Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

In my mind South Africa makes more sense as a basis for comparison but thats not terribly relevant to my Poast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1092087320541609984

The Israeli right is doing a great job of making sure that all D voters hate them.
loving lmao i love bibi

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
absolute sleazy slimy little rear end weasel

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
it is possible to reconcile progressive judaism with a belief in reincarnation. after his death bibi will be reborn as a worm that lives in yair's small intestine, can't be dislodged by modern medicine and whispers anguished things to him every time he tries to take a poo poo (which will always be a protracted and painful process, thanks to his father's nasty work further up the poo poo canal). from this position he will have to work his way back up the cycles to human. perhaps if he behaves himself, in the next life he will be a male praying mantis, and after that perhaps a wood louse

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
but his is an incurably corrupt soul and when he rises to his personal cosmic apex of cockroach in the bombed-out ruins of gaza, he will somehow find a way to gently caress it all up again and find himself back inside his son or another, even more loathsome descendant. revolting lovely little men!

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1092087320541609984

The Israeli right is doing a great job of making sure that all D voters hate them.

Here's the original:

vs.

Clear height difference.

Anyways I hope Bibi continues to make United States' support for Israel a partisan issue. Piss off the Ds while you can.

Starpluck fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 5, 2019

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Wasn't the white population an extreme minority (less than 10%, iirc) in Rhodesia? Wouldn't South Africa be the better comparison here?

Yes, but you're not allowed to say "aparteid"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes, but you're not allowed to say "aparteid"

If you say it 3 times in front of a mirror, Bibi appears and tries to make you finance minister.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DEA posted:

Here's the original:

vs.

Clear height difference.

Anyways I hope Bibi continues to make United States' support for Israel a partisan issue. Piss off the Ds while you can.

6' vs 5'11".

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

pikachode posted:

but his is an incurably corrupt soul and when he rises to his personal cosmic apex of cockroach in the bombed-out ruins of gaza, he will somehow find a way to gently caress it all up again and find himself back inside his son or another, even more loathsome descendant. revolting lovely little men!

This is Avs posting I can endorse.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

In my mind South Africa makes more sense as a basis for comparison but thats not terribly relevant to my Poast

The American South maybe? The demographic mix seems more applicable, and I've seen my share of flagpoles bearing both a Confederate and Israeli flag showing the bizarre solidarity between apartheid regimes in the popular imagination of rightists. It also segues easily into recognizing the martyrdom of American Jews like Andrew Goodman and Michael Henry Schwerner in Mississippi.

I'm not Jewish myself, but I can relate to being an isolated voice in an increasingly conservative area, watching people you used to respect go further and further off the deep end. I kinda deal with it by looking for inspirational stories from history, and occasionally citing them if I'm feeling bold enough to challenge someone. For example, Vernon Ferdinand Dahmer offered to pay poll taxes for those who couldn’t afford the fee required to vote under Jim Crow. The night after a radio station broadcasted Dahmer’s offer, his home was firebombed and he later died.

If I need happier stories I generally go with Cassius Clay (the Civil War politician) who was very much southern in culture, but viciously opposed to slavery. I may not be in the habit of blinding would-be assassins and generally terrible people with a Bowie knife, but I do take a little solace knowing that I can take pride in being a product of my upbringing while also rising above it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This is gonna get a little e/n, sorry.

I remember when I was in high school and I pushed back against someone who was a pro-Israel zealot, they called me antisemitic. And when I told them I was a Jew, they accused me of being a self-hating Jew. And I told them that was loving stupid.

But lately, I have been wondering if I really am self-hating. As far as I can tell, Jews who are willing to face the truth about Israel are a tiny minority in this country. I've watched my Jewish friends who are especially active in the BDS community be hounded and shunned. After a decade, I've managed to convince my mom about the real state of affairs (supposedly), but as for my extended family, I could never, ever discuss it with them. There aren't a ton of us left after the Holocaust and it feels really wrong to have this barrier between us. I often feel tension and unease around them as a consequence, even though I love them.

It's gotten to the point that I am reluctant to tell people I am Jewish at all because I don't want them to make the kind of assumptions I make. After all, when I see a Jewish organization, or meet other Jews, it is indeed generally safe to assume they support the apartheid regime. I know this is the consequence of a deliberate campaign by Israel to conflate Jews with Israelis and legitimate criticism of the regime with actual anti-semitism, but what makes me all hosed up inside is that it's working. It's worked on me, and it's isolated me from a community I wish I could be more a part of and a part of my identity I could connect with in a more meaningful way. I'm ashamed to admit that as I've become more fervently anti-apartheid, more and more I've also blocked off that part of who I am in my subconscious.

Anyway, if there's anyone on here who's gone through this and has advice, i'm eager to hear it.

Expat and diaspora descendents can be some of the most frothing nationalists around, about the conflicts they don't or haven't had much to do with at all. This is not at all limited to the Jewish population outside of Israel.
Like some strange phenomena where all the nuances and muddling complications of the on the ground reality back in the homeland get turned into vainglorious fables passed down from generation to generation about the old country.

My Cypriot wife has gotten into some extremely uncomfortable chats with Greek Americans about her country (usually old/boomer people) where they go whole hog in with "YEAH WHOO DEATH TO THE TURKS!" type stuff and she just kind of ends the conversations really early and comes away with a :stonk: face. And she's not even remotely all "why can't we just get along?" about the topic. But lord almighty. This even happened at an Easter church service once, like come the gently caress on. It becomes a nationalist cartoon in these people's hands. Like literal orcs vs humans.

See also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xwDK36_REA&t=236s

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DEA posted:

Here's the original:

vs.

Clear height difference.

I swear to god that billboard font is the same one used for the Star Trek TNG title font

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/asadabukhalil/status/1093503244976848896

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Did MEMRI produce the documentary?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1098305789121515520

Oh. This seems nice.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Bibi is super racist and basically david duke to begin with so im not ever sure what the comparison can be.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

Bibi is super racist and basically david duke to begin with so im not ever sure what the comparison can be.

Kahanists are way worse than Bibi. They're the kinds of people who manage to get themselves banned from politics for being too openly racist even for Israel.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Kahanists are way worse than Bibi. They're the kinds of people who manage to get themselves banned from politics for being too openly racist even for Israel.

Basically Freepers and the KKK forming an electoral alliance?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
they're going to win aren't they :(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

they're going to win aren't they :(

Definitely.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Coulda sworn that they were actually a proscribed terrorist organisation according to the UN and banned from the Knesset anyway.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Drone_Fragger posted:

Coulda sworn that they were actually a proscribed terrorist organisation according to the UN and banned from the Knesset anyway.

That's Kach. The party in question here is Otzma Yehudit which just happens to be made up of people who were key Kach supporters and spokespeople and be similarily right-wing racists, so obviously that's totally different.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Drone_Fragger posted:

They're not Palestinians, so they cannot be terrorists.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

team overhead smash posted:

That's Kach. The party in question here is Otzma Yehudit which just happens to be made up of people who were key Kach supporters and spokespeople and be similarily right-wing racists, so obviously that's totally different.
The leader of Otzma Yehudit was literally Kahanes second-in-command in Kach. I guess they skirt on just the right side of legality to be allowed to exist.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Not much faith in polls but the most recent ones give the Ganz-Lapid abomination more seats than Likud.

Polls still predict that many parties are still teetering right on the edge of the minimal vote threshold, including Meretz form the left but also Kulanu and Jewish Home + Kahanists, if any of these parties fail to pass the threshold it could skew the picture significantly.

Arab parties at 12 seats, they're not going to participate in any coalition but they could still prevent Netanyahu from being PM if the right gets less than 60 seats.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 22, 2019

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
If the last election taught us anything it's that Israeli polls are absolutely worthless. There were also multiple articles I recall about polling "paid for" by various political groups. I would be really surprised to see this new party get more than 25 seats, let alone 30+.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

What time do election results tend to come in? Like with the USA, mostly very early morning the next day? Need to know which day to book off work and use to drink myself into oblivion.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

team overhead smash posted:

What time do election results tend to come in? Like with the USA, mostly very early morning the next day? Need to know which day to book off work and use to drink myself into oblivion.

You'll have exit polls on the night of, and accurate results the next day. It's been known to vary, there was an election, I forget which, where there was one projected winner and the final count gave it to someone else. They're usually accurate to within an MK or 2 though.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBl0xfgqYaE

"Israel does not ask us to invade anyone."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DEA posted:

"Israel does not ask us to invade anyone."

Except Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, and Iran.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's funny he criticizes Trump for saying that he wants to be an honest broker in the Israel-Palestine peace process, and to not take sides. I wish that was true.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DaysofPalestine/status/1098360981493817344

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

This seems pretty sketchy, the article linked in the tweet goes into blood libel territory. Are you confident about this source?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

This seems pretty sketchy, the article linked in the tweet goes into blood libel territory. Are you confident about this source?

after all, what are the odds that israelis would inflict experimental procedures on minorities in their country without their assent

please do not mind the tanker truck of depo-provera with For Ethiopians written on the side, that's just industry jargon

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

after all, what are the odds that israelis would inflict experimental procedures on minorities in their country without their assent

please do not mind the tanker truck of depo-provera with For Ethiopians written on the side, that's just industry jargon

So you have no doubts at all about claims that Israel is kidnapping children to steal their organs?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

So you have no doubts at all about claims that Israel is kidnapping children to steal their organs?

if your sole argument against monstrosity is "israelis would not do such an awful thing" i'm gonna have to bring up the untermenschen-sterilization program, yes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Middle East Monitor is not a reliable source, and for this reason I'm disinclined to even read their articles. However:

This kind of shutdown is annoying. First, Israel doesn't need to kidnap anyone to get fresh organs and more importantly the whole "you can't accuse Israel of doing a bad thing, because that's the same as accusing Jews of doing a bad thing, and that makes you a Nazi!" is getting really, really old.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

Speaking in Columbia University in New York City, Shalhoub-Kevorkian said that she collected the data while carrying out a research project for the Hebrew University.

Shalhoub-Kevorkian holds the Lawrence D. Biele Chair of Law at Hebrew University. She gave a talk in the Netherlands on the same subject last month and published a study on claims of Israeli abuses of Palestinian children in The Canadian Journal of Women and the Law late last year.

quote:

In July 1997, Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth reported remarks for Dalia Itzik, chairman of a parliamentary committee, acknowledged that the Israeli Ministry of Health had given pharmaceutical firms permits to test their new drugs of inmates, noting that 5,000 tests had already been carried out.

It seems to have already happened before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Party Plane Jones posted:

It seems to have already happened before?

Right, but that's from the same article, which has a variety of accusations with different levels of sourcing and different levels of detail. Were the 1997 tests carried out only on Arabs or on all prisoners? It's implied that the tests were forced on the prisoners but it's not outright stated (of course paying prisoners to take part in medical studies has its own ethical problems but it wouldn't be as bad). Then you have the accusations of kidnapping children for their organs for which the source is the cultural secretary of a Belgian trade union. Having that kind of assortment of accusations doesn't make it seem like a reliable source.