Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

dorkanoid posted:

I'm soon owning one, I think!

I'm not familiar with adapting lenses, does it affect the crop factor at all? (I've bought m42->MFT and m42->EF adapters)

Crop factor is always 2 on micro four thirds. It's the size of the sensor that determines it not the adapter.

(Well, speedboosters exist but that's a different story.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Linedance posted:

Has anyone messed around with manual focus lenses (leica, voigtlander, etc) and focus peaking on m4/3 bodies? How accurate is it? Or does it even work?

I have a bunch of Nikon AI/s lenses that I use with my NEX-5N. It works, but you have to use the 9x zoom feature to get tack-sharp focus. It takes a bit of time and is somewhat annoying so don't expect to shoot sports or anything with fast motion with it.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Crop factor is always 2 on micro four thirds. It's the size of the sensor that determines it not the adapter.

(Well, speedboosters exist but that's a different story.)

I thought the distance from the sensor also modified it (as some adapters have a lot of, well, extra distance)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Linedance posted:

Has anyone messed around with manual focus lenses (leica, voigtlander, etc) and focus peaking on m4/3 bodies? How accurate is it? Or does it even work?

I have one of the back buttons on my om-d set to turn on the focus assist (zoom in on a spot) function. It's fast and easy once you get used to it.

dorkanoid posted:

I thought the distance from the sensor also modified it (as some adapters have a lot of, well, extra distance)

All the adapters are doing are putting the lens the correct distance away from the sensor for whatever mount you're supposed to be using.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Chill Callahan posted:

I have a bunch of Nikon AI/s lenses that I use with my NEX-5N. It works, but you have to use the 9x zoom feature to get tack-sharp focus. It takes a bit of time and is somewhat annoying so don't expect to shoot sports or anything with fast motion with it.

After getting the attachable evf it was a lot easier to manually focus with peaking and not have to 9x it. It's pricey but worth it, although I wish it were useable on other newer cameras.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

heffray posted:

some sort of 20-25mm prime: $250-400 (there's a Panasonic 25/f1.4 in the gear thread for $250, which is a great lens)

Just grabbed this one, to go along w/ the M10 I just ordered. So stoked!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

Crossposting from the best thread, but the olympus weathersealing is great.

What do you shoot in the snow. There is no color outside.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

rio posted:

After getting the attachable evf it was a lot easier to manually focus with peaking and not have to 9x it. It's pricey but worth it, although I wish it were useable on other newer cameras.

I've been thinking about getting a GX-7 for ages, and it has a built in one. I've played around with it in store, and it seems to work well in MF mode on whatever kit lens they have installed, but that's just going by the results on the LCD. I was just wondering how it would fare with a fully manual lens, and if focus peaking is actually useful on an older manual lens.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

whatever7 posted:

What do you shoot in the snow. There is no color outside.

embrace the dystopian winter

c41030.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

c41032.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

c41003.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P4220979.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P4110537.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P3040183.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img012.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Fallout on Campus by MrDespair, on Flickr

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

embrace the dystopian winter

I can hear the music in Fargo now. ;)

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Goodnight, sweet prince.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-olympus-e-m5-production-ended/

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Any word on if the E-M6 have any big changes, or will it all be like EVF resolution and stuff?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hocus Pocus posted:

Any word on if the E-M6 have any big changes, or will it all be like EVF resolution and stuff?

EM5 has been replaced by both EM1 and EM10.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

whatever7 posted:

EM5 has been replaced by both EM1 and EM10.
The replacement for the E-M5 is coming in February by all accounts: http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-e-m5-successor-to-be-announced-first-week-of-february-bit-different-from-the-looks/

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I haven't really gone out and shot anything yet, but so far I am fairly impressed with the E-M10 I ordered. Build quality is better than I was expecting.

I also saw amazon and an option to get a free camera bag with it, so I e-mailed support and instead of giving me just a free bag they offered 10% back on my order so I guess I'll get a nice new SDXC card or something.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Free bag probably would have sucked, so free money is much better.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Sample images shot w/ the upcoming Fuji 50-140(70-200) 2.8 . Wide open @ 1600 ISO @ 140mm(200):

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/di..._ois_wr_004.JPG
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/di..._ois_wr_005.JPG

SOOC.

Initial reports are it's focusing just as fast as the big boy's 70-200 2.8s' :toot:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 16, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

70-200 2.8 equalvalent. Wide open @ 1600 ISO @ 140mm(200):

so what is the lens actually? There's no reason to say imaginary focal lengths.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Sorry I forgot Fuji's crop factor is a tad different from the others. It's 50-140.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

50-140

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

More info.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Pardon my ignorance, but don't non-full-frame Fujis just rock the usual 1.5x crop?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but don't non-full-frame Fujis just rock the usual 1.5x crop?

Yup, as far as I know all APS-C cameras not made by Canon use x1.5.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

So 75-210 in 35mm equivalent.

Close enough imho.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Olympus is doing their Black Friday deals early, most notable of which is a new EM-5 body for $599, which is a great loving deal.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Does anyone have one of those M-whatever (Fuji, Oly, Sony) helicoid adapters? I remember the Hawks one coming out, I see now there are some generic imitators at about 1/5th the price.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I haven't bought an SD card in I can't remember how long and am about to pick up an x100T.

Can someone give me a clue what I should be looking for in performance/value and or point me to the best card to pick up on Amazon?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MMD3 posted:

I haven't bought an SD card in I can't remember how long and am about to pick up an x100T.

Can someone give me a clue what I should be looking for in performance/value and or point me to the best card to pick up on Amazon?

Fuji bundled Toshiba UHS2 SD cards with the first batch of XT1 if IRC. So I assume that's the "official" card. Samsung also make some cheap "Pro" cards.

http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php...osd&firstonly=1

Personally, if I am going to spend 50+ on a SD card, I rather spend it on a eye-fi card.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Does the x100T support SDXC? I am looking for the same kind of thing for my OM-D E-M10, and pretty much every SDXC card that is around like 64GB in size and say they are rated for something like 90MB/s have pretty good ratings and some are only $30.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am sure even the XE1/XM1 support my 64gb SDXC card, I can check it for you tonight.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
What is the best telephoto (100mm+) I could put on an e-mount for around $500 or less? Getting an adapter or using full manual isn't a problem. I know there are dslr mounts for pretty much every system available, but I have no idea what lens would be good to use with that.

edit: ^^ I used a 64gb sdxc in my x-e1 when I had it and it worked with no issues. I don't think there are any recent cameras that don't support exFAT and even if there is you can format to FAT32. Not sure how performance would compare though.

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 18, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

JHVH-1 posted:

Does the x100T support SDXC? I am looking for the same kind of thing for my OM-D E-M10, and pretty much every SDXC card that is around like 64GB in size and say they are rated for something like 90MB/s have pretty good ratings and some are only $30.

looks like this is the sweetspot:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CFU7Q5HEDTWXSML

whatever7 posted:

Personally, if I am going to spend 50+ on a SD card, I rather spend it on a eye-fi card.

but the x100t already has WiFi :shrug:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MMD3 posted:

looks like this is the sweetspot:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CFU7Q5HEDTWXSML

but the x100t already has WiFi :shrug:

It doesn't automatically push photos to your phone/tablet/laptop. Well at lease not on the XM1. Maybe x100t has better wifi.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Nondescript Van posted:

What is the best telephoto (100mm+) I could put on an e-mount for around $500 or less? Getting an adapter or using full manual isn't a problem. I know there are dslr mounts for pretty much every system available, but I have no idea what lens would be good to use with that.

edit: ^^ I used a 64gb sdxc in my x-e1 when I had it and it worked with no issues. I don't think there are any recent cameras that don't support exFAT and even if there is you can format to FAT32. Not sure how performance would compare though.

The Nikon 180/2.8 ED (avoid the newer IF version) is in that price range and is pretty baller. The official 70-210 isn't too shabby either, and is nice and light for portability.

e. The one that looks like

The newer EDIF version is the same price used roughly, but manual focus on it sucks and it just doesn't feel as durable, with no significant optical improvements.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Mr. Despair posted:

The Nikon 180/2.8 ED (avoid the newer IF version) is in that price range and is pretty baller. The official 70-210 isn't too shabby either, and is nice and light for portability.

e. The one that looks like

The newer EDIF version is the same price used roughly, but manual focus on it sucks and it just doesn't feel as durable, with no significant optical improvements.

Is that the ai-s version you're talking about? Or is that another different model? Also, what do you use to your rpi? Is it camera related? I have an extra one laying around.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I really like the 80-200 f4, it is a good lens.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

JHVH-1 posted:

A quick check on my X100T (and also the original X100) shows an SDXC logo on the battery door, so it looks like you're good to go.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Nondescript Van posted:

Is that the ai-s version you're talking about? Or is that another different model? Also, what do you use to your rpi? Is it camera related? I have an extra one laying around.

His is the AI-S version yeah, same as I have. The AF version, if you're mount-adapting, is just more expensive for a shittier focus ring.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Nondescript Van posted:

Yeah, I use it as a prop to hold up cameras when I take pictures of them.

I was using it as a server for a while but it was juuuust a bit too underpowered to keep up with it, haven't figured out what to use it for next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dkennedys8
May 16, 2005
Don't read this!

Mr. Despair posted:

The 12-40 is just awesome.

P9160040.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Love my om-d.

Is the 12-40mm worth the pennies? I just sold off my 50-200SWD and E-30. Looking to get either the 12-40 or a few primes; Panny 25mm and maybe the 17mm. Probably will go 12-40 route but just on the fence because its 2.8 and not 2.