Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Ddraig posted:

Nah, the timer was what made Dead Rising unique and not just another 'kill a load of zombies' game. Sad to hear of its departure.

The timer made the game garbage and I'm glad to hear it go.

Dead rising is unique because you can slaughter zombies in your unicorn hat and underwear not because of some terrible game mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kragger99 posted:

I'm really enjoying Dead Rising 3. Don't feel the constant pressure of having to do this now, but no, I have to do this instead, and while I start doing that 5 more things pop up that I feel I need to do. DR3 is allowing me to go collect the blueprints, and other collectibles while still saving survivors, and also doing story missions. I generally hate timed games and I'm an analyst, so I'm always over-thinking about the best approach, thus wasting time.
The only thing I'm disliking with DR3 is having to go back and forth across the map through massive mobs of zombies so much. Yes the custom vehicles help, but some sort of fast travel (maybe unlocked by completing challenges) would have been nice.

Yeah I am surprise there no fast travel point in the game (far as I know). Dead Rising 1 and 2 had a fast travel spot in them that jumps you from one side of the map to the other.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, RE 5 & 6 are absolutely built around co-op. If you play them solo, you're missing out on a lot. It's like playing Left 4 Dead in singleplayer: Possible, maybe even playable, but deeply unsatisfying.

The levels themselves are built around cooperative actions, like splitting paths and providing covering fire for each other, and the combat engine itself has a lot of co-op elements like tag team attacks.

That said, if anyone needs motivation to play or beat RE6 (example: me), hit me up on steam and we'll be zombie-kicking buddies :shobon:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Mr. Crow posted:

The timer made the game garbage and I'm glad to hear it go.

Dead rising is unique because you can slaughter zombies in your unicorn hat and underwear not because of some terrible game mechanic.

Is this a joke post or what.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The time mechanic in Dead Rising 1 and 2 was great. It actually freed you from trying to do everything. Once you realized that failure wasn't the end, you could just focus on exploring and improving your character until the time ran out or you died. Then the second time through you could try to just finish the story missions, or just save people.

Those games were meant to be experienced in multiple fairly short playthroughs, with you gaining an understanding of the locations and the timing of events. Horror Groundhog Day.

Dead Rising 3 technically lets you turn that back on but it also changes several mechanics to make it a generic harder difficulty mode.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Ddraig posted:

Is this a joke post or what.

I've never tried DR1 or 2 because the timer sounds unfun and unnecessarily restrictive. Some people don't like being pressured to do stuff quickly in their open-world zombie games? :shrug:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Those games were meant to be experienced in multiple fairly short playthroughs, with you gaining an understanding of the locations and the timing of events. Horror Groundhog Day.
See, I hate the timer too (having only played 2/OTR) but you described in a better way than the game ever did. The way they put it was more of a "well you suck, you failed. You get to keep your levels as a consolation prize."

edit: not having fast travel points in a game as long as the timer is off and I can simply run past 95% of zombies or just pick up something and wail of them is pretty fun so I don't mind schlepping it or just wandering around Fortune City.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Lance Streetman posted:

I've never tried DR1 or 2 because the timer sounds unfun and unnecessarily restrictive. Some people don't like being pressured to do stuff quickly in their open-world zombie games? :shrug:

Then maybe they should play a different game? I mean, the entire premise of Dead Rising is, as said before, Horror Groundhog's Day. The major appeal of the game was that the world carried on without you. You could spend the entire time sitting on the helipad if you wanted, and that was fine. The game didn't give a gently caress what you were doing or where you were, when things were going to happen they would happen irregardless of whether or not you were prepared.

Capcom are (or rather were, if what I've heard about Dead Rising 3 is true, as well as some of their more recent games) pretty good at creating unique gaming experiences. Dead Rising is an incredibly unique game, because of its cold indifference to the player and utter refusal to make any concessions. You have to get good, or you're going to get bad endings. The cultists will always show up, the army will always show up etc. the only thing you can do is prepare yourself and take it on the chin when it happens.

If I wanted to play an open world game where I get freedom to beat up as many mindless, faceless drones in creative ways that I desire the market is literally flooded with them. Unique games like Dead Rising don't need to fit that mold.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So anyone who has They Bleed Pixels and couldn't run it or was unhappy with its performance, the devs just released a tech beta that makes the game run on something else, and adds some graphics options. It's a pretty fun game.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Then maybe they should play a different game? I mean, the entire premise of Dead Rising is, as said before, Horror Groundhog's Day.

I'm pretty sure the premise, and the selling point, is that you can mow down thousands of zombies on a trike while cosplaying as a servbot in a sundress. I can't think of a game that delivers that same experience, and I'd love to try that without having it go "tsk tsk tsk" when I don't do things perfectly.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
TF2 is all about the hats. I mean, it's the best hat simulator on the market. I wish they would remove that stupid FPS gimmick it just gets in the way :smith:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lance Streetman posted:

It really isn't. The thing I don't get is why people don't like to fail. This is one of the core aspects of Dead Rising. You die? Game over. You either start over from the last checkpoint or you start all over. I will admit, the save aspects sorta of suck in the first game because you had to find a restroom stall to save in and that can get you some situations where you probably won't make it. I dunno maybe the fact that even if you start over? You keep your stats. So say you died while Frank was level 10? Start over and you keep that. I guess I like the aspect of you dying and you slow keep getting better and better at it. Saving those survivors is completely optional and you shouldn't try to do it one try because the game wants you to learn how to plan out your routes. The thing is, it's a timed event but it's not random. LIke such and such survivor will be in this store at this time, and even though it requires some trial and error you can find a way to get to that person.

I did find it very satisfying when I got everyone and saved them.

I just guess I didn't take death/game over has a hindrance in the dead rising. It felt a little roguish like in the sense of OH... well guess I"ll just have to do better next time and whup some rear end.

There is something satisfying like being killed by a psycho and then coming back a bit more stronger and wiping the floor with them.

That and suplexing zombies.

Or doing the Spinning lariat.

Or ripping the guts out.

edit: So what if the time runs out? Big deal, you can still fool around. The game just basically goes, well you aren't gonna get the best ending, but if you still wanna fool around doing silly poo poo be my guest. I think you got it wrong that it's about mowing zombies like hell. That's the quickest way to die because you will always get grabbed or bitten.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 13, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

I'm pretty sure the premise, and the selling point, is that you can mow down thousands of zombies on a trike while cosplaying as a servbot in a sundress. I can't think of a game that delivers that same experience, and I'd love to try that without having it go "tsk tsk tsk" when I don't do things perfectly.

It doesn't though. If you want to go murder zombies on a trike while cosplaying, it says go right ahead, and encourages it. 8-9 hours later depending on the game it'll ask you if you want to leave the game world and start over, or if you want to die in the mall/city before starting over.

Hell, you can also save all survivors/kill all psychopaths while loving around with no problems as well. The second one of the timers drops, the tension disappears completely, and it becomes super easy to 100% the two other sides of the game.

That's the thing though, there are four things you can do in the game, and without knowing where things are/secret paths, you can only do three of them per playthrough. Once you know everything you can do all four easily. So do you want to save everyone/learn the truth/gently caress around? You totally can! Just skip all the psychopaths that don't block survivors/shortcuts. Do you want to save everyone/kill all the psychopaths/see the story? You totally can! You'll just have no time to gently caress around. Do you want to save everyone/kill all psychopaths/gently caress around a bunch? Then just fail the first Case File. Hell, you can still give Zombrex to Katey in DR2 while failing the main quest, you'll just be arrested at the end.

The games are amazingly lenient in how things are set up. Literally the only restriction is "you can't complete 100% of the content on your first playthrough, some stuff is NG+" and even that's not set in stone. If you are good enough at video games/learn the paths fast enough, you CAN 100% the game on your first playthrough no problems, and still have free time to go gently caress around in.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lance Streetman posted:

People keep saying this, but you never actually need to care about the timer. You can totally ignore the main game and keep going and still get an ending. On the flip side, if you don't think you can save a bunch of survivors and get on with the story, then ignore them. It took me three or four attempts to complete the story in DR1. Your level and stats and unlocks all carry over. The only real game overs are if you die, let the mall explode, or get captured by the military. I never did get Saint though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Zombies were also the least interesting enemies in the entire game and the most loving tedious reward/achievement in the first game were all centered around killing them.

There's only so much novelty to be had killing brainless, mindless drones. In Dead Rising they were literally just filler, a convenient plot element to add some tension to getting around the mall while you got to the real meat of the game which was rescuing survivors, fighting psychopaths and doing the case files. To make the point that they were literally just mindless fleshbags that you would quickly get bored of killing they introduced the cultists fairly early on which were a variation that made the mindless tedium less tedious

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Store sale deals today:

South Park: The Stick of Truth - $19.99 (lowest price yet)
Paper Sorcerer - $0.99
Always Sometimes Monsters - $4.99
Stealth Bastard Deluxe - $0.99
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs - $6.79
Influx - $1.99
Hotline Miami - $2.49
You Don't Know Jack Collection - $3.99
Night of the Rabbit - $4.99
Space Hulk - $6.24
Doorkickers - $8.99
Trine Enchanted Edition - $1.49
Walking Dead: 400 Days - $1.24

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 13, 2014

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Ddraig is correct is his assessment of dead rising. Anyone who got their rocks off from killing hordes of zombies and didn't understand that the real meat of the game was working around the time constraints and figuring out the best ways to save survivors is better off playing a Dynasty Warriors game or something. I think Dead Rising is probably the best zombie game ever made, and it's the things that don't involve cutting zombies in half that makes it memorable.

I don't understand why people feel pressured by the timer outside of some weird OCD compulsion to be on time they may have. When you fail a case the game doesn't end for a reason.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dead Rising 1 also had a pretty loving awesome soundtrack. If I remember rightly, pretty much all the music was done by fairly unknowns which is another unique aspect the game had going for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN1dGuePcWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDeThz30JtQ

The second one is very triggering for anyone who's played Dead Rising.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Paper Sorcerer - $0.99
Influx - $1.99
Hotline Miami - $2.49
Space Hulk - $6.24
Doorkickers - $8.99

UK screwed by regional pricing once again.

South Park: £19.99 = $32.50 :smith:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, recently released on Steam is J.U.L.I.A: Among The Stars. A remake of a rather notably flawed sci-fi point and click adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuABNdxq-QI

The twist in the tale is that a few reviewers I know that are super-picky about their adventure games have nothing but gushing praise for this remake. Every complaint from reviews seems addressed. I might have to give it a stab sometime myself. 100% positive reviews on Steam itself so far, too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ddraig posted:

Dead Rising 1 also had a pretty loving awesome soundtrack. If I remember rightly, pretty much all the music was done by fairly unknowns which is another unique aspect the game had going for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN1dGuePcWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDeThz30JtQ

I love how they got the second band there to do the credits for OTR. Behold, the ballad of Frank West.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G_1Tv1vVA4

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Please never post this song ever again thank you.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Paper Sorcerer - $0.99
Influx - $1.99
Hotline Miami - $2.49
Space Hulk - $6.24
Doorkickers - $8.99

so I guess humble sales follow the steam sale purchasing logic: if it's not a featured sale wait until the last day. bought paper sorcerer on day one when it was 2.50

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I know what you mean. Every time I hear it I just think of that time when I had six survivors following me and decided to cut across the park and then I heard that douchebag tune playing.

e: Yeah, I also happen to think Dead Rising is the best zombie game ever made. They really understood that the premise of a good piece of zombie fiction is that zombies, despite all appearances, are not the most important part. They're just a narrative device that is never going away while the real action is focused on the people that have to deal with the complete breakdown of society and lawlessness. Some people, like Frank West, manage quite well... others not so much.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 13, 2014

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The timer in DR1 was nothing compared to the fear of crossing park in the middle of the mall and trying to avoid the truck of convicts. Especially the first time being low level.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There was also that bug that was never fixed, I think, where they would respawn after you kill them.

I hope they re-release Dead Rising on the PC at some point, and I hope they fix that bug.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I didn't like Dead Rising (Off the Record) because I could break all of my weapons in about five seconds, which made me lose any interest in finding/assembling new ones. I also didn't think the boss fights were very fun, although the cutscenes were (sometimes) funny. I played through the whole thing in co-op with a friend of mine and both of us were happy to be done with it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

YOURFRIEND posted:

Ddraig is correct is his assessment of dead rising. Anyone who got their rocks off from killing hordes of zombies and didn't understand that the real meat of the game was working around the time constraints and figuring out the best ways to save survivors is better off playing a Dynasty Warriors game or something. I think Dead Rising is probably the best zombie game ever made, and it's the things that don't involve cutting zombies in half that makes it memorable.

I don't understand why people feel pressured by the timer outside of some weird OCD compulsion to be on time they may have. When you fail a case the game doesn't end for a reason.

This reads very much like "how dare you play and enjoy the game differently to how I play it"

I enjoyed dead rising but also felt the timer gimmick stopped a good game becoming a great game.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

YOURFRIEND posted:

The DR2 time management is an interesting feature that clashed with the sandbox, screw around with zombies gameplay that the series is known for (or at least marketed as.) If the game advertises itself for zany zombie fun, at least give a sandbox mode.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Awesome! posted:

so I guess humble sales follow the steam sale purchasing logic: if it's not a featured sale wait until the last day. bought paper sorcerer on day one when it was 2.50
I guess so.

Also, not steam, but GOG's been doing a sale of their own, going through each year of their catalog each day, so today there's games like Kentucky Route Zero for $12.49, Octodad Dadliest Catch for $5, Jazzpunk for $5, and Tower of Guns for $5.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Mega Comrade posted:

This reads very much like "how dare you play and enjoy the game differently to how I play it"

I enjoyed dead rising but also felt the timer gimmick stopped a good game becoming a great game.

You aren't playing it differently. You are allowing features of the game to get in the way of your enjoyment for no apparent reason.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Marketing isn't a very good indicator of what a game is like. Brutal Legend is a good example of this.

Also you can kill Zombies to your heart's content if you like, I'd just prefer it if the unique aspects of the game weren't neutered to turn it into another open world snoozefest.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Basically if you're the OCD type who has to 100% every game in one playthrough, you're going to hate Dead Rising because even though it's possible, it's just not very fun. You're supposed to dick around, learn the layout of the maps and what items are in which locations, maybe level up a bit and then go for a 100% run when you're ready.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

YOURFRIEND posted:

You aren't playing it differently. You are allowing features of the game to get in the way of your enjoyment for no apparent reason.

A feature that gets in the way of enjoyment is a bad feature.

Look, clearly some people really enjoyed the timer and felt it added value but more often than not I've heard people complain about it. They should have offered a game mode without it then everyone would have been happy.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I dunno I find the sandbox mode in DR2:OTR fairly boring.

Sure I can ride down the strip two or three times on a tricycle with a unicorn head. But one or two trips down the strip and it's boring. The zombies don't do anything but just die, once I see what the 20-some combo weapons do that novelty kind if fades too. The game also doesn't save the crap you have left around and you can't really alter the environment. I just don't see how you can have more than 15 minutes of entertainment from just killing zombies in DR2 sandbox mode.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Look, clearly some people really enjoyed the timer and felt it added value but more often than not I've heard people complain about it. They should have offered a game mode without it then everyone would have been happy.

There are two game modes without it. If you let the timer expire in the main campaign the game continues anyway - you just won't get the Super Happy ending - and there's a survival mode where there's no time limit, but items don't respawn, so you've got a finite number of health and ammo and weapon drops to last with.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Mega Comrade posted:

A feature that gets in the way of enjoyment is a bad feature.

It in no way prohibits you from playing the game as you wish. Fail the first case, do whatever you please. Nothing is lost. People complain about the timer because gamers are by and large OCD idiots with no ability to appreciate what makes something good or bad. The topic has been beaten to death and I am finished with it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I just don't think it sounds like fun, and none of the arguments I've heard have done anything to change my mind. I don't like long-term timers in games because I like taking things at my own pace and not having to worry about taking too much time screwing around.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
This tune is not relaxing at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zceFErzseFk

I'm on the The Timer is What Made Dead Rising Good train too and I'm sad that DR3 wimped out on it. IMO I think DR1 and 2/OTR would of been dull as hell if you were just allowed to progress whenever you felt like it. It strips the game of any urgency.
I'll just go slaughter 5000 zombies before I go save that couple barely defending the book store, then I might stroll over to the plot where some guy has some evil plot going on, I'm sure he'll just wait for me :downs:

Nothing in the DR games stopped you from mindlessly murdering zombies for a few hours straight until the clearly telegraphed ending happened. Even most of the rescues weren't on too strict of a timer. Off the top of my head there's really no Save only Guy 1 or Guy 2 choices. But putting it all together with fighting all the Psychos, now you have to start thinking ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Lance Streetman posted:

I just don't think it sounds like fun, and none of the arguments I've heard have done anything to change my mind. I don't like long-term timers in games because I like taking things at my own pace and not having to worry about taking too much time screwing around.

Then don't play the game.

• Locked thread