Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

That episode has one of my favorite jokes in the series with the crazy Hulk Hogan road rage guy. Stebe whispering "bird brain" under his breath and the reaction are so good. It's so abrupt and I'm pretty sure that Hulk Hogan guy died in an earlier episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The cuts back to him there at the end are all just great; also the Bouncing Souls out of nowhere, and they’re not even the right genre!

The show just opting to just embrace the weird/stupid poo poo as it goes on is really endearing. I hated the characters at the start but the revelation that not only the family are idiots but so is everyone else makes them like-able for some reason. The impression that it’s some Succession deal wasn’t doing it for me but it’s way closer to American Dad insofar as the base premise is in theory present but is usually completely ignored outside of it being needed for a gag or plot framing device.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Last Call posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmc0tpOHBHA

Glitch did a little merch vid for it's new TADC stuff.

It might actually be better than the second TADC episode.

Man I bet they're relieved people liked Gummy Goo :v:

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Warbird posted:

The cuts back to him there at the end are all just great; also the Bouncing Souls out of nowhere, and they’re not even the right genre!

The show just opting to just embrace the weird/stupid poo poo as it goes on is really endearing. I hated the characters at the start but the revelation that not only the family are idiots but so is everyone else makes them like-able for some reason. The impression that it’s some Succession deal wasn’t doing it for me but it’s way closer to American Dad insofar as the base premise is in theory present but is usually completely ignored outside of it being needed for a gag or plot framing device.

My shazam has been the songs at the end of episodes of Royal Crackers. Not usually a fan of music involving adult swim, but this show really nails it for me. Bouncing Souls "True Believers" worked so well, Deer Tick "Dirty Dishes" at the end of the Craftopia episode, Berndsen "Supertime" at the end of the captain crackers episode.

I like how they keep the cracker factory around but it's not the only focus. Gives them money to do crazy stuff and since their factories are full of nightmarish creatures they are interesting by themselves.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My god, the use of Barbie Girl in the episode that spotlights their assistant.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Does that mean no season 2?

Max cancelled it. Netflix could revive it?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

feedmyleg posted:

It kinda just seems like you might not know much about music?

Accurate. That's a very accurate thing you just said.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

My god, the use of Barbie Girl in the episode that spotlights their assistant.

This episode was insanely good honestly

I loved the Bouncing Souls needledrop especially as the creator also used one of their songs (Gone) in a thing he made when he was 16 (also yeah I’m the goon who knows someone who works on the show and it’s him lol)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
But if we could get to the beach, we wouldn't HAVE to be metal plated!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

This episode was insanely good honestly

I loved the Bouncing Souls needledrop especially as the creator also used one of their songs (Gone) in a thing he made when he was 16 (also yeah I’m the goon who knows someone who works on the show and it’s him lol)

Your friend and their creative team are all loving dumbasses and I love them dearly.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

AlternateNu posted:

But if we could get to the beach, we wouldn't HAVE to be metal plated!

How many times do I have to tell you? BECAUSE WE'D BE. AT THE BEACH.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

New Smiling Friends is good
I hope it runs for ten seasons

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Wasn’t really expecting a reverse Rodger Rabbit but here we are.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Smiling Friends might just be "perfectly cut screams" the show, but gently caress if it doesn't make me laugh every time anyway.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The President episode of smiling friends did not work for me. The President was just too gross lol.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The President episode of smiling friends did not work for me. The President was just too gross lol.

i mean trump and poo poo. the loving mister frog ad was perfect.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean trump and poo poo. the loving mister frog ad was perfect.

Oh, nothing but respect for Mr. Frog. He’s an institution.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Oh, nothing but respect for Mr. Frog. He’s an institution.

look. i love when mister frog got high at that rally and killed ever 3rd person with a hammer and blow torch. its policy i can believe in.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 13, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sockser posted:

New Smiling Friends is good
I hope it runs for ten seasons

:hmmyes:

Every episode of Smiling Friends is a joy to watch. I don't know how they keep doing it.

I don't know what a typical Adult Swim show costs to make, but according to Wikipedia the production cost for the whole first season of Smiling Friends was about the same as a single episode of Family Guy, which is apparently around $2 million dollars.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

with family guy and the simpsons i think like 90% of an episodes budget just goes to the lead voice actors

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fox announced that The Great North was renewed for another season and a new animated show that hasn't aired yet was also renewed for a second season. The new show is Universal Basic Guys which is about two brothers who lose their jobs to automation and in compensation start receiving UBI benefits where they are paid to not work.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Fox has generally been doing the whole two-season order thing for quite a while. It's the 3rd and onward that seem rarer now.

Re: budgets of these shows
When it comes to really long-running shows, actors and such scale gets that much higher, even if digital animation production ostensibly makes the process cheaper.

Family Guy also still uses an orchestra, which is neat.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 14, 2024

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

So I just got an add for some Adam Corolla-headed Daily Wire cartoon and it unsurprisingly looks awful.

Like beyond just being made by the worst people and containing the kind of jokes you'd expect from an Adam Corolla/Ben Shapiro collab, it looks incredibly generic. Like I swear I've seen this show a half dozen other times by now.

I know the joke was every cartoon uses the "CalArts style", but the "lovely One Season Adult Sitcom" style is way worse to look at than seeing a big toothy grin a lot.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

repiv posted:

with family guy and the simpsons i think like 90% of an episodes budget just goes to the lead voice actors

There's nothing wrong with that, although the animators deserve to get Paid, too.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I do appreciate Smiling Friends taking a different approach when making a politics episode.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

So I just got an add for some Adam Corolla-headed Daily Wire cartoon and it unsurprisingly looks awful.

Like beyond just being made by the worst people and containing the kind of jokes you'd expect from an Adam Corolla/Ben Shapiro collab, it looks incredibly generic. Like I swear I've seen this show a half dozen other times by now.

I know the joke was every cartoon uses the "CalArts style", but the "lovely One Season Adult Sitcom" style is way worse to look at than seeing a big toothy grin a lot.

Is it that one where they are advertising it as "the WOKE networks won't air this show" and the clip they show with it is the most blandest poo poo in the world?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

I do appreciate Smiling Friends taking a different approach when making a politics episode.

Is it that one where they are advertising it as "the WOKE networks won't air this show" and the clip they show with it is the most blandest poo poo in the world?

Yeah. Where they have the wolf talking about its pronouns. Not an actual joke but an incredible simulation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, it is the networks fault because they're too woke and not the fact that Adam Carolla has been a washed up right wing has been for over like 10 years.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Isn't Danny Trejo in the show, too?

Today's the day for being disappointed in actors, I suppose.

e: to clarify, Anson Mount, the star of Star Trek: Strange New World has come out on the pro-Israel genocide side and is getting friendly with terfs and other horrible people.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 14, 2024

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Isn't Danny Trejo in the show, too?

Today's the day for being disappointed in actors, I suppose.

e: to clarify, Anson Mount, the star of Star Trek: Strange New World has come out on the pro-Israel genocide side and is getting friendly with terfs and other horrible people.

Danny Trejo has said in the past that he’ll take any job offered him because it keeps him busy and out of trouble.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Thr Smiling Friends politics episode was great. I especially loved Mr. Frog's campaign commercial and the Ross Perot jokes.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Been watching Smiling Friends and I don't know what I was expecting but I wouldn't have guessed what it is. Some episodes are so "normal" like the Brazil one but mostly so bizarre. It works really well, and the 15-minute format is good because I don't get overwhelmed. The animation gags and mixing real people in is hilarious too. 3d squelton was one of my favorites.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

its not funny because it doesnt know how to be edgy. chuds just poo poo on the victim while playing some sneering off brand norm mcdonald, its never funny. I like edgy poo poo and even some Un PC comedy poo poo but even those come out of a place of some empathy even if i dont think all the stuff lands. this stuff just ugly cheap bullshit for some clowns to score points in a game only they play. its also always the blandest poo poo either and its the same 5 jokes. thats it.

gurragadon posted:

Been watching Smiling Friends and I don't know what I was expecting but I wouldn't have guessed what it is. Some episodes are so "normal" like the Brazil one but mostly so bizarre. It works really well, and the 15-minute format is good because I don't get overwhelmed. The animation gags and mixing real people in is hilarious too. 3d squelton was one of my favorites.

i saw this on a discord and i genuinly hope a kid actually drew this.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Aiden is a pretty cool kid NGL.

Edit: He was doodling those cool S shapes in different forms. Definity something I did in school.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 14, 2024

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its not funny because it doesnt know how to be edgy. chuds just poo poo on the victim while playing some sneering off brand norm mcdonald, its never funny. I like edgy poo poo and even some Un PC comedy poo poo but even those come out of a place of some empathy even if i dont think all the stuff lands. this stuff just ugly cheap bullshit for some clowns to score points in a game only they play. its also always the blandest poo poo either and its the same 5 jokes. thats it.

i saw this on a discord and i genuinly hope a kid actually drew this.

Lol I just noticed the little cloud in the bottom right corner labeled "fart".

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

A.o.D. posted:

There's nothing wrong with that,

There is for the Simpsons. Nancy Cartwright is a scientologist and gives literal millions of dollars to people that bash mental health and psychiatry. She's one of their highest donors, if not THE highest.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I. M. Gei posted:

There is for the Simpsons. Nancy Cartwright is a scientologist and gives literal millions of dollars to people that bash mental health and psychiatry. She's one of their highest donors, if not THE highest.

If I remember right, I've read Cartwright is even ranked higher than Tom Cruise in the organization.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

gurragadon posted:

Have you seen God yet? Perfect casting choice.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dawgstar posted:

If I remember right, I've read Cartwright is even ranked higher than Tom Cruise in the organization.

She's made bigger donations than Tom Cruise. The last one I heard about was something like $10 million, although that was about 10 years ago.

It's high time scientology got blasted by another large-scale smear campaign like Project Chanology did back in like 2009. Antipsych poo poo needs to be met with the same vitriol we have against nazis.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

She's made bigger donations than Tom Cruise. The last one I heard about was something like $10 million, although that was about 10 years ago.

It's high time scientology got blasted by another large-scale smear campaign like Project Chanology did back in like 2009. Antipsych poo poo needs to be met with the same vitriol we have against nazis.

didnt the church fracture lately or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Sure, gently caress Scientology and cults in general, but that's not going to shift my stance that labor should get paid.