Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
That Brook panel :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

ChubbyThePhat posted:

That Brook panel :swoon:

I know! I'm trying to remove the speech bubble and draw in his turban behind it. If it goes well I might have a new avatar

e:

so far

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 26, 2016

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Honestly the stretch of Zou to Whole Cake island is as good as Sabaody to Marineford so far. Oda really saved his A game for Big Mom.

Also goddamn Brook better get his goddamn moment to shine I swear. I'm also not sure why Bobbin is being kept off panel so much and not being shown doing anything, the guy owns and needs more screentime.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Asuron posted:

Honestly the stretch of Zou to Whole Cake island is as good as Sabaody to Marineford so far. Oda really saved his A game for Big Mom.

Also goddamn Brook better get his goddamn moment to shine I swear. I'm also not sure why Bobbin is being kept off panel so much and not being shown doing anything, the guy owns and needs more screentime.

i genuinely wonder if the stretched out climax was to spend more time developing the next two arcs.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

anime was right posted:

i genuinely wonder if the stretched out climax was to spend more time developing the next two arcs.

He must work all through SJ's Christmas break preparing a year's worth of material.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I don't see Brook and Pedro having much of a chance against Smoothie. Brook may stall her by being immune to her ability, but she should be strong enough to win anyway without much difficulty. At best, they take out Tamago and one of them escapes, but the other gets captured.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I want to give Brook the benefit of the doubt that his 2 years helped him develop his fusion sword-music skills more. We haven't really seen him fight that much since the timeskip. I want to see him win in an interesting fashion in contrast to Zoro's method of being monstrously strong.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I don't see Brook and Pedro having much of a chance against Smoothie. Brook may stall her by being immune to her ability, but she should be strong enough to win anyway without much difficulty. At best, they take out Tamago and one of them escapes, but the other gets captured.
It probably would be the highest ranking person a non-Luffy Strawhat took out, if he actually straight up defeats her. Elite commanders under a yonkou were seen going toe to toe with admirals and shichibukai.

My bet would be that their victory would be in stealing the poneglyphs, rather than in combat. Either that or after this arc is done we'll learn that Big Mom and her crew were the physically weakest Yonkou, and their power came mainly from their organization. After all, even Uroge beat another Sweets Commander.

I hope he somehow does win. He hasn't really had a good chance to show off how powerful he can be, and if it turns out the Strawhat's skeleton musician is in fact a very potent fighter, that'd be pretty cool.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shoren posted:

I want to give Brook the benefit of the doubt that his 2 years helped him develop his fusion sword-music skills more. We haven't really seen him fight that much since the timeskip. I want to see him win in an interesting fashion in contrast to Zoro's method of being monstrously strong.

Seeing him win is fine, but against someone hyped to be at least as strong as Cracker? That would be pretty extreme.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i mean brook could probably win if we got another enel/perona moment. more likely he beats tamago or something and smoothie was introduced for fun/later.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

All I know is the Straw Hats could really use a win right now, and I'm rooting for the skeleton with the afro.

I mean, I'm not sure if Brook has really gotten a big 'moment' like a lot of the other Straw Hats, so I hope this is his time to shine.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it's weird, brook didn't even get to beat his own bad guy in his intro arc. I mean neither did nami but she's not a fighter like brook is

Sub Harrison posted:

Its gotta be Luffy Jinbei and friends cause a ruckus and Blackbeard shows up to take credit for downing Big Mom. The prelude to this arc had a lot of foreshadowing of Blackbeard making a big move and needing a load of weapons, and what could be a bigger fortress than Whole Cake Island.

Then Strawhats regroup and get credit for stomping Kaidou with the Luffy armada.

blackbeard's big move is against dragon and his revolutionary army. the foreshadowing for this was not subtle

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
His fight against Zeo was one of the highlight of Fishman Island though. Only henchman I can even remember because it was that entertaining.

He needs more moments like that

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Asuron posted:

His fight against Zeo was one of the highlight of Fishman Island though. Only henchman I can even remember because it was that entertaining.

He needs more moments like that

Zeo meant to throw that fight. He's got Brook right where he wants him now.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea it's weird, brook didn't even get to beat his own bad guy in his intro arc. I mean neither did nami but she's not a fighter like brook is

blackbeard's big move is against dragon and his revolutionary army. the foreshadowing for this was not subtle

Burgess said to follow his Vivre card and attack because "we can get our hands on a lot of weapons". Lucci mentioned all the weapons in the underground port were taken by the Revolutionaries after Doffy was defeated. I think the key thing to take away from it is Blackbeard now has his hands on all the weapons and devil fruits doffy was selling to countries, not that Teach wanted to capture Dragon.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

Seeing him win is fine, but against someone hyped to be at least as strong as Cracker? That would be pretty extreme.

Pretty sure that Cracker was the strongest of the sub-Big Mom crew. Plus Brook actually gets a bonus against this devil fruit since he is both already bone dry :yohoho: and has his spirit form. Meanwhile Luffy only beat up Cracker thanks to Nami's rain and his inhuman appetite.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

key party favors posted:

I mean, I'm not sure if Brook has really gotten a big 'moment' like a lot of the other Straw Hats, so I hope this is his time to shine.

His big moment in my book is his final concert on Saobody after the two year timeskip - giving the World Government the middle finger by declaring Luffy will become the Pirate King and then leaving as his fans hold up the government forces is a great moment for a character whose main focus is his musical ability and inhuman charisma.

It'd be cool if he gets another here, but I'm assuming his plan is to steal the poneglyph information and leave with as little fuss as possible, not to beat someone up - and I'm totally okay with that being his moment, because a character doesn't have to beat someone up to be cool.

I can see his activities acting as a diversion for other Strawhats though - especially if Bropper and Carrot escape Brulee's mirror world simultaneous to Brook and Pedro causing a ruckus.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Brooks not a fighter either though.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 26, 2016

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Gyges posted:

Pretty sure that Cracker was the strongest of the sub-Big Mom crew. Plus Brook actually gets a bonus against this devil fruit since he is both already bone dry :yohoho: and has his spirit form. Meanwhile Luffy only beat up Cracker thanks to Nami's rain and his inhuman appetite.

Why would you think Cracker was the strongest? Just because all her generals took luffy and nami down by attacking them at once doesn't mean everything else will be a cakewalk. That Samurai Lady is loving scary

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Why would you think Cracker was the strongest? Just because all her generals took luffy and nami down by attacking them at once doesn't mean everything else will be a cakewalk. That Samurai Lady is loving scary

Amande? She isn't a Sweet Commander.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
No but she's scary.

Not as scary as Bobbins though, did you see that motherfucker trying to slash Luffy with a smile on his face? Guy is fighting the future pirate king and he's having a blast. Please god give me more Bobbins before this arc is done. Bo-yo-yo-yoingggggg

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Dudes made of burning whipped creme. Burning Sugar on your skin is absolute hell

Edit: I just imagined near the end of the arc at the final fight we get a Blackbeard just showed up with Impel Down prisoners but it's Wapol

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I vaguely recall it being stated or heavily implied, as he's the guy who gets sent in to clean up the messes others failed at. I mean, he's literally a tough cookie to crack.

It's also fair to assume Luffy is working under the same handicap as when Robin first joined CP9 at Water 7. Sanji has seemingly left of his own will and Luffy wants him back but isn't totally sure what's going on. Comparably this is Luffy getting tossed through the air until he gets stuck between two buildings as the Aqua Lagoona is coming. Then he'll find out the truth and go totally sickhouse on Whole Cake Island, while Sanji beats the poo poo out of his lovely family. Then they'll all have a nice picnic with Pudding and Jinbe back where Luffy swore he was going to stay until Sanji came to his senses.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

anime was right posted:

i mean brook could probably win if we got another enel/perona moment. more likely he beats tamago or something and smoothie was introduced for fun/later.

I think this would be interesting and it feels like Brook is set up for one of those moments. Smoothie was just introduced and shown to have a power that by all accounts should be entirely useless against Brook. One of the things I love about One Piece is that it's not always the person with the greatest absolute strength that wins, there's often other elements involved. On the other hand, Brook's objective is simply to get a rubbing of the poneglyph so Robin can read it; he doesn't have to get a decisive victory over Smoothie, he just has to not lose.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Does it really matter if her power works on him or not? He doesn't know how to use Haki and she's a commander in terms of strength. He's gonna get rolled if he tries to fight her at all.

In fact there are so many people who know how to use Haki in Big Moms army and while having it doesn't mean you win automatically as we've seen before in the series, it only really feels like Luffy, Zoro, Sanji are really equipped to handle the higher ups if it came down to it. The rest of the Strawhats barring Franky don't really feel strong enough to handle any of them

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I think it does. Devil fruit users tend to find themselves at a loss when their power is ineffectual. Granted, logias are the ones that typically end up the most disadvantaged, but it would still give Brook openings. Haki isn't an instant win button either, it's mainly a way of leveling the playing field rather than gaining the upper hand. Someone strong may be able to block Brook's sword, but there's still his ice techniques to deal with, and then his music and spirit powers, and if the former can be blocked through haki then I doubt the latter can. We really just need to wait and see what Oda comes up with, but I feel like Brook is going to get some action and I know we won't be disappointed.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I imagine the Straw Hats that are in this arc will end up being more powerful than usual. They'll probably be back to being the cleanup crew when the group is back together but I wouldn't be surprised to see Chopper or Brook take out one of the major enemies. Even Nami was holding her own more than usual and the fact that Big Mom controls the weather sets her up for more fights.

Another thing I've been thinking about is what would happen if the Straw Hata actually took out Big Mom. While she and her crew might be villainous, Totland seems like a great place and it's thanks to her and her crew that it can exist. Outside of the "life or leave" thing (which no one really seems to mind) the citizens seem like they have pretty nice, peaceful lives. If Big Mom and her crew go, Totland's kinda hosed, right? I imagine there's going to be some sort of solution that ends with Big Mom dropping her grudge against Luffy or having a change of heart. It wouldn't be the first time a terrible person became an ally.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm sticking with my idea that Luffy gives her the giant-sized tea party she always dreamed of by eating so much he grows to her size. Cracker was just a warmup.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Luffy won't stand a chance against big mom unless he gets a meal from sanji first.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Luffy won't stand a chance against big mom unless he gets a meal from sanji first.

I don't think he's even had any meat for weeks, other than that super poisonous fish that was going to kill him. So Big Mom's crew has been getting wrecked by the just the tiniest fraction of Luffy's power.

If the anime was any good they'd play the Popeye theme when Luffy finally gets some of Sanji's cooking.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nekomamushi sings about lasagne to Beethoven's 5th, if that helps.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
when do people think we'll meet the final admiral?

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Nekomamushi sings about lasagne to Beethoven's 5th, if that helps.

It does make my day brighter, yes.

I kinda want Pedro and Brook's plan to go off without a hitch, right up until Brook starts making the rubbing. Then the poneglyph opens it's eyes, lets out a girlish scream, and calls Brook a pervert. Because why wouldn't Big Mom slap souls into the poneglyphs and make them her servants.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose posted:

when do people think we'll meet the final admiral?

What makes you think we haven't already met them?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Admiral Gin.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Admiral Coby, because Akainu's got that weird sense of fair play. :getin:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Gear Third

http://i.imgur.com/WrSM4jj.mp4

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wouldn't have thought luffy'd be the type to get into politics late in life, but hell, good on him for getting elected despite his criminal record

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

more like yum yum pistol am i right

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I want to be that old and wear a muscle shirt of yourself in your prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
christ i forgot how good the luffy marches to arlong park moment is, now i remember why people always recommend reading/watching to arlong park because that moment is just... jesus.