Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WarpedNaba posted:

I can imagine, but unfortunately the process towards it involves grotesque, public examples of what happens to people who indulge in immeasurable greed.

Mostly it's just unfortunate because talking about how to change something is illegal on D&D. Pure whining, all day err day, that's us!

I expect when we try to string all the CEO's up the lamp posts will just droop down to the ground as they are made of lowest bid Chinese "steel" like most of our worthless infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

504 posted:

Its such a weird mindset, 10k is an actual investment to win the lottery.

But the odds are so bad that 10k makes absolutely no difference to your chances. What is the change? 50 billion to one down to 49.9995 billion to one?

:science: The actual odds of winning First division in lotto are one in 40C6 (choosing 6 from a set of 40 where order doesn't matter) which is about 1 in 3.8 million. At 60c per line of lotto you'd need to spend just over $2.3million to be guaranteed a 1st division win (i.e. buying enough tickets to have every possible combination).

Powerball is 10x that.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I sold lotto for a little while at a job and my main take away was that buying powerball was a really, really bad idea. If people want to spend a couple dollars a week on a few lines of basic lotto I don't see the harm but powerball is so much more expensive relatively and the odds are so much worse.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah but you can't get obscenely rich without it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imagine winning a million bucks. great, now maybe I own a house but I have to keep working for the rest of my life. you'd forever continue to wish you were way richer

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

echinopsis posted:

imagine winning a million bucks. great, now maybe I own a house but I have to keep working for the rest of my life. you'd forever continue to wish you were way richer

If I owned a house outright, I would be way richer - my income would pretty much double!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would be way richer too. But it won't help me realise my dream of never having to do something I don't want to do again

e: I won't be truly happy until my life is devoid of challenge

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 11, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If you wish to not be challenged by life first you must abandon wishing.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

If you wish to not be challenged by life first you must abandon wishing.

Dehumanize yourself and face to mediocrity

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I would be way richer too. But it won't help me realise my dream of never having to do something I don't want to do again

e: I won't be truly happy until my life is devoid of challenge

I had this problem too so I quit my job and sold a shitload of my garbage (read: vehicles) and started a business doing poo poo I actually want to do, but for money instead of fun. Not as ideal a solution as becoming a billionaire overnight and flying off to peru to snort coke off of an alpaca but still recommended.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Echi and his wives will be the happiest of us all

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I'm only good at one thing and one thing only and that's what I do and I loving hate it but hey gotta pay for dem kids and poo poo.

I don't have a mortgage so life ain't all that bad

Thanks John key

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can probably out debt most of you. And I only have one wife. The rest have been described as my "harem" but that's in contention

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Slavvy posted:

I had this problem too so I quit my job and sold a shitload of my garbage (read: vehicles) and started a business doing poo poo I actually want to do, but for money instead of fun. Not as ideal a solution as becoming a billionaire overnight and flying off to peru to snort coke off of an alpaca but still recommended.

I started doing Accounting because I wanted something stable to have while I tried doing Voice Acting.

Turns out there's not a very sizable market for VAs in NZ (And god help you if you want to try overseas stuff), most job position openings in professional VA stuff down here approximate to 'Someone died."

It kinda helps that I like Accounting. Nothing like getting a system in order.

edit: Aw man do you guys gotta talk about wives and poo poo, just as I was feeling good about myself.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I sold lotto and had the privilege of processing a couple of 1st division wins. The first time I managed to bin the ticket by muscle memory and hilarity ensued. The second time was a mega payout to two sisters, who appeared to be slightly less with-it than the media portrayal of the Ingham twins. I explained yes, it was was lot of money, that if they chose they could probably leave their factory jobs, that they should follow all the advice provided by the head office and they should be very very careful who they told about it. A year later I saw them again and they said that their family had fleeced them of the lot :smith: That is my lotto story thank you.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WarpedNaba posted:

I started doing Accounting because I wanted something stable to have while I tried doing Voice Acting.

Turns out there's not a very sizable market for VAs in NZ (And god help you if you want to try overseas stuff), most job position openings in professional VA stuff down here approximate to 'Someone died."

It kinda helps that I like Accounting. Nothing like getting a system in order.

edit: Aw man do you guys gotta talk about wives and poo poo, just as I was feeling good about myself.

one word my friend.... tinder

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I live alone in my wizard's tower debt and distraction free.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I share a flat with a friend and the amount of debt I would have to take on to buy a wizards tower of my own is unreal. I've even considered buying in Huntly. :smith:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I have an upstairs bedroom and play a lot of hearthstone, does that count as a wizard's tower?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Sounds more like a McMansion.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

my flat is many things, but a mansion (mc or otherwise) is not one of them

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I currently live in a flat on the upstairs floor of a house with good amount of space requiring two window A/C units and a dehumidifier constantly cause its so ridiculously hot but it works and utilities are all included.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/atlanta/historic

Today feels like an incredible difference

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

I didn;t know Gerry Brownlee was a pokemon :grin:

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

gently caress HARAMBE posted:

I didn;t know Gerry Brownlee was a pokemon :grin:

Don't insult Snorlax like that

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I dunno snorlax is resistant to basically everything IIRC and we can safely assume that includes bad publicity so it kind of fits.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

I dunno snorlax is resistant to basically everything IIRC and we can safely assume that includes bad publicity so it kind of fits.

He's also known to be massively obstructionist and lazy and he spends most of his time scratching himself.

Snorlax, that is.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Opened a herald today for the first time in a really long time, saw this, thought of you guys.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Has John Key talked about pokemon yet?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
he's down with snapchat that's for real

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Why would he? He's got all the Ponyta he needs.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Why would he? He's got all the Ponyta he needs.

yes he was quoted saying "ive got all the ponyta il ever need"

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

I didn't win the lotto just FYI

as if you would hang out on a mere $10 forum if you won the lotto

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I would, if only to rain lovely avs on everyone in sight.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
imagine winning the lotto though

'congratulations, that piece of yellow paper has destroyed your life as you know it'

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Congratulations, here is your life membership to the ACT party.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Varkk posted:

Congratulations, here is your life membership to the ACT party.

you must have won second division you loving pleb

first division buys you your own party

one internet party, slightly used

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Winning Powerball would change my life - I'd finally be able to put down a deposit on an Auckland home.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

you must have won second division you loving pleb

first division buys you your own party

one internet party, slightly used

Slightly soiled, surely?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I would, if only to rain lovely avs on everyone in sight.

I think we'd all do this.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Slightly soiled, surely?

Slightly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
While the lotto odds are ridiculous I'd bet good money that there are more lotto millionaires than post rogernomics poverty born children turned millionaires.

• Locked thread