Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Robocraft vehicles can be made in any shape you want, but as you progress into higher tiers, the cost of components and functionality tends to narrow down the designs into fairly similar, small profiled beds or spidery designs.

Once in awhile though, there are pretty great craft floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Orv posted:

It was probably meant to come out at the same time.

There has literally never been a GTA game that came out on PC at the same time as consoles*. It's very rare for Rockstar games to do so in general.

e: Okay so San Andreas hit PC the same day as the Xbox 1 (the first one) port, but that was one example a decade ago.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 13, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Huh, Ringrunner, looks like a short game, I'll check it out quickly before going to bed and probably toss it into the "mediocre" category.

Wait, why is the sun suddenly coming up?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lords of the Black Sun released after being Early Access. It promises a dope space 4x experience. Anybody played it?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Palpek posted:

Lords of the Black Sun released after being Early Access. It promises a dope space 4x experience. Anybody played it?

Some not very good reviews within the board there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Farcry 3 is a hell of a lot of fun to play but man is it a perfect example of the frustrations of open world gameplay fit into a very specific single-player narrative. Cutscene immunity for the bad guys, cutscene incompetence for the PC despite the fact he's already conquered the entire island and turned the rebels into the defacto Government - I'm not sure where Vaas and his soldiers are based anymore since there isn't a single stronghold on the island I haven't singlehandedly wiped out, but apparently everybody is still living in fear of him and his pirates omnipresent threat.

All the stuff between those cutscenes and the rather uninspired story of a rich white kid becoming better at being a native warrior than all the natives is a hell of a lot of fun to play though!

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.
Is anything in the capcom deals worth picking up? I played RE4 when it first came out and enjoyed it but haven't played anything else on that list.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

I was unimpressed during EA, but I will play the final version and yell at you about it later.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

How are the recent resident evil games? I haven't played one since Code Veronica, but am tempted by the sales this weekend.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Binary Domain is lots of stupid fun. I feel like I'm playing a bad movie.

That romance scene though... where the hell did that come from?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Binary Domain is lots of stupid fun. I feel like I'm playing a bad movie.

That romance scene though... where the hell did that come from?

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I feel like I'm playing a bad movie.

You pretty much answered yourself. Just go along with it. Best B-movie/game thingy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Lord of the Black Sun: Is this one Master of Orion 2?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gort posted:

Even if it got better, no, no not really.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Envy Insanity posted:

Is anything in the capcom deals worth picking up? I played RE4 when it first came out and enjoyed it but haven't played anything else on that list.

RE4 HD is really really good. They even made the game run at 60fps and then patched in new, better lighting. It's probably the best version of RE4 you can get nowadays.

5 and 6 are still poo poo in sp though, get these only if you want to play co-op

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.

Terminally Bored posted:

RE4 HD is really really good. They even made the game run at 60fps and then patched in new, better lighting. It's probably the best version of RE4 you can get nowadays.

5 and 6 are still poo poo in sp though, get these only if you want to play co-op

Nice thanks, I'll pick up RE4 because I loved it before and I'd be pretty happy playing it through again but I'll pass on the others. Thanks for saving me some cash! I live in Europe and all my gaming friends are in the US so I'm playing alone 90% of the time.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm playing through Naruto: UNS3 and it's extremely well polished and looks absolutely amazing, but most of the time i kinda just feel like i'm watching the show. It's probably 75% cutscenes with a few fights in between.

I've not actually seen the show so i'm kinda ambivalent about spending another 10 hours playing through it when i could probably just put the show on TV in the background and play something else instead.

Does the game get more compelling to play as you go through it?

I just had what felt like a half hour cutscene which made me think i could just be watching the TV show instead.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Terminally Bored posted:

So, I'm an odd little duck that couldn't really get into the earlier Resident Evil games, and what little I played of 5 (coop) and 6 (have on steam, Solo), I'm not the biggest fan of. However, I did really enjoy RE:Revelations on the 3DS. Hell, to date it's the only ResEvil game I've actually beaten.

So, considering it's that much newer, is RE4 worth trying? I played maybe an hour on the PS2, and I didn't hate it, but having tried and blown off most other RE games before Revelations, I dunno how I'd feel about this :10bux: investment.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gort posted:

Imagine 4Xs on the edge of space. Say a direct copy of eXplore is sent to the back of the line of 4Xs and takes the place of eXpand. The formerly first eXpand becomes eXploit, eXploit becomes eXterminate, and the last eXplore falls off Orion.

The space 4X genre works the same way.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

When was the last time Far Cry 3 & Blood Dragon went on sale?

Basically recreating my old console library on Steam now since I finally fully moved to to PC games entirely after my upgrade.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Last Emperor posted:

When was the last time Far Cry 3 & Blood Dragon went on sale?

Basically recreating my old console library on Steam now since I finally fully moved to to PC games entirely after my upgrade.

I think it was on sale from Humble Bundle a week or two ago.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 13, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Jerusalem posted:

Farcry 3 is a hell of a lot of fun to play but man is it a perfect example of the frustrations of open world gameplay fit into a very specific single-player narrative. Cutscene immunity for the bad guys, cutscene incompetence for the PC despite the fact he's already conquered the entire island and turned the rebels into the defacto Government - I'm not sure where Vaas and his soldiers are based anymore since there isn't a single stronghold on the island I haven't singlehandedly wiped out, but apparently everybody is still living in fear of him and his pirates omnipresent threat.

All the stuff between those cutscenes and the rather uninspired story of a rich white kid becoming better at being a native warrior than all the natives is a hell of a lot of fun to play though!

The story in that game is pretty much a parody, except they apparently want you to take it seriously. Blood Dragon does it better. Im near the end, I keep on dying in that helicopter escape thing because they shoot missiles at me before I can even swivel around the gun enough to target the enemies.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Gort posted:

Distant Worlds is! See look:

That's only half the galaxy explored. Nobody knows what's going on in the other half. I'm going to probably have to go to war with the purple guys in the centre soon. That'll be difficult.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Morter posted:

So, I'm an odd little duck that couldn't really get into the earlier Resident Evil games, and what little I played of 5 (coop) and 6 (have on steam, Solo), I'm not the biggest fan of. However, I did really enjoy RE:Revelations on the 3DS. Hell, to date it's the only ResEvil game I've actually beaten.

So, considering it's that much newer, is RE4 worth trying? I played maybe an hour on the PS2, and I didn't hate it, but having tried and blown off most other RE games before Revelations, I dunno how I'd feel about this :10bux: investment.

Well, the main problem with RE4 is that it did many new things very well but newer games took those ideas and refined them. For example: the QTEs, the contextual controls, (very basic) cover system that is used maybe twice in the whole game. If you don't mind the gameplay being a little archaic then you'll get maybe the best action-horror game ever made. It's got great level design, excellent pacing, really memorable locales, great weapons, cool stuff to unlock, etc. The plot is complete poo poo but it's the funniest RE so far and it doesn't even continue the story of Umbrella, so you don't even have to bother with the plot of previous games to enjoy it. RE4 just puts you up in some shithole in Spain and sets some crazy villagers at you. After few hours you're hunting lake monsters and giant mutants. Still my favorite RE (after 2).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Reviews for Facerig on the steam store are kind of terrifying right now.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

SynthOrange posted:

Reviews for Facerig on the steam store are kind of terrifying right now.

Nuka Tiger posted:

I love this program, because it allows me to be a cute lovable mew.
:gonk:

.ichibo. posted:

This doesn't track my real ball gag /at all/.

It does a great job of tracking my tail and murrsuit though.
:gonk:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Thank you for indirectly teaching me what a murrsuit is. And by "thank", I mean "gently caress".

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Thank you for indirectly teaching me what a murrsuit is. And by "thank", I mean "gently caress".

gently caress.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

bitterandtwisted posted:

How are the recent resident evil games? I haven't played one since Code Veronica, but am tempted by the sales this weekend.

Resident Evil 4 is possibly the best action game ever made. Resident Evil 5 and 6 are rather lovely rehashes of 4 with some of the most racist things ever put in a game and lovely forced co-op.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Resident Evil 5 is awesome and there isn't any forced coop since the AI plays your partner the whole game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

therealjon_ posted:

Resident Evil 5 is awesome and there isn't any forced coop since the AI plays your partner the whole game.

But the AI is terrible and will happily use up all your ammo on cheap poo poo enemies.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
A game that is so insistent on its co-op mechanics that when someone isn't playing the partner a stupid AI plays it. That's not forced co-op. Right.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

But the AI is terrible and will happily use up all your ammo on cheap poo poo enemies.

Don't give them any, they don't need it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

well, what is it? a fursuit for fish?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Manatee Cannon posted:

Don't give them any, they don't need it.

This pretty much. I went through it on the hardest difficulty with no real problems. Just don't give them your good stuff because they'll waste it.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
Just give Sheva the guns you don't use, which was submachine guns and such in my case. RE5 coop was probably the most fun I've ever had in a game, but the single player playthrough I did later didn't bother me. If you're only going to play by yourself get 4, but if you think youll be after some coop get 5, its so much fun

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Resident Evil 5 and 6 are rather lovely rehashes of 4

This isn't really the case (you are right about the racism though).

RE5 refines the RE4 formula and has more focus on action setpieces rather than more traditional RE "explore this building to find items to put into doors" gameplay. If you liked the combat in RE4 (especially facing off against large groups of enemies, or if you loved Mercenaries), RE5 is basically a RE that is more focused around that. It's very good as a general action game. It is unfortunately also very racist.

RE6 throws the upgradeable guns out in favour of a game where you're supposed to primarily be using the melee system; if you remember shooting a zombie in the leg to suplex them in RE4/5, that's basically what RE6 wants you to do all game. It's also easily twice as long as RE4/5, having four campaigns (Leon's, which is a throwback to RE2; Jake's, which is a throwback to RE3; Chris', which wants to be a throwback to RE5 but instead is a boring, bad 3PS derivative you just shouldn't play; and Ada's, which is a mix of all three). If you're willing to engage with the brawling system and you don't hate the lack of upgradeable guns, it's pretty good. Not as good as RE4 or RE5, but still pretty decent. It's unfortunately pretty horribly sexist in parts.

Revelations is kind of a middle ground between 4 and 6: the gun upgrade system just consists in equipping mods that give you a stat bonus ("10% faster reload" or "20% more damage" or whatever) so may as well be non-existent; the game has non-tank controls that let you strafe while aiming (but not the dodge system RE6 has, or the melee combat); you explore one big location (a ship) solving puzzles a bit like RE1 or RE4 (but you're generally locked out of most of the ship while in a given chapter, unlike RE1). It's pretty good, and manages to not be racist or sexist for the most part. The only downsides are that it's a DS port and so doesn't look that great visually, and that it's a DS port so it has a dumb "scanning" gimmick that you need to use to reveal invisible ammo etc. in the level so you spend a lot of time using the scanner instead of giving a poo poo about the stuff around you.

FrickenMoron posted:

It's not "terrible," just not particularly bright. You can easily get around this by giving them the right weapons (the bolt-action sniper, which they will nearly always hit with, or the pistol with the highest damage you can find because 9mm ammo is plentiful).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 13, 2014

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Davincie posted:

well, what is it? a fursuit for fish?

I thought it was a mermaid suit too :smith:

quote:

A murrsuit is an overarching term that contains various types of suits. these include:

Fursuits
lycra
spandex
pvc
leather
rubber

The term is derived from "murr", an expression often used within furry fandom, usually as a sound of contentment (similar to purr), but sometimes to indicate sexual interest or arousal (the use of "murr" in this manner is often considered facetious, demeaning, or both).

A murrsuit generally refers to fursuits of a sexual nature. Several fursuit builders are known to make such suits, though not all will advertise their willingness to do so. Others are home-made, or alterations of an existing suit (though builders will often void any warranty on a suit which has been modified or used for sexual activity).

Some have used the term "murrsuit" to refer to any fursuit that has been worn while having sex, irrespective of the suit's construction.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks guys, I'll give 4 a go and maybe get 5 before the sale ends.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

Thanks guys, I'll give 4 a go and maybe get 5 before the sale ends.

Worth noting RE5 is going Steamworks in a few months, so it's probably worth waiting to play it until after GfWL has been removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Sorry, Resident Evil 5 has lovely forced co-op. Resident Evil 4 had a persistent AI partner too, but they realized one important aspect: It will never, ever match a player in terms of capability without being broken as poo poo or needing constant babysitting. Ashley was an AI partner done right... she would get the gently caress out of your way when you were doing stuff, would hide when you need her to, and when she did get in trouble, it was easy to get her out of it...

Sheva, on the other hand... good god. I've never had to babysit an AI partner so much. If she dies, and she will, then it's GAME OVER! So she's either broken as gently caress (usually on your second playthrough, where she has decent weapons) or a constant hindrance. They didn't even have the good grace to give her the little touches that Ashley had (like fistpumping when you score a headshot etc.)

Resident Evil 5/6 looked at the RE4 formula and decided "I guess we know better than that!" then hosed it up completely.

• Locked thread