Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So most people probably don't remember this but about a year or so ago I had an issue with some YouTube channel straight ripping and uploading my videos to his channel and had to send a DMCA. I posted about it in the thread and basically the guy backed down and said he wouldn't do it again etc.

Now I'm doing some stuff with a group and its mostly esports related but the exact same dude from a year ago (we'll call him Doug) did the same thing again but with our tournament content etc. So a guy (we'll call him Steve) from our group went to him and told him to gently caress off, take it down etc. and the offender started whinging about this and that and how "I (Steve) was just trying to get this exposure and its insane their head video guy (which is me, not Steve) and he made all sorts of crazy demands :reddit:" so when I caught wind I called him out on having never spoken to him about this specific incident. So then he changed his tune to "Oh I was given permission by the game devs to use their content so that's what I did here", which is like not at all the same since we're a third party and he's using all of our content verbatim etc. Then on top of that he started to go on about how our YouTube thumbnails aren't good and that its OK for him to do this which is an even more idiotic argument. This guy is suck a fuckstick its hilarious.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
My impression with the youtube heroes stuff is that the thing that really pisses the creators off is the promise that youtube heroes will actually be able to contact google, something the more successful creators have been after unsuccessfully for years, and it feels like a slap in the face that subtitle writers (which if you look at the points rewarded is what they're really after) will get a golden phone to talk to youtube/google about problems.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You know as i'm watching Markiplier play the new FNAF game, i envision making a game kind of like one of the FNAF games but with some kind of build in audio detection. So that really loud and annoying people trying to play the game won't be able to get anywhere with it and they'd never be able to figure out why.

Well, at least until a few hours out and people figure out it's an unstreamable mess and dismiss my lovely FNAF clone, but i think it would still be a funny idea :v:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You know as i'm watching Markiplier play the new FNAF game, i envision making a game kind of like one of the FNAF games but with some kind of build in audio detection. So that really loud and annoying people trying to play the game won't be able to get anywhere with it and they'd never be able to figure out why.

Well, at least until a few hours out and people figure out it's an unstreamable mess and dismiss my lovely FNAF clone, but i think it would still be a funny idea :v:

You mean Stifled?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6FlnZGWk3M

(Okay it's more Amnesia than FNAF, but same idea)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Oh that's totally neat! No idea there was the one game, let alone 2 with the same kind of premise.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

While watching him play I want to make a game that'll have timers explicitly to trigger when LP'ers try to do wacky "but I don't want to!" moments. Maybe insert a witty game over screen about hurrying it up. First video he spends a few combined minutes just going "I don't want to do thing that progresses the game!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Funnily enough, the new Five Nights At Freddy's has multiples of those.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Not enough for Mark to sit for half a minute going "How about I don't shock the robot?" a few times :colbert:. Also how can anyone be scared of that game, with the sarcastic robot and its work safety jabs and hilarious broken keypad how can I be in any state of mind that isn't "This is so cheesy"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I watched a full playthrough of the game and it's probably the scariest one yet! If only because it doesn't involve sitting in one room and waiting for the spookies to come to you. It's more tense than actually frightening, but for more reasons than "a spooky might pop out" this time around. The new one demonstrates more depth to the writing than the others have, both in terms of the sarcastic VO robot and the actual animatronics themselves talking. It has made a decisively good step away from being Horror Game Facecam Let's Player bait.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I don't think it's available for download, but someone modded Todd Howard into Skyrim.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Why yes, let's punish people for being immersed enough in the game to have a reaction and being indecisive, just to spite people that don't play videogames the way we like it, that seems a reasonable thing to do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, for the FNAF cases I'm speaking of, the game pretty much tells you "do this or you're gonna die" and then inspires that feeling of "but I don't wanna", and then if you don't you die. Which is fair game imo because, I mean, they did tell you it was going to happen. The feeling of indecision is part of the tension.

edit: Normally I wouldn't be for punishing indecision because in most games it's your choice to sit around and do nothing if you want... but in a horror game, sure, it's completely understandable. The best way to make sure the player feels like they don't have the luxury of time is to just not give them the luxury of time.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 9, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Man, I wonder if he's gonna stop before he's made more games than Kingdom Hearts has or what.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

RareAcumen posted:

Man, I wonder if he's gonna stop before he's made more games than Kingdom Hearts has or what.

In the time it took you to type this and me to reply he's released 5 more.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Pyroi posted:

In the time it took you to type this and me to reply he's released 5 more.

Do any of them have mathematical equations for subtitles like Kingdom Hearts?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They're all nowhere near Nancy Drew, anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

They're all nowhere near Nancy Drew, anyway.

I'm mildly embarrassed that my go-to example of a game series that has a long release record is Kingdom Hearts and not, y'know, something like Crash Bandicoot.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The thing that trumps Kingdom Hearts is that all the games are on a huge range of platforms and all of them are canon. Even the cellphone one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

The latest one ends with a hint that there's gonna be another one via a recurring television soap opera about a vampire and his wife, shattering the fourth wall to pieces in the final 10 seconds of the game, so I'd assume there's gonna be at least one more.

edit: And even then, in order to get this hint you have to complete a secret minigame that randomly triggers when you die, break sequence in the final night and go to a secret area via a keycard given to you by the minigame, play a reproduction of the final night of FNAF 1 with this game's spookies, and survive till 6 am.

And even then, if you brighten the image on the final screen before the credits:

You had to do super hard optional poo poo only to get the alternate non-canon ending just to see this hint.
I like the cut of Scott Cawthon's jib!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 9, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Dude, put some spoiler tags on that, some of us are still playing :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The day I apologize for spoiling a five nights at freddy's game is the day I admit that I have nothing left to live for. I tagged it anyway though in case you're not joking because who knows, some aspiring facecam horror game let's player might eventually come to this thread someday and they might see it and then their career will never take off!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 9, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The day I apologize for spoiling a five nights at freddy's game is the day I admit that I have nothing left to live for.

Spoiler tags coming in in 5... 4... 3...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alexeythegreat posted:

Spoiler tags coming in in 5... 4... 3...

Joke's on you! I can put spoiler tags on while also remaining very pleased that I spoiled the game for someone somewhere!

i want to die i am empty inside

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Joke's on you! I can put spoiler tags on while also remaining very pleased that I spoiled the game for someone somewhere!

i want to die i am empty inside

Don't worry, a robot will smash your head in and crawl inside

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CJacobs posted:

The day I apologize for spoiling a five nights at freddy's game is the day I admit that I have nothing left to live for. I tagged it anyway though in case you're not joking because who knows, some aspiring facecam horror game let's player might eventually come to this thread someday and they might see it and then their career will never take off!

Just because you dislike a game doesn't mean it's not a massive dick move to post unprompted, untagged spoilers about it within days of it coming out. Come on

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, you were being serious. Whoops

edit: Also I did say I liked the game a couple posts up from that one. Lesson learned, it is not a good idea to try and guess what things people will and will not care about being spoiled. Because there is always someone who cares.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 9, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Danaru posted:

Just because you dislike a game doesn't mean it's not a massive dick move to post unprompted, untagged spoilers about it within days of it coming out. Come on

Spoilers don't matter and if they do to you you're a big babby hth

oh huh, hth is no longer wordfiltered. That's sad.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Genocyber posted:

Spoilers don't matter and if they do to you you're a big babby hth

That's pretty stupid to say when twist endings and all that exist. Though you don't even need that for spoiling stuff to be a pretty assy thing to do.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

That's pretty stupid to say when twist endings and all that exist. Though you don't even need that for spoiling stuff to be a pretty assy thing to do.

"No, I have opinions on how people have to enjoy things and I'm going to force that same way of enjoying it on everyone. And if they complain I'm going to call them stupid weenies."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't care how other people enjoy things. But don't complain if you get spoiled on something and it ruins your fun, cause that's entirely on you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not that it really changes much, but in this case the thing I spoiled seemed like a pretty safe thing to spoil because it's something that you really really have to go out of your way to see in the first place. To the point where the reason i even mentioned it is because you have to already know it exists to know what to do to find it without just guessing. :shrug:

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
The worst thing you can ever do on this earth is suggest that someone show the slightest bit of consideration for others.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
poor CJacobs

he can't win nuthin'

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CJacobs posted:

Not that it really changes much, but in this case the thing I spoiled seemed like a pretty safe thing to spoil because it's something that you really really have to go out of your way to see in the first place. To the point where the reason i even mentioned it is because you have to already know it exists to know what to do to find it without just guessing. :shrug:

Yeah I didn't really mean in your case there, just meant like in general to what Genocyber was saying.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

A couple years back there was an lper who self banned from sa because he didn't want to be part of a site that allowed transphobic jokes (at the time there was a bunch of straight up "I'd murder them with their purse" style "jokes" and other comments, pimarily in gbs of course but still)

Been trying to find his videos but I can't remember his name. I think it started with an h. Lastt thing I remember him doing was some shoddy Russian horror game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Garrand posted:

A couple years back there was an lper who self banned from sa because he didn't want to be part of a site that allowed transphobic jokes (at the time there was a bunch of straight up "I'd murder them with their purse" style "jokes" and other comments, pimarily in gbs of course but still)

Been trying to find his videos but I can't remember his name. I think it started with an h. Lastt thing I remember him doing was some shoddy Russian horror game.

Do you mean Habermann? I was going to link his channel, but it looks like it's been deleted.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Garrand posted:

That was Habermann. He doesn't do let's plays anymore since his LP group disbanded but you can still find some of his old LPs on the LP Archive.
Note that you will need to watch the videos via the Internet Archive (link helpfully provided at the top of each LP's main page on the LP archive) as his Youtube channel's been deleted.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Max Wilco posted:

Do you mean Habermann? I was going to link his channel, but it looks like it's been deleted.

Well gently caress, that makes me sad. I'd lost track of him after he left SA since I don't really follow much outside of it, but I liked his videos. Hope everything's going ok.

dijon du jour posted:

That was Habermann. He doesn't do let's plays anymore since his LP group disbanded but you can still find some of his old LPs on the LP Archive.
Note that you will need to watch the videos via the Internet Archive (link helpfully provided at the top of each LP's main page on the LP archive) as his Youtube channel's been deleted.

I always forget about the internet archive site despite having used it for several similar situations in the past. Thank you.

e: actually it looks like the only LP that got archived there was Rogue Warrior. :(

Garrand fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 10, 2016

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Garrand posted:

e: actually it looks like the only LP that got archived there was Rogue Warrior. :(

Ah, dang. That was the only one I checked and assumed the others were backed up too.

Does anyone know how the process of videos going into the Internet Archive works, anyway? Is it like getting into the LP Archive where the creator has to request it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Arkannoyed posted:

The worst thing you can ever do on this earth is suggest that someone show the slightest bit of consideration for others.

Aeris dies

• Locked thread