Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

JawKnee posted:

went with the ASRock z270 Pro4

Might as well go with M.2, no SATA cable to run and it is capable of higher speeds (although it probably won't matter in your day to day.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

meinstein posted:

I must've angered an old gypsy woman recently. I've had a terrible experience building this PC.

I haven't built a PC in over a decade. I don't know if cases have just improved a lot or the Define S is just that good, but everything was a joy to put together. It was all so easy! Until I couldn't get any signal to my monitor. Six hours of troubleshooting later and I'm able to get it booting... as long as I don't have the IO shield in.

Now Windows 10 doesn't want to install. I've downloaded the image twice, used two different USB sticks, tried about 7 times, and it still fails while unpacking the installation files. It says they're corrupt. Anyone else face this before?

My next step is to use the Windows 10 USB Tool to put a 10 Pro image on a new flashdrive, and then enter my 10 Education key in it and hope it works. Previously, I've been using the Windows 7 USB Tool to put a 10 Education image on my USB drives.

Sorry if this is inappropriate for this thread, didn't know if I should ask here or the Windows thread.

I've always just used the Windows Media Creation Tool to download the .ISO, then used Rufus to put the .ISO on my flash-drive while checking the little box that makes it bootable.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Consistent failure to unpack the ISO may point to a RAM issue.

EDIT: The I/O shield is also curious, my first thought there is a grounding issue.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 4, 2017

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003

Touchfuzzy posted:

I've always just used the Windows Media Creation Tool to download the .ISO, then used Rufus to put the .ISO on my flash-drive while checking the little box that makes it bootable.

Thanks. That's my next try when I get home. That tool doesn't seem to offer Education editions, which is why I saved it for a later option.

Sorry I got the name confused, I chose continuing to get mad at a computer over getting enough sleep last night.

Inspector_666 posted:

Consistent failure to unpack the ISO may point to a RAM issue.

EDIT: The I/O shield is also curious, my first thought there is a grounding issue.

I'm hoping my RAM's OK. Thanks for the tip, I'll run diagnostics before trying to install Windows again.

zombienietzsche fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 4, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Filthy Monkey posted:

I have since replaced that last fan, so it is all noctua now.

That is absurd and beautiful, but where the hell is your mobo/ram and ssd etc? I am fascinated.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Serephina posted:

That is absurd and beautiful, but where the hell is your mobo/ram and ssd etc? I am fascinated.

It's an ITX build - they're freakishly small boards.

Case in point, here's ASRock's ITX X99 board:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 4, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's an ITX build - they're freakishly small boards.

Case in point, here's ASRock's ITX X99 board:

I like how they put dual ethernet jacks on that.

Although actually I guess it's kind of perfect for a BYORouter/Firewall box so it would make sense.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Inspector_666 posted:

I like how they put dual ethernet jacks on that.

Although actually I guess it's kind of perfect for a BYORouter/Firewall box so it would make sense.

It does miss out on being able to use quad-channel memory, though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Serephina posted:

Like big headline said, it is ITX. I went with the Asus strix z270i. When you put an nh-d15 on an ITX board, the board tends to disappear. The nano-s may be a huge ITX case, but the size does allow you some silly options like that. Provided you can deal with the psu/gpu issue somehow, the cooling potential is also excellent. Like the standard define s, it is basically a front to back wind tunnel.

As for the SSD, it has a 1tb 960 Evo slotted into the motherboard.

The nano-s does have room to mount drives on the other side of the case as well, though I currently don't have anything there.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 4, 2017

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
It's an unimpressively big and spacey ITX build to be honest. If you guys think that is impressive you should check out some serious ITX cases.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Col.Kiwi posted:

It's an unimpressively big and spacey ITX build to be honest. If you guys think that is impressive you should check out some serious ITX cases.

Hm, but it's easy to work in, and it's going to run cool and be quiet. Some situations don't crave an absolutely tiny case, but rather one with decent dust filters that can sit on the floor, that also happens to be compact and light if you do want to move it about.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 4, 2017

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I was also building in Nano S recently, it was my first time actually using an ITX board and I almost laughed out loud when I saw how tiny it is.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
I finished a Nano S build recently too, and agree that it's a nice, compact case, but not nearly as tiny as the size of a mITX motherboard would suggest. Nonetheless, I'm very happy with it, as it comfortably accommodates a full size GPU and 240mm AIO cooler.

The only thing that gave me real issues is the stiff power cables of the Corsair RM650i - the ATX cable can't bend tight enough to use the cable passthrough closest to it, and comes very close to conflicting with the radiator and fans, while the PCIe cable to the GPU pushes against the side panel.

Also, in case it's useful to anyone else - the Corsair H100i v2 and RM650i each demand a USB header for Corsair Link functionality, but you can combine them to use a single header, as described here.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'm looking to upgrade my GPU in my system

People in this thread helped me build it originally - it has NEVER given me any problems, and been both a reliable art workstation and gaming PC. It's been a fantastic computer that's served me for years.

Presently I have an asus 144hz 1080p display (no g-sync tho) - as for the system itself, I have:

i7-4770 3.40Ghz
24gb DDR3 ram (The additional ram is for my art programs)
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250gb (also a 3 TB serial drive)

So what I'm looking at is either a gtx 1060 or 1070, and weighing the pros and cons of either.

Also any other upgrade options - I don't believe my motherboard supports DDR4 ram so I am pretty much stuck with the ram I got for now. Also might consider looking at new displays for the future. (Like 1440p or whatever else.)

Note: I'm going to be buying parts in Vancouver Canada, which has cruddy sales tax. (I'm an American working abroad.) If anyone has any tips on that subject, let me know.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 4, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The consensus is that for Nvidia products, @1080, a 1060 6gb is the best buy you can get. Taking a step up is severe overkill since you're paying for grunt that needs higher resolution to leverage, and taking a step down actually affects performance.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

So 1060 is my sweet spot then, eh?

All righty, help me pick out a suitable 1060 with a good deal for vancouver Canada then I guess. :)

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Spacedad posted:

So 1060 is my sweet spot then, eh?

All righty, help me pick out a suitable 1060 with a good deal for vancouver Canada then I guess. :)

If you're not married to Nvidia, the RX480 is roughly on par with the 1060 for cheaper.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Ah okay.

That said - what about the fact that I have 144hz? What about hitting closer to 144 FPS at max detail in games?

I mean if I will be fine there with a 1060 (or its equivalent) then great. I can pocket the extra money for something else. But if a 1070 is preferable, I'd like to know.

Anyway - please point me to the particular models of 1060s, RX480s, or 1070s I should be looking at to pick up.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I would get a 1070 for 144 hz. As for specific cards, I would personally buy either a MSI gaming x or an Asus strix. I am a quietness freak though. The gigabyte cooler is very good, but they tend to be noisier. I wouldn't buy an evga right now due to the fan curve and thermal pad stuff, but I am sure that plenty of people use them without issue.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 4, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Filthy Monkey posted:

I would get a 1070 for 144 hz.

Could you explain that reasoning? The price differential is pretty huge just for e-penis waving about how far above 72fps you are. He even mentioned no gsync; so he'll be having vsync on, or enjoying that delicious screen tearing after paying a price premium for the privilege

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like I can actually order and free-shipping my gtx 1070 to canada from B&H Photo in US without paying a cent in sales tax. *Pay New York sales tax, but not BC sales tax. (Which is much much much much smaller.)

If this is the case I'll be earmarking them to make my electronics purchases in the future.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 4, 2017

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Serephina posted:

Could you explain that reasoning? The price differential is pretty huge just for e-penis waving about how far above 72fps you are. He even mentioned no gsync; so he'll be having vsync on, or enjoying that delicious screen tearing after paying a price premium for the privilege

Well, you could always use triple buffering (on the 3 games it's actually implemented properly).

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Spacedad posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like I can actually order and free-shipping my gtx 1070 to canada from B&H Photo in US without paying a cent in sales tax. *Pay New York sales tax, but not BC sales tax. (Which is much much much much smaller.)

If this is the case I'll be earmarking them to make my electronics purchases in the future.
I'm pretty sure you have to pay a customs fee at some point in the transaction to account for the lack of a Canadian sales tax. Might want to confirm this before you pull the trigger.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
I play 1080p @60 Hertz and rarely use vsync.

The input lag it creates is brutal vs screen tearing that I can help minimize by setting my frame limiter between 80-120. I'm using a gtx970 I got for free though.

To be fair some games use of vsync seems fine but I don't regularly play many of those.

Maybe I just have odd preferences though.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

He has the option of aiming for 90hz or 120hz for v-sync where the lag is a bit less noticable and the game is smoother.
A 1070 would be a good way to get there.

Probably the best thing to do for anyone in this situation, is to turn down game settings til you get an existing game running at much greater than 60fps, and see if you note and enjoy the difference over 60. 60fps looks like "video game" to most people.

My personal taste breaks things down like:

15-25 - juddery mess and unacceptable.
25-35 - playable for some games but not looking nice
35-50 - looking good, playable for almost anything
50-70 - playable for anything
70-90 - looks 'perfect'
90+ - takes on a 'super smooth' quality

144-165 -- try to hit this for racing sim immersion

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's cool to see what other think of it. Personally, I try to hit things at about 240fps for that buttery smoothness, anything less just feels a bit gritty, you know? I was personally delighted to hear about the Ryzen announcement, finally I'll be able to play quake3 the way it was meant to be!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Khablam posted:

70-90 - looks 'perfect'

144-165 -- try to hit this for racing sim immersion

Can you (general you, not necessarily Khablam specifically) actually see a difference between 70, 100, and 144+ fps? I have no real experience with framerates that high.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Grundulum posted:

Can you (general you, not necessarily Khablam specifically) actually see a difference between 70, 100, and 144+ fps? I have no real experience with framerates that high.

Not in that you can point to one and say "that's 83 Hz", but you can feel the difference when framerates fluctuate between those numbers under adaptive sync (i.e., it's not inconsistent frame timing causing the issue).

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Heyo thread. Finally getting around to upgrading my motherboard / CPU, because otherwise I'm still running my i7 920 from 2008-2009 :eyepop:

I have a semi-modern GPU and PSU with SSD so assume that I'll just use my old ones. The most strenuous thing that will be done on this computer is gaming on 2560×1440.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.64 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($37.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($224.97 @ Jet)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 6TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($212.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $828.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-04 12:22 EST-0500

I haven't done much in terms of choosing parts since that original build nearly 10 years ago, outside of recommending a part or two with friends. I know right now with Kaby Lake I'm on the bleeding edge(tm) so generally I want to make sure all my parts work together well enough.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

logikv9 posted:

Heyo thread. Finally getting around to upgrading my motherboard / CPU, because otherwise I'm still running my i7 920 from 2008-2009 :eyepop:

I have a semi-modern GPU and PSU with SSD so assume that I'll just use my old ones. The most strenuous thing that will be done on this computer is gaming on 2560×1440.

Motherboard: ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($224.97 @ Jet)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 6TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($212.99 @ SuperBiiz)

I haven't done much in terms of choosing parts since that original build nearly 10 years ago, outside of recommending a part or two with friends. I know right now with Kaby Lake I'm on the bleeding edge(tm) so generally I want to make sure all my parts work together well enough.

If you're just gaming, you can definitely drop down to 16GB of DDR4-3000.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

logikv9 posted:

How old is your PSU? If its older than 5 years and/or out of warranty it would be wise to replace it since they deteriorate with age and use.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Im having such a nightmare building my new rig. Z170a msi g43 Pure board with a 6600k and a Bequiet! Pure Rock Slim cooler. I think the cooler must be destroying the cpu because Ive gotten two 6600s off ebay now and the first time the substrate bent, the second it refuses to start in just the same way but with no visible damage to the cpu. Think it must be fried. Boards fine took it for testing at the shop and no probs. So much money down the loving drain. I had no problems with my last build, this one seems cursed.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Grundulum posted:

I know I could tell if a CRT was refreshing below 85Hz or so back in the day. 60 was distinctly flickery, 75 was flickery in my peripheral vision, 85 ended up looking pretty much solid. I haven't been able to test this again for obvious CRT-lacking reasons.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
After a bit of time using it I think i now notice the difference between 60-75hz but only going at a high speed in gta v or dirt rally. There's a very slight smoothness when zipping through tight crowded areas.

Or I could be imagining it...

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Sashimi posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to pay a customs fee at some point in the transaction to account for the lack of a Canadian sales tax. Might want to confirm this before you pull the trigger.

Of course. I'm going to be double/triple checking everything before I make a purchase. But from googling around on the subject it looks like if you have a USD account you can pretty much do this fine.

Something to note though: B&H photo is always closed on friday evening through saturday in observance of the Jewish Sabbath. So I won't be able to do checkout 'final check' total till then, though they do pre-calculate the taxes and shipping on the shopping cart page, and even let you price it by Canadian currency.

Poking around more, it seems B&H has a great rep for shipping to canada with cheap customs clearance too so who knows what voodoo they are working to make that happen. Anyway it seems like I've found who's gonna be my primary supplier of electronics up here now because even buying game console stuff at best buy here would tax me through the nose. Basically anything over $100 I can get through them without any shipping or insane taxes on poo poo.

Edit: Apparently LL Bean also has a similar pre-clearance arrangement thing to B&H. Huh.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 4, 2017

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

HalloKitty posted:

Hm, but it's easy to work in, and it's going to run cool and be quiet. Some situations don't crave an absolutely tiny case, but rather one with decent dust filters that can sit on the floor, that also happens to be compact and light if you do want to move it about.
Don't want to start a whole derail about SFF but the problem with the Nano S is it is significantly larger than the smallest mATX cases, some of which can offer the same level of cooling. For example silverstone SG10 is significantly smaller while taking mATX. Sorry I just love SFF and get nerdragey about ITX cases that are bigger than mATX cases. The guy did have admirable cable management I'll give him that

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Grundulum posted:

Yes and no. For purely visual differences you need a bigger gain to notice it. e.g. GTA V plays at 85-100 fps for me, and I can tell the instant I move the camera if I've accidentally left my monitor locked to 60hz (thanks Bethesda games). F1 2016 MSAA defaults itself to silly levels for some reason and drops performance to around 90-100fps; this is enough below 144 where I like it to be to make me miss specific timings, even though visually everything looks smooth.

If I cap anything running at 144 to 90 it's a bit noticeable. If I launch anything that locks to 144 easily (rocket league or something) with the aforementioned 60hz lock enabled it's instantly obvious and things feel stuttery.
You're really never going to notice the difference though if you've never seen higher FPS.

From a purely sciencey answer; yes the human eye can A/B frame-rates to relatively high levels.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I know this to be the case because not only have I physically seen it, but I'm an animator so paying attention to how framerate affects how things look is one of the things I do.

Getting a great framerate is fairly important to me so I will prob go with a GTX 1070.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Sashimi posted:

How old is your PSU? If its older than 5 years and/or out of warranty it would be wise to replace it since they deteriorate with age and use.

It's *counts on fingers* 9 years old... :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

logikv9 posted:

It's *counts on fingers* 9 years old... :sweatdrop:

I think the OP points this out but remember that the PSU is the single item in your PC that can simultaneously destroy every other component when it fails.