Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

8th-samurai posted:

Other boards are terrible.
This is generally true. However, if you get involved with you local arts community you'll probably find lots of awesome people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Agreeing that other boards are terrible. SomethingAwful`s subtitle, "The Internet Makes You Stupid" is completely true. People in real life = good. People on the internet = bad.

Just get a tablet, carry it to local meetings in the community centre, talk photography with good people.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
My only problem talking photography with actual people is the chance that they might want to show you their HDR/macro/kid photos. Then you have to make polite noises until you can escape.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

8th-samurai posted:

My only problem talking photography with actual people is the chance that they might want to show you their HDR/macro/kid photos. Then you have to make polite noises until you can escape.

"Isn't this great?!"

"Mmm hmmm." (hides disgust)

That was me talking to this photographer that actually took decent photos then crapped them up with over post-processing.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Or you could realize that people are in different stages of development and you made some really lovely photographs once, too. Maybe you still do and people are always trying to hide their disgust from you!

So it's in everyone's interest to just be nice and always be improving and always be humble.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

8th-samurai posted:

Sometimes it pays to be honest.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Or you could realize that people are in different stages of development and you made some really lovely photographs once, too. Maybe you still do and people are always trying to hide their disgust from you!

No, this guy has been doing this for years. Really, he does take good photos compositionally and all that, he just goes way overboard afterwards.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

So it's in everyone's interest to just be nice and always be improving and always be humble.

The only way anyone who takes lovely photographs is going to get better is if someone actually tells them it's lovely.

It's not in anyone's interest to "just be nice", this mentality keeps people taking lovely photographs and you suffer because you have to keep looking at them and they suffer as they never improve.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Sure, I made some pretty bad photographs. That doesn't mean I want to see other peoples bad photographs just because we both happen to own a camera. It's in everyone's interest to be polite so that a crazy DSLR wielding psycho doesn't try to shank you in a coffee shop over a cat photo.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

8th-samurai posted:

Sure, I made some pretty bad photographs. That doesn't mean I want to see other peoples bad photographs just because we both happen to own a camera. It's in everyone's interest to be polite so that a crazy DSLR wielding psycho doesn't try to shank you in a coffee shop over a cat photo.

Can you shank someone with a DSLR?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spog posted:

No but if you have L glass, you can bludgeon them with it. Just make sure there's a UV filter on the front so it's sealed against all the blood.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

spog posted:

I didn't mean with the camera. You could be bludgeoned with one on a strap.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

AceClown posted:

It's not in anyone's interest to "just be nice", this mentality keeps people taking lovely photographs and you suffer because you have to keep looking at them and they suffer as they never improve.

I call this "The Flickr Effect".

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

spog posted:

I'm sure someone has invented a hot shoe shank already.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

You can give people advice while still being polite. That's what I mean.

I advocate getting involved in your own arts community (not a photo club that meets at a library or something) because of the diversity. I've learned a tremendous amount in the last two years or so of being involved with city and state level arts organizations. I only know a few other photographers, and I see this as a good thing. It's made me start looking at photography as only my avenue to visual arts production, and I don't think about all the technical aspects I used to be engrossed with. I'm much better at thinking about WHY I'm photographing and what I'm trying to communicate. It's made me write critically about my own work and others'.

Online photography communities I've decided are great for looking at photos, but all most people want are to be told they're doing good or they're looking for improvement tips as long as they fall within a narrow scope of expected criticism. Anything else is ignored and argued against and does no good.

Becoming part of your local arts community makes you do all the things you talk about doing online. Galleries, juries, curators, grant administrators, and the public don't care what lens you have or what ISO you used. They care about the end photograph. And you should too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Associated Press posted:

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) -- A U.S. Bankruptcy Court judge has approved Kodak's plan to pay up to $13.5 million in bonuses to retain key managers as it reorganizes under bankruptcy protection.

The Rochester-based company said during a court hearing Monday in New York that turnover has become a serious problem. Kodak proposed the bonuses earlier this month.

Judge Allan Gropper approved the plan despite an objection by the U.S. trustee over concerns Kodak hadn't been clear in guaranteeing the money wouldn't go to top management insiders like Chief Executive Antonio Perez. Kodak responded in a court filing that only non-insiders would get the bonuses.

Kodak says Gropper also approved an agreement that Kodak has with the creditor committee to give Kodak an additional 150 days for the exclusive right to file a reorganization plan.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
You can give advice while being polite, but what happens when that advice falls on deaf ears? When that person doesn't want to listen, it kind of gets old when they ask the same questions or move on to something much more complicated thinking that will be the perfect fix.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

I didn't mean with the camera. You could be bludgeoned with one on a strap.

Can you be bludgeoned with a strap-on?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DJExile posted:

I think you forgot to put the facepalm after that.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Gotta love the internet.

Combine this:
http://www.photosolve.com/main/product/xtendasight/index.html

with this:
http://www.laserlyte.com/products/pb-1

DSLR shank!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

spog posted:

Can you be bludgeoned with a strap-on?

Not me, I will run like a motherfucker.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

AceClown posted:

The only way anyone who takes lovely photographs is going to get better is if someone actually tells them it's lovely.

I work by this. I learned in my job what is "passable" and what is actually good. Someone calling out the problem then telling you how to fix it has done wonders for me. I am trying it with my college course. Already called one person for shooting ISO on 1600 on a sunny cloudless day.

I am a broadcaster. I was once called an emotionless robot who didn't have any friends by an instructor. Goddamn if I didn't hear that and change what was wrong.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

8th-samurai posted:

My boss's boss's boss at a certain government HQ office brings his 5D to conferences and was talking to me about getting into HDR...

I meant to ask for his flikr.

spog posted:

Most medium format cameras can be used as bludgeons.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

guidoanselmi posted:

I just bought a monopod. Any of my medium format cameras on the end of that is some scary poo poo.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

guidoanselmi posted:

Bonus points for the Pentax 67 which features a nice wooden grip for you to hold when bludgeoning someone with it! :black101:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Soulex posted:

I work by this. I learned in my job what is "passable" and what is actually good. Someone calling out the problem then telling you how to fix it has done wonders for me. I am trying it with my college course. Already called one person for shooting ISO on 1600 on a sunny cloudless day.

I am a broadcaster. I was once called an emotionless robot who didn't have any friends by an instructor. Goddamn if I didn't hear that and change what was wrong.
The ability to take criticism professionally and not personally is an increasingly uncommon trait. Good for you.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

guidoanselmi posted:

The first thing I thought when I attached my D80 with battery grip to my retracted, metal Slik tripod was "Hey, D&D Cleric". Smite my foes with ISO's.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

The ability to take criticism professionally and not personally is an increasingly uncommon trait. Good for you.

Gordon Ramsay's show, Kitchen Nightmares, has some fantastic advice in it. In one episode he says he throws away customer comment cards that are 10/10 positive ratings, because he believes that 90% of them are just sycophants blowing smoke. What he cares about are the 10% that are negative reviews, because those are telling him things he needs to improve upon. Of course, the arrogant restaurant owner in that episode did the exact opposite, clung to the positive ratings as proof his lovely restaurant was good, and disregarded the sea of negatives as 'haters'.

It applies to everything.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

alkanphel posted:

Bonus points for the Pentax 67 which features a nice wooden grip for you to hold when bludgeoning someone with it! :black101:

That drat wooden grip is expensive but... I figure it's an investment in my own protection.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Found a Polaroid Sonar OneStep in very lightly used condition with the original leather case, flash, and a pack of film at Goodwill for $25. The camera still works perfectly and the film hasn't deteriorated too much. I've promised myself that I'll only buy film with money I make selling other stuff I find at Goodwill so I don't go broke. I would have gotten it just as a shelf piece for that price even if it didn't work.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

rear end is my canvas posted:

Smite my foes with ISO's.

mods, please make this the thread subtitle.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

guidoanselmi posted:

Your wish, my command, etc.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

thanks soundmonkey. you're the bestest.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

spog posted:

Why do you think they're called "bayonet" mounts?

HPL posted:

I'm sure someone has invented a hot shoe shank already.
Brings a whole new meaning to the concept of a wireless trigger.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

guidoanselmi posted:

Nikon should have used that as their marketing slogan when they released the D3.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

OH MAN. There's finally a trailer and release date. I haven't been this excited for a movie since I was a 7 year old with a head full of dinosaurs and a theatre full of Jurassic Parks.

https://vimeo.com/40974947

FULL SCREEN AHEAD

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Well, Leica have done it, a $7500 monochrome digital camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/leica-m-monochrom/

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Spedman posted:

Hopefully those samples are just indicative of the dpreview team's inability to produce good images; they look pretty flat and unexciting. Will be nice to see what a good B&W shooter with some filters can accomplish.

Also, if Fuji are smart they would release a monochrome X100, tons of the "street" guys just convert to B&W anyway. Price it under 1500 bucks, thanks.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Spedman posted:

Instagram for the rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Hopefully those samples are just indicative of the dpreview team's inability to produce good images; they look pretty flat and unexciting. Will be nice to see what a good B&W shooter with some filters can accomplish.

Also, if Fuji are smart they would release a monochrome X100, tons of the "street" guys just convert to B&W anyway. Price it under 1500 bucks, thanks.

I would love for Fuji to do a ballsy move and make the X100 line of cameras a true manual focus, fixed lens range finder since they have the Xpro1 now. Of course there's probably no real market for it, but a man can dream. :unsmith: