued about it being bullshit, to which the ref smugly said "you want me to call boarding?".

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I think you summed it up completely with "smug ref." Intentional delayed offsides is something we get called for when the refs are pissed off at us, or are completely full of themselves.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Played outside pickup last week and it was my first skate in a few months, first ice in about a year and it was rough. The weather, cardio, choppy ice and sloppy stick handling made it interesting but it was still a lot of fun and I managed a handful of goals. Looking forward to playing again tomorrow. A few ushl guys were there making fools of everyone. It was fun defending them.

Hopefully my groin doesn't hurt 2 days after like last time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So this happened last night against us in Silver:

For his 4 goals, this dude took it coast-to-coast, literally dangled through all 5 players on our team, and shelved it all on his own. He tried to get the refs to give his goals to someone else so it doesn't look as bad. One of our guys googled his name today, and someone with the exact same name played juniors in Minnesota. Whether it's the same dude or not, :iiam:, but man, he's gotta feel good about that.

Of course, we lost 5-4.

The best part about all of this, is that this dude plays BRONZE as well. Word on the street from the Captains, is that he just recently got banned from taking shots down in Bronze, on the same team that Topo just mentioned had her favorite superfan.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So this happened last night against us in Silver:

For his 4 goals, this dude took it coast-to-coast, literally dangled through all 5 players on our team, and shelved it all on his own. He tried to get the refs to give his goals to someone else so it doesn't look as bad. One of our guys googled his name today, and someone with the exact same name played juniors in Minnesota. Whether it's the same dude or not, :iiam:, but man, he's gotta feel good about that.

Of course, we lost 5-4.

The best part about all of this, is that this dude plays BRONZE as well. Word on the street from the Captains, is that he just recently got banned from taking shots down in Bronze, on the same team that Topo just mentioned had her favorite superfan.

In my league, we had a guy who tried that and he was banned from D3. He tried play in D2, but they forced him to play D1 because he clearly can't control himself.

We do have players that sandbag, but they generally do a decent job of not going full throttle. This guy was not one of them.

delpheye posted:

I think you summed it up completely with "smug ref." Intentional delayed offsides is something we get called for when the refs are pissed off at us, or are completely full of themselves.

I honestly was so goddamned confused about the call but whatever.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I have love/hate relationship with ringers. I don't mind them in the sense that it's fun to face a more skilled shooter and sometimes having a good player or two helps keep an otherwise bad team competitive and makes the league a little more interesting. However, then you get the guys who don't pass, take the puck coast to coast every time, and just take over the game and try to score 7 goals every time. I could see how be dominant once or twice would be fun, but you'd think not being challenged would get boring pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Your best bet against a hot-shot is to try to get under their skin by being as aggro as possible. Eventually they'll 3-minor* their way right out of the game.

(Where applicable)