Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

when people talk about exclusives they mean console exclusives

I guess I'm not people :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

sony release bloodborne on pc you utter cowards

any time some title or series gets unceremoniously buried like that it is usually because some senile 90 year old japanese manager has a pissbitch vendetta against somebody involved in its development

It sold ok for a Sony title and then the Demon's Souls remake was softer than expected, so it isn't as worth it for Sony to pay to do that work or for From Soft to stop rolling in their Elden Ring grace

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Barudak posted:

It sold ok for a Sony title and then the Demon's Souls remake was softer than expected, so it isn't as worth it for Sony to pay to do that work or for From Soft to stop rolling in their Elden Ring grace

Modern consoles use PC hardware. It would be trivial to port these titles to PC. Keeping them exclusive is a decision made purely to bolster the Playstation brand.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Devils Affricate posted:

It would be trivial to port these titles to PC.

My absolute favorite phrase from the entitled gamer.

"It's a port Michael, what could it cost? A weekend and a case of Monster?"

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Devils Affricate posted:

Modern consoles use PC hardware. It would be trivial to port these titles to PC. Keeping them exclusive is a decision made purely to bolster the Playstation brand.

tell us how you know jack poo poo about game programming without telling us you know jack poo poo about game programming.txt

holy poo poo

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

PinheadSlim posted:

My absolute favorite phrase from the entitled gamer.

"It's a port Michael, what could it cost? A weekend and a case of Monster?"

tango alpha delta posted:

tell us how you know jack poo poo about game programming without telling us you know jack poo poo about game programming.txt

holy poo poo

Every recent Fromsoft game, other than the ones Sony directly commissioned, was ported to PC. They use the same game engine, the heavy lifting has already been done. You guys seriously have no idea what you're talking about.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Devils Affricate posted:

Every recent Fromsoft game, other than the ones Sony directly commissioned, was ported to PC. They use the same game engine, the heavy lifting has already been done. You guys seriously have no idea what you're talking about.

you know what, you are totally right. You should start calling dev teams around the world right now and give them the good news.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

you know what, you are totally right. You should start calling dev teams around the world right now and give them the good news.

What's the good news?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Devils Affricate posted:

it's far from trivial, look at how lovely the latest last of us game's pc port was
that said it's still 100x easier than porting a game from like SNES to DOS

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Devils Affricate posted:

What's the good news?

That porting console games to PC is easy.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

What's the good news?

lmao, it should be as trivial for you to infer my meaning as it apparently is for developers to simply click the 'make PS4/PS5/XBone game into PC game' button.

e:Let me help you out here, on a modern console, memory reads and writes happen at the same speed, but on a PC, memory writes take longer than memory reads. So what? Well, you can do some pretty cool tricks on a console when you know the memory timing is going to be exactly the same during draw calls or input scanning or physics updating. This is why some console emulators have taken so long to port to PC, because no PC can guarantee exact low level cycle timing. This barely scratches the surface of serious engine development, but memory timing is very important in console game development.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 6, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

That porting console games to PC is easy.

It is! That's why so many dev teams do it, except for the ones whose hands are tied because of exclusivity deals.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

lmao, it should be as trivial for you to infer my meaning as it apparently is for developers to simply click the 'make PS4/PS5/XBone game into PC game' button.

Unity literally has a button for this lmao

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Devils Affricate posted:

Oh, word?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

No expert, but as I understand it consoles can guarantee shared CPU and GPU access to memory, which opens a bunch of optimization paths not practically possible on PC where memory is a lot more segmented. Access to graphics hardware is also lower level in general, moreso than Vulkan or DX12. Given an engine designed to take explicit advantage of those features, porting them to more generalized APIs without creating bottlenecks is probably challenging.

That said Iron Galaxy clearly sucks rear end at porting games to PC. Nixxes should grow clones of their entire staff instead.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

Oh well then, problem solved. Like I said, you should let everyone know that all the hard work of game development is done! Good job finding that button!

Hey, everybody, we've been totally overthinking this whole game development thing! Hey, you should go into the game development threads and tell them about the button, too!

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 6, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Oh well then, problem solved. Like I said, you should let everyone know that all the hard work of game development is done! Good job finding that button!

Hey, everybody, we've been totally overthinking this whole game development thing! Hey, you should go into the game development threads and tell them about the button, too!

Give me a list of popular games that are only available on one console and haven't been ported to PC, not because of exclusivity deals, but because the developers said gosh darnit we just don't have the resources to port it to PC

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
all of them at this point, sony realized that pc doesn't really matter for exclusivity wars and has been slowly porting over all its big ticket exclusives like horizon zero dawn and uncharted
but they are going slowly and not doing them instantly all at once because yeah it does take effort
MS realized that porting xbox games to windows is good for windows which they also own so they don't GAF either

but even when you can just flip a flag in your build tools and get it to compile and technically-run-without-crashing on a new platform, you still need to do a lot of other poo poo to make it an actual good port.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

Give me a list of popular games that are only available on one console and haven't been ported to PC, not because of exclusivity deals, but because the developers said gosh darnit we just don't have the resources to port it to PC

You have to let people know about the 'make game' button in Unity instead of letting them waste money on some stupid STEM degree! Save us!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

You have to let people know about the 'make game' button in Unity instead of letting them waste money on some stupid STEM degree! Save us!

You can build your project for different platforms in Unity. You're saved! https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/BuildSettings.html

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

all of them at this point, sony realized that pc doesn't really matter for exclusivity wars and has been slowly porting over all its big ticket exclusives like horizon zero dawn and uncharted
but they are going slowly and not doing them instantly all at once because yeah it does take effort
MS realized that porting xbox games to windows is good for windows which they also own so they don't GAF either

but even when you can just flip a flag in your build tools and get it to compile and technically-run-without-crashing on a new platform, you still need to do a lot of other poo poo to make it an actual good port.

Yeah exactly, there's some work involved but it's trivial since everything's more or less running on the same hardware at this point. The thing keeping popular console games off of PC is 100% exclusivity deals, though thankfully those seem to be getting less popular.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

You can build your project for different platforms in Unity. You're saved! https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/BuildSettings.html

Thanks! So this will work flawlessly with The Unreal Engine, The RE Engine and id Tech 7? Cool! What a huge time saver!

e:you remind me of a manager that would call me up with all of his great ideas to improve Sharepoint 365, a platform I built literally hundreds of client sites in. We used to make a game of transferring him from team member to team member because he was so loving exhausting to listen to.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 6, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah exactly, there's some work involved but it's trivial since everything's more or less running on the same hardware at this point. The thing keeping popular console games off of PC is 100% exclusivity deals, though thankfully those seem to be getting less popular.

So, what do you do for a living?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

lol, idea guys don't actually 'do' anything.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Almost every game engine I've ever played with has had some kind of platform conversion button, but every single one of them has always been in a forever beta status with a warning that poo poo will probably be broken.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Dev ops engineer, you?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Thanks! So this will work flawlessly with The Unreal Engine, The RE Engine and id Tech 7? Cool! What a huge time saver!

I don't know, maybe? How many examples do you need?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

Dev ops engineer, you?

oh are we measuring now? lol, before I retired I was one of the systems administrators for the entire build and deployment pipeline for one of the largest ISPs in the country. I used to fix the poo poo that you clowns break.

Before that I was the systems administrator for a company that manufactures parts for nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons. I also worked for the Department of Defense as a civilian contractor providing technical support to active duty combat soldiers.

Game engine development is just a hobby.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 6, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Devils Affricate posted:

Dev ops engineer, you?

In the games industry?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

nerd combat itt

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Caesar Saladin posted:

nerd combat itt

thread is pure nerd spice rn

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I am God's IT guy and the reason math is even comprehensible to computers.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
drat u guys are hard core. im just a neet who makes games because it's the only thing i've ever known. like jetstream sam but replace the line about "bloodshed" in that one song with "final fantasy".

the part about mountains not giving back what they take, however, remains constant

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

nerd combat itt

They asked me, and now they're angry that I answered :shrug:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
But back to the original point, where are all these great games that couldn't make to to the PC just because of technical constraints?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

But back to the original point, where are all these great games that couldn't make to to the PC just because of technical constraints?

Now that you mention it, God of War 3 has been ported to PS4, which means it's closer to being ported to PC.

I still don't like you, though. I have bad memories of fixing Dev Ops Engineering screw ups, though to be fair, I loved working with the Dev Ops Engineers in Triage during Pre-Production and Production roll outs because to work in Triage you have to know your poo poo really well.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Lmao at people in this claiming that technical limitations are stopping games being ported rather than lisences and petty human squabbles over rights

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Lmao at people in this claiming that technical limitations are stopping games being ported rather than lisences and petty human squabbles over rights

If I'm being totally honest instead of contrarian for the sake of an argument, I'd suggest it's probably a little of column a and a little of column b.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Now that you mention it, God of War 3 has been ported to PS4, which means it's closer to being ported to PC.

I still don't like you, though. I have bad memories of fixing Dev Ops Engineering screw ups, though to be fair, I loved working with the Dev Ops Engineers in Triage during Pre-Production and Production roll outs because to work in Triage you have to know your poo poo really well.

Ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
What the gently caress are you arguing about? This is so loving stupid.

Just tell the AI to port the game and it will push the button for you.