Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

zakharov posted:

Even if you don't attend games it doesn't make sense to me. I cheer for New York teams because I am from here and live here. I have zero connection to Manchester, London, Madrid, Liverpool, Barcelona, etc. It's hard to fake enthusiasm for a team that feels so removed. Anyway I'm just rambling.

This is why I don't understand Americans who have never left the country rooting for whatever random European football team they end up rooting for.

I wish you could pick your favorite teams, otherwise I wouldn't be a Kings fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Crazy Ted posted:

Billy Haisley, word salad champion of Deadspin, just posted an article that opens with the following sentence:

I had to read this about eight times to figure out what he was trying to say. What is it about La Liga writers that leads to ridiculous prose? (see: Lowe, Sid)

Soccer writers in general seem to have this problem. I do copy editing for a sports website and this paragraph makes me want to cut off the author's fingers.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Spoeank posted:

This is why I don't understand Americans who have never left the country rooting for whatever random European football team they end up rooting for.
You could ask much the same about Asians or Africans who cheer for teams in the Premier League. It's all bandwagoning for teams in the best leagues in the world.

Benne posted:

Soccer writers in general seem to have this problem. I do copy editing for a sports website and this paragraph makes me want to cut off the author's fingers.
That "sentence" is 131 words long. ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY ONE GODDAMN WORDS

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Rovell is ramping up into full know it all mode for the spelling bee. Does he actually go to it? I hope one of the kids asks him why he's such a weirdo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Haisley is easily the weakest writer on Deadspin and his MLS rants get really tiring. At least Margary can be funny once in a while.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spoeank posted:

Iowa didn't have teams in any professional sport so guess I can't cheer for anything :(

You can be invested in a pro team without growing up right next door to it. It's not like the teams are full of local guys you know, it's a bunch of strangers who often switch out almost every year, and most people can't afford to go to very many games in person anyway.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Spoeank posted:

It's because they like soccer and the biggest and most publicized league in the world in English at least is the EPL and maybe they started following a team before MLS was on TV (is MLS on tv?).

It's like a Japanese or Korean citizen whose favorite baseball team is in MLB instead of one of the leagues where they live. It's the biggest and best one of those things, which they want to follow at the highest level.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Badfinger posted:

It's because they like soccer and the biggest and most publicized league in the world in English at least is the EPL and maybe they started following a team before MLS was on TV (is MLS on tv?).

Most, if not all teams are, but they're largely on regional/local networks right now. They get national coverage every once in a while on ESPN but it's not common.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
There's plenty to criticize MLS for, but punching down at fans and coming off like a smarmy rear end in a top hat in general isn't really endearing

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

DJExile posted:

Most, if not all teams are, but they're largely on regional/local networks right now. They get national coverage every once in a while on ESPN but it's not common.

Sorry that was mostly a joke. I catch a Union game once in a while and try to pretend they're not awful.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Badfinger posted:

Sorry that was mostly a joke. I catch a Union game once in a while and try to pretend they're not awful.

I'm dumb!

morestuff posted:

There's plenty to criticize MLS for, but punching down at fans and coming off like a smarmy rear end in a top hat in general isn't really endearing

It's basically this. Yeah, people know this isn't EPL-level soccer but they're still pretty fun times and tickets are usually pretty cheap.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chris Connelly named interim EIC of Grantland.

Only thing of his I recognize are those sappy make a wish segments he'd do on Sunday sportscenter

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Wasn't he a feature writer at Rolling Stone or something before winding up at MTV?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kalli posted:

Chris Connelly named interim EIC of Grantland.

Only thing of his I recognize are those sappy make a wish segments he'd do on Sunday sportscenter
I think he may have done some Outside the Lines reporting years ago?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

davecrazy posted:

Wasn't he a feature writer at Rolling Stone or something before winding up at MTV?

Yeah, and now he does stuff all over ABC and ESPN in both sports and entertainment. He's done a lot of stuff here and there with Grantland too. In terms of in-house short term options he's one of the most logical ones, and he's friends with Simmons so I doubt he'll change things too dramatically.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 27, 2015

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Connelly is a long-time entertainment reporter/editor so he's certainly qualified for the job. I would also put him in the category of "Friend of Bill" (or at least he was a frequent collaborator) which is probably the most interesting part of the appointment.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

MourningView posted:

Iowa didn't have teams in any professional sport so guess I can't cheer for anything :(

Barnstormers much?????

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

chris connelly is great and would never say a bad thing about anyone which is probably the logic of his interim appointment

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Barnstormers much?????

Go Barnstormers should just be implied in all of my posts

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

MourningView posted:

You can be invested in a pro team without growing up right next door to it. It's not like the teams are full of local guys you know, it's a bunch of strangers who often switch out almost every year, and most people can't afford to go to very many games in person anyway.

You follow the Cubs because of the Iowa Cubs, this is what all my fiancee's relatives (except the lone cousin who was poisoned/saved by her dad into loving the Niners/Giants) tell me. The point of it all was how are the teams chosen? Are they chosen at random? Color scheme? Logos? Who is good? Non-regional fandom is weird to me because I see fandom as an extension of us/them regional tribal mentality.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spoeank posted:

You follow the Cubs because of the Iowa Cubs, this is what all my fiancee's relatives (except the lone cousin who was poisoned/saved by her dad into loving the Niners/Giants) tell me. The point of it all was how are the teams chosen? Are they chosen at random? Color scheme? Logos? Who is good? Non-regional fandom is weird to me because I see fandom as an extension of us/them regional tribal mentality.

When you live in a region without a team of a certain sport you pick a team you like watching or pushed towards a certain team by a family member it is that simple

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

Barnstormers much?????

And they are now sadly in something called the IFL, which I think is more of a semi-pro league.

I was more about the Des Moines Dragons anyway, the Energy ain't got poo poo on them. (except talent I guess, they probably have much more of that)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Spoeank posted:

I am originally from Brazil, and started watching the NBA in Brazil. I became a boston celtics fan even though I've never lived in Boston in over a decade living in the US.

The reason was entirely random. It was the late 80s early 90s. Meaning that my access to the NBA was restricted to the one game a week they would show (which would generally feature one of bulls, lakers or celtics), videogames (first basketball game I ever got was lakers versus celtics), and, coming from a FIBA background (at the time FIBA player numbers were always 4 through 15), thinking that Parish's 00 jersey was the coolest thing ever. Now, the celtics don't mean as much to me as my hometown soccer team, but picking the celtics is not any more or less irrational. Especially in the NBA, where teams are assembled by chance, instead of through a local youth system.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

And they are now sadly in something called the IFL, which I think is more of a semi-pro league.

I was more about the Des Moines Dragons anyway, the Energy ain't got poo poo on them. (except talent I guess, they probably have much more of that)

I have a Dragons shirt somewhere at home, the Dragons owned. Energy is a dumb as poo poo name.

The Bucs are the best Des Moines minor league team though. Beer is cheap as gently caress and there are like 10 fights a game. Minor league hockey owns.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The badge of honor thing some people do about sticking with a bad team is dumb as hell. Sports are entertainment, root for whoever entertains you for whatever reason. If a team is just making you miserable and you don't want to put up with that, fine.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ElwoodCuse posted:

The badge of honor thing some people do about sticking with a bad team is dumb as hell. Sports are entertainment, root for whoever entertains you for whatever reason. If a team is just making you miserable and you don't want to put up with that, fine.

What? This is whack. Sticking with a bad team is all about hope and reward. If I started rooting for the Yankees in the 90s just because they were entertaining, the White Sox winning the Series after a near century drought wouldn't have been as momentous of an occasion in my life.

Rooting for a team through good times and bad is like, one of the things that makes sports great.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
If you can't handle the agony of losing the thrill of victory is never sweet.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

My point is simply that all reasons for liking a sports team are irrational so trying to make rules for being a fan is stupid.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
If I wanted to do the most objectively entertaining or valuable thing I would stop watching sports at all. I don't think I am somehow morally superior for rooting for a bad team (though I do think that bandwagoning just to enjoy some vicarious sense of accomplishment is of questionable value), but certainly I have empathy for people who want to justify what is ultimately a self-destructive and irrational behavior. It's really no worse to cast your loyalty as a moral issue than to constantly convince yourself that the payoff is going to be more worth it than for people who get to be fans of a good franchise; both are self-deceptions.

Really, the only serious problem is fans who use their fandom to be an rear end in a top hat to other people, whether that's justified by a rivalry or because your team is bad or because your team is good or whatever reason. It's probably more hurtful to poo poo on fans who already feel bad about their team losing, but it's all about knowing your audience and having the social skills not to overplay it.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
http://deadspin.com/editor-in-chief-tomas-rios-has-left-vice-sports-1707360421 Tomas Rios is out at Vice Sports.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://deadspin.com/shuttered-newspaper-goes-straight-for-the-dick-joke-hea-1707665410

lmao

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spoeank posted:

A while back there was a "State Yourself" thread in TFF to explain why everyone rooted for their teams, and there were multiple people who chose their teams in Madden as children, even if there was an NFL team in their backyard. The tribal mentality thing is usually accurate but people childhood fandom decisions are tough to overcome (although it helps when it's a dynastic franchise with a lot of media exposure. I'm honestly amazed that MV is still keeping up with the Jazz). Those of us with local teams were usually just destined to like them at birth.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Everyone who lectures someone about how they should root for Team A instead of Team B according to some unwritten rule about how to pick your favorite team should be stuffed in a woodchipper.

The only exception is making fun of Mel Mudkiper for turning into a Steelers fan.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12986512/johnny-manziel-cleveland-browns-harassed-fan-throws-water-bottle-fairly-straightforward-incident
Sports Journalism

quote:

"That turned into badgering on the kid's part, and it reached the point where Johnny Manziel threw a bottle of water at the kid. I don't know if it hit him. I guess I would say that ramped it up a bit."

McLellan said the 32-ounce water bottle Manziel threw was about three-quarters full. A witness told police that the bottle hit a brick wall.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ribsauce posted:

Everyone who lectures someone about how they should root for Team A instead of Team B according to some unwritten rule about how to pick your favorite team should be stuffed in a woodchipper.

The only exception is making fun of Mel Mudkiper for turning into a Steelers fan.
Can we still make fun of MourningView for cheering for the Stockton/Malone Jazz and the 1990's Dallas Cowboys?
869 words on Johnny Manziel throwing a water bottle.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 31, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Crazy Ted posted:

Can we still make fun of MourningView for cheering for the Stockton/Malone Jazz and the 1990's Dallas Cowboys?

At the very least, the faith has never wavered.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Ribsauce posted:

There's someone I know irl who is a self-proclaimed fan of the Blackhawks, Lightning, Predators, and Rangers. And they live-tweet every game. And they get in huge fights about whether or not they're "allowed" to passionate follow more than one club.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ribsauce posted:

The worst is when your team sucks for a long time and then when it finally starts winning again you complain about BANGWAGONERS latching on because they're good while us TRUE FANS never wavered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
My new favorite thing is all of the Grantland podcasters reading ads for Ticket Gator or whatever the gently caress it is and sounding like they're reading a hostage message. Especially Chris Ryan.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 1, 2015