Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I should've known but I was disappointed when I saw Oshry hyping the release on twitter that it ended up being early release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

0/10, no fur. :colbert:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bsIXA8lNZc

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

0/10, no fur. :colbert:

I didn't know they were supposed to be furry until a year or so ago.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I didn't know they were supposed to be furry until a year or so ago.

How else could they build up a static charge?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Hank Morgan posted:

:hmmyes:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Two Owls posted:

Automap gives the game away though: everything is right-angles.

if you have to look at the automap to learn the secret then is it really an issue anyways

also given that everything is pretty industrial and intentionally laid out in a 'realistic' way i can kind of cut some slack on that given that typically a bunch of urban areas aren't going to be laid out haphazardly. it's not doom, with a bunch of abstract geometry.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

hrot is really great. the dev tuned all the guns and enemies just right after the demo

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Hank Morgan posted:

omg

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I knew it would happen but I didn't totally gel with the viewpoints in HL1 and then in HL2 fell off the wagon and quit at ravenholm. Ravenholm will always be an electric moment for me, where I knew immediately a game I had preordered and was deeply looking forward to was going to be a bad game for me.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
So, remember this Quake map? In Arcane Dimensions 1.8?

"Tears of the False God". There were so many releases at the end of last year that it took me until now to commit to playing to it.

Quite a looker. Turns out it plays real nice too! This could easily have been an art showpiece that played like soupy couscous ... but instead it is a bunch of fun and IF you hang in to find all the macguffins necessary to open the door for the "real ending", you get the MOST EPIC sequence you have probably ever played through in a retro FPS.

It's a fairly open map where you can go more or less wherever you want whenever you want, but it has some cool locations to find. And there's one thing you do that changes things up a bit in terms of where you can go. I'm hot-and-cold on maps that do the "find X number of doohickeys" thing, but this one I like.

(Remember if you want to get started playing Quake stuff and aren't sure how, get the package from quakestarter.com.)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I can imagine '96/'97 Quake fan mappers looking at images like that and shedding a single tear. All those curves - it's more like a Quake 3 Arena map than a Quake map.

Granted they probably would also be confused by all the cyan, a color Quake's palette is not big on, so

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Shadow Hog posted:

Granted they probably would also be confused by all the ...color Quake...is not big on, so

Fixed

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
quake has purple, which is a colour, as well as the usual brown, red brown, and green brown.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

quake has purple, which is a colour, as well as the usual brown, red brown, and green brown.

For reference, the actual Quake color palette. But yeah, mostly.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
you're right, it's really more of a purple brown.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/KinoFabino/status/1356345820493316096?s=20

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The recurring Timbler gag absolutely slays me every time.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The recurring Timbler gag absolutely slays me every time.

He DO be looking fresh.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Oh man Nicolas Cage as the sole human character in a Quake movie would be loving amazing. An extended single camera shot sequence with him going axe crazy with quad damage would be one of the greatest movies scenes of all time, I'm imaginine Vampire's Kiss level Cage craziness crossed with the corridor scene from Oldboy

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
HROT was fun for 6 or 7 levels, I forget how far I got, but I feel like I've seen all it's surprises now. It's a little too bland compared to other similar modern throwbacks. I know its on purpose but I'm still a little disappointed.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Hasturtium posted:

For reference, the actual Quake color palette. But yeah, mostly.
I've always been fond of that jade green range myself. Doesn't get a whole lot of use on its own, it's usually used sparingly to make art largely using the olive-green range a bit cooler, or to make grayish stone less monochrome. Still, it's nice! And so is the paler purple range (the first of the inverted, light-to-dark ranges).

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
What really suprises me with the palette is you can do some really cool things within it, but alot of custom content rarely ever deviates into it's brighter, more vibrant colors.
I made a werewolf for a quake mod and so many people reacted weirdly to it just because I found good uses of the red, purple, and yellow ranges.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

your werewolf rules

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Oh nice, what does it do?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Convex posted:

Oh man Nicolas Cage as the sole human character in a Quake movie would be loving amazing. An extended single camera shot sequence with him going axe crazy with quad damage would be one of the greatest movies scenes of all time, I'm imaginine Vampire's Kiss level Cage craziness crossed with the corridor scene from Oldboy

This sounds like Mandy. Or one hell of a sequel, anyway.

Also, that write-up on Bond is crazy good. To anyone who wants to play Nightfire on a pc, I suggest just using the Dolphin (GC) or PCSX2 (PS2) emulators. Console versions are way easier to track down, play fine on pc and are absolutely the way the game was meant to be experienced.

Also, you get to play splitscreen multi-player and stick remote explosives on each other's backs. Especially funny in Capture the Flag, when you wait juuuuuuust long enough for the flagbearer to be surrounded by his overprotective (ai) teammates before pulling the trigger.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Since Vinnie Jones’s Juggernaut looks exactly like the Quake Ranger, I think he could pull it off as well.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Carpator Diei posted:

Oh nice, what does it do?
hupdog

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/dosnostalgic/status/1356693998803550213?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is that a photo of a cardboard cutout of john

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Someone should do the same with the other 2 and put them in wads.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Convex posted:

This is literally the second half of Mandy. Chainsaw duels are involved.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given the upcoming movie about nic cage busting up a bunch of animatronics i think he's definitely working his way into a niche. now i want to see quake ranger cage going apeshit on a shambler timbler.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
More Arcane Dimensions shenanigans.

Imhotep's Legacy (requires AD 1.8).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQoqWJgsCA

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

JLaw posted:

More Arcane Dimensions shenanigans.

Imhotep's Legacy (requires AD 1.8).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQoqWJgsCA

VERY strong Doom 3 Mars temple vibes. Also Ancient Aliens?!?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

JLaw posted:

(Remember if you want to get started playing Quake stuff and aren't sure how, get the package from quakestarter.com.)

Thanks a bunch for this, after getting my rear end kicked for a while in doom on UV, switching to quake is a nice change of pace. I'm so bad at old Id games

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

VERY strong Doom 3 Mars temple vibes. Also Ancient Aliens?!?

Several user made Quake 1 maps have that Egyptian flavor.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 3, 2021

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
The XBLA version of Goldeneye made its way onto the net a few hours ago. It's pretty friggin' amazing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dieting Hippo posted:

The XBLA version of Goldeneye made its way onto the net a few hours ago. It's pretty friggin' amazing.

:wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Turin Turambar posted:

Several user made Quake 1 maps have that Egyptian flavor.

Dissolution of Eternity, the second official expansion pack (the slightly rubbish one with no secret levels, annoying earthquake bits, and "lava nails". Multi-rockets are fun though) also has a few Egypt levels in it.