Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howling Bells
May 10, 2007

Dear Pat Monaghan and that other guy,

We believe 'Hey Soul Sister' to be a ponderous and heartless money grab. You should be ashamed. It's not enough that you used the I-V-VI-IV chord progression, Beato, but you do it on a ukulele? It sounds like a Vonage commercial. Stop the Train!

Thoogsby posted:

I just picked this up on eBay for a cool $425 shipped with a nice padded gig bag.

Ibanez ARX500 Artist Custom

I'm so jealous. I have been eyeing these guitars for a very long time. So loving jealous. When it's in your hands, how good does it feel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Not really a new purchase per se (although I did buy a bunch of poo poo), but I've further modified my 8-string with an even MORE useless mod. View here and ignore my goony nerd voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYvdVoLg5-I

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Not really a new purchase per se (although I did buy a bunch of poo poo), but I've further modified my 8-string with an even MORE useless mod. View here and ignore my goony nerd voice:

Paint that loving thing.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Did you build the guitar yourself also, by any chance?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Thoogsby posted:

Paint that loving thing.
Will do, when I get the money. I'm not going to do a spraypaint job again, because that came out horribly.

The Stygian posted:

Did you build the guitar yourself also, by any chance?
No, it's an Agile Intrepid. I've merely stripped the paint and added buttloads of goofy electronic poo poo.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Thoogsby posted:

Paint that loving thing.

No! Oil or wax it instead. I'd say that it's a nice looking stab of wood.

But I can't see why you'd need the LEDs. It can't be that hard to see or (or feel with your fingers) if the pot is in its outer or inner position.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Dr. Klas posted:

I agree, maybe even put a light stain on it first to pop the grain a bit.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Dr. Klas posted:

But I can't see why you'd need the LEDs. It can't be that hard to see or (or feel with your fingers) if the pot is in its outer or inner position.
I've considered a Tung oil finish, but on Ash it turns the wood an orange-ish color, and I don't want that. Plus, I'm afraid I'll mess it up, so I'll get it done later by another guy.

The LEDs are admittedly useless, I kind of just wanted to see if I could do it. The guitar actually didn't work properly in that video, I just got it working right now, but I had to eliminate the function of the pots entirely.

EDIT: Okay, apparently not...my bridge humbucker sounds like it's got the volume knob turned down, but there is no such volume knob.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 23, 2009

Sunesis
Apr 17, 2003

RANPHA IS MAD LOL
Just bought

http://www.zildjian.com/en-US/products/productDetail.ad2?catalogID=1010&typeID=0&productID=2455

From GC. Thank you USA for cheap prices! Half of what I pay in Australia.

Sounds great, quick attack, not too many overtones. Going to put my hands on it and dirty it up and dry it out a bit, and it will be perfect.

I posted early that i bought these

http://sabian.com/EN/products/HHX_Legacy_Hats_14_11402XLN.cfm

Everytime i sit down to play them a smile comes to my face. I dont think i could be any happier with them, they are perfect.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
This was more or less impulsive. 69 SG Special, which some guy decided to convert to a Standard! It's also got that whole "big crack in the body" thing goin' on. Since these photos, I stuck an HB-sized P90 in the neck and it sounds great with the ceramic Gibson humbucker in the bridge.

Chillin' with my 61 Jr and my buddy's 66 SG Special, because we're apparently gay for 60's Gibsons.

Also, I noticed the neck pickup seemed kinda thin (which is why I replaced it) and was really lightweight when I got it out. Closer inspection shows that it's one of those dummy humbuckers from the old Airlines and such; just a single coil in a humbucker shell! That's incredibly cool and I want to find an appropriate use for this thing now.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 24, 2009

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Carbohydrates posted:

That things is awesome, when did the tailpiece stop being so far back? Looks so different.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

the wizards beard posted:

That things is awesome, when did the tailpiece stop being so far back? Looks so different.
That tailpiece is aftermarket. It used to be an SG Special with a trem, and the stop tailpiece is located there to cover the trem's screw holes. It looks odd, but it doesn't bother me. It has a similar effect as top-wrapping a tailpiece: feels just a bit slinkier.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

okay...could someone please tell me what this does, and how to use it?

I saw it as the stupid deal of the day and was like, "$25, I use a microphone...I guess I'll buy it"...but uh, yeah, I really don't know how or when to use it, or what it does, or what the settings on it means, so, if anyone in here knows, please feel free to let me know. Please.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

The Bananana posted:

okay...could someone please tell me what this does, and how to use it?

I saw it as the stupid deal of the day and was like, "$25, I use a microphone...I guess I'll buy it"...but uh, yeah, I really don't know how or when to use it, or what it does, or what the settings on it means, so, if anyone in here knows, please feel free to let me know. Please.

http://emusician.com/recording/emusic_art_tube_mp/ ought to be a pretty good overview.

In a nutshell it will do two general types of things:

1) Facilitate taking lots of types of signal (hi-z, phantom powered mics, etc.) as input, and turn them into a managable line level signal as output. This may or may not be necessary depending on the preamps on your mixer or audio interface

2) Add some warmth and coloration to mic inputs, vocals in particular

h_double fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 24, 2009

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

h_double posted:

http://emusician.com/recording/emusic_art_tube_mp/ ought to be a pretty good overview.

In a nutshell it will do two general types of things:

1) Facilitate taking lots of types of signal (hi-z, phantom powered mics, etc.) as input, and turn them into a managable line level signal as output. This may or may not be necessary depending on the preamps on your mixer or audio interface

2) Add some warmth and coloration to mic inputs, vocals in particular

thanks for your help.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Concatenation posted:

FUCKKKK

It was a tossup between a dual recto and the fireball, but ultimately I decided against the recto because the Engl sounded better (also everyone and their mum plays dual rectos).

I need a cab now, any suggestions? There's a Mesa Recto slant 4x12 going second hand that I've been eyeing up, but I have close to gently caress all idea about what to get otherwise. I mostly play death metal.

Orange 2x12 no loving question do it do it. When I got my Powerball I played it through a marshall 4x12 and a framus 4x12 at the guys house. It sounded nice through the framus and meh through the marshall. I got it home and put it through the orange 2x12 i got for it and holy gently caress. The cab seriously has more balls to it than most 4x12s ive used (and also weighs about the same!). I honestly think its one of the best matches for an Engl head, helps keep the massive bottom under check and has loads of mid power. If you're in america it might be a too expensive though.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Oh hey, yeah the second hand cab market is a little limited round here at the moment but I managed to pick up an oversized Mesa quad for a decent price. I've been meaning to try Orange stuff but it's rare as all gently caress around here.

I'll do some sound clips for shits and giggles in a bit.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

C30, few pedals, and evolution middle and neck

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.
Last week I picked up a Maxon OD-9, basically a Tube Screamer made by the guys who were the OEM for Ibanez prior to 2002. It's pretty much everything I want from an overdrive pedal, and nothing I don't. Very happy with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxCNFpVzCI0

Grabbed a Korg Pitchblack tuner pedal today, which I bought sort of begrudgingly, thinking it was something I HAD to own just for gigging, since unplugging to use my little chromatic tuner I got five years ago was such an annoying hassle, but I actually love having this, since tuning accurately isn't a hassle for me anymore, I don't mind switching between the three or four tunings I use while playing by myself. Before I got this, I would actually plan a full practice session around my tuning, since I'm that goddamn lazy.

Once I get my paycheck next week, I'm ordering a Barber Tone Press. That will probably round out my major purchases for the rest of the year. I don't know terribly much about compression, but when I play my clean channel, some strings volumes are way higher than others, so I'm hoping to just level that out without really affecting the sound too too much. Am I being a crazy person trying to fix that with compression, or is there something else I should be getting? I've heard people go nuts over this pedal, but I wouldn't mind a delay pedal in its stead, though I'd really only be getting it to play Brick in the Wall Pt. 1, which seems sort of wasteful.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

royalejest posted:

but when I play my clean channel, some strings volumes are way higher than others, so I'm hoping to just level that out without really affecting the sound too too much. Am I being a crazy person trying to fix that with compression, or is there something else I should be getting?

Change your strings to a fresh set. If your pickups have adjustable polepieces, you can move them closer or further away from the strings. Adjustable pieces normally have a screw-head or hex-head. If the treble strings are louder than the bass strings, lower the pickup on that side by screwing the pickup retainer screw anti-clockwise. You get the idea.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

royalejest posted:

Grabbed a Korg Pitchblack tuner pedal today.
Should've gotten a Turbo-Tuner...

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Um...

So, uh yeah. The guitarist in my band and I were joking about how the "Tone" and "Sustain" nobs on my Big Muff should be named something along the lines of "Suck" and "Bad", as it seems to sound it's best with both turned down to zero, or close to.

Some beers and black spray paint later... uh...

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. :hurr:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Geisladisk posted:

Um...

So, uh yeah. The guitarist in my band and I were joking about how the "Tone" and "Sustain" nobs on my Big Muff should be named something along the lines of "Suck" and "Bad", as it seems to sound it's best with both turned down to zero, or close to.

Some beers and black spray paint later... uh...

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. :hurr:

Slap a Mr. Yuk sticker on there and call it a boutique mod.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

Geisladisk posted:

Um...

That's probably the funniest pedal "mod" I've seen in a long time.

To contribute: Just found an Ibanez Tubescreamer Classic TS10 in my girlfriend's garage. It isn't the "classic" sound, but if it works I'm all about it.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

bisticles posted:

I'll be posting with my newest purchase some time next week.
Teaser: It's red and black, has three knobs and a two switches.

Got it today, a G&L S-500 Premium Tribute. I wanted something similar to my Strat to use as a backup, but different enough to keep it interesting. Really enjoying it so far. Some interesting things; the toggle switch combines the neck and bridge pickup, and the tone knobs are for treble and bass. Solid.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 27, 2009

Timage
Feb 6, 2006

KingCrimson posted:

Just bought this, waiting on delivery:

I cannot wait, I've gone 5 years without playing drums and finally have some money to blow on my new toy. I only wish I had the space to go non-electric!

You're going to love it. I've had mine for a year and I still use it daily. You're not going to regret paying more for the mesh pads either; they're worth the money.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Timage posted:

You're going to love it. I've had mine for a year and I still use it daily. You're not going to regret paying more for the mesh pads either; they're worth the money.

How are the mesh pads holding up after the first year, any sign of wear or that they might be coming apart? I have had mine for a few weeks now and while there is absolutely no sign of damage on the heads, it is still something I am slightly concerned about.
Also, have you tried any of the VEX settings packs for the TD-9 ( http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/ )? I have seen them get rave reviews on other sites but I bought the VEX toolbox and have been largely unimpressed. It just seems they turned up the volume and slapped a bunch of reverb on everything. May be useful in the future, but for now I am totally content with the standard sounds.

Too many new things to bother with pictures:

Zoom G9.2tt
Korg Kaossilator
Roland TD-9KX
Edirol FA-66 Firewire Inteface
Digitech Jamman
Shure SM57
Boss Micro BR
Line 6 Pocket Pod
And a plethora of cables, capos, velcro ties and other sundries.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

RandomCheese posted:

How are the mesh pads holding up after the first year, any sign of wear or that they might be coming apart? I have had mine for a few weeks now and while there is absolutely no sign of damage on the heads, it is still something I am slightly concerned about.
Also, have you tried any of the VEX settings packs for the TD-9 ( http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/ )? I have seen them get rave reviews on other sites but I bought the VEX toolbox and have been largely unimpressed. It just seems they turned up the volume and slapped a bunch of reverb on everything. May be useful in the future, but for now I am totally content with the standard sounds.

Too many new things to bother with pictures:

Zoom G9.2tt
Korg Kaossilator
Roland TD-9KX
Edirol FA-66 Firewire Inteface
Digitech Jamman
Shure SM57
Boss Micro BR
Line 6 Pocket Pod
And a plethora of cables, capos, velcro ties and other sundries.

Mesh heads hold up pretty well even under heavy use. They can also be replaced for about $30-40 depending on the size, though it's getting harder to find people selling roland parts these days.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

bisticles posted:

Got it today, a G&L S-500 Premium Tribute. I wanted something similar to my Strat to use as a backup, but different enough to keep it interesting. Really enjoying it so far. Some interesting things; the toggle switch combines the neck and bridge pickup, and the tone knobs are for treble and bass. Solid.

I think I need to get a G&L or a Suhr... Jealous.

Do all G&Ls come with pickups that have adjustable pole pieces?

Love the paintjob too!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

bisticles posted:

Some interesting things; the toggle switch combines the neck and bridge pickup
:eng101: Actually, it will activate either the neck or bridge pickup, whichever wouldn't normally be active on a given setting. For the middle position, it does nothing. So!

Normal:
1. bridge
2. mid + bridge
3. mid
4. mid + neck
5. neck

With the switch on:
1. bridge + neck
2. all
3. mid
4. all
5. bridge + neck

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Carbohydrates posted:

:eng101: Actually, it will activate either the neck or bridge pickup, whichever wouldn't normally be active on a given setting. For the middle position, it does nothing.

Yeah, that's a better way of putting it. I dig the feature, although I wish it was wired as a push/pull onto one of the pots.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I think I need to get a G&L or a Suhr... Jealous.

Do all G&Ls come with pickups that have adjustable pole pieces?

Love the paintjob too!

Thanks, man.

Not sure about all, but most seem to come with some variant of the MFD pickup, be it humbucker, P90 or singlecoil.

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?

GLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

This is a picture of the prototype. I'll post a picture of my actual unit tomorrow; my wife and I couldn't find our camera, it's out in the car but it's too dark to see so I'll get it in the morning. The layout is identical but the color is not.

Wampler Triple Recstortion

I happened to get one in for an upcoming FrugalGuitarist feature I've got planned, a Mesa-in-a-Box roundup. This limited edition of 100 actually already sold out in the few days that it's been available, but Brian replaced the order dialog on the web site with a comment box and the following statement:

quote:

No longer Available
Unfortunately, we have reached the limit of the temporary offer. If there is enough interest I may choose to make it part of the permanent pedal line.
Let us know your thoughts!

So if you like these clips, I suggest you go tell them that you would buy one if it were still available. I am definitely glad that I have mine, it's got a great sound. I'll be giving it a full review for Frugal in the coming weeks, but if you have any questions about it let me know and I'll answer them as best I can.

Anyway, clips:

Signal path:

Schecter C-1 Classic -> Wampler Triple Recstortion -> EHX Deluxe Memory Man -> Fender Twin

Two clips. First a setting that was to my tastes and some tasteless wanking. The settings for this clip were Level to unity (by the way, there's plenty of volume on this pedal, you won't have trouble adjusting the output), Gain at 3 o'clock, Treble at slightly before noon, Midrange between 10 and 11 o'clock, Low Contour at 2 o'clock, "Modern" mode.

Second, adjusting the pedal through a bunch of different settings on the fly, including different EQ adjustments. I start on the Vint. mode and switch it to the Modern mode later in the clip. At the start the Gain is at its lowest setting.

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003
For the love of god, anything other than the
Got tired of the sound and action on my Casio Privia so I broke down a spent a load of cash on this:

Roland LX-10

Arrives on Sunday.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

iamlark posted:

GLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

That's going to be great when she's all fixed up :).

Noonsa posted:

Roland LX-10

Holy crap, that -is- a load of cash. The keyboard's really fine, though - Roland's IMHO leading in digital piano keyboards.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 9, 2020

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Crap... not again. I bought another bass. =(
and some other stuff too. ugh.

pictures soon.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
So did you guys see this new Gibson? It's the "Zoot Suit SG" and it's ugly as poo poo:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Zoot-Suit.aspx

Except for the black and white finish, which I personally love:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/USA/SGs/Zoot-SG/FinishImages/SGZTBWCH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

I could see myself playing that...

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
It looks like one of those giant rainbow lollipops.

edit: actually all of the non-rainbow ones look kind of cool, I like the black and red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Carbohydrates posted:

So did you guys see this new Gibson? It's the "Zoot Suit SG" and it's ugly as poo poo:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Zoot-Suit.aspx

Except for the black and white finish, which I personally love:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/USA/SGs/Zoot-SG/FinishImages/SGZTBWCH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

I could see myself playing that...

:psyduck:

Does Gibson honestly think there is a demand for expensive horrendous looking guitars? Between this, the "Eye", all the tribal poo poo, and the holy Explorer, I think whoever's running Gibson has gone insane.