Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I drove past a (minor) car accident on the m25 yesterday which involved a brand new tesla, and my first thought was of njan99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have firefox on mobile since that + ublock is how I use mobile youtube, it's unusable otherwise. On my PC which I use a lot more, I use chrome mainly because firefox's translation plugins can't hold a candle to the one in chrome which can translate a page withot loving it up or reloading it. And that feature alone is too useful for me to give up chrome yet.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

1965917 posted:

I'm just running ublock origin on firefox, have zero youtube ads.

Twitch is basically unwatchable though. Also, its full of ads.

Yeah, that's the combo I use. I get the warning overlay with a timer on it; when the timer becomes a cross I close it and everything works. Only takes a couple of seconds.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, that's the combo I use. I get the warning overlay with a timer on it; when the timer becomes a cross I close it and everything works. Only takes a couple of seconds.

If you are still getting the warning popup then the adblock isn't working. Clear/update the ublock filters and refresh the page.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

1965917 posted:

Twitch is basically unwatchable though. Also, its full of ads.
Alternate Player for Twitch.tv

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

^^ this one's great

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

it is darkly funny that it’s the tory party that’s snatching all the identity politics signifiers of first this and that

It's because 90% of Tory MPs are basically interchangeable on policy, so you can pick whoever you want based on any kind of identifier (as long as that identifier isn't "trans" ofc) and the end result is largely the same.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Owen Jones is melt-adjacent at best.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Owen Jones is a good lad who means well.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

keep punching joe posted:

Owen Jones is a good lad who means well.

he was a good lad who meant well

then he spent several years yelling "well labour are evidently poo poo but we have to back them regardless, don't ask me for reasons just do it" and it's addled him because I think he knows the position is utter poo poo and yet he's compelled for whatever reason to hold to some fevered dream of another left wing candidate happening before the system collapses

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Installed it last week. :thumbsup:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
maybe owen jones is poo poo but whenever hes on telly, or a youtube clip (not that I'll know anymore) hes bound to be a million percent better than whoever hes appearing to "balance"

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

keep punching joe posted:

If you are still getting the warning popup then the adblock isn't working. Clear/update the ublock filters and refresh the page.

Tried that before and the popup comes back on the next new tab. I don't care enough to troubleshoot at this point; it works well enough.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have firefox on mobile since that + ublock is how I use mobile youtube, it's unusable otherwise. On my PC which I use a lot more, I use chrome mainly because firefox's translation plugins can't hold a candle to the one in chrome which can translate a page withot loving it up or reloading it. And that feature alone is too useful for me to give up chrome yet.

this always bugged me too but Firefox actually recently got an update which allows for inline translation

Oct 4, 2005

Well this is ace, thank you!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Runcible Cat posted:

Tried that before and the popup comes back on the next new tab. I don't care enough to troubleshoot at this point; it works well enough.

That's what mine did until it then counted down his many videos you could watch. Then off.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

maybe owen jones is poo poo but whenever hes on telly, or a youtube clip (not that I'll know anymore) hes bound to be a million percent better than whoever hes appearing to "balance"

I agree entirely but the same could be said of a midrange novelty teapot

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

WhatEvil posted:

He has 4 articles on the Graun published this month, the latest of which was on Tuesday... so I think he still works there.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/24/israel-gaza-world-leaders-un-genocide-palestinians

He was on staff, now he's a freelancer.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Good luck to all the protestors today, whichever city you're in. If you're in London, just a reminder it starts at 12pm around Embankment so see you there, if you decide to come.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

frytechnician posted:

Good luck to all the protestors today, whichever city you're in. If you're in London, just a reminder it starts at 12pm around Embankment so see you there, if you decide to come.

100% this. And thank you to those who are attending, from someone who really wants to be there but can't.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

100% this. And thank you to those who are attending, from someone who really wants to be there but can't.

Same.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the guardian has written about the attempted new clinics for trans kids and i read the article. i should employ someone to look over my shoulder and stop me reading guardian articles on trans issues

quote:

To complicate matters further, an NHS consultation designed to gather views on how best to support children with gender dysphoria has identified two irreconcilable outlooks on the best approach: one group is cautious about the prescription of puberty blockers, while the second is suspicious of exploratory therapy, arguing that it could enter the realm of conversion practices.

Tensions have also emerged in the small team charged with developing teaching materials for staff at the new clinics. There are polarised views on how quickly patients with gender dysphoria should be assisted towards social and medical transition, and how much focus should be given to other issues present in their lives, such as trauma and homophobic bullying.

a chunk of medical staff seem to be of the mind that people transition to not be gay anymore. because nobody bullies trans kids

quote:

But some of those within the team involved in setting up the new services are challenging Cass’s recommendations. Several people told the Guardian tensions were emerging as clinicians tried to draw up training modules for staff. One person close to the work described the atmosphere as “tribal”.

Meetings are said to be polite, but privately clinicians have dismissed those holding opposing views variously as “activists”, for promoting trans rights, or “conversion therapists” or “transphobes”, for questioning a child’s self-diagnosis.

Staff disagree about whether patients should be referred to as “trans kids”, whether new pronouns and new names should be used if parents and children disagree, and about the definition of basic terms, including gender.

“Some clinicians are very affirmative, and believe most patients will benefit from medication and will transition. Others are more cautious and want to think about the child’s development,” a source close to the training discussions said.

“It has been very challenging and there has been a lot of pressure to finalise things when there’s no consensus within the team. I don’t know how we will get to a middle ground.”

One current member of Tavistock staff said: “What they are proposing to do is gender exploratory therapy. My view, as a clinician working in gender services, is that this is tantamount to conversion therapy for trans youth. It’s very problematic and very unethical.”

i can't believe other staff are calling me a transphobic conversion therapist just for being transphobic and wanting to do conversion therapy

quote:

In August, NHSE began sending letters to about 3,000 patients who were either 17 or would turn 17 before next April, telling them the waiting list was so long they would not be seen before they were too old for children’s services, and advising them to get a new GP referral to adult services.

This has caused unease among some clinicians and parents, who argue that 18– to 25-year-olds should be eligible for a more therapy-focused treatment. Under the adult treatment pathway, if a patient is certain about their decision, they can be prescribed cross-sex hormones after two appointments.

Sarah (not her real name), whose 17-year-old child recently received a letter telling her to seek a referral to the adult services, was uneasy about the development. Her teenager had said she wanted to become a boy four years ago, had begun to socially transition, and had been on the waiting list for more than a year.

The child, who has an autism diagnosis, is taking testosterone sourced without a GP’s involvement from an unregulated provider on the internet, and her voice has deepened.

“I’m concerned that the adult system will not explore anything,” Sarah said. “I’m worried it will be: let’s get you on the prescription and see whether we can do surgery. It’s entirely the wrong approach for a vulnerable child. Her autism means she’s significantly behind in terms of her development, but she will be treated as an adult, making decisions that there is no coming back from.”

The mothers of two neurodiverse 17-year-olds are taking the NHS to court, concerned that by shifting their children to adult clinics they risk allowing them to start irreversible treatments, including surgery, without their complex underlying mental health issues being appropriately explored.

The two women say there is a risk that their children’s “coexisting mental health problems will not be properly addressed” in the adult services. The judicial review wants NHSE to align its adult services with its changed services for young people.

some parents are feeling uneasy that their children will be able to make their own decisions when they become legal adults. also some misgendering of a trans child thrown in just for fun. its ok though because they're autistic? I also love the guardian's use of "neurodiverse" here, like, yes we recognise that they have a different way of thinking and still deserve respect but they also definitely can't be trusted to choose their own pronouns because my pal read something on mumsnet

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB2yqeD0Nus

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

APT has one big flaw: it fucks up the display of the Settings menu, including removing access to Moderator Tools should you happen to be a mod.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

I also love the guardian's use of "neurodiverse" here, like, yes we recognise that they have a different way of thinking and still deserve respect but they also definitely can't be trusted to choose their own pronouns because my pal read something on mumsnet
It's wild that someone can see "autism usually presents differently in boys and girls" and "here is a population of trans boys with autism, presenting as it more commonly does in boys" and conclude "therefore they are too mentally incompetent to make medical decisions" rather than "hey maybe that's part of some statistical proof that gender identity is neurostructural and not something made up by the TRAs."

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's funny that if you were rabidly anti-abortion, you wouldn't last long trying to work in NHS abortion services.
But being rabidly transphobic seems to make it nice and straightforward to work in NHS trans services.

Sorry, I've just been told it isn't funny; it's a loving disgrace.

Why can't these pricks go and find some other job to do?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Same. I’m ill and I feel so bad for not being there. Solidarity to all in attendance wherever you are.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm probably going to be probed for my post in the I/P thread, so I'm going to post it here: It's important people see what Gaza is waking up to this morning

fuctifino posted:

The scene this morning in Gaza - https://twitter.com/CarlEckett/status/1718186555062309109

I should probably spoiler the blood and gore, but I'm not going to because the world needs to loving see this, and I'll take any 24'er as punishment

There's no loving excuse for this.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 28, 2023

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Only skimmed it till

"Sarah (not her real name)"

then got real angry by proxy cause my eldest is trans and has spent years in limbo while loving liberals handwring over some obviously terf poo poo that ensures an endless and meaningless "debate" while nothing, nothing, nothing gets done

and I recently did the philosophy tube 133 emails video where she talks about the issues getting care so the angry just kinda kept rolling

then I hosed off reading the rest of it

I wish there was a hell for bigots to rot in

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Angepain posted:

some parents are feeling uneasy that their children will be able to make their own decisions when they become legal adults. also some misgendering of a trans child thrown in just for fun. its ok though because they're autistic? I also love the guardian's use of "neurodiverse" here, like, yes we recognise that they have a different way of thinking and still deserve respect but they also definitely can't be trusted to choose their own pronouns because my pal read something on mumsnet

It's so fascinating and deeply sad to me that these parents really go, "oh, so autistic people are more likely than the general population to be trans or non-binary. That is to say, a spectrum of people who are often famously less attuned to social performance and social expectation, instead focusing on what feels internally meaningful to them regardless of whether others find it unusual, are more likely to discard traditional gender norms. So the only possible conclusion there is that they just don't actually know what they are, see, because of their strangebrains."

Like, why is your first thought 'my kid's understanding of themselves is unreliable and I know them better' and not 'wow, yes, I guess a great deal of my own identity has been built up around the expectations of other people essentially from birth?' What's in your brain, what's in your heart?

frytechnician posted:

Same, me and the wife are going to try and hopefully make it to the Bristol protest tomorrow.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ZahiraJaser/status/1718207062155334031

There's a lot of the quiet stuff being said out loud at the moment. Stay safe everyone. x

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
As an anecdote, I will note that I am left-handed. Like many, I have some right-handedness due to most things being right hand biased. To this day, people are always 'splaining to me how hard it is to be a leftie when they are a righty. No, it never occurs to them, if it did they wouldn't be 'splaining in the first place.

That's just for handedness.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Angepain posted:

This mum is in for a quare gunk if she ever realizes that getting booted to the adult track is the best possible thing for loving over her son. It's going to take years upon years for that first appointment to roll around, and that's if he's referred to a GIC that is still grinding through their backlog, rather than the ones who have essentially lost that capacity entirely.

E; All solidarity to the people marching for Palestine, all solidarity to the people of Gaza, from the river to the sea!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

grobbo posted:

It's so fascinating and deeply sad to me that these parents really go, "oh, so autistic people are more likely than the general population to be trans or non-binary. That is to say, a spectrum of people who are often famously less attuned to social performance and social expectation, instead focusing on what feels internally meaningful to them regardless of whether others find it unusual, are more likely to discard traditional gender norms. So the only possible conclusion there is that they just don't actually know what they are, see, because of their strangebrains."

Like, why is your first thought 'my kid's understanding of themselves is unreliable and I know them better' and not 'wow, yes, I guess a great deal of my own identity has been built up around the expectations of other people essentially from birth?' What's in your brain, what's in your heart?

here are two different things that can happen to the brain, and for both we have no real idea how exactly they end up developing or what goes on in the brain exactly for it to happen. there are zillions of potential reasons why the two might correlate, e.g. autistic people being more likely to question social norms, the stress of gender dysphoria exacerbating mental conditions and making them more clear, some mystery third process that correlates with whatever process brings the two about, the caprices of the magical gnomes that control brain development for all we loving know, etc etc

so out of all these, we should assume the one that infantilises autistic people as much as possible: that their autism makes them unable to tell what makes them happy but specifically just for gender identity and not really for anything else. this makes sense to me, a terrible person, because it both means i don't have to think of my child as their own person with agency and also I don't have to question my received prejudices about what sex and gender is. this is the "safe" option because i have decided gender dysphoria isn't real and so not treating it has no consequences to consider

Ms Adequate posted:

This mum is in for a quare gunk if she ever realizes that getting booted to the adult track is the best possible thing for loving over her son. It's going to take years upon years for that first appointment to roll around, and that's if he's referred to a GIC that is still grinding through their backlog, rather than the ones who have essentially lost that capacity entirely.

if the kid gets really lucky though he might get treatment before the age of 25, which terfs have decided is still too young. or by then they'll have moved on to the limit being age 40, when life truly begins

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DesperateDan posted:

Only skimmed it till

"Sarah (not her real name)"

then got real angry by proxy cause my eldest is trans and has spent years in limbo while loving liberals handwring over some obviously terf poo poo that ensures an endless and meaningless "debate" while nothing, nothing, nothing gets done

and I recently did the philosophy tube 133 emails video where she talks about the issues getting care so the angry just kinda kept rolling

then I hosed off reading the rest of it

I wish there was a hell for bigots to rot in

Far be it for me to give the Guardian the benefit of the doubt but the "not her real name" bit may not be as mean spirited as you seem to think & just providing anonymity to the girl.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I think Sarah is the 'reasonable concerns' terfy mother, rather than the kid's deadname.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Angepain posted:

so out of all these, we should assume the one that infantilises autistic people as much as possible: that their autism makes them unable to tell what makes them happy but specifically just for gender identity and not really for anything else. this makes sense to me, a terrible person, because it both means i don't have to think of my child as their own person with agency and also I don't have to question my received prejudices about what sex and gender is. this is the "safe" option because i have decided gender dysphoria isn't real and so not treating it has no consequences to consider

if the kid gets really lucky though he might get treatment before the age of 25, which terfs have decided is still too young. or by then they'll have moved on to the limit being age 40, when life truly begins

I don't disagree with your point, Angepain, but I do think it's a bit surface-level.
As a clinician working in healthcare, we often talk about parents going through grief. Yes, there's the pain of a child dying, or losing a pregnancy, but there's also the grief that comes from having a child with a disability. It's the grief that comes from realising that your expectations as a parent for your child aren't going to be met.
Obviously, you've got the physical disabilities like Downs syndrome or cerebral palsy, but it also applies to children who are autistic. And arguably, that can be harder for parents to deal with, since it usually takes a longer time to become really evident. I've worked with children aged 2-11 where within 5 minutes I'm thinking "This child's autistic" but it can take years for parents to understand that their child isn't neurotypical, let alone actually come to terms with it. (For better or worse, all parents have expectations of their children's future. Like with all things, some parents are just better at dealing with this than others.)

So from that point of view, I can see why some parents of autistic young people who are describing as trans can find that very hard to accept. They've maybe spent a decade reconciling their expectations of a child with the reality and now there's another reality they've got to come to terms with.
I'm not saying that's right. In fact, it tells me that GIC probably need to have access to a boatload of counselling for parents in addition to whatever psychological support is there for the young people (on the basis that having supportive parents is itself psychologically supportive for any child). But it is a thing.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

forkboy84 posted:

Far be it for me to give the Guardian the benefit of the doubt but the "not her real name" bit may not be as mean spirited as you seem to think & just providing anonymity to the girl.

Well, ah...

quote:

"Her teenager had said she wanted to become a boy four years ago, had begun to socially transition, and had been on the waiting list for more than a year.

The child, who has an autism diagnosis, is taking testosterone sourced without a GP’s involvement from an unregulated provider on the internet, and her voice has deepened."

like, it's up to that individual kid what prounouns they use but they talked to the angry terf parent instead of the kid so I'm guessing- given they are transitioning and on t- even the false name would be a dead one here

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the rest of the article is poo poo and misgenders all over the place, but "Sarah (not her real name), whose 17-year-old child" is terf mum, not deadname.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah the rest of the article is poo poo and misgenders all over the place, but "Sarah (not her real name), whose 17-year-old child" is terf mum, not deadname.

okay I will be incoherently angry at the other parts