Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Will the old smart keyboard work with the new one?

I'm going to guess not, since the form factor has changed. I'm not even sure if it uses an exposed Smart Connector anymore or an induction based connector to power the keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

No headphone jack on the new Pros.

Pencil has a flat side so it doesn't roll away.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I got my first gen Pro for 800 and while it did get a fair amount of use, this one sounds so much better. My grandma been looking to upgrade her ipad so I can ask if she wants to buy my old one if she not interested in the new one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm going to guess not, since the form factor has changed. I'm not even sure if it uses an exposed Smart Connector anymore or an induction based connector to power the keyboard.

drat that kinda sucks. I don't use the keyboard a whole lot but I do like it a lot.

Well... this is going to be an expensive month lol.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Pencil has a flat side so it doesn't roll away.

It also attaches magnetically, wireless charges and has a context-based touch sensor to change function.

New Pencil is a must buy with this thing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Store is up. $1749 for the 1TB 12.9 :lol:

EDIT: Jesus Christ 256 12.9, Pencil, and Smart Keyboard adds up to around $1600 I might just wait until Christmas.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 30, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Store is up. $1749 for the 1TB 12.9 :lol:

Yeah that is a little excessive.

I'm gonna get the 256 though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My 10.5 was free from work, so I feel pretty good trading it in on the 12.9.

Gonna draw some pixel perfect stick figures with boobs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ordered.

12.9 512GB
Pencil
SmartKeyboard Folio

Time to go sell some plasma.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ffffuuuuuuck I want one of these

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wish there was gold but it’s not a deal killer.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

FCKGW posted:

Mother fucker

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Ordered.

12.9 512GB
Pencil
SmartKeyboard Folio

Time to go sell some plasma.

Same but the 256 lol

Kinda annoying I couldn't do an in store pick up though. I hate having to go to the UPS depot.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

MarcusSA posted:

Same but the 256 lol

Kinda annoying I couldn't do an in store pick up though. I hate having to go to the UPS depot.

If there's a UPS Store that's closer, they'll re-route and hold there as well. That's what I do.

The new pencil made this a must buy. I use my current one every day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

If there's a UPS Store that's closer, they'll re-route and hold there as well. That's what I do.

The new pencil made this a must buy. I use my current one every day.

Maybe I'll try that. When do you try and re-route it?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m lucky I don’t do gaming or serious graphics editing on my iPad. I can keep my storage at 64 because I’ve never used more than 20 something, and that’s with all my pics backed up on here.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
Can you, uhh, utilize the usb-c to connect to external storage?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe I'll try that. When do you try and re-route it?

If you set up a UPS My Choice account, you can set a delivery preference. Then, any time someone lists a shipment to your address, it's auto-routed to be held at the preferred location. Otherwise you enter the tracking number on the website after the item is picked up from the sender, and you can pick options for delivery.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shrinkage posted:

I'm going to *guess* yes. They showed a digital camera hooked up which usually presents over USB as a storage device.

It will probably show up under the "Files.app" which is Apple's file manager.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CaptainCrunch posted:

If you set up a UPS My Choice account, you can set a delivery preference. Then, any time someone lists a shipment to your address, it's auto-routed to be held at the preferred location. Otherwise you enter the tracking number on the website after the item is picked up from the sender, and you can pick options for delivery.

If you don't have one, set it up today. You need to authenticate your address/account via a PIN. Which they send via USPS.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

If there is ANY way that drivers become available so you can connect the new iPad Pro to a Cintiq Pro via USB-C so I can run Clip Studio Paint on both the road and at home on a bigger screen I will loving be a HUGE step closer to ditching my loving macbook pro.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

Yeah I had one it was tied to my old address and holy poo poo is the My choice website a chore to navigate.

I THINK I have it set up right but we will see.

Thanks for the tip!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Aww geez, the new iPad Pros look excellent but the loss of the headphone jack hurts. My mk1 iPad Air is long in the tooth, has a shot battery, and I've exceeded the 32gb of storage at this point, but I have a buttload of music and synthesizer apps and it's important for me to be able to easily connect it to my mixer/output devices, etc.

There's a new Apple dongle out (and I'm sure the already existing ones from other companies aimed at new Android phones would work too) but dang, man. I use the port to plug keyboards and poo poo into it.

Also, apparently the old 10.5" iPad Pro is sticking around too.

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me
There’s a new Smart Folio Case but there doesn’t appear to be a new Smart Cover. Does the old Smart Cover for the 10.5 fit the new 11 inch, or are there just not Smart Covers anymore?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think I’m gonna bump up to the 12.9”.

Slave to da fruit stand :negative:

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

How does a 2nd monitor work on the iPad? The OS does not really seem setup to work with a 2nd display. Can you move apps to the 2nd display instead of split screen? How does it work if the 2nd monitor isn't touch enabled?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Aww geez, the new iPad Pros look excellent but the loss of the headphone jack hurts. My mk1 iPad Air is long in the tooth, has a shot battery, and I've exceeded the 32gb of storage at this point, but I have a buttload of music and synthesizer apps and it's important for me to be able to easily connect it to my mixer/output devices, etc.

There's a new Apple dongle out (and I'm sure the already existing ones from other companies aimed at new Android phones would work too) but dang, man. I use the port to plug keyboards and poo poo into it.

Also, apparently the old 10.5" iPad Pro is sticking around too.

Yeah and more upsetting is that they have no excuse for removing it. With the phones they can say it is to waterproof the device but on the iPad they are just being “brave” I guess.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
These new Pros look fantastic. The CPU specs are really drat impressive too, this is gonna have some serious legs barring some massive increase in iOS app requirements.

I had been thinking of getting an i7 based ultrabook for a while but I think the 12.9” pro is a way better choice for my use case and existing iOS app library!

Just gotta save up.. drat winter tires

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cowtown posted:

There’s a new Smart Folio Case but there doesn’t appear to be a new Smart Cover. Does the old Smart Cover for the 10.5 fit the new 11 inch, or are there just not Smart Covers anymore?

I don't think any of the 3rd party/Apple previous covers and folios will work with the new Pros. The side profile is completely different and anything using the SmartConnector is out of luck as it looks like it's wireless/inductive now.

I'd be willing to bet if you check Amazon in the next couple days there will be plenty of covers that will work with the Pro. Some of them may actually be decent.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Shrinkage posted:

cool bracelet guy posted:

I also saw it connect to a camera, which automatically popped open the camera roll import screen, but we’ve confirmed that it will not support external storage over USB-C. (When I complained that I just want to import RAW direct to Lightroom CC and skip the camera roll, Apple pointed to a Siri Shortcut that automatically deletes photos from the camera roll after import to Lightroom. So.)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/30/18040208/apple-ipad-pro-hands-on-screen-features-pencil-usb-c-photos-2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Well, that's poo poo.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Apple missed out on the hordes of people who would have forked over an extra $500 to get a OLED display and 2% less volume because they NEED the blackest of blacks.

Should have made it an option.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

They sure as poo poo did. I had my money ready.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ratbert90 posted:

Apple missed out on the hordes of people who would have forked over an extra $500 to get a OLED display and 2% less volume because they NEED the blackest of blacks.

Should have made it an option.

The biggest blackest dicksplay

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There isn't as much of scramble to buy new ipads as there is for iPhones right? I can just walk in to an apple store to get one no biggy right

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Proteus Jones posted:

If you don't have one, set it up today. You need to authenticate your address/account via a PIN. Which they send via USPS.

Oh, yeah, this. Been a couple years so I didn't think of this.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I had one it was tied to my old address and holy poo poo is the My choice website a chore to navigate.

I THINK I have it set up right but we will see.

Thanks for the tip!

You got it! Good luck!
(Watch Apple ship via DHL.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Calaveron posted:

There isn't as much of scramble to buy new ipads as there is for iPhones right? I can just walk in to an apple store to get one no biggy right

Probably yes but! I wouldn’t expect to get the accessories.

I’m not sure which one but it wouldn’t let me do an in store pick up because of an accessory I ordered.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Hell yeah user replaceable RAM in the Mac Mini again too. I know what my next Mac will be once my iMac starts feeling tired.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Are usb-c and lightning compatible for charging purposes? That is, am I going to need different cables for my iPhone and my new iPad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lordshmee posted:

Are usb-c and lightning compatible for charging purposes? That is, am I going to need different cables for my iPhone and my new iPad?
They're not remotely the same and you will need different cables for each.