Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Truecon420 posted:

Oh my god... Are we really going to fight... the British?

What is the likelihood of this being canon?

My research is generally in the 75-90% range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is the Talon Company mural found in Fallout 3. As you can see, it depicts Doom 3's Maledict gripping the plump buttocks of a weeping baby boy in its claws. You could go to your local CVS Pharmacy right now, dig through a bin to uncover a copy of the game in its original shrink wrap for $2.99, plop it into your disgusting "backup" Xbox 360, and behold this image--no DLC or modding necessary.

A Bethesda employee dreamed up this image and said, "Yes, this. This will encapsulate the Talon Company perfectly." T. Howard put his wax seal of approval on it and the rest is history.

Several years ago, when someone asked Ropekid about this image in a (now archived) New Vegas thread, the Lead Designer got real quiet and seemed to skirt around the question. "Obsidian doesn't agree with the direction Bethesda took the TC [Talon Company] in. Obsidian doesn't like it at all."

The truth of the matter is that Talon Company never had a fully realized backstory--at least not in the game. While its function was to serve as a mysterious and malevolent force that was "like the Enclave, only blacker and more evil", lead writer Emil Pagliarulo took advantage of the faction's blank slate to inject a degree of symbolism into them that was otherwise unheard of in the game.

Throughout this 2008 GameReactor interview, Pagliarulo draws numerous (abrupt) parallels between Fallout 3's setting and the Irish Potato Famine of the 1840's.

Add to this the fact that "dragoons" were Irish boys the British Empire abducted at an early age, indoctrinated, and subsequently turned against their former compatriots, and the image of a demon clutching a soft baby bottom makes almost too much sense.

Also, consider that Pagliarulo's Twitter claims he is...

...and has posted cryptic messages in the past.

Wait so Talon Company is working for by the Enclave?

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is the Talon Company mural found in Fallout 3. As you can see, it depicts Doom 3's Maledict gripping the plump buttocks of a weeping baby boy in its claws. You could go to your local CVS Pharmacy right now, dig through a bin to uncover a copy of the game in its original shrink wrap for $2.99, plop it into your disgusting "backup" Xbox 360, and behold this image--no DLC or modding necessary.

A Bethesda employee dreamed up this image and said, "Yes, this. This will encapsulate the Talon Company perfectly." T. Howard put his wax seal of approval on it and the rest is history.

Several years ago, when someone asked Ropekid about this image in a (now archived) New Vegas thread, the Lead Designer got real quiet and seemed to skirt around the question. "Obsidian doesn't agree with the direction Bethesda took the TC [Talon Company] in. Obsidian doesn't like it at all."

The truth of the matter is that Talon Company never had a fully realized backstory--at least not in the game. While its function was to serve as a mysterious and malevolent force that was "like the Enclave, only blacker and more evil", lead writer Emil Pagliarulo took advantage of the faction's blank slate to inject a degree of symbolism into them that was otherwise unheard of in the game.

Throughout this 2008 GameReactor interview, Pagliarulo draws numerous (abrupt) parallels between Fallout 3's setting and the Irish Potato Famine of the 1840's.

Add to this the fact that "dragoons" were Irish boys the British Empire abducted at an early age, indoctrinated, and subsequently turned against their former compatriots, and the image of a demon clutching a soft baby bottom makes almost too much sense.

Also, consider that Pagliarulo's Twitter claims he is...

...and has posted cryptic messages in the past.

Cream, I cannot bear to listen to Pagliarulo's monotonous voice. Does he actually bring up the Irish Potato Famine?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Merry Magpie posted:

Cream, I cannot bear to listen to Pagliarulo's monotonous voice. Does he actually bring up the Irish Potato Famine?

Yes, he does.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My research is generally in the 75-90% range.

I've done some "research" on this and there are more UK connections in Fallout 3.

"in the 23rd century, Allistair Tenpenny left the country for the Capital Wasteland in the United States to seek wealth and fortune, hinting at some of the possible conditions in post-War Britain. The ancestors of Colin Moriarty also left Ireland for the Capital Wasteland shortly after the Great War for unknown reasons."

re: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/United_Kingdom

More specifically,

"Allistair Tenpenny came to the Capital Wasteland from Great Britain to seek his fortune, so that alone tells you that the U.K. was also hit in the war. And if he came to U.S. to succeed, that says a lot about how screwed up Europe must be. So we just allude, a little bit, to the state of the rest of the world. We like to leave a lot to the players' imaginations, and somebody like Tenpenny serves as a catalyst for those thoughts." - Emil Pagliarulo

Clearly Pagliarulo has spent some time thinking about the rest of the world.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Fallout has become a vehicle for Emil Pagliarulo to give the UK its just desserts.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Man Whore posted:

Fallout has become a vehicle for Emil Pagliarulo to give the UK its just desserts.

I believe you mean its "just deserts," which incidentally, is also what the forests and fields of England have become.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Duckbag posted:

I believe you mean its "just deserts," which incidentally, is also what the forests and fields of England have become.

No I mean he is baking them a pie of hate

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So what kind of voice or accent are we going to have for the British Colonial Company's Radio station that several major villains will broadcast as the game unfolds?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 9, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't disclose an exact name, but rest assured, it will be a very cynical british person. ;)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Alain Post posted:

I can't disclose an exact name, but rest assured, it will be a very cynical british person. ;)

David Mitchell :allears:

Or a David Mitchell look/soundalike

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Crabtree posted:

So what kind of voice or accent are we going to have for the British Colonial Company's Radio station that several major villains will broadcast as the game unfolds?

Well, last time we had Malcolm McDowell claiming to be from "roo-ral KENT-ucky," so I"m going to go with Jack Nicholson playing a guy from Gloucestershire.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Man Whore posted:

well obviously the dastardly Englishmen offered the brotherhood some of their laser brown bess muskets if they would trample all the factions around Boston so that their troops need only fight the brotherhood rather than a confederation of Boston tribes.

So whatever Redcoat force invades, New Monarchy that thinks they’re King Arthur, Super Insane Commonwealth Brotherhood of Steel and/or some cyberpunk Star Chamber complete with a nice Thatcher stand in (real or AI in a giant ACORN super computer) realize that the ruins of the US would be a relative smorgasbord of technology and weaponry to pilfer. She may not be as good as she was in the colonial days, but America still is the ruins of one of the two big super powers of the Old World. Collecting enough of her could help make sure the sun never sets on the Empire again, as well as finally settle an Old World grudge once and for all.

Okay, yeah, this could be fun to happen. Particularly if its true that one of the biggest BoS airships is named Prydwen.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I...I didn't know Desmond's plot arc was going to turn out to be something this big. :stare:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I wonder how schizophrenic this thread will be by August, or if it'll have burned out by then?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I'm pretty sure this will all end with us in a compound somewhere getting handed dixie cups full of monster brew by armed guards in mylar "vault suits" while Cream-of-Plenty's tinny voice raves about "emergent gameplay" over the PA.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Thousands of years later archaeologists find the remnants of a poorly-built cardboard set with traces of silver paint that resembles an ant colony and the only surviving recognizable remnant is a bronze statue of our lord and savior Todd Howard

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Oops, nevermind.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Alain Post posted:

Really, the idea of making a P+P-inspired RPG in a game system where you have no limitations on saving is almost inherently stupid, but I don't think anyone's going to be too much in support of "no saving in the wilderness", except me.

FYI, "no saving in the wilderness" is the inherently stupid idea, as is the idea that save scumming is some kind of a design flaw when, for the four hundredth time, like fast travel, it is something that you can simply choose not do if you don't want to.

People who are concerned that reloading saves ruins verisimilitude can only have this concern because they want everyone else to play the game the way that they play it.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Don't play Bethesda games on consoles. It's never a good idea.

We are masochists. And also computerly-lazy.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I'd really like Bethesda to improve on New Vegas' low-INT run. Obviously voiced protagonist would make it harder, but in New Vegas it's really underwhelming - most of the NPCs don't really react all that different or different at all (people in the Power Plant, for example) , so it was a few funny lines here and there, but nothing major. I know that it'd be a massive undertaking to actually include the changes universally, though, so that's a pipe dream, mostly.

I don't know how major the changes were in the previous Fallouts, though, maybe they were just as minor.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Szurumbur posted:

I'd really like Bethesda to improve on New Vegas' low-INT run. Obviously voiced protagonist would make it harder, but in New Vegas it's really underwhelming - most of the NPCs don't really react all that different or different at all (people in the Power Plant, for example) , so it was a few funny lines here and there, but nothing major. I know that it'd be a massive undertaking to actually include the changes universally, though, so that's a pipe dream, mostly.

I don't know how major the changes were in the previous Fallouts, though, maybe they were just as minor.

You couldn't do most of anything in Fallout 1, but Fallout 2 had alternative quest solutions and outcomes for at least half of the content for stupid characters.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

I know it's probably a ghoul, but it doesn't look like a ghoul. It would be awesome if the redcoats were skinless androids from a historical amusement park/animatronic museum that went rogue and embraced their programming.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Szurumbur posted:

I'd really like Bethesda to improve

I've got bad news for you, friend.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

New Vegas still sucks

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Sharzak posted:

I've got bad news for you, friend.

There's a foundation and a precedent, and hiring someone to write funny lines isn't above their means. It's doubtful they'd bother, but it would be better not to have it at all than to have the half-assed try from NV - undoubtedly for time/budget issues, I suppose. Oh well, one can hope for the best and expect the worst.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Szurumbur posted:

There's a foundation and a precedent, and hiring someone to write funny lines isn't above their means. It's doubtful they'd bother, but it would be better not to have it at all than to have the half-assed try from NV - undoubtedly for time/budget issues, I suppose. Oh well, one can hope for the best and expect the worst.

I'm pretty sure having a voiced retard protagonist would piss off too many people to ever be considered.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rutibex posted:

I'm pretty sure having a voiced retard protagonist would piss off too many people to ever be considered.

Mods to the rescue

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

NV barely had any Low-Int option anyway

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

frajaq posted:

Yes. Yes it does.

No wonder there's an airship, in a future DLC we take the fight to them!

Goddamnit, America really needs to get over the war of independance already because this looks dumb as heck.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's concept art, 90% of it means sweet gently caress all to what happens in the finished product. It's just things people draw up to start getting a feel for the setting and what they want to do with it. It'd be weird if they didn't have something like that, what with other landmarks of the Revolutionary War we have floating around the city.

With that being said yeah, I could see them having a crazy raider of some sort that wears it because there's an anti-raider group calling themselves the Minutemen running about.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I hope the game world is substantially large, just lots of open space would be great in between everything for travel (future mods). 2x skyrim would be nice at least.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Mr Todd says it's roughly one skyrim large.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fooz posted:

Mr Todd says it's roughly one skyrim large.

I think he said that it's Skyrim size in terms of borders, but has more playable worldspace due to Skyrim having a ton of mountains with limited ability to traverse them. High Hrothgar is basically a temple and some paths leading up to it, and other than that the mountain is mostly unplayable scenery. Boston doesn't really have a ton of mountains.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Wonder if they'll reapply the paid mod -thing for this.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Was trying to find a graphic but I can't, what are the relative map sizes in 3/NV/Oblivion/Skyrim?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I think he said that it's Skyrim size in terms of borders, but has more playable worldspace due to Skyrim having a ton of mountains with limited ability to traverse them. High Hrothgar is basically a temple and some paths leading up to it, and other than that the mountain is mostly unplayable scenery. Boston doesn't really have a ton of mountains.

I thought he said the opposite, that they were similar in playable area, but that comparing borders was useless for that reason.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

His answer was evasive, basically, and we'll have to wait until more information comes out to really confirm how big it is.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cephalocidal posted:

I know it's probably a ghoul, but it doesn't look like a ghoul. It would be awesome if the redcoats were skinless androids from a historical amusement park/animatronic museum that went rogue and embraced their programming.

Maybe post-war Europe is more accepting, like with everything else, than America with the Ghoul thing and lets them in the Army and such.

Or Bethesda could be going a more gruesome-looking super mutant route and that particular super mutant was in the middle of a Independence War reenactment or saw the clothes and took them from a store or something. I'm in favor of super mutants looking a bit more scary and skinless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I think it's safe to crush the dream of a map That's two skyrims big at least.

• Locked thread