Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've been cooking a lot out of Diana Kennedy's 'Regional Mexican Cooking' recently - picked it up at a used book store for like 50 cents. (hoarding old cooking-related books will be my undoing, I swear)

anyways, making a dish tonight called pollo tekanto that is actually really interesting. there's a couple techniques I've never done before involving charring whole unpeeled onions and peppers to blend into a marinade/sauce with softened almonds and fresh oregano. the smell of it coming out of my blender was amazing, I don't think I've ever smelled anything exactly like it.

just felt like posting to the thread as a reminder to always keep exploring! food is amazing in it's endless bounty of new experiences. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
If you think that's amazing, char like 10 romas, a habanero, 5-6 cloves of garlic, and 1 white onion, cut into 8ths. And I mean char the poo poo out of it. Blend with a bunch of cilantro and orange juice to taste. I believe it's called yucatan style salsa. It's on my current bocadillos promo menu. I loving love it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

therattle posted:

What's a schwa?

It's in many many English words but the simplest example is the vowel sound in "the." It's the only bit of IPA I ever actually learned because in a two hour college choir rehearsal, approximately 1.5 hours will be spent getting everyone to schwa in the exact same way.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

If you think that's amazing, char like 10 romas, a habanero, 5-6 cloves of garlic, and 1 white onion, cut into 8ths. And I mean char the poo poo out of it. Blend with a bunch of cilantro and orange juice to taste. I believe it's called yucatan style salsa. It's on my current bocadillos promo menu. I loving love it.

Will do. I've been getting into the orange juice/mojo thing too recently. I think really the instigating factor in all of this for me was planting oregano on my balcony garden space. I completely marginalized oregano before having it fresh on hand - 4 or 5 years ago I figured it was just a dried sawdust powder nubs put in tomato sauce. Live and learn, all fresh herbs are ace.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You should grow some epazote and sub it for cilantro in a taco. Epazote has this almost truffl-y scent, in that it is ridiculously pungent.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I recently watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi and found it extremely fascinating, so I was just wondering if anyone knows of any other good food/chef docs out there?

(also I'm very sorry if there's a better thread for this question, I just couldn't think of any :shobon:)

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 21, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

El bulli in progress.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

You should grow some epazote and sub it for cilantro in a taco. Epazote has this almost truffl-y scent, in that it is ridiculously pungent.

I think it smells like gasoline.

But not in a bad way.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

El bulli in progress.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Welcome back! Glad to hear you had a great time. Now where are our thread about mexican cooking?!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Michelin Stars: The Madness of Perfection.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

I think it smells like gasoline.

But not in a bad way.

Epazote, or truffles? Because it applies to both.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

HAPPY AMY'S BAKING COMPANY RELAUNCH DAY FOODFRIENDS!

:munch::stare:

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Winklebottom posted:

I recently watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi and found it extremely fascinating, so I was just wondering if anyone knows of any other good food/chef docs out there?
I thought Boiling Point was great, Gordan Ramsay before he became a television personality trying to get 4 michelin stars. Good luck finding it though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

HK5000 posted:

trying to get 4 michelin stars

He's doesn't need to try. He's got like, 13, now.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

He's doesn't need to try. He's got like, 13, now.

Well he's still poo poo according to Marco Pierre White who gave back his four stars as a gently caress you to Michelin. He mentored Ramsay and then in his biography apparently rips him a new one for selling out. I'm reading it now. Ramsay let himself be portrayed as the swearing British Chef on Fox. That's really all he's recognized as here in the US.

The Swamp Thing fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 22, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

HK5000 posted:

Well he's still poo poo according to Marco Pierre White who gave back his four stars as a gently caress you to Michelin. He mentored Ramsay and then in his biography apparently rips him a new one for selling out. I'm reading it now. Ramsay let himself be portrayed as a swearing British Chef on Fox. That's really all hes seen by here in the US.

Marco Pierre White also is the chefwords mouth of Knorr now, so, I wouldn't really be looking to him for accusations of who sold out where.

bottomline, people sellout, money pays the bills, c'est la vie.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
All the boiling point episodes were available in varying degrees of graininess on youtube - I watched them a few months ago. Apparently Amy's canceled their press conference as it was a breach of their contract with Kitchen Nightmares: http://media.bonnint.net/az/31/3153/315397.pdf . I have a friend who is out there right now and updating facebook with what's happening. So far, nothing wacky!

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

I agree with you. Anthony Bourdain sold out to CNN and is now producing pretty drat awesome travelogues about places like Columbia and Libya so I've been wrong before.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

Marco Pierre White also is the chefwords mouth of Knorr now, so, I wouldn't really be looking to him for accusations of who sold out where.

Based on everything I've seen/read/heard from Marco, I really respect him as a chef. Whereas I'm not sure I can say the same of Gordon, though I do like his persona.

Marco has repeatedly said he uses knorr blocks wholeheartedly, but only as seasoning. And I gotta say, I really agree with this logic - bullion is great for general purpose seasoning. I use 'better than bullion' brand, but I go through it pretty drat quick. it's great for seasoning gravies (made with actual stock), tossing roast veg in, marinades, cooking some types of rice with, blah blah. I dunno - I just prefer it most places where a normal recipe would call for just water and salt.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

better than buillion is great, bases are good, as long as you aren't using them as a the base for a sauce, and those knorr reduced stock cubes are loving great.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Epazote, or truffles? Because it applies to both.

Epazote. Love it in tortilla soup

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mindphlux posted:

Based on everything I've seen/read/heard from Marco, I really respect him as a chef. Whereas I'm not sure I can say the same of Gordon, though I do like his persona.

Marco has repeatedly said he uses knorr blocks wholeheartedly, but only as seasoning. And I gotta say, I really agree with this logic - bullion is great for general purpose seasoning. I use 'better than bullion' brand, but I go through it pretty drat quick. it's great for seasoning gravies (made with actual stock), tossing roast veg in, marinades, cooking some types of rice with, blah blah. I dunno - I just prefer it most places where a normal recipe would call for just water and salt.

I do this but with Bovril.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I do this but with Bovril.

There was a Two Fat Ladies episode where Jennifer and Clarissa were cooking for motorcyclists. They had a bit of a break where they went to this bridge where there was a food truck where you could get bacon sandwiches. Clarissa and Jennifer both got the sandwiches. But while Clarissa et hers with a cup of tea, Jennifer had hers with a cup of bovril. Man, talk about your salt bombs. xD

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I admit to using straight up knorr bullion cubes in my stock-based chicken soups. UNLESS the stock in question was made with a lot of storebought rotisserie chicken racks because those things are pretty salty already. For beef-based soups I have so many other enhancers (Worcestershire, red wine, soy, tomato paste, black vinegar, fish sauce, anchovy, etc) to choose from that I just don't feel the need to keep beef bullion cubes in the house.

I don't use knorr blocks because my stock is plenty gelatinous. I was surprised to see marco in a commercial, I'll tell you that!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have some nice looking tomahawk veal chops. I also have veal demi glace. Assuming I need to use both of those in one dish, what should I make?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Char some apples in a saucepan, pref gold or gala, deglaze with apple cider, reduce, add in demi, simmer about 20min, strain, season.

For starch, maybe some yukon potato cakes, with chive, roasted garlic, and rosemary.

I don't really like to go overboard on seasoning my beef, just S&P, maybe some fine chopped thyme in there too.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

"Tomahawk" veal chops "grilled to perfection" with our "Jack Daniel's Sweet Spicy BBQ Sauce" and "Crispy Vegetable!" Welcome to Chili's.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hate you Turkeybone.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

pr0k fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 22, 2013

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

I'm on day 2 of a carb-cutting routine, so I'm pretty punchy (and paunchy).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

AAHAHAHAHA!! That's one of the funniest things I've seen in ages. You're a genius. That word is often overused but apt here.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
:golfclap:

mom's lookin pretty good there

:ramsay:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I like Ramsay on pretty much all fronts. If you watch the F word he shows off some of his recipes, they're always simple and clean. He's pretty funny and I like watching him chat with English celebrities I've never heard of. In the BBC Kitchen Nightmares he does a pretty good job of communicating where the real issues are in the restaurants, I definitely learned a lot of things about FOH and BOH both watching them, and in most of the episodes you get the feeling he genuinely cares about helping the people.

The american shows aren't very good, but there are a few shining moments. They pretty much told him to dial every aspect of his personality far past reasonable levels and sometimes he rips someone a new one in a great way. The "contestants" on Hell's Kitchen are uniformly pretty terrible and it watches like an idiot circus. I kind of liked Masterchef though; some of the contestants were surprisingly impressive and he wasn't an over the top dick the whole time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Midniter posted:

Welcome back! Glad to hear you had a great time. Now where are our wedding pictures?!

quote:

Welcome back! Glad to hear you had a great time. Now where are our thread about mexican cooking?!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550809

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Ghost peppers loving BURN WHY DID I DO THIS

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Old news dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1E2INbrnDw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"I'm going to try both because a furry told me to" always gets to me. Love you Gourd :kimchi: