Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:supaburn:

I've even read and enjoyed several cozy mysteries, but that description drives me up the wall for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Asimov was also infamous for groping and sexually harassing women at conventions.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

WarpDogs posted:

covers (sometimes even subtitles) that include the hyper-specific subgenre, like Such-and-Such: A Cozy Hopepunk Mystery

I saw a book the other day that was called something like "A Witch's Guide to Fake-Dating A Demon" and was like, drat, hope you've got your Archive of Our Own tags on the spine

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Every "punk" literary movement sincr splatterpunk was a mistake.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Every "punk" literary movement sincr splatterpunk was a mistake.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Look I like sweaty British weirdos writing harrowing but often silly gore books.

I can also appreciate some OG Cyberpunk.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Agreed, but if someone calls their own work "-punk" then chances are good it's about as punk as donating to the police union.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

idk, Catherynne Valente calls her books "mythpunk" and there was a whole section in one of them about how all kings are bastards (yes even the bastard you're related to, you dipshit prince)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Djeser posted:

idk, Catherynne Valente calls her books "mythpunk" and there was a whole section in one of them about how all kings are bastards (yes even the bastard you're related to, you dipshit prince)

All Crownwearers Are Bastards

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Djeser posted:

"Naw dude, I'm totally punk. I wear sneakers with a suit. Fight the power!"

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Agreed, but if someone calls their own work "-punk" then chances are good it's about as punk as donating to the police union.

I mean it's because in common parlance '-punk' is just used to designate aesthetic/culture instead of being about punk culture itself.

Like how people put '-gate' at the end of a scandal when it has nothing to do with Watergate.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You genrepunks and your definitiongates :arghfist::corsair:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Creek-fic vs. Crikpunk

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kchama posted:

Like how people put '-gate' at the end of a scandal when it has nothing to do with Watergate.
If you reverse the pattern back to the beginning, the only reasonable conclusion is that "watergate" referred to a scandal relating to water.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

If you reverse the pattern back to the beginning, the only reasonable conclusion is that "watergate" referred to a scandal relating to water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB9JgxhXW5w

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Did you notice what the name of the billionaire submarine deathtrap company was?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Djeser posted:

I was reading a historical fiction book set in ancient Egypt and the first chapter was a eunuch ogling a nubile nobleman's daughter.

River God by any chance? by Wilbur Smith? one of my all time favourite books, and certainly Smith's best work. Shame he goes loving mental and has the eunuch firing lasers out of his dick by book three.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

King Doom posted:

River God by any chance? by Wilbur Smith? one of my all time favourite books, and certainly Smith's best work. Shame he goes loving mental and has the eunuch firing lasers out of his dick by book three.

Please tell me this is not hyperbole :allears:

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Stuporstar posted:

Please tell me this is not hyperbole :allears:

It's only by a little. I loved loved loved the first book but Wilbur Smith got real weird by the later books, and of I remember correctly there was some weird abortion stuff along with the aforementioned magic dick.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I remember trying to read one of his books, but I just couldn't take it, it was too much. Every single character introduced turns out to be a wizard within a chapter, it's like fantasy Kung Fu Hustle.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I would read the poo poo out of a fantasy Kung Fu Hustle.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

kung fu hustle is just like a slightly more slapsticky version of every wuxia novel i've seen lying around my inlaw's.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Tiggum posted:

:hmmyes:

NoiseAnnoys posted:

kung fu hustle is just like a slightly more slapsticky version of every wuxia novel i've seen lying around my inlaw's.

Yeah, it rules.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Kchama posted:

:hmmyes:

Yeah, it rules.

i like it a ton but, my favorite stephen chow film is still god of cooking for purely sentimental reasons.

i wish there were more good translations of insane wuxia novels in the west. i need more bonding material with my inlaws.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

LegionAreI posted:

It's only by a little. I loved loved loved the first book but Wilbur Smith got real weird by the later books, and of I remember correctly there was some weird abortion stuff along with the aforementioned magic dick.

Wilbur Smith's earlier / usual work is historical manly men doing manly things, no? Hell of a turn

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You given Beware of Chicken a shot? It's pretty good.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

You given Beware of Chicken a shot? It's pretty good.

not yet, but this sounds like something nerdy enough for my father in law and tongue-in-cheek enough for myself. at least it'll probably be a nice read on the extremely long flight over.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Seconding this.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i like it a ton but, my favorite stephen chow film is still god of cooking for purely sentimental reasons.

i wish there were more good translations of insane wuxia novels in the west. i need more bonding material with my inlaws.

Come on down to the terrible books thread if you don't mind the quality dip involved.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844346

It's a lot of litrpg, but there are some wuxia inspired novels as well. Cradle is sort of a western written wuxia novel in a way, and we make fun of and rate all sorts of books that fall into or near the wuxia genre.

edit: probably wouldn't help you bond with your inlaws though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

NoiseAnnoys posted:

The OG insane wuxia novel, Journey to the West, has a good English translation (Anthony C. Yu's revised edition). I've been reading it between other books and am about a third of the way through.

A friend at work some years ago suggested I read Jin Yong's stuff, notably A Deadly Secret and The Wandering Swordsman, but the first translation I found of ADS wasn't very good, and she didn't know which translations (if any) were worth recommending since she wasn't reading them in translation.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

re things that put you off books before you even read them:

maps, dramatis personae, vocabularies

good on you for worldbuilding but if it isnt in the story (organically!) im not gonna read it. blame tolkien & herbert of course.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Carthag Tuek posted:

good on you for worldbuilding but if it isnt in the story (organically!) im not gonna read it. blame tolkien & herbert of course.

I read a book recently that had a "cast list" at the beginning, sorted into groups. One of the groups was "deceased people" and it included the name of a character who was alive at the start of the book and whose death 2/3rds in was clearly meant to be a shock to the reader. Still haven't figured that one out. Did they assume nobody reads those so it's ok to post spoilers? Was it originally meant to go in the end of the book and got moved? :iiam:

If an author feels that their reader will need Cliff's Notes to keep track of all the characters, they should probably take that as a failure on their part. Also, I don't *need* to know/remember the name of the 3rd prison guard on the left from the prologue 2 books ago. If it's actually important, the author should be able to work a reminder into the actual text where it's relevant.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ToxicFrog posted:

The OG insane wuxia novel, Journey to the West, has a good English translation (Anthony C. Yu's revised edition). I've been reading it between other books and am about a third of the way through.

I love Jenner's translation for fun, but yeah, Yu's the good deep-dive stuff.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

How dare you besmirch Ursula K. Le Guin and the Earthsea series :argh:

In all seriousness, I don't think a map in a book has ever affected my reading of a story. I don't go and check where the characters are on the map because I don't care, and I don't feel like I lost anything not doing that. I don't know another reason to include a map other than to do that, so I guess the map is just pretty art???

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wheatpuppy posted:

I read a book recently that had a "cast list" at the beginning, sorted into groups. One of the groups was "deceased people" and it included the name of a character who was alive at the start of the book and whose death 2/3rds in was clearly meant to be a shock to the reader. Still haven't figured that one out. Did they assume nobody reads those so it's ok to post spoilers? Was it originally meant to go in the end of the book and got moved? :iiam:

lmao that is a really weird choice yeah

wheatpuppy posted:

If an author feels that their reader will need Cliff's Notes to keep track of all the characters, they should probably take that as a failure on their part. Also, I don't *need* to know/remember the name of the 3rd prison guard on the left from the prologue 2 books ago. If it's actually important, the author should be able to work a reminder into the actual text where it's relevant.

exactly. its so much better to just go with the flow. if the author didnt put the significance of prison guard 3 being present in the (sub)text, it probably isnt significant. i dont mean to say you should spoonfeed me "tell dont show", just cmon already. dont cliffnotes me before i even read the book

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

don longjohns posted:

In all seriousness, I don't think a map in a book has ever affected my reading of a story. I don't go and check where the characters are on the map because I don't care, and I don't feel like I lost anything not doing that. I don't know another reason to include a map other than to do that, so I guess the map is just pretty art???

i forgot she put a map in there. which yeah, i dont think i referred to it because what does it matter. "they went north by the coast" is enough for me. i guess ill allow maps, but vocabularies can gently caress off.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

don longjohns posted:

If it's a good map, I might see it as a positive sign that the author paid attention to things like traveling time, and how geographical features inform political boundaries, and the types of weather that characters might encounter, etc. If it is just the same generic squared-off continent divided arbitrarily into a bunch of kingdoms, then I'mma skip right past it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Any author worth their salt knows that they can just pull out an "as you know,..." whenever they need to organically provide readers with information that the characters would already be aware of in-universe

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Maps are fun to look at and I'm in favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Hygiene posted:

Any author worth their salt knows that they can just pull out an "as you know,..." whenever they need to organically provide readers with information that the characters would already be aware of in-universe

where is that parody, its like "N.N. woke to the buzzing of his clever awakening-machine, and rose from his sleeping pad. Soon, he would have to board the air-car to travel at subsonic speeds to the other end of the continent — a trip that only took 5 hours, quite an invention indeed. Presently he arrived and as soon as a ground-car arrived on its smooth metal tracks, which had beeen some improvement over the primitive rubber wheels the primitives had used previously, he took his indicated seat on the rich corinthian leather. At his destination, he reached out to indicate to the chauffeur" etc

its not the one chandler wrote