Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

https://wh.gov/scotus#confirmation-tracker

The "number of days" for Garland ticks up every day. Looking forward to seeing how this looks in... 200+ days when it hasn't budged from the first stage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

In the short run, yes. In the long run it's destroyed the party and will leave them crippled for a generation.

It's not their fault all those solid conservative justices tend to become more sane liberal once they're given a lifetime appointment to the most prestigious job they could ever hope for. They pretty much have to go for justices that have chugged the kool-aid to have any hope of not getting Soutered again.

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please

climboutonalimb posted:

I'm still frustrated at this pick because of Garland's age. If this isn't a sacrificial appointment, then IMO this is a huge Obama blunder. This is the opportunity to stack the court with liberals for a good while but instead he picks an aging centrist who's older than John Roberts and will likely get replaced by the two term conservative president that is elected when Hilary's re-elect campaign fails.

Garland's age kind of sucks but Obama has a 0.01% chance of getting him on the Supreme Court and a 0.0000000001% chance of appointing someone to the left of him.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Reaganomicon posted:

Garland's age kind of sucks but Obama has a 0.01% chance of getting him on the Supreme Court and a 0.0000000001% chance of appointing someone to the left of him.

Keep in mind both percentages are pretty much the same so he might as well get more of a leftist anyway. It's like when he was debating healthcare. He kept steering right despite receiving nothing for doing so.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He may have been the only one who agreed to do it, guys.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

showbiz_liz posted:

Why are people acting like Garland is Scalia 2.0 and someone Obama would have had to hold his nose to nominate? Isn't it perfectly likely that Obama (who is not nearly as much of a flaming leftist as people like to imagine) just thinks this guy (whose record is lightyears to the left of Scalia's) would be a good justice?

He is old as poo poo and why settle?

Plus I'm pretty loving salty it isn't a sista

gohmak fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 17, 2016

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

euphronius posted:

He may have been the only one who agreed to do it, guys.

He seemed so happy to get the nomination... did nobody tell him? :ohdear:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Deteriorata posted:

In the short run, yes. In the long run it's destroyed the party and will leave them crippled for a generation.

Said liberal pundits since 2001

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

gohmak posted:

Said liberal pundents since 2001

There probably will never be another republican president.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Keep in mind both percentages are pretty much the same so he might as well get more of a leftist anyway.

Orrrr, he might as well pick someone who makes the GOP look like asses.

Look how many of them have already been forced to declare that their position has nothing to do with Garland's merits as a nominee. They're backed into this hilarious petty position of "We're fine with the nominee but we don't like who nominated him" and I doubt it'll play well with the public.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Keep in mind both percentages are pretty much the same so he might as well get more of a leftist anyway. It's like when he was debating healthcare. He kept steering right despite receiving nothing for doing so.

A more leftist guy gives Republicans a valid reason to oppose him. A bland white centrist gives them no political cover and helps the Democrats in the 2016 Senate races.

If he's not going to get confirmed anyway, then going for the guy with immediate political value matters more.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

euphronius posted:

I predict there will be one 2020.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

gohmak posted:

I predict there will be one 2020.

:toxx: or bust bro.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Deteriorata posted:

A more leftist guy gives Republicans a valid reason to oppose him. A bland white centrist gives them no political cover and helps the Democrats in the 2016 Senate races.

If he's not going to get confirmed anyway, then going for the guy with immediate political value matters more.

Not only this but nominating someone much younger and lefter than Garland will taint that future candidate. It's pretty much the best move Obama can make other than a token gesture to win over the far left crowd... which would still hate him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

euphronius posted:

You could have said the same after Clinton's high on the hog 90s
But we elected the most bland, white bread cardboard cut out of a person to represent the Democratic party and....

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

But we elected the most bland, white bread cardboard cut out of a person to represent the Democratic party and....

He won??

Also, no, totally different eras.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FilthyImp posted:

Not really since the demographics weren't as absolutely stacked against republicans in presidential elections as they are now.

Right now republicans have to essentially sweep every single "swing" state to get to 270 while democrats only have to win one swing state that isn't New Hampshire to win, and there are several swing states that are getting more and more blue every year.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FilthyImp posted:

Well fortunately Obama is not loving his interns.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not really since the demographics weren't as absolutely stacked against republicans in presidential elections as they are now.

Right now republicans have to essentially sweep every single "swing" state to get to 270 while democrats only have to win one swing state that isn't New Hampshire to win, and there are several swing states that are getting more and more blue every year.

And their primary process appears to be broken.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

computer parts posted:

Well fortunately Obama is not loving his interns.

The intern-loving isn't what sank the Democrats, it was nominating one Albert Arnold Gore, Jr. for the presidency.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Chamale posted:

The intern-loving isn't what sank the Democrats, it was nominating one Albert Arnold Gore, Jr. for the presidency.

who then went on to win the election

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He won but whatever it's not relevant to today. For the foreseeable future it is extremely unlikely the GOP wins the White House in its present form . This point I only made to support the idea that the GOP is loving itself nationally.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

A Winner is Jew posted:

Isn't Texas turning blue, too?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

You're all being way too optimistic and short-sighted. If nothing changes then the Republicans can't win, sure. But if there's a terrorist attack or recession in the next eight months we're looking at President Trump.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the loss of :arzy: is still sharply felt to this day

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Garland's roll in the court would be to replace Kennedy as the center, complaining about that fundamentally misunderstands the role of the court instead casting it solely as a place to win 5-4 decisions over social conservatives.. What you need is an impeccable jurist who can hold the center in a more favorable place. You don't need a 48 year old to camp out on the seat for four decades to do that, you want that person to be your progressive lion. A centrists who can craft solid 6-3 majorities is good for the institution while allowing for those crucial 5-4 decisions that don't require dragging Kennedy to the center or a surprise Roberts legacy vote.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Waltzing Along posted:

It's starting to, but Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Colorado will be solidly blue before then and any one of those becoming a democrat lock means that republicans would have to steal a blue states to win.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I still don't comprehend that Roberts ACA opinion.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

euphronius posted:

http://www.theonion.com/article/scalia-thomas-roberts-alito-suddenly-realize-they--32972

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

:derp: Obama is down 2 points Arzy or :smug: unskew the polls Romney is winning Arzy?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

gohmak posted:

:derp: Obama is down 2 points Arzy or :smug: unskew the polls Romney is winning Arzy?

oh nice!

first one, then the other

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chamale posted:

You're all being way too optimistic and short-sighted. If nothing changes then the Republicans can't win, sure. But if there's a terrorist attack or recession in the next eight months we're looking at President Trump.

We had a "terrorist attack" last year and all that happened is that Apple's now in court about privacy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm still not convinced The Onion doesn't have an actual crystal ball.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Remember how the voters punished W for 911.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

euphronius posted:

He won but whatever it's not relevant to today. For the foreseeable future it is extremely unlikely the GOP wins the White House in its present form .

Which is why there's a guerrilla movement to sneak in by night and add a nice verandah off the back.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius posted:

From what I recall, he thought Kennedy was going to vote to uphold it. That way, Roberts could oppose the decision without striking the ACA down. When it turned out that Kennedy thought the ACA was unconstitutional, Roberts was basically forced to actually do his job. He ended up writing both the decision and the dissent, if I'm not mistaken.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

How much are smilies again?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Clinton/Castro against Trump, you tell me.

:getin:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

mdemone posted:

Clinton/Castro against Trump, you tell me.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Obama lost Texas 57%-41% to Romney, by a vote margin of less than 1.3 million.

61% of eligible-voter Hispanics in Texas did not vote in the 2012 presidential election. That's more than 2.5 million people.

Romney beat Obama 53%-47% among white women in Texas, who make up more than 4.5 million votes.

I can keep going if you're not there yet.