Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Octy posted:

I turned 23 the other day and I still haven't accomplished anything (and probably never will) compared to Scipio or Pompey or any of those guys.
I'm 22 today and feel the same :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Don't fret, Harrison Ford was just a carpenter at age 30.

So was Jesus, for that matter.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You guys should lead a campaign to conquer the far east, further than Alexander even!

This will never go wrong.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

You guys should lead a campaign to conquer the far east, further than Alexander even!

This will never go wrong.

It'll all be well and good for such a goon project until someone ends up with molten gold poured down his throat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm sure it was written somewhere that every great ruler/general who visited Alexander's tomb was awed by how much "greater" he was than them, up until Augustus came along and apparently felt like his own accomplishments equaled Alexander's?

I also vaguely recall something about Augustus accidentally breaking the nose off the corpse? :haw:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I think I remember the story as the attendants were like, "hey, here's some other macedonian tom-" and Augustus just went, referring to Alexander's tomb, "I came here to see a king, not corpses."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

I think I remember the story as the attendants were like, "hey, here's some other macedonian tom-" and Augustus just went, referring to Alexander's tomb, "I came here to see a king, not corpses."

Nah, he said that about Ptolmeic dead guy's tomb. He was there to see Alexander's.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

SkySteak posted:

It'll all be well and good for such a goon project until someone ends up with molten gold poured down his throat.
Or worse, bitcoins!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

Or worse, bitcoins!

Reddit delenda est. :colbert:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Question: why did bronze shields fall out of use? As near as I can tell, wood braced with iron was used by the Romans onward. Sheets of iron or steel don't seem to have been used to my knowledge.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ynglaur posted:

Question: why did bronze shields fall out of use? As near as I can tell, wood braced with iron was used by the Romans onward. Sheets of iron or steel don't seem to have been used to my knowledge.

Dunno, heavy? unwieldy? Expensive? If I recall correctly, Romans adapted their shield from the Gauls and after fighting the Iberians they reinforced them with iron because the falcata cuted through them. The one big advantage of bronze is it's resistance to rust.

Octy posted:

I turned 23 the other day and I still haven't accomplished anything (and probably never will) compared to Scipio or Pompey or any of those guys.

True romans valued experience and age over anything else about their leaders, no wonder their main legislative body, the Senate, was named after Senex (elder), romans liked their wrinkles and white hair in their leaders, in contrast with the greeks of the time, who liked to imagine their leaders as young geniuses. The 40's was the best part in life for a high-class roman.

Also, gently caress Pompey, his entire career was illegal.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SkySteak posted:

Nah but when the poo poo hits the fan I will use my both my Roman history and Fallout New Vegas knowledge to good use. :getin:

Because if there is something that is cooler than Romans, its Post-Post Apocalyptic pseudo Romans.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

From what I've read, the reinforced plywood shield was just about as strong, lighter, and much easier/cheaper to mass produce. An all iron shield would be too heavy to use. The shield is a weapon too, not just protection. A light shield with good protective cover and a metal boss to slam people is a good basic design and stays in use for a long time.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

From what I've read, the reinforced plywood shield was just about as strong, lighter, and much easier/cheaper to mass produce. An all iron shield would be too heavy to use. The shield is a weapon too, not just protection. A light shield with good protective cover and a metal boss to slam people is a good basic design and stays in use for a long time.

Most armies just used shields to catch arrows. That's why the Persian army went up against the Spartans with wicker shields, because that was good enough to stop most arrows. Two knights wailing on each other while holding shields is pretty much Hollywood storytelling.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

thrakkorzog posted:

Most armies just used shields to catch arrows. That's why the Persian army went up against the Spartans with wicker shields, because that was good enough to stop most arrows. Two knights wailing on each other while holding shields is pretty much Hollywood storytelling.

Tell that to the vikings. Or the Greeks, or, you know, Romans.

Even 'bronze' shields were often just bronze skins over leather or wood bases.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

That's what I thought, but it begs the question: why was bronze used at all if wood was so superior? I would think that wood would have been more accessible and used before something requiring that much metallurgy.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

That's what I thought, but it begs the question: why was bronze used at all if wood was so superior? I would think that wood would have been more accessible and used before something requiring that much metallurgy.

Totally guessing here, but wood doesn't bend but does split/tear/puncture along the grain. Bronze doesn't split but does bend. Cover one with the other and you might have a more useful shield. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Didn't wood shields with an iron boss sometimes have an iron rim too? If so, that would help stop chop blows which would split the wood shield like, well, firewood.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I do wonder if wood shields with metal rims and bosses won out over all metal designs not for some intrinsic superiority, but because it was good enough and so, so much lighter.

After all, in an army on campaign, you're going to spend way more time just lugging the thing around then you ever will in battle. Plus having it lighter means you can use it more nimbly outside of a phalanx, plus it's got to be easier to replace.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I don't want to interrupt this awesome shield chat :black101:, but I've got a question I've been ruminating on for a few days.

How stratified was personal mobility during Roman times?
I ask because it recently dawned on me that the major city I live in seems to be composed of 7/8ths transplants from other parts of the country and 1/8th or so locals. I imagine that the allure of life in the big city brought transplants in from all corners of the empire seeking to eke out a living much like it does here - but I feel like I could be biased with my modern perspective here because I want to think people a few thousand years ago weren't too terribly different from us except in technology, and cultural mores.

So what would the make-up be of a major city be in terms of locals, transplants, expats? Do we have any census or other information that would tell us anything like that?

frogge fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 1, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I'm not even sure we have the data for such a thing, but what I can imagine is it wasn't too static in terms of people moving: the majority of the rural population did their thing, but anyone willing to make a break for it could have ended up any of the big cities along the mediterranean. For predictable results. Your average person probably at best would become respectable trade family or marry into one.

Romans wrote a lot about evil degenerate nouveau riche (freedmans!!) but those were probably Horatio Alger stories than the norm. Modern society is pretty stratified and set, and that's with much better access to education and transportation and resources. So think that but worse. Every now and then someone made it big but the majority of populations stayed put.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

bobthedinosaur posted:

I don't want to interrupt this awesome shield chat :black101:, but I've got a question I've been ruminating on for a few days.

How stratified was personal mobility during Roman times?
I ask because it recently dawned on me that the major city I live in seems to be composed of 7/8ths transplants from other parts of the country and 1/8th or so locals. I imagine that the allure of life in the big city brought transplants in from all corners of the empire seeking to eke out a living much like it does here - but I feel like I could be biased with my modern perspective here because I want to think people a few thousand years ago weren't too terribly different from us except in technology, and cultural mores.

So what would the make-up be of a major city be in terms of locals, transplants, expats? Do we have any census or other information that would tell us anything like that?

I think geographically, the big urban areas were pretty big draws and the legions moved people around a lot. But your average farmer or even craftsman type is going to have their whole livelyhood tied up in a geographical place. They're not moving unless poo poo hits the fan and their land become flat untenable.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Those shields are glued with animal glue, that means they fall apart if not protected properly (heat and high humidity are really bad for anything glued with hide or bone glue). The leather not only serves as reinforcement, but also as a protective layer for the wood sheets. You could treat it with linseed oil, fat or wax for example. Water resistant glues and perfect sealants were far, far away in the future.

Same problem goes for the linothorax.

I kind of want to reconstruct a shield like that.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 2, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I suspect bronze shields are stronger, but they'd be a whole lot harder to make and more expensive. When you're mass-producing arms for a whole army rather than everyone bringing their own gear, you have other considerations. Even if the wood shield is marginally inferior, you can make a lot more of them and mass-produced equipment can be somewhat disposable.

Of all the pieces of gear, the shield would be the one most likely to get hosed up so I suspect they just planned for it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ynglaur posted:

In the US military at least, Lieutenants serve two purposes:
1. Serve as the ultimate morale authority of the unit. Their commission comes from the Congress and--by extension--the People. NCOs are not accountable to the people, but only to the Executive branch.
2. Learn how to be staff officers and--perhaps someday--Battalion Commanders.

#2 in particular is an evolution of the military tribune concept. The idea is that if an officer is to manage supplies, personnel, or the maneuver and disposition of a large unit, he should understand how the small units actually function.

As mentioned above: the best lieutenants (platoon leaders) and captains (company commanders) understand their NCO counterparts have far more experience with tactics, and will command accordingly. It's a very odd system, that somehow works very well in spite of itself.

The Roman system at the century level was simpler: they simply had the most senior NCO in charge.

A minor correction from a couple of pages ago, but a US officer (O-1 through O-3) is commissioned by the Secretary of Defense in the name of the President. Congress is not mentioned on the commission or in the oath of office at all.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Godholio posted:

A minor correction from a couple of pages ago, but a US officer (O-1 through O-3) is commissioned by the Secretary of Defense in the name of the President. Congress is not mentioned on the commission or in the oath of office at all.

Not quite correct. The Secretary of Defense is only authorized to do so by an act of Congress. Historically it's been a very pro forma exercise, generally bundled with other administrative items, but it technically takes an act of Congress to make a Second Lieutenant/Ensign/etc.

You are correct that the Congress is not mentioned in the oath of office at all.

It's an odd dichotomy: on the one hand, officers swear to obey the executive branch ("all legal orders" et al.); on the other, they are ultimately accountable to the People. I won't pretend it always works (see: Abu Ghraib).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Question: when was the last known temple to Plutus vacated/destroyed/etc.? Are there any active groups or temples dedicated to the worship of Roman gods active today?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
There sure are! Here's some at Aquincum, which is in modern day Budapest.

I'm sure it is not at all awkward when they tell people that "No, we are not reenactors, this is our religion."

Pretty sure those are Americans too.

And because I had never heard of Aquincum before, here's another picture. This time it's the ruins of it's military amphitheater.

Aquincum was located in Pannonia and was originally settled by celts. After Trajan's Dacian wars the legion II Adiutrix (second rescuer legion) was stationed there and it became the capital of Pannonia Inferior. Located on the Danube, it was an important part of Rome's defenses.

It's also speculated that Marcus Aurelius may have written part of his Meditations there.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Wasn't that Carnuntum?

e: Nm, that was the third book.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 4, 2014

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

JaucheCharly posted:

Wasn't that Carnuntum?

e: Nm, that was the third book.

Apropos Carnuntum, good time to link to the 3D-reconstruction of the excavated Ludus gladiatorium there, one of the biggest Ludi found to date.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Mustang posted:

There sure are! Here's some at Aquincum, which is in modern day Budapest.

I'm sure it is not at all awkward when they tell people that "No, we are not reenactors, this is our religion."

Pretty sure those are Americans too.

And because I had never heard of Aquincum before, here's another picture. This time it's the ruins of it's military amphitheater.

Aquincum was located in Pannonia and was originally settled by celts. After Trajan's Dacian wars the legion II Adiutrix (second rescuer legion) was stationed there and it became the capital of Pannonia Inferior. Located on the Danube, it was an important part of Rome's defenses.

It's also speculated that Marcus Aurelius may have written part of his Meditations there.

Were these people brought up as polytheists or did they convert from monotheism, or just nothing? As a dirty atheist who has never believed in anything, it fascinates me how the ancients went from believing in multiple gods (even if they may have just worshipped one in particular) to dismissing the existence of any other deity. Obviously, it wasn't an overnight process and Christianity evolved in its exact beliefs (e.g. Donatism), and there were likely plenty of people, particularly in the latter half of the fourth century, who 'converted' because of imperial patronage, and brought up their children like that, but it's still remarkable it happened in the first place, and on such a wide scale.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Decius posted:

Apropos Carnuntum, good time to link to the 3D-reconstruction of the excavated Ludus gladiatorium there, one of the biggest Ludi found to date.

That's great. I've been there a few times, and the gate there is really impressive. It's weird that such an influential settlement vanishes and never regains any importance (ok, geopolitical change and stinky Magyars raiding the place to hell). You can walk around there and it's just fields and the delta of the danube and the few things that they excavated. Just a rural area where you'd never set foot if it wasn't for the roman ruins.

Going over the autobahn from Vienna, you get an idea why they built the city there. The hill you see on the right of the picture is the Pfaffenberg.

I didn't find a picture from another perspective, but looking back from miles away, it dominates the area. Kinda sticks out. The place where Carnuntum was situated is at the gate into the open plains to the S and SE, but also to control everything between the Leitha and the small Karpathians, while also controlling the danube. The climate is very pleasant. I'd build a villa there if I had money.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I never really looked into the gladiatorial schools before. It is really striking to me that even their practice spaces are amphitheatrical -- practice doing certain moves that allow different parts of the crowd to get a good view? Practice dealing with being near the curved walls? Modeling having the crowd "above" you on all sides? "That's just how we built 'em"?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

homullus posted:

I never really looked into the gladiatorial schools before. It is really striking to me that even their practice spaces are amphitheatrical -- practice doing certain moves that allow different parts of the crowd to get a good view? Practice dealing with being near the curved walls? Modeling having the crowd "above" you on all sides? "That's just how we built 'em"?

I know nothing about this, but I do know that people will travel across their state to watch football teams practice during the pre-season camps. They could have sold seats to watch the gladiators train.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I know nothing about this, but I do know that people will travel across their state to watch football teams practice during the pre-season camps. They could have sold seats to watch the gladiators train.

Also, they guys were entertainers, they probably needed to learn and train how to keep the crowd in a good mood and how to do their moves to please the viewers/train and gauge reactions, so a smaller version of the ring with viewers was probably helpful - like doing dress rehearsal in theater productions.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Oh, for sure. What's interesting to me is that they bothered to make a tiny amphitheater to practice in, as opposed to a theater or straight benches. Theaters back then had that semicircular shape, and amphitheaters (Gk. amphi- "both, on both sides, all around" is cognate with Latin ambi-, like ambidextrous "both right hands", so an amphitheater is a theater on both sides) gave you sight lines from all sides. They didn't HAVE to do the little practice space that way, but did. How come?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They didn't always. I'm pretty sure the school next to the Colosseum has a semi-circle theater.

E: Welp, google image searched and looks like it's an amphitheater actually. I dunno. Possibly training for events with chariots or something?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

At a guess it was probably so gladiators could get used to fighting in realistic conditions, like people have said keeping the crowds entertained was their main job and it would be useful to know how people are actually seeing your moves. Another point, that I'm pretty much guessing at, is that I doubt crowds at the Games were as well behaved as even modern football crowds (and the ultras in Rome nowadays are pretty prone to loving things up on the pitch). I'd imagine knowing how to take a bucket of oyster shells to the back of the head and other awkward angles without totally losing focus on the fight was a basic but important part of gladiator training.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
It's not particularly large, you wouldn't have much fun driving a chariot in there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The realism makes sense. I wonder if schools also did private shows to raise some money on the side. It makes sense logically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I love how there's such a modern sensibility behind gladiatorial matches*. If you told me gladiators entered to theme music and gave interviews where they called each other out or thanked Jupiter for their last win, I'd buy it.

*more accurately, there's such an ancient sensibility behind modern sports, I guess

e. Now I'm imagining some kind of period piece film like Moneyball meets Ben Hur.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 4, 2014