Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Powered Descent posted:

Stellan and Willa were fishnapped. Not for ransom or anything, just because it's funny.

Estelle broke in and took his fish, too, because Wilbur cannot be trusted with pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.
[quote="EasyEW" post="539466705"]

Out Our Way (August 31-September 2, 1944)

i actually have a kitchen knife that my great uncle made from scrap metal when he was a machinist right around this time (at Presto manufacturing in WI) . I use it every day (it's made from pretty soft metal so it requires almost daily sharpening). if i was at home i'd post a pic but i ain't.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Kennel posted:

Esa Ahto

I know I'm ragging on a pulp comic strip form the 50s(?), but Esa is wholly wrong and the other dude is wholly right. The PIC is responsible for the safety of the flight, and sometimes, especially when weather dictates, that means you stay on the ground until conditions improve.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Safety Dance posted:

I know I'm ragging on a pulp comic strip form the 50s(?), but Esa is wholly wrong and the other dude is wholly right. The PIC is responsible for the safety of the flight, and sometimes, especially when weather dictates, that means you stay on the ground until conditions improve.

Yeah, Meuronen certainly has a tendency to value bravery above everything else and reward his heroes for stupid decisions.

And then after 20 years he stopped doing adventure comics and painted watercolor landscapes for the rest of his life.

(for the record, these are from 1963)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Take Me To Your Leader

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Scarlet O'Neil is what comics were invented for.

"I crashed into this guy so hard that he got pointy goblin ears and a hunched back! Well, as a plastic surgeon, I know my moral duty..."

That's kind of my only problem with this story line. Dude looks like a troll, is absolutely loaded with cash, and plastic surgery is a thing in this reality. We've seen it before IIRC. Get the goddamn surgery troll-man. Unless there's some weird 1940's "Plastic surgery is only for 'medical' reasons, and never for simple vanity" morality happening here.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CzarChasm posted:

That's kind of my only problem with this story line. Dude looks like a troll, is absolutely loaded with cash, and plastic surgery is a thing in this reality. We've seen it before IIRC. Get the goddamn surgery troll-man. Unless there's some weird 1940's "Plastic surgery is only for 'medical' reasons, and never for simple vanity" morality happening here.

Maybe he's so ugly that the plastic surgeon can't even look at him and do the operation, so actually the accident made him slightly less ugly so that he can actually be looked at by regular people.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

An extremely Japanese reaction to intense abdominal pain, backed up with some classic gaslighting just for good measure. If you know how treatment for ectopic pregnancies works, this won’t be a spoiler but I’m kind of shocked nobody at the hospital has corrected her misconception yet that they took an ovary out. It should probably be said too that, in a country with solid national healthcare, going to the emergency room isn’t necessarily a recommendation that indicates a life-threatening condition. People go for fevers and stuff all the time.

Haraiso Days

quote:

Kid Fenris posted:

I can't buy these two as a Siskel and Ebert tribute unless they start bickering over some minor difference of opinion.

I don’t know if this guy is a caricature of some famous Japanese movie person or not.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Giant Ethicist posted:

I don’t know if this guy is a caricature of some famous Japanese movie person or not.

i'm guessing its gene shallit

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm guessing its gene shallit

In other news, holy poo poo, Gene Shalit is still alive and is 98.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

manero posted:

In other news, holy poo poo, Gene Shalit is still alive and is 98.

Got dang

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

he's only grown more powerful

manero
Jan 30, 2006

:eyepop:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Amazing. Powerful.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 12/7/52

Archie 5/29 - 6/1/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 8/29-31/77

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

...goddammit.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Gang Takes An Undocumented Immigrant To A Secondary Location To "Ask Him Some Questions"

poggin' at a titty, the true American pastime

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Catching up from this morning, starting with Li'l Abner. (July 13-15, 1936)

Out Our Way (September 4-6, 1944)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

EasyEW posted:

Catching up from this morning, starting with Li'l Abner. (July 13-15, 1936)

Pretty sure the pilot is an Al Capp self-portrait.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rip Haywire is putting epicycles in its most recent twist. I do like it, but thinking back on the last several arcs, it feels to me like it's been trying to shake itself up for so long that I no longer have any sense of what the status quo it's abandoning even was.

There's a typo in the third panel. It should say "he told me to just power through"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Dinette

Popcom

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnBKhFiXFss

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Perfect dog face

Oh dang, the looks on Slylock's and Dabney's (and Max's) faces as Cassandra's boyfriends find out about each other

Luann

BREAK ALL THAT OLD LADY'S RIBS

Gil Thorp

I've heard that The Public has rethought their opinion on Episode 1 and decided it's good, actually. I suppose these drat kids today are entitled to their own opinions, but this strip here is a bridge too far. Episode 1 is not an example of 90's movies being so much better, and that's final. :colbert:

Home Free

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Having just rewatched this episode recently, thank you.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Still catching up, but a big catchup post follows. I'll timg the old stuff and leave today's full size (with a few exceptions), so just scroll on past if it's too much.

F Minus

I'm leaving this one full size because I love it.

Mark Trail

Good perspective work on that first panel, Jules.

The Phantom

Leaving this one full size since Sunday's a separate story.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Flash Gordon

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Gil Thorp

I've heard that The Public has rethought their opinion on Episode 1 and decided it's good, actually. I suppose these drat kids today are entitled to their own opinions, but this strip here is a bridge too far. Episode 1 is not an example of 90's movies being so much better, and that's final. :colbert:

Watto? The character everyone called out as being an ugly Jewish-coded stereotype back when the movie came out? Yeah, thanks for your input, Ms. Aryan Teenager.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

I've heard that The Public has rethought their opinion on Episode 1 and decided it's good, actually.

Yippee!

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I kind of want to see nu-Flash end a Sunday with the sudden appearance of giant flies now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Selachian posted:

Watto? The character everyone called out as being an ugly Jewish-coded stereotype back when the movie came out? Yeah, thanks for your input, Ms. Aryan Teenager.

Maybe she's just a big fan of the George Lucas Talk Show

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Selachian posted:

I though we all agreed he's now Italian-coded because of Vinny Vinesauce.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Episode 1 was always fine. On the one hand it gave us Watto and Jar Jar and the Nemoidians (just... stop designing alien races as sloppy references to different world ethnic groups, folks. People keep trying and I don't think anyone's done it well, only "less bad"). On the other hand the rest is good, especially podracing and Darth Maul. It's cheesy, but Star Wars is cheesy.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

BREAK ALL THAT OLD LADY'S RIBS

Somebody should pick up the ocarina and play >AV>AV . Three days should give you some time.

Maigius fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 14, 2024

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Luann's going to save the teacher's life and realize she wants to be a nurse.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/13/04

Brenda Starr 3/16-18/53

Smokey Stover 7/9/61

A "station break" is what they used to call a commercial break. And as for the second panel, Pat and Mike were the protagonists of every joke that started with "Well, there were two Irishmen..."

Everyday Movies 11/3/37

"Don't be too fussy with them, Tim, they'll never be noticed from down here."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/13-15/43

"That guy with fresh surgical scars all over his face? Rowr!"

Those are phone numbers they're volunteering, if you were wondering.

Closer Than We Think! 7/9/61

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

bless and keep good ol' russell "any place is a good place for cheesecake" stamm

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vox Valentine posted:

poggin' at a titty, the true American pastime

Is the joke that the man made eye contact and therefore got turned to stone but the woman only looked at her boobs and was safe?

Julet Esqu posted:

I think it's mostly people who only saw it as children and so remember it being good.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
What a breathtaking ending to that Scarlet. His face is handsome now! Also we're moving on to a new story, bye!

1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That's kinda of a red flag isn't it? He can't be alone with a woman without her thinking he's cheating on her. And also that she regularly checks upon where he is and who he is with.