Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Diablo 4 appears to be Diablo 3 but strictly worse lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
800 bucks for a 3080 felt like a criminal ripoff at the time but whatever had to use that stimmie on somethin and now I'm glad I did because it seems like building a new PC will be an even more expensive hell for the foreseeable future forever

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I lucked out and got an entire pre-built gaming PC off newegg with a 3070 in it... for the same price as just a 3070. They caught their mistake and the price went up like $900 a week later lmao. I don't need or use this card for anything and pretty much every game I play is a 2d lo-fi roguelike or something but I can't bring myself to get rid of it for the same reason, if I do I don't know if I'll ever be able to replace it

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Let he who has not built a near-to bleeding edge PC and immediately installed Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup cast the first stone

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

yeah I overpaid for a 2060 Super in Dec 2020 because it was the only card I could get in a reasonable timeframe when I had the rest of the computer in transit and it was all stimmy money. I wish I'd been able to get a higher-end 30xx series but I'm perfectly happy with what I got cuz it does everything I want it to. I've been thinking about trying to get a 30xx series but I just don't see a point right now :shrug:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is the energy usage for AI crap atleast less bad than buttcoin poo poo?

like less carbon and make less fin crimes and other really bad crimes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

precision posted:

Diablo 4 appears to be Diablo 3 but strictly worse lol

Continuing a proud legacy for the Diablo franchise, each game in the sequence being a worse imitation of the last. So shall it forever be

I'm looking forward to Torchlight 4 continuing that franchise's own proud tradition of being a sequence of cheaply made photocopies of Diablo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just LOL if you aren't running dual 4090s in SLI with a custom built case with LEDs on the ram and fans to the extent it lights up the room and functions as a portable heater and costs $50 a month in electricity to run.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
and all you do on it is check email and poo poo post on SA

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

is the energy usage for AI crap atleast less bad than buttcoin poo poo?

like less carbon and make less fin crimes and other really bad crimes

Without a doubt, yes. A lot of AI stuff is stupid nonsense but it's at least trying not to be, and some of the time you wind up with a cool AI-generated picture of Mike Pence getting gangbanged by horses dressed as rodeo clowns, whereas the whole point of buttcoins is to burn resources accomplishing nothing. That's not a joke, that's actually how cryptocurrencies work, "reward he who wastes the most" is the design spec.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I got lucky too cuz when I ordered on Newegg they had like 4 Ryzen 7 3700Xs in stock and then they were gone for months afterward, this computer was very much a stimmy impulse FOMO purchase that turned out real well

then I got a switch on the cheap and then my girlfriend won a series S at work, all we're missing is a PS5

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I lucked out and got an entire pre-built gaming PC off newegg with a 3070 in it... for the same price as just a 3070. They caught their mistake and the price went up like $900 a week later lmao. I don't need or use this card for anything and pretty much every game I play is a 2d lo-fi roguelike or something but I can't bring myself to get rid of it for the same reason, if I do I don't know if I'll ever be able to replace it

pick up blender, that's how i justify my mchine. i need these 3d projects i might not even show to anyone to render in highest quality in fastest times

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MrQwerty posted:

then I got a switch on the cheap and then my girlfriend won a series S at work, all we're missing is a PS5

And a Series X

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Series S is the GoBots of video games consoles.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Waltzing Along posted:

The Series S is the GoBots of video games consoles.

it was free and I got a controller out of it :shrug:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Without a doubt, yes. A lot of AI stuff is stupid nonsense but it's at least trying not to be, and some of the time you wind up with a cool AI-generated picture of Mike Pence getting gangbanged by horses dressed as rodeo clowns, whereas the whole point of buttcoins is to burn resources accomplishing nothing. That's not a joke, that's actually how cryptocurrencies work, "reward he who wastes the most" is the design spec.

There's a whole lot of "energy use" associated with AI (https://www.numenta.com/blog/2022/05/24/ai-is-harming-our-planet/) but what the headlines all fail to convey is that the energy use primarily comes from the initial training of a model - training a single large AI model has about the same carbon emissions as five cars throughout their lifetimes, but that trained model can then go on to be used millions upon millions of times with only the "normal" energy use that something like playing a videogame on Ultra settings for 5 minutes would have. Whereas yeah, the whole point of bitcoin was "waste energy 24/7 to prove you're dedicated to the cause"

It could still be negatively impactful if consumers ever start training their own models on massive datasets, but it's more likely that consumers will be training small purpose-built models that supplement the existing large models rather than training their own large models, because even gathering the data for the large model in the first place is an extraordinary undertaking. Who knows what kind of energy use small models have at that scale but :shrug:

e: Fun fact though: The same AI that uses that energy to train is great at cutting down our overall energy consumption :eng101:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 6, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

QuarkJets posted:

Continuing a proud legacy for the Diablo franchise, each game in the sequence being a worse imitation of the last. So shall it forever be

I'm looking forward to Torchlight 4 continuing that franchise's own proud tradition of being a sequence of cheaply made photocopies of Diablo

Diablo 1 > Diablo 3 > Diablo 2

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Everybody stop saying stimmy

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I liked GoBots :saddowns:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-nMGtaAoXw

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Some people think it's better to research combat shields first but when it comes to starcraft 2 marines you've got to prioritize stimmy research

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

daddy's stimmies

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Why, did little stimmy fall in the well?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

precision posted:

Diablo 1 > Diablo 3 > Diablo 2

No, Diablo 1 loving sucks. Diablo 3 is the best Diablo, and Diablo 2 reeeeally loving sucks

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'd rather get a canker sore than play Diablo 3

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QuarkJets posted:

I'd rather get a canker sore than play Diablo 3

Have you played it on console?

Have you played it on console on drugs?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jokes posted:

That doesn't count, I've heard the console version gives everyone a dodge button, that sounds awesome and would be a big improvement. I'm talking about OG Diablo 3

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

jokes posted:

post-RoS D3 on console is real fun, and it's got something for everyone

my girlfriend got way into dolling up her sorc while I nerd talked about builds for what we were about to go do, and everyone had a great time

I hated D3 until I bought it on Switch tbh, and I bought it the day it came out. RMAH left a legit bad taste for a real long time.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Stimpak is a weird rear end video game non-word when you think about it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I absolutely would not ever recommend playing PC Diablo 3 now but especially not when it first came out. Diablo 3 today, though? With a controller? Hubba hubba.

I play the Switch version on my Deck a lot!! It's really good! 60FPS, controller support, etc.!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

jokes posted:

No, Diablo 1 loving sucks. Diablo 3 is the best Diablo, and Diablo 2 reeeeally loving sucks

Diablo was the only one that was a real videogame, the others are some weird PSYOPs to prove they can make some people actively crave any arbitrary task, like clicking a mouse button endlessly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

Some people think it's better to research combat shields first but when it comes to starcraft 2 marines you've got to prioritize stimmy research

imo if ur going to commit to bio u should have enough rax to have both going at once anyway

unless you're fighting protoss. then i'd rather have marauder slow over shields

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dynasty Warriors is the best ARPG series

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

jokes posted:

I play the Switch version on my Deck a lot!! It's really good! 60FPS, controller support, etc.!

Nintendo up to like 480p now?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm judging Diablo by how good it was at the time. Diablo at the time owned hard

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

QuarkJets posted:

That doesn't count, I've heard the console version gives everyone a dodge button, that sounds awesome and would be a big improvement. I'm talking about OG Diablo 3

it's not even a dodge button, you have a roll stick

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I actually kind of enjoyed Diablo IV during the last open beta weekend, but that was probably just because I chose Necromancer and the game immediately lets you have a small army of skeletons. The other classes looked pretty boring.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Devils Affricate posted:

I actually kind of enjoyed Diablo IV during the last open beta weekend, but that was probably just because I chose Necromancer and the game immediately lets you have a small army of skeletons. The other classes looked pretty boring.

lmao they're going to have to rebalance the game around having a roll stick a year or two in

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

lmao they're going to have to rebalance the game around having a roll stick a year or two in

You get a dodge now, but it's on like a 10s cooldown lol. The people coming from D3 console must find it agonizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Devils Affricate posted:

You get a dodge now, but it's on like a 10s cooldown lol. The people coming from D3 console must find it agonizing.

I've played it plenty.