Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

DontAskKant posted:

What kind of dog is the livestock dog down here. Is it the same breed that the Chinese and Koreans use?

Oh god he's turning into a North Vietnamese. Get him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

SE Asia coffee story:

The thread needs more effort posts like this. I imagine that Thai-Burma border region is going to change a lot in the next few years since the overland route to Yangon has opened.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
Looking for some advice here fellow travelers,

Me and a friend are taking a 2-3 week vacation in october, we have stuff to do in Singapore for 2 nights or so and then basically a good 2-3 weeks to do other stuff in the area...

As two single guys who are expats in the Gulf (Saudi) and looking for some good fun, a fair amount of partying, drinking etc. where would you guys recommend? I've already been to Thailand and am planning a trip there in January so apart from there we're looking at our options.

Hong Kong / Macau for a week then the Philippines (Boracay?) is a possibility, maybe Bali is doable instead too... and I would also like to ask if Malasia is good for that sort of thing, I haven't heard much and I want to believe it's Thailand's more tame, muslim brother?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, we've been stuck in Saudi for a while now and need to get loose :)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Do not go to Malaysia to party. I'm not saying you can't have fun, but every other country around here is more fun for having fun, heh.

Without knowing more, I'd say something in Indonesia if you don't want to do Thailand three times in a row. The Philippines can be fun, but I've never met anyone with hugely positive things to say about Boracay. No one I know hated it, everyone's just like, "Eh, it's a less popular Phuket/Bali/whatever with cheaper beer and worse food."

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
To be honest it's pretty hard to go wrong in SEA if you're looking for partying... any decent sized town (or island) that's popular with travellers is a pretty safe bet. Thailand is the most obvious choice since it has a tonne of options, but I've had some great nights out in Vietnam and have heard good stuff about Indonesia too. And Cambodia of course, but I'm probably kinda biased there.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Kant walks into the hotel (actually a travel agency), a desk attendant appears.

Kant uses 'I have a reservation'
Attendant uses 'do you want to take tour '
Kant uses 'I have a reservation supercharged with smart phone power' it is mildly effective.

Kant uses 'let me see the room's
Attendant uses 'meh ' it is not effective

Kant uses 'this room lacks 3 key features '
Attendant uses 'vanishing English ability '
Kant uses 'I'll pay 14' it is not effective.
Attendant uses 'English extinction '

Kant submits.

Round 2
Attendant uses 'let me keep your passport for 4 days'
Kant uses 'ARGLEBARGLE!'
Attendant uses 'slightly inaccurate exchange rate'
Kant balks.

Kant walks off and watches Vietnamese Journey to the West and uses a beer.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tytan posted:

And Cambodia of course, but I'm probably kinda biased there.
It really is my favorite, too, but I think it requires some sort of special and not entirely positive genetic mutation that only a few us have to feel this way. Still, Phnom Penh is my favorite city ever.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

DontAskKant posted:

Kant walks off and watches Vietnamese Journey to the West and uses a beer.

More beers tonight?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Found out the super in the building I'm about to move into in D.C. is Cambodian. Man, I can't wait to see his face the first time I speak Khmer to him.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
How nervous should I be of all this passport-surrendering business? Any places where it's just a scam, or conversely something I should just roll with? The idea of giving up my passport makes me crazy nervous.

And how carefully do they check? I have a decoy expired passport along with my legit one.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

In Vietnam it's the norm. You can pay upfront if you'd prefer and not surrender your passport. They do check because they have to write down visa info and stuff.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I remember when I first got here traveling it was a real shock to me. Now, I don't even think twice anymore. The only places I wouldn't give it to are the scammy beach rental types, but detecting those is mostly a matter of experience (avoid mechanical vehicles in Phuket and Pattaya for example). Most places in Thailand don't ask to keep it unless you're renting something, but it is pretty common in neighboring countries. I can never figure out, or remember where it's a legal requirement or where it's just business custom.

The real problem comes in when you need to rent something at one place and get visa paperwork done at another. It's like some business owners have never considered this. Can usually be solved, though, by having one business owner call the other since everyone knows one another or their cousin or uncle. I loathe putting down hundreds of dollars to rent a mountain bike or something, so I just tell them to work it out between themselves.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Weird. I can roll with that, though.

My city is currently swarmed with cruise-ships. Goddamn tourists! :argh:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I posted a link to this in the D&D thread, but it's so loving good that I have to crosspost:

http://theactofkilling.com/

There are sporadic screenings, but not here in Southeast Asia that I've seen. You can find it elsewhere pretty easily.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Smeef posted:

The thread needs more effort posts like this. I imagine that Thai-Burma border region is going to change a lot in the next few years since the overland route to Yangon has opened.
I've had Kopi Luwak a couple of times and it's always really disappointing! I got a pack from the store but it was stale, then I had it a few times in cafes and it was pretty underwhelming!

Also, ignore the dude who said Javanese coffee is good. You would expect Java to have good coffee but it really doesn't. Ordering 'coffee' in a cafe gets you unfiltered filter coffee with five tablespoons of sugar, stone cold from all the milk in it. It's diabetes murder coffee with little floating brown bits in it. If you spend five minutes arguing, you may get lukewarm unfiltered black coffee with three (only three!) tablespoons of sugar in. There are no other options.

ReindeerF posted:

I posted a link to this in the D&D thread, but it's so loving good that I have to crosspost:

http://theactofkilling.com/

There are sporadic screenings, but not here in Southeast Asia that I've seen. You can find it elsewhere pretty easily.
Yeah I've been looking around Indo and it basically doesn't exist. I don't think it's going to get a release here at all.

npn
Mar 7, 2006

Pixelante posted:

How nervous should I be of all this passport-surrendering business? Any places where it's just a scam, or conversely something I should just roll with? The idea of giving up my passport makes me crazy nervous.

And how carefully do they check? I have a decoy expired passport along with my legit one.

In Vietnam it's normal as a very normal thing and depending on how the procedure for registering your stay with the local police is handled wherever you are they may actually be required to keep it for a short time at least. This is true for locals and foreigners. Don't worry about it at all, they do it all the time so are going to have a safe-ish place to keep it with all the other passports/ID cards.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Also, ignore the dude who said Javanese coffee is good. You would expect Java to have good coffee but it really doesn't. Ordering 'coffee' in a cafe gets you unfiltered filter coffee with five tablespoons of sugar, stone cold from all the milk in it. It's diabetes murder coffee with little floating brown bits in it. If you spend five minutes arguing, you may get lukewarm unfiltered black coffee with three (only three!) tablespoons of sugar in. There are no other options.
Huh that's weird. I order coffee with hot milk and get exactly that. I do sometimes get a few coffee grounds, I assume this is because the metal/reusable filters they use are not a fine enough mesh, but I actually like the little extra kick it gives you. Sort of like arabic style coffee lite.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Pixelante posted:

In Vietnam, it's the law - everybody (foreigner or local) not sleeping at home has to be declared to the police. So in theory, your aunt visiting for a few days, that girl you picked up in a club or your buddy crashing on your couch should all be duly documented at the nearest police station.
In reality of course, nobody does that. Police sometimes do random sweeps in cheap hotels but that's about it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Fun with Southeast Asian laws!

In Laos it's illegal for a foreigner to cohabit with a woman that he is not married to. Of course it's intended to tamp down on adultery and sex tourism, but it also means that you and your girlfriend or fiancee can't sleep in the same place. I have a friend up there who is now married to a Laos national who was in this predicament. He's not a worry wart and has been here for nearly 20 years, but he said they do take it a bit seriously there and it's a way for some local person with a grudge to cause trouble (which is how most goofball laws here work - see lese majeste in Thailand). So, before he got married he'd hang out and then go back to his hotel.

Also, it's illegal for foreigners over 50 to marry Cambodians or Laotians. My friend's friend was a guy over 50 and his wife of many years died. Most of the property and their store was in her name, so, aside from the loss, it also created an instant explosion of family drama as the assets came up for discussion.

I'm not sure if the reverse is true for women and men in either case, but I don't think they bothered to word it that way.

Until a decade or so back, a Thai woman lost her right to own land when marrying a foreigner, but that got changed. Cambodia's marriage law is fairly new, so they're really avant-garde!

What other goofball foreigner-related laws do we have around here? I'm sure Vietnam has some. I remember it wasn't too long before my first visit that they lifted the restrictions on inter-provincial travel. There used to be some kind of checkpoint system throughout the country and all kinds of areas were off-limits to foreigners.

\/\/\/ :lol: The only part I'm trying to figure out is the gay bar in Mae Whatever Whatever. You guys must have gone to Pai or Chiang Mai or something.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 15, 2013

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Smeef posted:

A college friend visited me this weekend, marking my first visitor from home to our kooky little border town. Highlights included a decayed dog jaw on the sidewalk, a shady Burmese river market, a rack of lamb at a gay bar and having a resort pool to ourselves for the afternoon. Don't change too much, western Thailand!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

Fun with Southeast Asian laws!

In Laos it's illegal for a foreigner to cohabit with a woman that he is not married to. Of course it's intended to tamp down on adultery and sex tourism, but it also means that you and your girlfriend or fiancee can't sleep in the same place. I have a friend up there who is now married to a Laos national who was in this predicament. He's not a worry wart and has been here for nearly 20 years, but he said they do take it a bit seriously there and it's a way for some local person with a grudge to cause trouble (which is how most goofball laws here work - see lese majeste in Thailand). So, before he got married he'd hang out and then go back to his hotel.

Oh man. I thought it was just that foreigners couldn't cohabit with Laos'. Oh well. Not like I was planning on hooking up with backpackers anyway, but it was nice to imagine the option was there. ;)

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

There are similar rules in parts of Malaysia and Indonesia.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pixelante posted:

Oh man. I thought it was just that foreigners couldn't cohabit with Laos'. Oh well. Not like I was planning on hooking up with backpackers anyway, but it was nice to imagine the option was there. ;)
I'm sorry that your dreams of congressing with a geographic entity are just not possible :(

lemonadesweetheart posted:

There are similar rules in parts of Malaysia and Indonesia.
I tried to shy away from South of Thailand, lest we get into "you are a sorceror!" laws, heh.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

So much for the bucket list. :sigh:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

I'm sorry that your dreams of congressing with a geographic entity are just not possible :(
I tried to shy away from South of Thailand, lest we get into "you are a sorceror!" laws, heh.

Pretty sure they have those laws in malaysia/indonesia too. Sorceror/witch = Bomoh in bahasa melayu/indonesia :)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pretty sure they have those laws in malaysia/indonesia too. Sorceror/witch = Bomoh in bahasa melayu/indonesia :)
sorry, yeah, that's what I meant - South of Thailand as in from beyond Thailand's Southern borders. I dunno what goes on at a village level, but even Songkhla, Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani don't have those issues. As a sorceror, I would expect you to know this already, though.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

One of the most interesting things I've learned since I got here is how they integrated animism and mythology into Islam and in some cases Christianity. I might be over-estimating it but you hear things about ghost villages and some of the movies they put out with ghosts and monsters in them and how it intersects with their faiths is really interesting. Some of it is clearly viewed as backwards/evil/unfaithful whatever but there is still a healthy amount of you don't gently caress with these things as well despite the Islamization movements that started in the 70s/80s.

People here are obsessed with demon babies too.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Yeah Cambodia is similar. Buddhism is the official religion and is obviously a massive part of their culture, but a lot of their actual beliefs are much more animistic, especially in the provinces. Lots of ghost stories, people making offerings to spirits etc. It's definitely an interesting mix.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Burmese animism is pretty prevalent in rural areas. Of chief importance is the worship of nats, a pantheon of spirit-like beings that trace their roots to Hinduism and indigenous beliefs. Mediums, sometimes of the third gender, can channel nats. Interestingly, Thai spirit houses have accompanied Thai-led development in some areas of eastern Burma, and the locals are worried that the Thai houses upset the nats. There are also weizzars, who are essentially wizards/shamans with some superhuman attributes (such as flight on some occasions), and are surrounded by folk tales of immortality and powers. I think belief in weizzars is gradually dying out, though.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 15, 2013

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

and here I thought an opera house in a city of 8+ million would have a functioning website and a phone number besides a guy yelling no. Silly me. Also Chinese celery is not Gai Lan and my plate is not where you put your trash outside restaurant lady. Did find my first 5000 dong napkin, and two French ladies flipping out about it.

E: Vietnam where even the hustle is half-assed.
No lady this is not my gf please stop winking.
Why do jazz clubs this small need speakers all around.
Apparently Hanoi is the place to get knockoff apparel and shoes larger than size 10.
I like the vendors better in Hanoi, I keep getting pissed off before buying something in Saigon.
I saw my first sexpat.
Spent about an hour riding around finding a quiet-ish coffee shop to do some tutoring then realized the ridiculousness of what I was asking for.
If I moves here I would still be cooking for myself a lot more until I found trusted restaurants.

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 15, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
When I was in high school, we took a field trip to visit a certain religious sect. That sect believes that Jose Rizal, national hero of the Philippines, was a reincarnation of Jesus Christ. They also consider his two most famous literary works, Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo, as holy scripture.

What surprised me is that they are apparently recognized by the Catholic Church as a legitimate sect. Belief is a weird thing.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

One of the most interesting things I've learned since I got here is how they integrated animism and mythology into Islam and in some cases Christianity. I might be over-estimating it but you hear things about ghost villages and some of the movies they put out with ghosts and monsters in them and how it intersects with their faiths is really interesting. Some of it is clearly viewed as backwards/evil/unfaithful whatever but there is still a healthy amount of you don't gently caress with these things as well despite the Islamization movements that started in the 70s/80s.

People here are obsessed with demon babies too.
The Indonesian version of Bigfoot is called Genderuwo. He hides in lakes and rivers, then jumps out and rapes women who walk by. Once he's got them pregnant, he vanished from this mortal plane and his soul goes into the woman's unboard fetus, so the big guy can be practically immortal. It was one of those harmlessly weird myths until somebody told me "baby gendueruwo look exactly like human babies with a hair lip. They said you had to kill them before they could grow."

:smith:

If you want a really weird Islam/Indonesian folklore mix, go to Madura. A lot of the locals in Surabaya are scared shitless of the island because it's where all the nasty practitioners of the old magic live and work their stuff. The closest I've come to it was when a guy in the market tried to glamour me. I'd been warned about it by some of the guys at work- they have one go 'cast the spell' then his mate comes up and picks your pockets. So Dumbledore came up and started following inches behind me, tapping me rhythmically on the shoulder. Whenever I turned around, he's stop walking but keep tapping. True fact: you're supposed to hit them in the crotch to let him know "I am wise to your magic." It's never happened again which is sad, because I want to hit another wizard in the balls.

The word I've seen here for Indonesian magic is 'Dukun', which is also the name for the guys who use it.

edit: From the Mouth of Teens in class today.

"Mister where does your girlfriend pray? Is she Muslim? Catholic? Christian?"
"Uh .... Catholic?"
"Where do you pray?"
"Christian."

:aaaaa:
"YOU HAVE DIFFERENT RELIGIONS!"

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 15, 2013

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

New thread title: I want to hit another wizard in the balls. 

Someone move to Saigon with me and start a gypsy jazz band. I got trumpet covered. It's a scandal that a city this big is missing so many things.

Someone explain to me why only my right ankle has mosquito bites and no where else.

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 15, 2013

npn
Mar 7, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

What other goofball foreigner-related laws do we have around here? I'm sure Vietnam has some. I remember it wasn't too long before my first visit that they lifted the restrictions on inter-provincial travel. There used to be some kind of checkpoint system throughout the country and all kinds of areas were off-limits to foreigners.
Vietnam:
Houses rented to foreigners have to meet different standards in regards to registration and fire safety (there's probably other things too) which ofcourse means those places that are specially setup for renting to foreigners have inflated prices. That's pretty easy to get around though.

We get special number plates that have the Vietnamese acronym for FOREIGN ('NN' - Nuoc Ngoai) on them.

All sorts of property ownership exceptions (which makes sense in a communist, sorry 'market orientated socialist', nation where all land is still the property of 'the people').

The one that grates the most for me is that we need special permission to enter areas 'close' to borders (close can be a fair distance in some areas) and out lying islands - which just so happens to be where a lot of the really cool places to explore by motorbike are. Have been held up, questioned and then turned around by the border patrol multiple times now - it's normally good natured but it ruins the trip since you can't continue on your planned route. Backpackers will run up against this when visiting Ha Giang but because it's so heavily touristed the permit process is really streamlined.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The thing about Thai spirit houses upsetting the balance is loving brilliant, Mothra. I had a long discussion with the special lady friend last weekend about spirit houses. I'm always out in the countryside running or something and you'll frequently come across these piles of cast-aside spirit houses just on the side of the road, sometimes near a spirit tree (another great topic). I asked her what was up there and she said, basically, you can't just dispose of a spirit house when it looks lovely or when you tear down a property or whatever, because the garbage man won't take it and the dump won't take it and mainly it is very bad juju, so one person will leave one somewhere in the middle of the night and then another person will leave theirs there and pretty soon it's like a midnight dumping ground. Religious hypocrisy is alive and well and hilarious the world over. She also said that there are Muslim (and other ethnicity/religiosity) companies who dispose of spirit houses, kinda like Ghostbusters. When I heard this I realized my destiny: I will launch and run Thailand's largest spirit house disposal firm. We'll be like the Orkin man. Just a bunch of drunk farangs sitting around an office until the phone rings.

Tytan posted:

Yeah Cambodia is similar. Buddhism is the official religion and is obviously a massive part of their culture, but a lot of their actual beliefs are much more animistic, especially in the provinces. Lots of ghost stories, people making offerings to spirits etc. It's definitely an interesting mix.
One of my favorite things are the constant animals who give birth to other animals, or the animals who are the reincarnation of a little boy or something - or even the little boy that befriended a giant python. It never stops there, heh. Then the people travel from around the country to visit the freakish thing and get some good luck hoodoo. If I ever end up there, I'm just going to move from town to town claiming that my cat gave birth to a litter of puppies and then get elected mayor.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

:aaaaa:
"YOU HAVE DIFFERENT RELIGIONS!"
SCANDALOUS.

There's plenty of cray cray poo poo in Thailand too, but generally it tends to be less crazy than Burma or Cambodia except at around the edges from what I can glean which is pretty appropriate to the differing levels of development, and there's very little of that fusion of Muslim-islander wizard stuff that goes on South of here. We do have seers and black magic practitioners and all that, of course, and every ethnic subculture brings its own with it (this being a mecca for migrant labor regionally). The main things here, at least in Central Thailand, are the fortune teller and the monk, who seem to serve alternating purposes. The fortune teller tells you what's going to happen and the monk protects you from what's going to happen or addresses what's already happened. In practical terms, that means when you buy a new house, buy a new car, open a business, get married, have a baby and all that, you go to the fortune teller to tell you when and how and then you go to the monk to execute. Whether this happens, and how it happens varies quite a bit if you're Thai-Chinese or traditional Thai or Mon or Burmese or Khmer and so on.

I've got some goofball cultural misunderstanding stories along these lines. One random thing is that the word for fortune teller is Moh Doo (more like Mohr Doo). When you first arrive, the first usage of Moh that you find is usually doctor, so Moh is doctor. Doo is sight or seeing - as in, to look. So, Moh Doo sounds a lot like eye doctor when you translate it literally instead of figuratively. One day at the office, someone said she was getting married and needed to go see the Moh Doo and I was like, "You have to have an appointment with the eye doctor when you get married in Thailand?" and was appropriately laughed at.

EDIT: I forgot to add the Sadu in the fortune teller/monk thing. She casts spells. I know one who lives in the forest on one of my running trails. She has liquor bottles everywhere and a wooden hut and idols and carvings. I should take a photo sometimes. It's a really pretty trail and her little hoodoo hut makes for a brilliant addition. She's just kind of weird and almost never leaves the hut. Part of the job is you have to appear to be possessed or touched and dress like Nell.

EDIT EDIT: Also, my problem is that while I meet and greet a lot of people and try to talk to rural folks and things, the majority of my contact is with educated Bangkokians, so I don't know all the truly insane poo poo that goes on. Any wisdom about crazy poo poo that rural people do in Texas I'm good on, but in Thailand, I'm just not as informed at all. Mothra surely knows more, even given his shorter stay.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Also, my favorite day to day monk thing is strings around entire buildings. loving strings in this country.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 15, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Also, alright Smeef, with your Goddamn effortposts :argh:

Here's an effortpost on the river boat in Bangkok:

The Chao Phraya Express, or "the boat" (there are actually canal boats too), is a favorite of tourists visiting Bangkok. It combines the rustic, wooden mystique of travel by boat in Bangkok with the ability to get around to a bunch of stuff that doesn't involve shopping malls and skytrains. The boat itself is supported by a network of ferry piers and it meets with one skytrain (BTS) station at Saphan Thaksin.

I have lived on the river for nearly three years now and I take the boat all the time, so I'm pretty familiar with it from rear end in a top hat to elbow. The main office is actually right across the river from my condo, though this has no bearing on anything. Here are some things to know:

• The web site of the Chao Phraya Express Boat company is here and it's surprisingly accurate.
  • The boat is surprisingly punctual - particularly on departures. It really does depart when it says it departs, which is, for Orange Flag boats, every 20 minutes.
  • Never take the tourist boat, ever. Never. It has a blue flag and not only does it cost twice as much as most other boats - or more - it only goes half the distance and has no redeeming features. If you see a boat full of foreigners, don't get on it.
  • The main line that runs all day long is from Saphan Thaksin (Sathorn Pier at Thaksin Bridge next to the Shangri La Hotel) up to Nonthaburi Pier, where I live. This is serviced by the No-Flag, Orange Flag, Yellow Flag and Green Flag boats.
  • Prices are calculated by the boat's destination, not yours, so whether you go one stop or ten, it costs the same based on your boat.
  • No-Flag boats stop at every pier and are the slowest, but you almost never see them. They cost between 10-14 baht depending on the boat's destination, not yours.
  • Orange Flag boats are the next slowest and stop at most piers. They cost 15 baht always.
  • Yellow Flag boats are the nest slowest and stop at only some piers. They cost between 20-29 baht depending on the boat's destination, not yours.
  • Yellow/Green (really Green) Flag boats are the same as Yellow Flag boats, but they run all the way North to Pak Kred during select hours. They cost between 13-32 baht depending on the boat's destination, not yours.
  • The trip from Nonthaburi Pier to Sathorn Pier (at Saphan Thaksin BTS) takes just about one hour. About 65 minutes on Orange Flag and about 55 minutes on Yellow or Green.
  • The boat also runs South of Sathorn Pier down to Wat Rajsinkgorn, stopping at Rama III and Ratburana along the way, until about 18:00 hours. Because the boats stop departing Rajsingkorn at like 17:00, but will arrive there later, you need to think in terms of arrivals and departures.
  • For tourist purposes, the Green Flag boat is only important if you want to go to Pak Kred (across from the "island" of Koh Kred full of Mon people who make pottery). The issue there is that it only runs from about 06:15 until about 08:00 in the morning and from 15:30 until about 16:00 at night. So, if you take it to Pak Kred, you'll need to stay all day or catch a van or taxi back to Nonthaburi Pier or to Bangkok.
  • Most tourist activities should revolve around the Orange Flag boat. It's the most common, runs all day long and is easy to catch.
  • Important tourist piers include: Sathorn Pier (Saphan Thaksin BTS/skytrain), Si Phraya (dinner cruises and longtail boat trips), Memorial Bridge (Little India), Tha Tien (Chinatown), Tha Chang (Grand Palace/Wat Pho), Phra Athit (Khao San Road), Thewes (Phayathai BTS/Airport Link), Kiak Kai (closest to Bang Sue MRT/Subway) and then Pak Kred (Pak Kred). Nonthaburi Pier is also the final destination on 90% of boats and we get a lot of tourists, but contact me if you plan to come here because it's hard to see what's so cool without a guide.
  • Bang Pho Pier is currently closed for construction of the new MRT/Subway (but it's above ground here :iiam:) bridge, so the stop has moved to Wat Soi Thong for now. Probably a kilometer away, and change.
  • Sathorn Pier (at Thaksin BTS) is a special situation that's sort of heavily regulated, for lack of a better word. They've got gates and people with bullhorns and it makes it all a bit of an affair. The main thing you need to know there is to just stand in line at the cordoned off area on the right as you approach the pier. The pier area off to the left is for hotel boats and the booth in the center is for tourists to get fleeced buying tourist boat tickets. Just look for the line with the most Asians and go there. On that note, if, for some reason, you want to go to somewhere that these hotel boats go, you can pretty much walk on if you look like a tourist.
  • Also, don't confuse the big scarlet-red Asiatique boat with a real river boat. They bought/leased the Chao Phraya Express Boats and have re-branded them. Asiatique is a higher end tourist shopping venue with food, shops, a ferris wheel and so forth.
  • Other piers exist in two varieties - single piers and double piers. On single piers, wait behind the yellow line on the side that's closest to where you're headed. On double piers, descend to the pier that's in the direction you're heading and wait there. If you're going upriver, stand on the upriver pier. Downriver, stand on the downriver pier.
  • At times, stewards or attendants on some piers will assume you're going the wrong direction if you're not on a pier headed toward either Sathorn or Khao San Road (Phra Athit Pier). If you happen to be headed North of Khao San (Phra Athit Pier) this happens a lot. Just say the name of the pier you're going to and smile and they'll go away. They're trying to help, be friendly.
  • The best policy on any boat is to hand the lady a 20 baht note and smile. Only one boat is more than 20 Baht, so you'll almost always be in line with custom to hand a 20.
  • When you get on the boat, don't stand in the back of the boat like a loving tourist and block future arrivals. First, this is annoying and gently caress you. Second, there are signs saying not to do it. Third, it creates tension for the attendants because they have to gesticulate at you and speak broken English, which is embarrassing for Thai people. Fourth, it blocks the way for other people getting on and off. Finally, fifth, it signals to the attendant at the back that you're getting off at the next stop, which means he whistles to stop the boat, which means that the boat will stop even if no one is getting off or on, taking longer.
  • If you're tall, go directly to the front of the boat and sit on the forward or side-facing seats, or on the wooden benches. The other seats are very uncomfortable for me and for anyone else 6'3" and taller. This may not be possible during busy hours.
  • You can drink and eat on the boat, so feel free to bring water, beer, shakes, food - whatever. Don't make a mess, but no one's going to care. There's even a trash can and the attendants will appreciate you leaving your plastic, metal or glass bottles there.
  • Don't loving make out on the boat like that idiot couple yesterday. So loving annoying. Stupid foreigners.
  • Wash your hair and clothes and bathe, please, unlike those smelly backpackers. I know it's all LOL to complain about backpackers, but it really is unbelievable how often I end up next to some smelly guy with his 3' long hair in a bun and whose shirt is covered in sweat stains and who stinks to high heaven. Laundry here is like $1 for a whole bag full!!!
  • If you are a sex tourist, please take your Goddamn bargirlfriend somewhere else, so that every Thai person over 40 doesn't look at you canoodling and then at me and then at you again and then at me again, at which point I have to roll my eyes in apology.
  • You cannot take your bike on the boat unless it's a fold-up bike that turns into a suitcase or ghetto blaster or autobot.
  • There are ferries at a LOT of piers that will take you across the river. *Typically* these will cost 3 Baht (sometimes 4 Baht on holidays) and many of them run 24 hours a day. Many ferries will allow you to take your bike on (most, actually, though not the very busiest near Tha Chang) for an extra Baht.
  • The last boat from Nonthaburi Pier and Sathorn Pier both leave at 19:00, so make sure you're there by 18:50ish by your watch just in case. After that, you're hosed!
  • Google Maps is impressively accurate now on this topic, though it stupidly has the pier names in Thai (with everything else in English), meaning you need to zoom in and look at the dotted lines.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 15, 2013

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

^ I think my hotel is by the river, so this may be super helpful. Cheers dude. ^

What currencies and denominations are best to have as a traveller? I paid up front for most of my accommodations and travel, but still responsible for food, cabs, shopping. Seems like USD are the smartest to have, but I'm guessing I should break down the $50s my bank dropped on me? I also got a chunk of THB, but wasn't sure how much Vietnamese currency to get for a week.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
For cash USD always and above everything else.

For local currency in SE Asia about fifty bucks equivalent for whatever that is local is usually what I walk around with in my pocket. You put your US card in the local ATM and it gives you local money. There used to be places in SE Asia without ATMs (like "Cambodia") but now it's hard to find that.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pixelante posted:

^ I think my hotel is by the river, so this may be super helpful. Cheers dude. ^

What currencies and denominations are best to have as a traveller? I paid up front for most of my accommodations and travel, but still responsible for food, cabs, shopping. Seems like USD are the smartest to have, but I'm guessing I should break down the $50s my bank dropped on me? I also got a chunk of THB, but wasn't sure how much Vietnamese currency to get for a week.
I hoard small bills like nobody's business. In my experience no one ever has change ever. I always try to pay with the biggest bill I have then slowly barter my way down if they don't have change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, Cambodia is dollarized, but everywhere else if you're bringing in big bills they should be US and large. Large bills get better exchange. If you're using dollars to spend then you want small. Anytime you get a large bill, change it. In Thailand go to the 7-11 and buy something small. In Cambodia go to a money changer and so on.