Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

If a cannonball was fired at me, and I had perfect aim, and could strike it anywhere I want, would I be able to put counterspin on it with a gun by firing at it, or change it's trajectory with a small caliber bullet.
Yes, but not enough to make any difference. A small cannonball is ~5kg, a typical bullet is ~10g, and they travel at similar speeds. So a ~500x difference in momentum. Unless we're talking about a super duper long flight time for the cannonball, wouldn't be meaningful.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-05878-z is the same idea with spaceship vs asteroid; it works, but need huge amounts of time and distance for it to add up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A long time ago there was a like 1 minute long conspiracy video called Ground Rainbows where some lady was filming a rainbow in a sprinkler and ranting about how this never used to happen and what are they putting in the water. I can't find it now, anyone know it?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

alnilam posted:

A long time ago there was a like 1 minute long conspiracy video called Ground Rainbows where some lady was filming a rainbow in a sprinkler and ranting about how this never used to happen and what are they putting in the water. I can't find it now, anyone know it?

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIYZvr3ueGw

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yes! Thank you

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

alnilam posted:

Yes! Thank you

WATER CAN'T DIFFRACT LIGHT

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

is it legal to name all your kids the same thing?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Killingyouguy! posted:

Legal where? Do you live in one of those countries where there's only like six names that everyone uses?

I expect that in the US it's gonna depend heavily on how opinionated the clerk is that processes the birth certificates.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

George Foreman (of boxing and grill fame) named all 5 of his sons George and 2 (of 7) of his daughters Georgetta. So it's legal somewhere at least.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Killingyouguy! posted:

It's not illegal (in the US), but it is kind of stupid and makes you a bit of an rear end in a top hat, in the whole "Your kids are going to have to sort through this until they can change their names/die"

Bureaucracy becomes a goddamn quagmire. Doctors, DMV, taxes and banking would all likely get confused about who is doing what, and frankly those systems are tough enough to navigate if you are easy to separate from other people. And god forbid someone wants to lie about their identity or impersonate the other person. That would be a nightmare.

At least if you are going to go down that path, put a Jr or something at the end. Give the kids a fighting chance.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

It's not illegal (in the US), but it is kind of stupid and makes you a bit of an rear end in a top hat, in the whole "Your kids are going to have to sort through this until they can change their names/die"

Bureaucracy becomes a goddamn quagmire. Doctors, DMV, taxes and banking would all likely get confused about who is doing what, and frankly those systems are tough enough to navigate if you are easy to separate from other people. And god forbid someone wants to lie about their identity or impersonate the other person. That would be a nightmare.

At least if you are going to go down that path, put a Jr or something at the end. Give the kids a fighting chance.

Even being "Bill Smithington Jr." can cause so many record keeping gently caress-ups at banks and doctors that my family yells at anyone who tries to name their kids like that. We've learned the hard way.

The folks who name their kids Drop Kick Dirt Bike were smarter than we gave them credit for.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My parents and I shared an Amazon Prime subscription for awhile, then we split and got our own. I don't remember why, but it had something to do with one of the benefits; I've been Googling things that aren't shared across a shared account, and I don't see any red flags. This was like six or seven years ago, so I'm guessing either something changed, or I'm just not thinking of the thing we couldn't share; are there any real "you wouldn't want to share that with your parents" things on a shared Amazon Prime account?

They don't have a credit card, and I don't use much other than the free shipping, the video streaming, the credit card, and the one book a month.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

My mom is on my Prime sub and she always uses the free trial for whatever add-on channel has a show she wants to watch that month, so if I wanted to later I'd be out of luck. That's pretty minor though. Does Amazon let you ship to two different addresses with it? Maybe that was the issue?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Does anyone recognize these collapsible milk crates and have any idea where to get them

Grocery stores use them for produce. If you know anyone that works at a grocery store, you could probably bribe them to steal a few for you. You could also cruise around the back side of the local Walmart type stores, they might put them out behind the store by the loading dock wrapped up in plastic on pallets. If you spot a pallet like that, you could sneak up and steal some. Bring a small knife to cut the plastic, and don’t park in range of the cameras on the building. Some stores have a big cage in the back lot to prevent this kind of theft, they stash those pallets of crates behind a gate.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

CzarChasm posted:

Kinda to follow up on this -

1) What happens/what does this look like realistically if I were to name my two identical twin kids the same name?

2) Are there any interesting cases of this?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I think the law has been loosened now but used to be that you could only use names that existed in the official register in Iceland. Had to make a petition for an exception if you wanted a name that wasn’t traditionally Icelandic.

So the answer is no, but you can name them all Sigurd.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Trapick posted:

My mom is on my Prime sub and she always uses the free trial for whatever add-on channel has a show she wants to watch that month, so if I wanted to later I'd be out of luck. That's pretty minor though. Does Amazon let you ship to two different addresses with it? Maybe that was the issue?
As far as I can tell, yes.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What's being built here? https://imgur.com/a/XPvihlY

I'm assuming it's an entry way into an underground parking lot. Does this look like something that will turn out to be a fairly tall structure / building?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Is there a way to work out what power an infrared/ halogen/ ceramic heat bulb needs to be to heat a smallish surface to 21-25°c?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

tight aspirations posted:

Is there a way to work out what power an infrared/ halogen/ ceramic heat bulb needs to be to heat a smallish surface to 21-25°c?

There's a complex formula for it, but most good companies do the work for you and provide a wattage/distance chart

Infrared runs hotter than ceramic, for your purposes you're gonna want a 60W ceramic bulb six inches away from the spot to be heated, a 50W infrared at the same distance will be about 3 degrees hotter than your range asks for

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I dunno where to post this but I need help finding two vids:

First video is an old PSA against quebec independence where a teacher is trying to answer students questions by singing about the referendum. A kid asks what will happen to the military, he says they'll split it; they will give you the hand grenade and keep the key. Wish I could find this video but with all my searching I have never been able to!

unrelated video: A jehova witness music video about someone dying or an apocalypse happening, it starts off really dark, then it gets very cheerful with a chorus of something like "we're in HEAVEN!"
sorry I can't remember much more about this one

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Kinda to follow up on this -

1) What happens/what does this look like realistically if I were to name my two identical twin kids the same name?

2) Are there any interesting cases of this?

You'd probably get a lot of advice from the nurse/doctor taking down the names of the kids on why that's a bad idea from a practical standpoint. Then, I have to imagine that you'll get some dirty looks from them as you refuse to back down and listen to reason. Then, I imagine that since you are dealing with twins, there might be a chance that getting them social security numbers would be another hurdle, since that process usually starts with the birth certificate. So now you are submitting identical paperwork for two individuals to try and obtain two separate numbers. But the kid name, parent name, birthdate, hospital, attending doctor - it's all the same. My first though in that scenario would be that whoever submitted accidentally sent in the same work twice, and I would only process one application, starting off another series of headaches.

I doubt there are any interesting stories about this. Just cases where the line is probably "I wish my parents put in the absolute minimum about caring about me"

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

postmodifier posted:

There's a complex formula for it, but most good companies do the work for you and provide a wattage/distance chart

Infrared runs hotter than ceramic, for your purposes you're gonna want a 60W ceramic bulb six inches away from the spot to be heated, a 50W infrared at the same distance will be about 3 degrees hotter than your range asks for

Just what I wanted, thanks! For pure heating purposes, I've heard infrared is more energy efficient than halogen/ ceramic, is that true?

E: Also, I assume that the wattage won't affect efficiency either; so a lower wattage bulb (or vice versa) won't be more efficient than a higher power one?

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 20, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

For name chat, look up Frank Zappa's kids, they have ridiculous names, but one of them was refused at the hospital because it was ridiculous. For some reason it wasn't Moon Unit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

tight aspirations posted:

Just what I wanted, thanks! For pure heating purposes, I've heard infrared is more energy efficient than halogen/ ceramic, is that true?

E: Also, I assume that the wattage won't affect efficiency either; so a lower wattage bulb (or vice versa) won't be more efficient than a higher power one?

Your efficiency is going to be governed by the absorptive properties of the material that's receiving light (infrared or visible) from the bulb. Everything that gets reflected and eventually leaves the system is wasted. So if you're shining a visible-light-only bulb on a perfectly black surface, for example, then your efficiency will be 100%. But that "perfectly black" surface might actually reflect infrared, causing an IR bulb to be less efficient. Hence: it depends.

Wattage just determines the intensity of the light emitted by the bulb. Some fraction of the electricity you put into the bulb will be lost as waste heat, but that's not really a big deal for this use case, since heat is your goal anyway.

Busy Bee posted:

What's being built here? https://imgur.com/a/XPvihlY

I'm assuming it's an entry way into an underground parking lot. Does this look like something that will turn out to be a fairly tall structure / building?

That does look like a drivable entrance into an underground structure of some kind, yeah. I'm not at all an expert on large construction projects like this, but it feels a bit weird to me that they'd be building that ramp before making the foundation for whatever's going to go above it. That is, if they were planning on building a multi-level underground lot in that block, then they wouldn't start at street level and build their way down; they'd dig all the way down to the bottom and then build their way up. I think what's going on here is actually that this ramp is accessing an already-built underground structure nearby (e.g. underneath the 7-8 story structure on the right-hand side of the second photo). As for what's going to go on top of the ramp, I couldn't tell you.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I dunno where to post this but I need help finding two vids:

First video is an old PSA against quebec independence where a teacher is trying to answer students questions by singing about the referendum. A kid asks what will happen to the military, he says they'll split it; they will give you the hand grenade and keep the key. Wish I could find this video but with all my searching I have never been able to!

unrelated video: A jehova witness music video about someone dying or an apocalypse happening, it starts off really dark, then it gets very cheerful with a chorus of something like "we're in HEAVEN!"
sorry I can't remember much more about this one

The internet necromancy thread in GBS seems like a good place for this.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What does the Howard the Duck tagline "Trapped in a world he never made!" mean. Never made what? Is this some turn of phrase I'm not familiar with or is it something you'd have to read Howard the Duck comics to get?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

The Moon Monster posted:

What does the Howard the Duck tagline "Trapped in a world he never made!" mean. Never made what? Is this some turn of phrase I'm not familiar with or is it something you'd have to read Howard the Duck comics to get?

I don't know anything about Howard the Duck but I typed why does howard the duck say trapped in a world heneber made [sic] into Google and got this CBR article which says Howard the Duck came from another universe (where everyone is a duck?) and the tagline is a reference to the A.E. Housman poem, "The Laws of God, the Laws of Man".

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Working this night security job at a condo (that I'm already quitting, yay!) has me very curious about some of the equipment in these buildings that you'd never see if you weren't a technician or security guard on patrol.

- There's a huge Mitsubishi V12 engine on the top floor, near the electrical rooms. It's not on. Is this some kind of backup generator, maybe for the elevators?
- I noticed a box on the ground in the room where I assume water is heated and distributed. It was labelled "harmonic filter." What the hell is this?
- Why is there a diesel fuel tank on the same basement floor as the water stuff, I assume this is also for some kind of backup pump engine?

It's also pretty nuts to think that all of this heavy-rear end poo poo on the top floors gets brought up by crane. I've never really sat around and watched a construction site for hours on end so I've never seen them take up equipment like this, only loads of concrete for pouring walls. Speaking of which, how long does modern concrete like that take to cure? I mean, how fast can construction crews pour and set an entire floor, and is it limited at all by the curing speed of the concrete? Do they have to wait around before it's safe to move up a floor?

And lastly, what about demolition? I'm assuming a lot of the heavy machinery like elevator motors and that huge Mitsi engine has got to come down before they implode the building.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I just got my first pair of glasses a few days ago, and I'm having some trouble adapting to them. I'm hoping some of you veteran glasses-wearers can tell me if this is something I should take back to the optometrist, or if there's anything I can do about it myself, or if this is just the way things are with glasses and I should suck it up and get used to it.

So the glasses do bring my straight-ahead vision back to razor sharpness, which is awesome. But in every other respect, they're awful for my vision. For one, the distortions around the edge are killing me -- it is distinctly unpleasant to look in several directions quickly and watch the world swim around like a funhouse mirror. Second, depth is just plain weird -- the world, while perfectly sharp, looks a little like a VR headset that isn't dialed in quite right, or like a 3D movie that's trying too hard. (Also, things on my left look just a tiny bit further away. For example, flat ground appears to slope just a little bit downhill on that side.) This all adds up to a subtle feeling of unreality and almost a "tunnel vision" effect. I actually feel safer driving without the glasses -- yes, I'm back to "standard-def video", but I have a huge uninterrupted visual stage with nice Euclidian geometry and peripheral vision that I can trust. My situational awareness is thus much better, even though I can't read a license plate from quite as far away.

I think all this might be a result of having a very different prescription for each eye -- one just has astigmatism and a perfect zero for near/farsightedness, while the other eye has a much smaller astigmatism correction and a bit of nearsightedness. So I'm guessing that although each lens has only a small amount of distortion around the edges, they distort differently, which makes for a particularly dizzying combo. (If I close one eye, looking around with the other one is much less unpleasant than looking around with both eyes open.) Does that make sense?

So, is there anything I can do that would improve this? Frames with bigger lenses? Contacts? Deliberately reducing the astigmatism correction on the one lens to match the other? (That one's my non-dominant eye anyway, and I'd happily sacrifice a bit of acuity on it in exchange for not wanting to barf every time I move my head.)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I just got my first pair of glasses a few days ago, and I'm having some trouble adapting to them. I'm hoping some of you veteran glasses-wearers can tell me if this is something I should take back to the optometrist, or if there's anything I can do about it myself, or if this is just the way things are with glasses and I should suck it up and get used to it.

So the glasses do bring my straight-ahead vision back to razor sharpness, which is awesome. But in every other respect, they're awful for my vision. For one, the distortions around the edge are killing me -- it is distinctly unpleasant to look in several directions quickly and watch the world swim around like a funhouse mirror. Second, depth is just plain weird -- the world, while perfectly sharp, looks a little like a VR headset that isn't dialed in quite right, or like a 3D movie that's trying too hard. (Also, things on my left look just a tiny bit further away. For example, flat ground appears to slope just a little bit downhill on that side.) This all adds up to a subtle feeling of unreality and almost a "tunnel vision" effect. I actually feel safer driving without the glasses -- yes, I'm back to "standard-def video", but I have a huge uninterrupted visual stage with nice Euclidian geometry and peripheral vision that I can trust. My situational awareness is thus much better, even though I can't read a license plate from quite as far away.

I think all this might be a result of having a very different prescription for each eye -- one just has astigmatism and a perfect zero for near/farsightedness, while the other eye has a much smaller astigmatism correction and a bit of nearsightedness. So I'm guessing that although each lens has only a small amount of distortion around the edges, they distort differently, which makes for a particularly dizzying combo. (If I close one eye, looking around with the other one is much less unpleasant than looking around with both eyes open.) Does that make sense?

So, is there anything I can do that would improve this? Frames with bigger lenses? Contacts? Deliberately reducing the astigmatism correction on the one lens to match the other? (That one's my non-dominant eye anyway, and I'd happily sacrifice a bit of acuity on it in exchange for not wanting to barf every time I move my head.)

How long have you tried wearing them consistently? It's normal for your brain to have an adjustment period of a week or so.

Geometric aberration at the edges is def a thing, a big thing for stronger prescriptions like mine (-8.5) and it drives me crazy which is why i wear contacts, they don't do that as much. It can be mitigated somewhat with high-index lens material but it's still not perfect.

Rx could also be a tiny bit too strong, you could see what a smidge less power does maybe

But if your Rx is pretty mild, there's a good chance your brain just needs a little time to adjust

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powered Descent posted:

I just got my first pair of glasses a few days ago, and I'm having some trouble adapting to them.

I've been wearing glasses for about 50 years and have encountered all those things. You will get used to it after a couple of weeks. I used to wear large glasses, but was told that smaller lenses are actually better, so all of the glasses I've had in the past 25 years or so have been much smaller.

I tried contacts, but they were more trouble than they were worth. YMMV.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 22, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I wear huge glasses that are just slightly larger than my field of view, they're shaped like octagons sorta.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It takes a bit to adapt. Remember that what you "see" is a combination of the signals coming in from your eyes, and the interpretation done on those signals by your brain. You've changed the first part by adding glasses, but the second part takes a bit to get up to speed. It'll happen.

If you're like me, you had a bad habit of squinting all the time to try to correct your vision slightly. That included during my first eye exam, which meant that my first prescription wasn't quite as strong as it should have been. I'd recommend getting a repeat exam in six months or a year and seeing if things have changed any.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

BonHair posted:

For name chat, look up Frank Zappa's kids, they have ridiculous names, but one of them was refused at the hospital because it was ridiculous. For some reason it wasn't Moon Unit.

Probably because her given name is just "Moon". "Unit" is her middle name. To me "Dweezil" does register as weirder than "Moon".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I had the geometrical distortion with my first prescription. I went back and got another test, and the glasses from that prescription are fine. I did lose the astigmatism correction, but it was worth it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Some friends of mine went to a Monster Truck Rally today and it got me thinking: someone told me once that the trucks are 'remote controlled,' or maybe at least that there's a ground crew member with a remote killswitch in case the truck takes a walk somewhere it shouldn't.

Even the former makes sense though, with some of the acrobatics that these trucks perform it seems weird to me that a single driver inside that cramped cockpit has the spatial awareness to pull off backflips and 'handstands' and things like that. Stunting is hard enough on a motorcycle, where you have all the spatial awareness in the world.

Is there any truth to that? I can't seem to find anything to support it.

BennyProfane
Apr 19, 2023

by vyelkin
It's way harder to build a good remote control for a giant truck than it would be to train a guy to do trick with one. People have been doing monster truck rallies since long before smartphones existed, much less the kind of computers you'd need to be able to drive properly.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You couldn't do that with a traditional RC remote with a couple of extra switches for the rear steering? I'm sure you're probably right but it does seem strange still, especially the 'handstand' moves they do. Like any motorsport I guess it's just tons of practice. Thanks!

BennyProfane
Apr 19, 2023

by vyelkin
Trying to rig up a mechanical set that responds quickly enough to respond to a tiny RC controller like that, or even an extra large one, would be a doomed endeavor for quite a few reasons. There's no way it'd be reliable and fast enough, and the mechanics of operating a gasoline engine remotely really don't allow for a computer chip to be doing the job.

You might be able to do it nowadays with electric vehicles becoming a thing, if the batteries aren't too heavy, but I don't think electric vehicles really fit the point of a monster truck rally with loud engine noise and smoke or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I wore glasses for 20 years, more appropriately put, I would buy them, fall asleep with them on, crush them, bend them back, watch them fall off my face whenever I did anything other than sit still, then watch in full glorious blur as either I or someone else immediately stepped on them.

All of the things you mentioned are true, especially the crappy vr part and the blurring at the edges, so someone recommended contacts.

I tried contacts for a while but poking yourself in they eye with a finger several times a day seems like a counterintuitive way of making your vision better.

Lazors best.

My vision has been perfect, better than perfect ever since. 20/18.