Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ROFLBOT posted:

In the continuing teardown of my track car, after we found this in the gearbox...

...we decided to check the $3000 twin-plate carbon clutch to make sure it was ok

uhoh

I would *really* like to know what failed first....

Seems like it would be feedback from whatever broke in the transmission trashed the clutch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ROFLBOT posted:

In the continuing teardown of my track car, after we found this in the gearbox...

...we decided to check the $3000 twin-plate carbon clutch to make sure it was ok

uhoh

I would *really* like to know what failed first....

It's cool man, you used to have a twin plate clutch, now it's a 7-plate clutch! :v:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Memento1979 posted:

It's cool man, you used to have a twin plate clutch, now it's a 7-plate clutch! :v:

A little JB weld should fix that right up.

I know poo poo all about carbon clutches beyond that they exist according to that photo. I imagine they would have amazing heat resistance but sudden drivetrain load / unloads or any sort of misalignment would destroy them. Are my guesses vaguely correct?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why do you have a $3000 clutch in a Soarer of all things?

The only thing I can think of is that it must be an absurd race car that rips off lurid powerslides 24/7. :allears:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Apparently this tractor was all of four days old:

I don't think it's going to finish out the season.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was it a Lamborghini? :v:

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why do you have a $3000 clutch in a Soarer of all things?

The only thing I can think of is that it must be an absurd race car that rips off lurid powerslides 24/7. :allears:

We're getting there :)

On pump fuel and stock 10:1 compression we have 400rwhp on a very safe tune while we set it up for E85, so in the spirit of "do it once, do it right" i splashed out on a clutch that (supposedly) easily take double that while being as easy to drive and long-lasting as a standard clutch.

Car weighs ~1360kg with 20L fuel in it so it goes alright

Failure mode is not clear, something went bang during a 2nd-3rd gear change, but the countershaft has broken at the 5th gear synchro which is an unheard of for these boxes.

Possible partial clutch failure as above effectively making it a clutchless change which the box didnt like? Rest of the box was in perfect condition but could not select any gears which makes me think the clutch may have been the culprit. Not happy.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 21, 2012

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Apparently this tractor was all of four days old:

I don't think it's going to finish out the season.

Nothing runs burns like a Deere

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

CommieGIR posted:

I'm hesitant to keep running it, even though the TDI has 280,000 miles its a damned fun and reliable car, I'd rather not risk a turbo self-destruct even though it still works.

That, and I'm planning on getting a used turbo and having this one rebuilt.

The cold side is the only side damaged, the hot side is undamaged and shows no sign of being unbalanced.

Our 2001 TDI had a hot side problem from 200,000 miles of high sulphur diesel and because, for some retarded reason, VW decided to integrate the turbine and exhaust manifold, the replacement part was about $5000. You can probably get away with much less than that just replacing the compressor, but definitely do it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

bidikyoopi posted:

Our 2001 TDI had a hot side problem from 200,000 miles of high sulphur diesel and because, for some retarded reason, VW decided to integrate the turbine and exhaust manifold, the replacement part was about $5000. You can probably get away with much less than that just replacing the compressor, but definitely do it.

Holy poo poo dude you got hosed, thats a $1000 part at most. I bought a bigger turbo for mine in 2005 and it was less than $1k.

e: VNT17 which is slightly bigger and the same design

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Billy Tully posted:

Holy poo poo dude you got hosed, thats a $1000 part at most. I bought a bigger turbo for mine in 2005 and it was less than $1k.

e: VNT17 which is slightly bigger and the same design

Yeop not surprised, although we didn't actually pay it. When you got the bigger turbo, did it have the manifold attached too?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I found this lambo fire pretty interesting due to how it burned away the body but mostly left the actual structural bits behind without warping them much if at all. It's a unique view you don't see every day.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bidikyoopi posted:

So, I want to make sure I'm understanding this right - it was high sulphur diesel that caused issues? The engines I'm used to it's low sulphur that causes problems...

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Rorac posted:

I found this lambo fire pretty interesting due to how it burned away the body but mostly left the actual structural bits behind without warping them much if at all. It's a unique view you don't see every day.
Awesome ratrod, right there.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Two Finger posted:

So, I want to make sure I'm understanding this right - it was high sulphur diesel that caused issues? The engines I'm used to it's low sulphur that causes problems...

Yes, the variable nozzle turbos would get coked up with soot and stop working if you didn't give the engine the beans every once in a while or babied it for too long. The vanes need exercise. The injection pumps don't like the new low sulphur because it doesn't have as much lubricity but that is easily avoided with additives (B5 is perfect for that).

bidikyoopi, the turbo I put on was the same except (IIRC) the compressor side was bigger.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Rorac posted:

From what I understand about those cars this isn't really a view that's all that unique.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MikeyTsi posted:

From what I understand about those cars this isn't really a view that's all that unique.

No, the unique part is that it isn't a pile of ash. :v:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Fucknag posted:

No, the unique part is that it isn't a pile of ash. :v:

The chassis frame is rather high grade steel. It will probably not warp much just because its clothes burned.

However the crystalline structure of the steel has probably changed quite a bit after another tempering/annealing.

The frame is pretty much toast, even though it looks like "just need some POR15 to fix it". To save it as a structural frame will be way beyond what the original manufactures are capable of.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sir Cornelius posted:

However the crystalline structure of the steel has probably changed quite a bit after another tempering/annealing.
One of our suppliers burned down once (actually twice, but hey) with a load of our parts on-site. My suggestion that they just time the blaze +/- 10 minutes before putting it out and we'll see if we can certify it as a heat treatment didn't go down too well.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

InitialDave posted:

One of our suppliers burned down once (actually twice, but hey) with a load of our parts on-site. My suggestion that they just time the blaze +/- 10 minutes before putting it out and we'll see if we can certify it as a heat treatment didn't go down too well.

For people that originally ordered martensite, bainite can be a really nasty once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sir Cornelius posted:

For people that originally ordered martensite, bainite can be a really nasty once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Once-in-a-lifetime because it usually signifies the end of a lifetime?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Memento1979 posted:

Once-in-a-lifetime because it usually signifies the end of a lifetime?

For constructional elements in a fast car, you might be correct. Bainite is some brittle poo poo for a frame.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

You'd have to stick a thermometer in there too just to make sure you're in spec!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Sir Cornelius posted:

See earlier post in this thread about heat-treated AR15 bolts assemblies. :/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

You'd have to stick a thermometer in there too just to make sure you're in spec!
Reckon they'd be ok with the local weather report in lieu of a dew point meter?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I posted this in the horrible things thread, but I had to share it with y'all, too.

A friend of mine changed the "clutch" in his jetta.

the word clutch is in quotes, because, well: (it is the most mangled clutch i have ever seen)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

nitrogen posted:

I posted this in the horrible things thread, but I had to share it with y'all, too.

A friend of mine changed the "clutch" in his jetta.

the word clutch is in quotes, because, well: (it is the most mangled clutch i have ever seen)

Jesus, what happened to that thing? Looks like an over rev for sure.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

sharkytm posted:

Jesus, what happened to that thing? Looks like an over rev for sure.

Looks to me like a long pattern of high RPM drops. That's what my MR2 turbo's clutch looked like after three years of redline launches.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bidikyoopi posted:

Just like to point out: You can get a used VNT-15 or VNT-17 for fairly cheap. I know VNT-15s are cheap enough a lot of 1Z/AHU owners upgrade to it, granted you have to make some changes to the firewall to make it fit.

I thought by the time the VNT-15s were being put into the TDIs, they were already building the diesels to ULSD spec? Even my 98 TDI was pretty much ULSD ready.

I think the coking issue is just an issue that all the VNTs had early on, just part of going from a wastegated turbo that has been used for a decade or two to a variable vane turbo that is a relatively new design for consumer end products.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 28, 2012

Johnny Mash
May 21, 2007
I hope to see you soon in La La Land

Phy posted:

This was.

Click for the article.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Paul Boz_ posted:

Looks to me like a long pattern of high RPM drops. That's what my MR2 turbo's clutch looked like after three years of redline launches.

He bought the jetta from a kid for CHEAP, so you are probably right.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/566647.html

Dad of a guy I know from high school.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Phy posted:

yes.

I saw a Scion that was scorched from the windows up on the back of a flatbed today.
The roof was sunken and everything, but the bottom half of the car seemed unscathed. odd.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 29, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I saw a Scion that was scorched from the windows up on the back of a flatbed today.
The roof was sunken and everything, but the bottom half of the car seemed unscathed. odd.

It's remarkable how much heat travels straight up in a fire, as opposed to sideways.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And nothing of value was lost.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Motronic posted:

And nothing of value was lost.

It seems that all the gas was lost.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

CommieGIR posted:

Just like to point out: You can get a used VNT-15 or VNT-17 for fairly cheap. I know VNT-15s are cheap enough a lot of 1Z/AHU owners upgrade to it, granted you have to make some changes to the firewall to make it fit.

I thought by the time the VNT-15s were being put into the TDIs, they were already building the diesels to ULSD spec? Even my 98 TDI was pretty much ULSD ready.

I think the coking issue is just an issue that all the VNTs had early on, just part of going from a wastegated turbo that has been used for a decade or two to a variable vane turbo that is a relatively new design for consumer end products.

Yeah, the whole thing was a mess of electric issues, driveline problems and scrapes from lovely NE drivers. We put probably 30,000 miles a year on it and never did any maintenance beyond oil changes and tire rotations. Basically, it was a complete beater that only got fixed because of family dealership, if I had to pay $5k we would have junked it. Good to hear it's actually much cheaper to fix.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Craving for human flesh or motor mounts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3A2i3R37W0

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How the gently caress do mounts even get to that point? Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
^^^
VTEC, yo.

And here's what happens when you cheap out on a proper lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yr9Yt5yrIg