Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
London Welsh have gone into liquidation.

If anyone cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Vagabundo posted:

Robin McBryde has been confirmed as caretaker coach for the tour of the Pacific Islands. It seems like Howley will be coaching Wales through the 6 Nations, as that campaign comes well before the Lions tour.

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/37711.php#.WEhF91wxXB4

Good to know Howley will get one last shot at cementing his terribleness on Wales before the Lions tour.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

julian assflange posted:

I wonder why he is so prone to this type of incident is he too big to play in that area of the field or something?

He never did know how to tackle properly, and now his brain is well past the point where it can learn new skills.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

julian assflange posted:

I wonder why he is so prone to this type of incident is he too big to play in that area of the field or something?

As Goat said, he's never been great at tackling, has been concussed a couple of times and that makes the chances of him getting concussed again higher.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/c741f330-01b5-417e-9273-94bb6d2521ef

This is his future if he's not careful and it's pretty scary to see. John Shaw is only 48.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 8, 2016

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, he doesn't even look that old.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vaders Jester posted:

Should be the team doctor or the independent doctor on the sideline, looks like something went seriously wrong here and they either missed the concussion or North's baseline is so low he can pass concussion protocols pretty easily.

He apparently told the team doctor that he landed on his neck, and lay on the ground with his eyes closed, because he was being careful not to move his neck at all, until the doctors moved him.

Northampton had access to video footage of the fall, but claimed that none of the angles they had available to them disproved North's claim that he landed on his neck.

There's basically no way he actually took a concussion test :(

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He could have played Aussie rules with a brain like that.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Tyma posted:

He apparently told the team doctor that he landed on his neck, and lay on the ground with his eyes closed, because he was being careful not to move his neck at all, until the doctors moved him.

Northampton had access to video footage of the fall, but claimed that none of the angles they had available to them disproved North's claim that he landed on his neck.

There's basically no way he actually took a concussion test :(

So Northampton are the evil shits in this scenario. I can kinda sympathise when a player wants to continue on but the club has a responsibility to protect their players and it was pretty loving obvious he smacked the side of his head off the ground.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Hey Eddie, how about that Dylan Hartley he's really turned over a new lea-

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

What was the red card for? I missed it.

e: Found it. After a long absence, Dylan "King oval office" Hartley is back. :v:

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/807332249708457984?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 9, 2016

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

A swinging arm to the head, it was pretty egregious and he'd only been on the field for 5 minutes, fine return to form all round.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

38-0 to Munster, I was at the match didn't have a great view so it was hard to tell whether Leicester were crap or Munster just shut them down completely.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Just watched highlights of the Edinburgh game. Pascal Pape is still an utter twat.

https://twitter.com/Oldsuliansrfc/status/807870652824907776

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

HappyCamperGL posted:

Just watched highlights of the Edinburgh game. Pascal Pape is still an utter twat.

https://twitter.com/Oldsuliansrfc/status/807870652824907776

The Edinburgh player did still punch him in the face. Yeah he made a big deal of it but he wouldn't have been able to if he hadn't been punched in the face.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

38-0 to Munster, I was at the match didn't have a great view so it was hard to tell whether Leicester were crap or Munster just shut them down completely.

I'm pretty sure we were crap. I'm at the return leg next week with some mates over from Limerick. I'm hoping there's some redemption.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Aramoro posted:

The Edinburgh player did still punch him in the face. Yeah he made a big deal of it but he wouldn't have been able to if he hadn't been punched in the face.

It was a slap not a punch,.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

HappyCamperGL posted:

It was a slap not a punch,.

You don't really slap people with the back of your hand.

Semantics aside though as soon as you make contact with someone's face like that you should be expecting to be sent off. It's not up to Pape to take it like a man, it's up to you to not hit someone in the face.

Pape shouldn't have taken such a heavy dive but Burleigh shouldn't get ao annoyed at a bit of jeresy tugging that he hits people in the face.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 11, 2016

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Toulon vs Scarlets is actually really, really good.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Burleigh was a moron, Pape was a douchecanoe. A slap is probably just a yellow card at any other time but new directives brought in mean any strike to the head will probably be red now.

Even the TMO was really surprised the ref went to red after telling him is was a slap with the fingers but thems the breaks.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Getting punched in the nose hurts really bad and you're not any less of a man for showing it hth

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Bullshit, George North would hardly notice.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The more permanent brain damage you have the manlier you are.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Clearly Pape should retire for his health, the next time someone brushes his face he risks becoming a vegetable for life.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

HappyCamperGL posted:

Clearly Pape should retire for his health, the next time someone brushes his face he risks becoming a vegetable for life.

You're really bitter about Burleigh cheating and getting caught for it aren't you? Maybe if Pape hadn't reacted Burleigh wouldn't have been caught but that doesn't alter the fact that Burleigh hit a man in the face for annoying him.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 12, 2016

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Lol no. I'm amused by Pape being a massive fanny, and annoyed at cretins defending him.

I haven't once complained about Burleigh being sanctioned. I personally think a yellow for both would have been appropriate, but a red is justifiable.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

The act of striking should stand alone, rolling around on the floor very much like a fanny is also an act which stands alone and judging players on the two acts in isolation is totally justified imo.

If you're stupid enough to strike anyone on the field these days you deserve your punishment whether it comes at the time or if it comes later via citing.

The play acting is the real dirt though, once that gets into a sport and players are rewarded for it it's a hard time stopping it happening.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Play acting is almost impossible to call though, Pape sold it to draw attention to what happened that's probably true, but how can you really say that. Have refs pouring over some replay's working out exactly how hard he was hit in the face so they can judge the appropriate amount of shock to display.

I think we all agree Stuart Hogg diving at RWC15 was pretty blatant but cardable?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

Getting punched in the nose hurts really bad and you're not any less of a man for showing it hth

If Pape had been punched, I'd agree with you.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Aramoro posted:

Play acting is almost impossible to call though, Pape sold it to draw attention to what happened that's probably true, but how can you really say that. Have refs pouring over some replay's working out exactly how hard he was hit in the face so they can judge the appropriate amount of shock to display.

I think we all agree Stuart Hogg diving at RWC15 was pretty blatant but cardable?

The problem is that the sport is a contact sport, as soon as players think it's cool to take a dive to get a penalty or someone carded, the game is utterly hosed and referees have to use their best judgement to sort it out, much like they do with any other act of foul play in the game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vaders Jester posted:

The problem is that the sport is a contact sport, as soon as players think it's cool to take a dive to get a penalty or someone carded, the game is utterly hosed and referees have to use their best judgement to sort it out, much like they do with any other act of foul play in the game.

Which is fine if there's no infringement and they're just trying to draw a penalty but as soon as there is an infringement how do you police it?

Last time someone punched Pape was Sean O'Brien, now im pretty sure Pape could have taken that hit better than he did. Should he have got a yellow card for that as well.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Nah mate, the situation isn't nearly as muddy as that. It's the simple difference between the neutral watching and going you loving sook or going you loving cheat. Your boy wasn't being a sook, he was being a cheat.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Munster are very powerful right now. A shame it took Foley's death for them to find themselves

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

As an aside from that incident in the match why can Edinburgh only play well in Europe?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

^^ Ulster too ffs. We need a clear out of the coaching staff and flattering victories against Clermont might just do us harm in the long run. I'm not cynical enough to want my team to lose just yet though.

julian assflange posted:

Munster are very powerful right now. A shame it took Foley's death for them to find themselves

They started the season as Ireland's worst team and could end up finishing it with a league title. Sad it took tragedy but they're getting huge performances at the minute.

Blyendaal could potentially be the 10 they've been looking for since ROG retired and their pack is getting back to business, they're a serious looking outfit at the minute.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Esteemed intellectual and distinguished rugby gentleman James Davies has been sanctioned, and is probably going to miss the entire Six Nations for making the "referee is a wanker" gesture to the match referee. He also may or may not have told the referee to "gently caress off" 15 seconds earlier.

https://twitter.com/powellharry10/status/807983111787204610

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Aramoro posted:

As an aside from that incident in the match why can Edinburgh only play well in Europe?

I was speaking to a few Stade fans earlier and they're convinced that Murrayfield is cursed for French club sides. It's a loving graveyard for them.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Tyma posted:

Esteemed intellectual and distinguished rugby gentleman James Davies has been sanctioned, and is probably going to miss the entire Six Nations for making the "referee is a wanker" gesture to the match referee. He also may or may not have told the referee to "gently caress off" 15 seconds earlier.

He's probably going to eat a few weeks ban for that. He might get it reduced because he immediately apologised so showing contrition etc. Probably won't be the Hartley 11 week length of ban but still enough to teach him a lesson.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Tyma posted:

From what ive heard from several rugby crowds. Hes right. The referee is indeed a wanker

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
James Davies gets 3 weeks for chatting poo poo behind the refs back.
Dylan Hartley gets 6 weeks for a cheap shot from behind.
Justice has been served :jerkbag:

Two weeks were added for his bad record, which seems lenient to me considering he's been banned at least once every year for the last 5 years.

stavros880 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

stavros880 posted:

James Davies gets 3 weeks for chatting poo poo behind the refs back.
Dylan Hartley gets 6 weeks for a cheap shot from behind.
Justice has been served :jerkbag:

Two weeks were added for his bad record, which seems lenient to me considering he's been banned at least once every year for the last 5 years.

Just in time for him to play in the 6N :downsbravo: