Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Spiky Ooze posted:

Nothing wrong with being an indie dev though.

The idiotic thing is their social media presence where they reveal they think they are gods who can pass judgement on the world, whilst having no particular standards about their own behavior.

these are my exact feelings, given agency in the world of the living

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
You guys are still talking about this?

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Pirate Jet posted:

You care about this?

it's established that drive by asking if people care is done by people who care more

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

lovely Wizard posted:

You care about this?

it's established that drive by asking if people care is done by people who care more

That's a really weird and dumb statement, but whatever.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Pretty sure I saw Zoe Quinn at every Hot Topic or Spencer's I've ever had to go into for Christmas shopping

Gotta get dad that new pokemon retro shirt

retro vade, quinncucks

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Pirate Jet posted:

It's a really smart and not weird statement, but whatever.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Pirate Jet posted:

now to set the hook...

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

*farts in the thread* why are yall still in here it smells like farts

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The General posted:

If I cheat on my spouse, I am 100% to blame for that. I decided that it was a good idea, and I went and did it. It is my fault.

My spouse has nothing to gain by contacting the person I cheated with, other than a screaming fit that accomplishes nothing.

Even if you have an open marriage it seems like it would be better to tell women you are cheating vs revealing that you allow your wife to regularly cuckold you.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The General posted:

If I cheat on my spouse, I am 100% to blame for that. I decided that it was a good idea, and I went and did it. It is my fault.

My spouse has nothing to gain by contacting the person I cheated with, other than a screaming fit that accomplishes nothing.
I'd agree with this in most cases but if the person who my spouses cheated with was getting heralded as a bastion of feminism and social progress to the point where people gave them an extra 1200 a month for cheating on me I'd probably hate that person too.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

DrPlump posted:

Even if you have an open marriage it seems like it would be better to tell women you are cheating vs revealing that you allow your wife to regularly cuckold you.

If you're a guy in an open relationship, it's easier to just tell people that you're cheating on your spouse. Cause then you get manly points, and not "What the gently caress is wrong with you?"

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

are goons getting cucked itt

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

I'd agree with this in most cases but if the person who my spouses cheated with was getting heralded as a bastion of feminism and social progress to the point where people gave them an extra 1200 a month for cheating on me I'd probably hate that person too.

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW

ArbitraryC posted:

add that to the fact that she's a rapist by her own definition

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
what was her definition of rape for those of us who don't want to forever poison our search history

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
^^^: Having sex with someone who wouldn't consent to the sex had they been informed of other things first. Basically sex under false pretenses, which isn't legally rape (at least in the US), but academically it does kind of make sense. In terms of legal cases, the only one I can think of where someone tried to employ this strategy was against julian assange, for saying he had a condom on but sneaking it off when the lights were off. It's still her own definition though so much like the cocks of everyone but her boyfriend, it's fair to hold it against her.

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

add that to the fact that she's a rapist by her own definition
Oh for sure, I just meant while I agree with "cheating is 100% on the cheater" in this particular case the accomplice is a public figure who is literally being awarded for her participation and I think that warrants a bit of blood boiling on the jilted lover's part.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 29, 2014

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

the gist was "I'm only giving consent to have sex with you if you don't have sex with anyone else, so if you cheat on me you're raping me."

Proceed to her cucking her bf with 5 guys.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

get your numbers and math right son she is making two thousand six hundred dollars per month

haha i am in the wrong line of business when u talk about effort per dollars

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Spiky Ooze posted:

Nothing wrong with being an indie dev though.

The idiotic thing is their social media presence where they reveal they think they are gods who can pass judgement on the world, whilst having no particular standards about their own behavior.

I agree. Indie devs are great. Other people are actually making games. Konjak.org is still making games. Mount and Blade Bannerlord is supposed to come out this year. That's all that matters. I've been reading this thread for a while, but man all this drama, and the articles and everything have zero impact on anything.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

canada jezus posted:

the gist was "I'm only giving consent to have sex with you if you don't have sex with anyone else, so if you cheat on me you're raping me."

Proceed to her cucking her bf with 5 guys.

Add in having unprotected sex with everyone (doing so with the ex just to hide the fact that she was cheating) and i think you have a good case for defining this as some sort of sexual assault.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Danger Mahoney posted:

get your numbers and math right son she is making two thousand six hundred dollars per month

haha i am in the wrong line of business when u talk about effort per dollars
She was already making like half that before the fiasco though. The rest came after she empowered women everywhere by cheating on her boyfriend with her boss.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

She was already making like half that before the fiasco though. The rest came after she empowered women everywhere by cheating on her boyfriend with her boss.

oic

poo poo this is a crazy world

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Borden posted:

all this drama, and the articles and everything have zero impact on anything.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

Add in having unprotected sex with everyone (doing so with the ex just to hide the fact that she was cheating) and i think you have a good case for defining this as some sort of sexual assault.

I don't know american (canadian?) law at all. I know in sweden it would probably be yes.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

canada jezus posted:

I don't know american (canadian?) law at all. I know in sweden it would probably be yes.

I was speaking morally rather than legally, but yeah, that's a good point. It definitely is sexual assault in America if you know you have an STD and have unprotected sex with someone.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Cinemablend ran a story on the FYC Game Jam. Here's their explanation for the attack directed at them on Feburary 28th:

quote:

Sadly, the original campaign was derailed and shutdown. I can openly say that The Fine Young Capitalists are back up and running after incurring several hack attacks and additional shutdown attempts by detractors. The iron will of those supporting the project refuse to let it die.

"I can openly say...". Writers don't include a phrase like that unless a gag order is involved.

When Vice Media ran a story on the charity event, they wrote this:

quote:

To add fuel (irrelevant fuel, but fuel nonetheless) to the fire, a Reddit user claimed that Quinn purposely sabotaged a female-centric “game jam,” sponsored by feminist group The Fine Young Capitalists, in order to promote her own female-centric game jam, Rebel Jam. Needless to say, this is not the kind of event that 4chan’s gaming community would get excited about. But they’d developed a taste for blood, and they saw an opportunity to make Quinn look bad...

The reddit user in question was SillySladar, one of the main organizers of the event.

The comments section on that article is being heavily moderated. It used to look like this.

When Techcrunch ran their article, they were deliberately vague.

quote:

This attack was not one of hackers looking to take on Indiegogo as a whole, but was related to a specific online controversy between gamers and their supporters which TFYC was involved in. The narrative involves Zoe Quinn, the game developer who was reportedly sexually harassed. Further details came out after news about her story hit that put her claims into question.

That has led to an ongoing mini-war between the two sides in this matter, which 4chan has also been involved in.

Nobody will discuss or investigate the attack from February 28th. No gaming website will discuss the FYC Game Jam at all, even on twitter or in comments sections.

And of course, this morning The Fine Young Capitalists posted their truce with Zoe Quinn.

quote:

Regarding our grievances with Zoe Quinn, an associate of hers, posted my Facebook information. Zoe did not add any information to the post, nor did she post my phone number or email. The subsequent death threat I received via email was not orchestrated by Zoe. Nor was the DDOSing of our website or the banning of us from Twitter. She was simply the most famous voice in a choir of people that did not understand the project.

I apologize to any reporter that may be interested in this story but if asked I will simply say “I do not recall exactly what happened.” So the conversation can end.

See this? This is one of the terms that Zoe made them agree to.

Still, no gaming websites are mentioning, or even acknowledging the existence of the FYC game jam. Nobody anywhere is to mention that the indie dev community attacked a charity organization on February 28th after Zoe Quinn identified them as a target.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Zoe Quinn is a bullshit person but I don't understand how 4chan thought they could "out" her without it driving tons of people to her side. It's like Mel Gibson trying to criticize Israel.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

satin666 posted:

i think that everyone should check out the randomly generated filename assigned to this picture ——  because itś probably the best one i seen on the entire web

Hahaha

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think all the people involved have too much free time on their hands. I would sentence them all to hard labor in a 3rd world country for a year to get some perspective.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I think all the people involved have too much free time on their hands. I would sentence them all to hard labor in a 3rd world country for a year to get some perspective.

Maybe they could use that life experience to make a video game

Dec 26, 2012

satin666 posted:

i think that everyone should check out the randomly generated filename assigned to this picture ——  because itś probably the best one i seen on the entire web

loving lol

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Ave Azaria posted:

Zoe Quinn is a bullshit person but I don't understand how 4chan thought they could "out" her without it driving tons of people to her side. It's like Mel Gibson trying to criticize Israel.

4chan (/v/ and /pol/ specifically) actually had a pretty effective strategy - no raids/doxxings, spread information via reddit and easily disseminated infographs. Because the games writers refused to report on the entire thing at all because they're all friends or friends of friends, the version that /v/ sent out became fact to reddit and all the other places.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

lovely Wizard posted:

4chan (/v/ and /pol/ specifically) actually had a pretty effective strategy - no raids/doxxings, spread information via reddit and easily disseminated infographs. Because the games writers refused to report on the entire thing at all because they're all friends or friends of friends, the version that /v/ sent out became fact to reddit and all the other places.
The infographs all looked loving crazy to normal people, and nobody gives a poo poo about game reviewers loving devs.

This and this are the things that got me to understand that Quinn's an awful person--not the trumped up accusations of feminazi conspiracy, but a personal account of psychological manipulation. Seeing a group that's stereotypically obsessed with games and sex making it about games and sex just made it look like hysteria.

Ave Azaria fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 29, 2014

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I don't think we're the ones digging up any info on this shitstorm, SA are just the old fogies sitting on the sidelines and watching and occasionally getting put on Do Not Support lists by MRAs/SJWs.

"SomethingAwful is neutral and isn't filled with social justice weirdos" is the conclusion I'd also come to if I had never seen PYF, Games, the WoW subforum, BSS, CineD, D&D, TradGames, GBS before last fall, and others.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Also does anybody have a link to Satin666's "welcome to the cuckolds clubhouse" post. I figured this would be the best place to ask.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Ave Azaria posted:

The infographs all looked loving crazy to normal people, and nobody gives a poo poo about game reviewers loving devs.

This and this are the things that got me to understand that Quinn's an awful person--not the trumped up accusations of feminazi conspiracy, but a personal account of psychological manipulation. Seeing a group that's stereotypically obsessed with games and sex making it about games and sex just made it look like hysteria.
If you dismissed sexual abuse accusations out of hand because they came from a guy then you're part of the problem here. The main reason this became such a shitstorm is because the social media presence took a bunch of legitimate complaints and wrote literally all of them off as misogyny.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

If you dismissed sexual abuse accusations out of hand because they came from a guy then you're part of the problem here. The main reason this became such a shitstorm is because the social media presence took a bunch of legitimate complaints and wrote literally all of them off as misogyny.
I didn't even know about the abuse. The narrative was "this woman hosed her way to good press, games journalism is corrupt & she is using her cuntfluence to silence the press about this story"

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

"SomethingAwful is neutral and isn't filled with social justice weirdos" is the conclusion I'd also come to if I had never seen PYF, Games, the WoW subforum, BSS, CineD, D&D, TradGames, GBS before last fall, and others.

this thread's an anomaly because all the other threads on SA about it got gassed or had blue stars show up to say "You aren't allowed to talk about this." also it was initially about "hey, there's this thread on /r/games/ with thousands of deleted replies, what the gently caress is that about"

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Ave Azaria posted:

here is some touchy feely social justice poo poo i found on that tumblr you linked.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s6j3sh

i agree with this person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Ave Azaria posted:

I didn't even know about the abuse. The narrative was "this woman hosed her way to good press, games journalism is corrupt & she is using her cuntfluence to silence the press about this story"
And that's mostly true? The reason you didn't here about the abuse is because despite it being well documented it was actively censored along with the rest of it.

This is a good opportunity to open your eyes to what the true face of social progressiveness is on the internet.

• Locked thread