Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

homerlaw posted:

Since my computer can't run BLOPS in any playable fashion, I'm going to start playing Freespace 2, of which I'm fairly sure should run.

Get yourself over here and grab the upgraded FS2Open engine (and, if your computer can handle it, the various graphical upgrade packs).

Apart from that there's not really a lot you need to know before playing it. The game explains itself pretty well. Here's what I can come up with:
- Keyboard/mouse, joystick, and gamepad all work fine for playing it
- Your wingmates are nameless, useless, and soon to be dead. Don't get broken up about it if they die (if you even notice; the game won't); Wing Commander this ain't.
- The plot doesn't really branch, but depending on how well you do you might unlock optional assignments. They're generally worth taking.

Also, if you haven't already, Freespace 1 is also worth playing (and works in FS2Open).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Astfgl posted:

Pressing down on one of your joysticks will highlight nearby blast shards on your map. The more you get, the more reserves of power you have. They're really worth tracking down whenever possible.

I spent about, oh, four hours or so thinking those blue dots were police showing up on my radar. I mean, a circle is pretty much the standard for representing a human on radar, and blue is pretty much standard for cops/good guys. I kept wondering why they never came to help me bust some enemies or something, even after I had them restrained. It made sense to me. :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Regarding inFamous you get so many story related chances to be good/evil that you never have to worry about killing civilians. I maxed out good somewhere around fighting the robot guy (I think this is when the game finally unlocks the cap) and I blew up every car or zapped every idiot that got in my way. Periodically a mission will give you the choice to select a good/evil action and you get so many points as a result that you can commit genocide while everyone praises your name on the streets.

Being evil also makes people throw rocks at you. If I remember right they can stun or completely knock you out of climbing which gets annoying.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Just picked up Sword of the Stars Complete Edition, going to install it once my new computer arrives. Anything I should know? What race is the best for beginners?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Sam. posted:

Just picked up Sword of the Stars Complete Edition, going to install it once my new computer arrives. Anything I should know? What race is the best for beginners?

I would think Tarka would suit beginners. They have a straightforward travel mechanic and should allow you to get your bearings before deciding if you prefer one of the other races more.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Sam. posted:

Go to the thread, read as much as you can, seriously. The game has a stiff learning curve, and even the diagrams along side each technology don't really help sometimes (Green Lasers and Purple Lasers are two different techs, and you have to research Green to get Purple, but according to the graphs they have the same stats). You're going to want to ask questions as you go along in each game, and it's always entertaining hearing stories about the first time someone encounters Locusts.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Picked up Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. What the gently caress do I need to know?!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

midge posted:

Picked up Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. What the gently caress do I need to know?!

Don't worry about anything, just keep blowing up stuff really.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
After loving the hell out of Two Worlds I just got the second one, is there anything in particular I should know, coming from the first game? is magic actually viable as anything other then crowd control? Are traps still hilariously overpowered?

My strategy in the first game for monsters that I should not be fighting started out as "lay five traps in one spot, wail on the enemy while they can't do anything". I'm going to try going with a pure magic build this time if I can.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Dr Snofeld posted:

The Saboteur?

- Like Palleon said, the two perks you should buy are the silver and gold "Mechanics" perks. Some of the vehicles you have to collect for these are very difficult to find, and then a pain to get back to your garage
- The most useful perks to try for early on are "Brawling" II and "Evasion" I and II. Others will come naturally over time or can be saved for later.
- Specifically, I grinded for some of the perks that unlock weapons early on, and I think it was a bad choice because I skipped over some of the intermediate weapons that you unlock via story mission progress.
- The only missable perk is "Brawling" III, but you'd literally have to go freeplay crazy to deny yourself this perk. If you don't have it by the time you unlock Paris Area 3, then it might be time to start working on it before you kill the game's remaining generals.
- You can pass through "yellow" checkpoints (marked on your map with a yellow warning sign) any time. Just take it slow. It's easier to pass through checkpoints if you're not disguised. The one you pass through early in the game while hauling a car may be bugged, though.
- The "Demolitions" III perk is bugged. Once you earn it, you'll only have access to the Super RDX until you reload the game (whether because of mission failure or turning off the console. Not sure if you lose it if you die but don't reload).
- Propaganda speakers can be destroyed with gunfire. You don't have to waste dynamite or RDX!
- There are two cars with built-in machine guns that are not visible from the outside. You don't count as "armed" for alert purposes when driving these cars (but then the guns aren't super-effective either)
- If you sprint before jumping you can jump really far (say, from one building to another, sometimes)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Razor Jacksuit posted:

- The "Demolitions" III perk is bugged. Once you earn it, you'll only have access to the Super RDX until you reload the game (whether because of mission failure or turning off the console. Not sure if you lose it if you die but don't reload).

Huh. I did wonder why I never saw any difference between regular and Super RDX.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Quoting myself from the gog.com thread about Ultima Underworld 1

quote:

A couple of tips for Underworld 1.

* Although you may be tempted to control the game exclusively with your mouse. I find that using keyboard only controls the game better especially in combat. Use your left hand to control movement around wasd and attacking using p, ; and /.
* Keep a eye out for Mantras written on walls and scrolls. They are used at shrines to improve your stats. Each level has at least one shrine.
* You can write notes on your map. Take note of anything and anyone that you come across as you may need to return later.
* As mentioned earlier for fighter classes you need to maximise strength as there is no in game way of improving it.
* I'd recommend using swords as your primary weapon. One of the best swords in the game is required to complete the game.
* Don't hurry down the stairs too quickly. Spend the time exploring levels and improving your abilities.
* On the first level of the abyss go straight ahead and take the first door to the right. Immediately to your right there is a door which is unlocked by a key which is found in a nearby backback you'll come across on the route towards Bragit the outcast. Behind that is the silver seed. Take it and plant it anywhere there is dirt. Any time you die you will be resurrected at the tree.
* Take note of any visions you receive. Especially ones from crystal balls. You'll know why when it happens.
* There are a couple of fountains on the first two levels that can heal you up. Find them and take note on your map.
* Carry a long pole with you at all times as it can be used to activate switches that are out of your reach. If you have a spare pole combine it with thread to make a fishing rod.
* Try and find the ring of levitation and the dragon scale boots.
* Late on in the game you will be asked to find a corpse. The corpse in question is tucked away on level 8. It will be the set of bones that don't stack.
* There are a few items you will need that may not seem obvious a first. Such as A crown, a bottle of port, a flute, thread, a recipe and it's ingredients, incense(you'll need to light up). Anything with a special sounding name(obviously).
* End game spoiler. Just run and don't turn back. A path back to Britannia is before you.
* Deco Morono.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 5, 2011

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Sam. posted:

Personally I've always gone with humans, but Tarka are another good option, their ships are very straightforward. Avoid Zuul and Hivers until you get the game down a bit.

Map makes a big difference in how the game goes down. 2-D might not be a bad idea but it tends to make it harder to play the other maps, personally I'd recommend the disc type for your first few maps. Also, the map is 3-D (even the 2D map just makes it so the stars are on the same plane) so take it and spin it around every now and then to get a feel for it.

The tech tree is semi-randomized, with certain races more likely to get certain techs than others just as a heads up

Thatsaporpoise
Dec 5, 2009
Hi, sorry if there is advice about this in the 130 or so pages i didn't read but i'm about to start pathologic. I speak broken english pretty well so i'm not concerned about the translation, but i heard that it can be pretty convoluted and i'm concerned about the time limit.
Thanks

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Starting Far Cry 2. Having never played Far Cry or Crysis, is there anything I need to know?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Starting Far Cry 2. Having never played Far Cry or Crysis, is there anything I need to know?

- There's no mods. Don't look for them.
- Play in short bursts. You can only murder so many checkpoints in a session before it starts getting old.
- The stealth suit is very situational, it's either costly or not worth it at all depending on your playstyle.
- Handle the gun runner missions first. You get a much better selection of toys that way.
- In tune with real life, the AK is monstrously durable. Learn how to shoot with it.
- The dart rifle is silent AND deadly.
- If you're meeting a buddy in a safehouse during a mission detour, look around the shack before you leave. He could've brought an uncommon weapon like an AR-16 or a grenade launcher for you.
- On foot? Being chased by a truck? Put a tree between the two of you.
- The service manuals aren't necessary - you should never be in a hurry to fix your car.
- Flamethrowers are fun. M79s are fun. Flare guns are fun. gently caress around to your heart's content.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I dunno if this is just a problem with my setup (i'm playing on the 360 with headphones) but I've found that I simply cannot hear anything that's going on behind me, including the sound of enemy jeeps driving up behind me, which is unfortunate, because you will die instantly if you get hit by a jeep. So I've found that it's helpful to be paranoid and always check behind me occasionally, especially if I've recently gone through an enemy checkpoint, because vehicles love to follow you when you do that.

Seconding the tip about playing in short bursts - the game is kind of like the first Assassin's Creed in that it's cool, but super repetitive - you basically just do the same thing over and over again.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Anything for Alan Wake?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Generally in Far Cry 2 you want a long range and a short range weapon. And you have three slots. Heavy, primary and secondary. So you will probably end up with the sniper rifle as the primary weapon. Early in the game I would suggest going with an uzi for your short range weapon. That's the secondary weapon slot. Later in the game the second heavy machine gun you get is pretty good. And that's the heavy weapon slot. You can just go plain assault for all the missions but having a long range weapon will make things a lot easier.

If you are playing the pc version you can quicksave. I think in the console versions you have to be in a safehouse. Anyway the game doesn't inform you of this so look up the appropriate key.

Also when you end up going through a checkpoint your car will probably get shot up. You are often best off killing everyone at the checkpoint and taking a fresh car rather than trying to rush through and hoping to not get shot. Checkpoints are probably the worst thing about fary cry 2

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

councilman posted:

Hi, sorry if there is advice about this in the 130 or so pages i didn't read but i'm about to start pathologic. I speak broken english pretty well so i'm not concerned about the translation, but i heard that it can be pretty convoluted and i'm concerned about the time limit.
Thanks

I was going to point out the wiki, but then it turns out that it had one hint and a link to a screenshot LP that hosted it's images on waffleimages, so you can just read this and save some time

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Pathologic posted:

You have to complete the main task for each day. If you don't, you won't be able to complete the game, although you won't find out until the end that you screwed yourself. Completing the main tasks is pretty obvious, though--I wouldn't proceed anyway if I failed one.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Dragon Age 2
Yes, mages are overpowered. But, if you go on normal difficulty, a duel-wielding Rogue focused in Shadow (Inconspicuous is amazing) and Assassin, with full dex/cunning, makes a fantastically fun glass cannon. By the end of the game, you'll be constantly backstabbing, ripping people apart, then disappearing in a puff of smoke. Duel-wielding rogues got a HUGE upgrade.

If you want the ambrosia crafting ingredient, you must have a romance and/or high friendship and/or high rivalry with Isabela by the end of Act 2. You'll know at the very, very end of act 2. Else, you're locked out of the Act 3 quest where the ambrosia is.

If you're borrowing it, and aren't borrowing the actual console as well, you won't have access to the Black Emporium, a high level shop, nor the mubari summon. It's not the biggest deal, but the emporium is the only way to get respecs.

The game feels small, and you won't be saving the world (the reused maps don't help). But, if you think of it less as an Epic Quest and more "A group of chill people constantly getting into trouble," it's actually a lot of fun.

Fable 3

Going past 121 days left is the point of no return. Make sure you're done before moving onward.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 6, 2011

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Heliotrope posted:

Anything for Alan Wake?

-Don't be afraid to throw down flares. I've found on normal, at least, the game gives you enough of them. use them whenever you feel you need a breather.
-On the Other hand, flash-bangs are worth saving, and flareguns are good for dealing with the bird flocks, i've found.
-Take your time and explore, there's a lot to find, some of it quite off the beaten path.
-Look out for splashes of what looks like glowing yellow paint with your flashlight, it means there's a supply box nearby

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Goofballs posted:

Also when you end up going through a checkpoint your car will probably get shot up. You are often best off killing everyone at the checkpoint and taking a fresh car rather than trying to rush through and hoping to not get shot. Checkpoints are probably the worst thing about fary cry 2

I've found that the quickest way to deal with checkpoints (assuming there's no easy way around them off-road) is to just drive through with a turret jeep as quickly as possible, get some distance, and then man the gun and kill any vehicles that followed you. Repair your jeep (or take an enemy one, if they're in better shape) and move on.

Not fun exactly, but faster than actually trying to fight in the checkpoint.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Goofballs posted:

Generally in Far Cry 2 you want a long range and a short range weapon. And you have three slots. Heavy, primary and secondary. So you will probably end up with the sniper rifle as the primary weapon. Early in the game I would suggest going with an uzi for your short range weapon. That's the secondary weapon slot. Later in the game the second heavy machine gun you get is pretty good. And that's the heavy weapon slot. You can just go plain assault for all the missions but having a long range weapon will make things a lot easier.

If you are playing the pc version you can quicksave. I think in the console versions you have to be in a safehouse. Anyway the game doesn't inform you of this so look up the appropriate key.

Why am I being shot at at checkpoints anyway? Nobody ought to recognize me as having any kind of allegiance, and the only people I've shot at are now dead.

Do they represent a particular faction? Or is this me vs. all of Africa?

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Why am I being shot at at checkpoints anyway? Nobody ought to recognize me as having any kind of allegiance, and the only people I've shot at are now dead.

Every time you take a mission they'll come up with an excuse as to why their own people will shoot at you. Every single time: You vs. Africa. The only non-hostile people are those in neutral areas or are your friends "buddies".

You can rush through checkpoints, but some jokers on a car (or two) will always follow you, and when that happens your car will always end up at least smoking.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Everyone is an rear end in a top hat in far cry 2. No matter who you are working for everyone will try to kill you. Usually the mission givers say something like "we aren't telling anyone you are working for us".

quote:

I've found that the quickest way to deal with checkpoints (assuming there's no easy way around them off-road) is to just drive through with a turret jeep as quickly as possible, get some distance, and then man the gun and kill any vehicles that followed you. Repair your jeep (or take an enemy one, if they're in better shape) and move on.

Not fun exactly, but faster than actually trying to fight in the checkpoint.

When I went in intending to kill everyone I found it went faster because no one was chasing me after. Maybe your way was faster. I just found it aggravating to be a minute out of camp but then have to hop out of the car to fight random dickheads.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Yeah, for Far Cry 2 never drive a vehicle that doesn't have a gun so you can just switch to the gun to quickly kill those guys who chase you. Also, use the river - there are much fewer check points and you can go faster. You have to make sure to change up your assault technique - sure, it might be best to barrel in with an assault truck and lay down pain from the .50 call every time but it gets boring, force yourself to stealth it sometimes, or snipe, or set traps with flame, or whatever, even if it takes longer or is a pain in the rear end.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I saw the first ad for Skyrim coming out later this year - never really been into the Elder Scrolls series, but this looks pretty mad. If I buy this without playing the others will I understand the plot? As far as I understand it they're all separate games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

I saw the first ad for Skyrim coming out later this year - never really been into the Elder Scrolls series, but this looks pretty mad. If I buy this without playing the others will I understand the plot? As far as I understand it they're all separate games.

I don't know why you'd even begin to worry about the plot, but yes they're all totally independent of each other and each game takes place in a totally different part of a staggeringly gigantic world. You won't be missing anything, and by skipping the others you won't be burned out on the gameplay style by the time Skyrim comes out.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Barudak posted:

I don't know why you'd even begin to worry about the plot, but yes they're all totally independent of each other and each game takes place in a totally different part of a staggeringly gigantic world. You won't be missing anything, and by skipping the others you won't be burned out on the gameplay style by the time Skyrim comes out.

I'm a sucker for story! But thanks.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

So going back to Empire: Total War for a second, what's the best way to keep your provinces (particularly newly occupied ones) from rebelling? I'm finding that it's pretty easy to conquer territory, but that it's pretty annoying to keep them happy. I can exempt taxes, but a) sometimes I forget to turn them back on and b) it doesn't always help enough. Do I need to keep my army sitting on the province until it's happy, or train a big garrison for every province that I take, or is there a strategy that I'm missing?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

CelestialScribe posted:

You can do what I'm doing and get the Oblivion 5th year Anniversary edition next month. It's the game, all the DLC, all the CE edition bonuses, and a $10 off coupon for Skyrim for $29.99.

I think they're limited edition like Mario All-Stars for the Wii and Zelda for the 3DS, so go and pre-order it at your local Gamestop/Game/etc. if you think you may want it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

So going back to Empire: Total War for a second, what's the best way to keep your provinces (particularly newly occupied ones) from rebelling? I'm finding that it's pretty easy to conquer territory, but that it's pretty annoying to keep them happy. I can exempt taxes, but a) sometimes I forget to turn them back on and b) it doesn't always help enough. Do I need to keep my army sitting on the province until it's happy, or train a big garrison for every province that I take, or is there a strategy that I'm missing?

There's a bunch of factors (many of which I don't remember) but aside from cutting taxes and keeping a garrison...

Tear down the schools and build churches. :black101: :catholic:

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Anything to know for the first Assassin's Creed game? I'm playing on pc with an XBox 360 controller. Is there any point to the travel areas between cities? It just seems like a hassle to show off the horses.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I just noticed I have Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit on Steam. Don't know when I got it but looks interesting. Seems like quite an unusual game though, any advice before diving in?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

particle409 posted:

Anything to know for the first Assassin's Creed game? I'm playing on pc with an XBox 360 controller. Is there any point to the travel areas between cities? It just seems like a hassle to show off the horses.

No, fast-travel whenever you get the option (you have to go through the travel areas the first time). Don't bother doing every mission, just find the kinds you like and do the bare minimum to get the assassination missions (the fun part of the game). I wouldn't even recommend bothering with going to more eagle roosts than you need to find your way around (unless you're really hurting for max health). As soon as you unlock the short sword, use that for everything that isn't a one-on-one boss fight.

Just get through the game as fast as possible so you can start Assassin's Creed 2 which is a hundred times better.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 6, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

AC1:
Once you learn counter grab use this a lot then once they are on the ground shank em with the hidden blade; this works especially well for the ending "bosses" since they throw a shitload of dureable guys at you that would otherwise take ages to kill.
- hidden blade counters are instakill but hard to time right, the second makes them a lot easier to use.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

Zedd posted:

AC1:
Once you learn counter grab use this a lot then once they are on the ground shank em with the hidden blade; this works especially well for the ending "bosses" since they throw a shitload of dureable guys at you that would otherwise take ages to kill.
- hidden blade counters are instakill but hard to time right, the second makes them a lot easier to use.

I would suggest taking some time, before getting to the ending, and mastering the timing on counters, especially the hidden blade counters, because you pretty much cannot get through the final bosses without using them.

If the ending areas prove too difficult or you keep getting your rear end handed to you for hours on end, feel free to just watch a video of the ending and move on to AC2, because it is a remarkably better game, in almost every single way.

AC1 is the most difficult of the series, but for reasons it shouldn't be (especially the ending). And since there's little to no save transfer stuff to AC2, there's no reason to bruise your thumbs over some poor game design.

Also, don't do any sidequest/flag-finding quests. They are as pointless as they come.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Sloth Socks posted:

I would suggest taking some time, before getting to the ending, and mastering the timing on counters, especially the hidden blade counters, because you pretty much cannot get through the final bosses without using them.

If the ending areas prove too difficult or you keep getting your rear end handed to you for hours on end, feel free to just watch a video of the ending and move on to AC2, because it is a remarkably better game, in almost every single way.

AC1 is the most difficult of the series, but for reasons it shouldn't be (especially the ending). And since there's little to no save transfer stuff to AC2, there's no reason to bruise your thumbs over some poor game design.

Also, don't do any sidequest/flag-finding quests. They are as pointless as they come.

I don't think I even knew hidden blade counters were a thing, and I beat it (not 100% though because gently caress that). I know I used the short blade everywhere, because it was better in just about every way then the long sword.

The PC Version has far more variety in the sidequests, rather then the same 4 each time you start a new memory, so you might not have to take all the "SIDEQUESTS ARE TERRIBLE" warnings to heart. I liked them, at least.

And the best use of the counter grab is getting on top of a building and throwing all the guards in the city to their doom. I spent half an hour doing this once, and it was the best time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I'm about to start Ghost Recon. Any tips?