Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

pop....... pop....... POP.......

the horrible, sickening feeling. my ulcers hold no match to it.

POP.......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ron Burgundy posted:

Even the regular black ones are still on the 20th Century Fox label which have some of the crappiest sounding records of all time.

There was a fair amount of popping when I played it earlier, but on visual inspection the record looked near mint. I do have a pretty crappy turntable setup though, so it's possible I just can't really tell the difference. v:shobon:v

CPL593H posted:

Oh, I thought you were talking about a soundtrack album. That actually sounds fun.

Yeah, I'm sure it's cheesy, but for five dollars it might be worth it anyways. I'll probably go back to the store next weekend and grab it if it's still there. I might take a closer look at their soundtrack section, they may have Empire on vinyl as well.

For anyone curious, the record store I'm talking about is Bananas Music, and I am dead serious when I say any crate diggers in the southeast (especially central Florida) owe it to themselves to check it out at least once. They have literally millions of records between their regular store and their "warehouse" located a few blocks away.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

POP.......

Are you talking about U2's POP? Because that album owns, jerk

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

WASDF posted:

POP.......

Rice Krispies are the most terrifying breakfast cereal of them all.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Are you talking about U2's POP? Because that album owns, jerk

Ewwwww, I thought you were cool.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Spoken like every single person who hasn't given the album a chance and simply dismisses it because it's U2 :colbert:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Spoken like every single person who hasn't given the album a chance and simply dismisses it because it's U2 :colbert:

I won't give it a chance because U2 is utter poo poo and every single thing I've ever heard that's come from them sounds like poo poo. Plus Bono is an annoying douche and the Edge is a grown man called "the Edge". Also he's a lovely guitarist.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
This guy is way cooler than us.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

This guy is way cooler than us.

Obviously.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
90s U2 is the only good U2.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I do not enjoy U2.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

90s80s U2 is the only good U2.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Boy are all pretty dope.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Surfingelectrode posted:

Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Boy are all pretty dope.

Rattle and Hum also rules.

In non-U2 related news, the 20th reissue of The Breeders' 'Last Splash' (LSXX) is awesome and I am happy to have it, but it is larger than the other box sets I have by a centimeter or two, and so does not fit in my record rack. But it is fuzzy and that's nice at least.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
If anyone wants it, I have the manual for an old Technics SLB-20 turntable, with a bunch of old full-colour advertising sheets for accessories and whatnot. Approximately 1978 or so. I have no need for it, so if you're a US or Canada goon and have or may at some point have a Technics turntable, or just like old manuals and turntable adverts, email me at my username at Yahoo, and I'll mail it out to you for free.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

How many Jack White records do you own?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

How many Jack White records do you own?

All of them.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

If anyone wants it, I have the manual for an old Technics SLB-20 turntable, with a bunch of old full-colour advertising sheets for accessories and whatnot. Approximately 1978 or so. I have no need for it, so if you're a US or Canada goon and have or may at some point have a Technics turntable, or just like old manuals and turntable adverts, email me at my username at Yahoo, and I'll mail it out to you for free.

Email sent! I have that turntable, and that would be really cool to look at.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ballz posted:

This probably isn't all that special or anything, but damnit I saw it at my local record store for five bucks and just had to grab it:

Plus listening to it reminded me of just how drat good this soundtrack is. You always associate the opening theme and Imperial March, but the other stuff on there is just top loving notch. Some of the track names are mildly amusing for being slightly "off," like Mouse Robot and Blasting Off.

They also had the story disc release of the original Star Wars for five dollars, and a more expensive picture disc version for about $25. I might pick one of them up on a return trip.

I have to double check mine at home if it has that insert. I picked a copy up at giant "vintage" sale for $20 CDN. It sounds amazing though and is fun to put on while just chilling.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Oldies just cancelled my order because they didn't have enough copies of anything I selected to fulfill it. Hopefully this doesn't count towards the "first order ever on the site has free shipping" bonus, because I see a few other albums I want now...

Fake James fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 25, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lenin posted:

Oldies just cancelled my order because they didn't have enough copies of anything I selected to fulfill it. Hopefully this doesn't count towards the "first order ever on the site is free" bonus, because I see a few other albums I want now...

Yeah, I just got a refund from them for the 2 albums that didn't ship. I guess they had originally charged my account for the extra amount, although it wasn't in the invoice.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Err, I meant free shipping not free order. Whoops.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Just chiming in about my Oldies order.

The box was in good shape and so were all six records, but the Dum Dum Girls "Only In Dreams" LP didn't make it as I guess it sold out before they got to my order. The site says it's OOP so I don't expect they'll be sending me one. They haven't refunded me yet though, so if it's not in there by tomorrow I'll give them a call.

Very pleased with my Garth Brooks "Much Too Young" b/w "Rodeo" 45 on clear green vinyl though. For 50 cents, I couldn't pass it up.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

My oldies order of 2 LPs and 12 45s came packed in one record mailer, which is strange, but everything is in good shape. The 45s just had paper sleeves so are a bit dusty, but that's not really their fault and nothing my brush won't get.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I know people hate on Mondo, but I got my copy of the Halloween soundtrack and it sounds really good and the package is overall nice. Also, got the randomly inserted orange copy. I think they pressed a lot more for this release than usual so that variant might be more common than you think.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I also got my Oldies.com order. Everything arrived without issue. It was funny because I just got home from buying records and then I opened the door and two packages with record fell out. I'd also ordered this.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
My copy of Plains of the Purple Buffalo arrived last night! Sounds awesome, and my roommate (who is a bit of a music snob) loves it so much he might buy his own copy soon.

The corners are dinged up but I'm showing restraint this time :colbert:

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Solaris OST getting released Dec 10th through Invada.

Get on what is guaranteed to be a limited release.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Stone Temple Pilots' "Tiny Music" album is getting a vinyl release on December 5th by Music on Vinyl. First pressing of 2,500 copies is on solid light blue vinyl.

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/stone-temple-pilots/tiny-music#.UpZuZ-It0kQ

Their release of Purple sounded fantastic, and I would imagine that they'd do just as fine of a job with this one as well.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
If you're like me and really love the Corrections House album that came out this year, but have been wondering where the vinyl is, you should probably head here:

http://warcrimerecordings.bigcartel.com/

I don't know how long that's been sitting around, but I'm glad that this album looks like it got quality vinyl treatment. For those who haven't listened, it's a super group with members of Eyehategod and Neurosis, but it's actually a good album instead of the flaccid disappointment that most supergroups are.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

mia2000 posted:

Stone Temple Pilots' "Tiny Music" album is getting a vinyl release on December 5th by Music on Vinyl. First pressing of 2,500 copies is on solid light blue vinyl.

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/stone-temple-pilots/tiny-music#.UpZuZ-It0kQ

Their release of Purple sounded fantastic, and I would imagine that they'd do just as fine of a job with this one as well.

Those folks have been doing a lot of really great reissues of hard to find stuff. Their site is a heck of a tease though, what with the no links to anywhere you can buy the stuff. According to Amazon all of their stuff is import and a bit pricey, just looked at soundstage direct and Tiny Music will be 39.99, for a single disc, that's crazy. Looking around the site, I see they did the White Zombie reissues I bought last year, I'd assumed by the price they were 2 LP versions but nope. I hate being a big fat baby about price but again, 39.99, for a single LP. Anyone know of anywhere selling their stuff cheaper or is that just the MSRP?

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 28, 2013

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
Has anyone got 350 pounds they want to give me?

http://www.rise-music.co.uk/browse/campaign/PRES/item/252923/Can-Can-Vinyl-Box.html

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
A slightly weird question for anyone who has a Pro-Ject Essentials turntable: Is the bit that goes through the middle of a record abnormally thick for anyone else? I have a few records that I can't actually get onto the turntable because the nib or whatever is too thick to fit through the hole of the record. Can this be easily replaced? The records I'm having issues with are regular 12"s, not anything special. I would say it was a pressing error or something, but they play fine on friends turntables, so I don't really know.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
There is unfortunately a fair bit of variance in spindle size between turntable manufacturers. I've never owned a Pro-Ject or a Music Hall turntable personally but I have had records that will refuse to fit on one (usually pre-1960s) turntable that will fit great on a 1200. You can always bore the hole out a little with a biro or something like that.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
local store had a copy of Tool's Ænima for $40 yesterday. thought it'd be a bit more pricey. Ended up buying a Spoon record instead.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Action Serious posted:

local store had a copy of Tool's Ænima for $40 yesterday. thought it'd be a bit more pricey. Ended up buying a Spoon record instead.

If it was new its likely a bootleg repress that's been going around, no idea if its any good. I saw a used original pressing for $50 at a local shop once but it was in baaaad shape.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

nomapple posted:

A slightly weird question for anyone who has a Pro-Ject Essentials turntable...

Just stretch/bore the hole out a little. You can use a pen (or even the spindle itself- just push the record down onto it and wiggle it around a little bit) or a pocket knife.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Anyone have a list of good Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If anyone is a fan of late-period Dylan, the 2 LP + CD version of Tempest is only $13.

On amazon lightning deals, for the next 20 minutes.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Dr. Lenin posted:

Anyone have a list of good Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals?
The End Records is doing 25% off of select stuff, with the coupon code 'FIRE'
Metal Blade Records has stuff up to 40% off
Relapse Records is doing 20% off of nearly everything
Music Record Shop is doing 20% off, coupon code 'BLACKFRI'
PopMarket is doing hourly deals (this is a PDF outlining the schedule)
Indie Merch Store is doing 20% off the total order, coupon code 'BLKFRDY13'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Deathwish is also doin' their usual thing, although unfortunately it won't apply to the Self Defense Family preorder which also goes up at midnight.