Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Last night I successfully replaced the squeeze converter in my Metro with a CON-50. But afterward, as I was strutting around the house like goddamned MacGuyver, my partner didn't seem to recognize my sudden and dramatic increase in coolness. What gives...? :wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Let them watch you fill it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I have a few pilot metro and I want one pen with a larger capacity so I don't have to fill the drat things a million times a week when I'm grading papers.

Is the TWSBI 580 a good pick? Should I get a VAC 700 instead? Any other similarly priced (100$ canadian being the most I could consider spending)

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 16, 2017

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So I have 3 jinhao pens I would like to renib with some decent medium nibs. Is goulet #6 still the best bang for buck when it comes to nibs? Any suggestions on the type of nib? Also any alternatives to goulet would be appreciated since they seem to be out of stock a lot of the time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Nemosine, Levenger and Edison all sell compatible #6 nibs

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I tried to make an ink u using a heavy mix of potassium permanganate.
It doesn't work well, oh well

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

KingColliwog posted:

I have a few pilot metro and I want one pen with a larger capacity so I don't have to fill the drat things a million times a week when I'm grading papers.

Is the TWSBI 580 a good pick? Should I get a VAC 700 instead? Any other similarly priced (100$ canadian being the most I could consider spending)

Empty cartridges and a blunt syringe will give you a much larger ink capacity in the Metro.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Heath posted:

Empty cartridges and a blunt syringe will give you a much larger ink capacity in the Metro.

I'd prefer to go with a more "legit" way of having more ink. I do not mind buying a new pen, I have some money I received for xmas and was looking for something fun to buy anyway. Anyone knows how the two pens I mentioned compare to a pilot metro squeeze converter?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

A 580 will hold about 4x the ink, a Vac 700 about 10x. I'd suggest you try a Vac out before you buy if that's what you like, a lot of people find it uncomfortable.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TWSBI is also about to introduce a slightly redesigned Vac 700 called the Vac 700R. So it might be worth waiting for that if the vacuum filler is more your speed.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

KingColliwog posted:

I'd prefer to go with a more "legit" way of having more ink. I do not mind buying a new pen, I have some money I received for xmas and was looking for something fun to buy anyway. Anyone knows how the two pens I mentioned compare to a pilot metro squeeze converter?

I refill Pilot cartridges with no issues. It’s super legit actually, and my Vanishing Point lasts a lot longer than it would with a CON-40.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

After owning a 700 and trying a mini I'd go for the Vac Mini. Still loads of capacity, but nicer in hand.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Thx for all the answers. 4x the ink seems plenty for my needs and the 580 has overwhelmingly positive reviews online. I'm probably jumping on it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just got a cheap Binary ABC 159, which seems to be a re-branded Jinhao 159 (without any re-branding, wtf?) for like $8 as an amazon add-on to an order and it actually writes pretty nice as far as I can tell, along with some waterman serenity blue. They make a pretty good combo for less than $20 for a big heavy pen. That comes with a converter already installed.

I might even like it more than my metro. Is this thing going to basically just going to leak/fall apart on me at some point?

pictured with the little felt case it came with and a metro for size comparison.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I'm going to attempt an eyedropper conversion of a couple jinhao 599.

They are transparent so I think it will be cool. I've heard about some problems with the tops having holes in them.

If anyone has pictures of the holes or thoughts I am all ears

rio
Mar 20, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

The TWSBI Eco is a great and inexpensive choice. I like the stub, personally. The Vac 700 is great too but the Eco actually performs better for me and has a massive ink supply.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I received my ASA Maya today. I'm in love with this pen. It's the perfect size, weight, and balance for me, and the ASA nib is surprisingly excellent! It's a standard #6 so I have plenty of options to replace it. I'm going to buy a JoWo 3-in-1 model soon, but I just picked up the ED version to see if the size is right.

You can find better/more pictures on FPN, but:

(please ignore my mediocre handwriting)

Comfy as heck. Filled completely with Diamine Mozart, it's 17.85g uncapped, 26.84g capped. It's a little backheavy for me when posted, but it posts to an acceptable depth (TWSBI Eco for comparison):

One point of criticism is that the trim band closest to the opening of the cap is pretty loose. It doesn't feel like it's going to come off - there's a little shelf there - but it doesn't sit snugly in its groove. That's perfectly fine for a $20 ebonite pen.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

KingColliwog posted:

Thx for all the answers. 4x the ink seems plenty for my needs and the 580 has overwhelmingly positive reviews online. I'm probably jumping on it.

I recently bought a 580, and I love it! Great Pen!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Jestery posted:

They are transparent so I think it will be cool. I've heard about some problems with the tops having holes in them.

This is the barrel of a 599. See the gigantic rear end holes at the top of the barrel? They're molded in. Trying to turn one in to an eyedropper is going to be nearly impossible.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

grack posted:

This is the barrel of a 599. See the gigantic rear end holes at the top of the barrel? They're molded in. Trying to turn one in to an eyedropper is going to be nearly impossible.

I see, looks putting in a small (3D printed?) plug with super glue might be the best idea if I have my heart set.

Thanks for the pic,I think I'll persevere and report back here where I have them in hand.

In

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Jestery posted:

But. Why though?

Just do an eyedropper conversion of a Preppy. Way easier and better nibs than the 599s in my experience anyway.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I received my ASA Maya today. I'm in love with this pen.
You convinced me, I got the 3-in-1 version with a Jowa 1.5mm nib.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Arcsech posted:

But. Why though?

Just do an eyedropper conversion of a Preppy. Way easier and better nibs than the 599s in my experience anyway.

The plastic 599 nibs are much better than Preppys. The metal 599 nibs are worse.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

howe_sam posted:

TWSBI is also about to introduce a slightly redesigned Vac 700 called the Vac 700R.

Have you got a link for this info? Can't see it on the Twsbi Facebook page.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Goulet has it on their site at least

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Arcsech posted:

But. Why though?

Because Im a fountain pen newbie, wanted a cool looking pen and got four demonstrator 599s for $7 so I figured I'll give it a shot. I'll be able to eye up the feasibility of it proper when I get it in my hands.

The preppy looks a little weird for me. I do want that sloshing ink look though

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Slimchandi posted:

Have you got a link for this info? Can't see it on the Twsbi Facebook page.
Goulet's been talking it up on their Youtube channel for the past two weeks.
700R

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Arcsech posted:

But. Why though?

This. Eyedropper Preppys own. It feels cheap as poo poo but performs really well - the freebie I got from Noodler's has never been maintained or anything and it starts right away even if it hasn't been used for months.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

rio posted:

This. Eyedropper Preppys own. It feels cheap as poo poo but performs really well - the freebie I got from Noodler's has never been maintained or anything and it starts right away even if it hasn't been used for months.

Ditto. I've got Whaleman's Sepia in mine which is finnicky as gently caress and I can just pick it up use it after months sitting in a drawer.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The only problem with an eyedropper preppy is that it holds too much ink ;) so I don't get to switch colors very often. When I started, I was sure I was going to eyedropper convert everything, but now that I have a bunch of Preppys I mostly just refill the cartridges so I can play with more ink samples.

Some notes about o-rings for eyedropper conversion:

taqueso posted:

Regarding O-rings, everywhere I looked said to get 1/4" ID 1/16" wide o-rings. Those worked OK, but they are so big that they protrude quite a bit on a preppy and are too big to work reliably on a thin pen. I found that M1x8mm and M1x6mm are much slimmer and work nicely. They don't mess with the lines of the pen so much and can be compressed by tightening the threads without popping out of the groove.. M1x6 is good for slim pens like the Platinum Carbon Brush Pen, and M1x8 for wider pens like a preppy.

M1x6
M1x8
Silicone grease

taqueso fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 18, 2017

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cam confirm 599 nibs are garbagr, I have a 599 that sits empty until I decide to renib it.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Order with Musubi went thru it should ship on monday! Chose Dragonfly in natural because my family has a special relation with this insect and the natural looked just great. Pretty happy cannot wait to get it!!

I have to confess I am mighty impressed with the Hero pens. Much more reliable than the jinhao ones. My 901 looks great (very bling but not too too much), feels great in hand and I cannot believe how smooth the nib is. I am liking this 10 can$ shipped pen a lot more then many more expensive pens I own. I ordered 2 more for backup/gifts or to see if I got some anti-lemon of a pen and the others are poo poo.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

bobfather posted:

I refill Pilot cartridges with no issues. It’s super legit actually, and my Vanishing Point lasts a lot longer than it would with a CON-40.

What's the best kind of syringe to use for refilling Pilot cartridges, and can I buy one online?

I'm not super comfortable with lurking around a pharmacy trying to score a needle for my "special project."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Just search for blunt tip syringe. You can buy them just about everywhere, Goulet sells a branded two pack for five bucks.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Trustworthy posted:

What's the best kind of syringe to use for refilling Pilot cartridges, and can I buy one online?

I'm not super comfortable with lurking around a pharmacy trying to score a needle for my "special project."

Given the size of these no one in it's right mind would think you intent to shoot drugs in your veins with it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Just ordered a 580 and an Eco in med and fine. Let's hope I like them and have to fill them up a lot less regularly than my metro.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Trustworthy posted:

I think I bought a pack of 5 inkjet cartridge refill syringes for $3 on Ebay. They have a huge capacity and super long needles.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

Amazon has tons of options. Or just ask the pharmacy for a blunt-tipped syringe, because it's obvious that you can't shoot up with that. Or just say it's for filling pens with ink you big baby, cause it's going to make them think you're a nerd, not some weird terrorist drug dealer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So, something I just learned: if you put a Platinum Preppy with the colored nib into an ultrasonic cleaner, it strips the coloring off the nib and leaves the bare stainless steel underneath.

Not something I really care about seeing as it's a $4 pen but something to be aware of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

KingColliwog posted:

Just ordered a 580 and an Eco in med and fine. Let's hope I like them and have to fill them up a lot less regularly than my metro.

Everyone should own at least one TWSBI. They're so user-friendly and -serviceable that they're nice to have even if you only want to take them apart. The piston mechanism is nice and smooth (and if yours is anything less than buttery, lube it up) and the overall feeling, even of the Eco, is of a very well built inexpensive pen. The 580 definitely has more of a premium feeling, as it's made of better plastic and it's easy to tell. I still wouldn't call it premium, though. Hey, whatever happened to the 850?

Does anyone here have experience with the Wing Sung 698? It's an original Chinese design, a piston filler for $20. I really like the piston knob's locking mechanism. They use old Pilot tooling to make the nib, which I hear is pretty alright - but there are only a few reviews out there.