Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There is nothing wrong with the Littoral Combat Ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Not the news I was expecting today: Judge Orders Navy to Release USS Thresher Disaster Documents

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Um wtfc

quote:

The Thresher disaster spurred the Navy to create its SubSafe program. Bryant, who wrote about Thresher‘s sinking in the July 2018 Proceedings, says there are still competing theories about what caused the disaster.

It has already been said what the causes are what the gently caress is the dispute? The only ~fishy~ cause was the Scorpion. And that was due to lovely procedures for weapons handling and a torpedo that had a really lovely way to stop it from turning on.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think the court case is more over a FOIA for the investigation, rather than some dark hidden secret of wet air freezing a check valve

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i have bitched a bit about my job but i love sonar and i especially love going active in port and having people call down to control because we woke them up

rip to the ship right in front of us, we were aiming in their direction. not maliciously ofc but still

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 12, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Going active while in port? Wtfc

Great way to gently caress up any divers in the area.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

ded posted:

It happens relatively frequently. Most bases have designated sonar days/windows to deconflict this exact situation.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

ded posted:

night ops baybee

we almost always do active tests at night to avoid diver conflicts

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Thanks to equipment obsolescence there's no reason to keep 1 through 4 commissioned. Like they might as well be completely different platforms from 5AF the equipments so different.

In positive LCS news 7 just completed a deployment and 9 just left.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1227624158605008897?s=20

SNOOPIE Team hard at work

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Close enough to see that the Russians hadn't invented nonskid technology yet (they still haven't).

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

boy are my arms tired posted:

night ops baybee

we almost always do active tests at night to avoid diver conflicts

Oh now I get it. BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP *dudes head slams into his racks overhead*

We could never do that poo poo since part of the sphere is out of water and could gently caress up the xducers.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PneumonicBook posted:

Thanks to equipment obsolescence there's no reason to keep 1 through 4 commissioned. Like they might as well be completely different platforms from 5AF the equipments so different.

In positive LCS news 7 just completed a deployment and 9 just left.

Give them to the merchant marine academies that aren't getting the new training ships, to uphold the proud tradition of useless training ships

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

Give them to the merchant marine academies that aren't getting the new training ships, to uphold the proud tradition of useless training ships

The TS Golden Bear nee USNS Maury is decent and I think Mass has her sister ship still operating. It seems like more and more commercial companies are reluctant to take cadets and the academies are wondering if it's a good idea to send them out.

One of my underclassmen is a port engineer for one of those 4 and they are pure trash, beyond even what we expect.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Checked into the Lake Champlain yesterday. It was pretty much just walking around shaking hands, the actual check-in stuff can wait til Tuesday. First impressions are good. My division doesn't have a reputation, everyone's working on quals while everything's in layup while in this weird yards-ish availability. Pretty ideal situation to get LPO experience in. I'm the only 1st class due to shenanigans before I got there, and each work center has a strong 2nd class running things without issue. My FC2 is expecting to make 1st if he gets an EP this cycle (His welcome about eval was an MP, dude is not fuckin around.)

Command climate is good, triad seems well liked. Had an all hands call before lunch and rolled right into a 3 day weekend.

There's a former student that remembers me scrubbing toilets and why, so that's fun.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

There's a former student that remembers me scrubbing toilets and why, so that's fun.

Man, I hoped you prepped for that before you showed up.

Dude drilled through a CIWS round the year before I showed up and I heard about that poo poo my entire enlistment. It doesn't go away.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Oh, for sure. I had hoped to play it close to the chest and decided how it inevitably got out, but even so, I've had plenty if time to think about how to talk about it. Honestly, I'm much better off for having gone through that whole episode. Had to confront some longstanding personal issues, and now I'm treating my ADHD instead of trying (and failing) to brute force my way through it, and got to see first hand how being mature and owning your poo poo gets you the best possible outcome in even the shittiest situations. So I have a lot of constructive talking points for junior sailors, and I can identify with the ones going through some dumb self-inflicted bullshit.

And getting dunked on in GIP never gets old. It's no oldpainless, but I'll take it.

E: VVVVVVV Ayyyyyyyyy!

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 16, 2020

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Checked into the Lake Champlain yesterday. It was pretty much just walking around shaking hands, the actual check-in stuff can wait til Tuesday. First impressions are good. My division doesn't have a reputation, everyone's working on quals while everything's in layup while in this weird yards-ish availability. Pretty ideal situation to get LPO experience in. I'm the only 1st class due to shenanigans before I got there, and each work center has a strong 2nd class running things without issue. My FC2 is expecting to make 1st if he gets an EP this cycle (His welcome about eval was an MP, dude is not fuckin around.)

Command climate is good, triad seems well liked. Had an all hands call before lunch and rolled right into a 3 day weekend.

Quoting for posterity.

In five years please come find this post, assuming you dont take a 240 apart on watch or something.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

lightpole posted:

One of my underclassmen is a port engineer for one of those 4 and they are pure trash, beyond even what we expect.

I agree, most of the port engineers I deal with are pure trash.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

The TS Golden Bear nee USNS Maury is decent and I think Mass has her sister ship still operating. It seems like more and more commercial companies are reluctant to take cadets and the academies are wondering if it's a good idea to send them out.

Who isn't wanting to take cadets? I know MLL takes them extensively and that's kind of the 800lb blue gorilla in the room

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

shovelbum posted:

Who isn't wanting to take cadets? I know MLL takes them extensively and that's kind of the 800lb blue gorilla in the room

Seriously, who doesn’t take cadets? Companies here have started locking them in with scholarship contracts.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

PneumonicBook posted:

I agree, most of the port engineers I deal with are pure trash.

It's the same mediocre pay, bureaucracy, and poo poo culture that makes up middle management of the officer corps. Anyone with talent and imagination leaves to do something else, same thing with the merchant marine.

shovelbum posted:

Matson got rid of them, OSG, I'm not sure about APL. Kings Point didnt want to send them out on commercial ships for a time. Liability and harrassment concerns on both sides. If big blue decides to get rid of them theres going to be problems.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
OSG ditched them? Holy poo poo, without brainwashing cadets into accepting their 14 hour days and scab mates as "prestigious" how will they find any employees?

I cadet shipped at Matson and it ruled.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

. Anyone with talent and imagination leaves to do something else, same thing with the merchant marine.

:smug:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Bouchard Towing has effectively gone bankrupt and abandoned their tugs around the US. USCG has told the mariners they will lose their documents if they abandon the vessels even though they havent been paid this year.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I actually got a seat in my class at dam neck!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I actually got a seat in my class at dam neck!

Enjoy the cold winds from the ocean.

I wish I could have been at Dam Neck during nice weather. I was at the schoolhouse years ago right as it changed to winter blues and went to my first assignment right as it changed to summer whites

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Enjoy the cold winds from the ocean.

I wish I could have been at Dam Neck during nice weather. I was at the schoolhouse years ago right as it changed to winter blues and went to my first assignment right as it changed to summer whites

Second time here. I was here for fall 2016 and it was lovely.

Got a cottage on beach with an ocean view and ended up with a nice tacoma for my rental.

New version of the KMI class so this should be fun.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Second time here. I was here for fall 2016 and it was lovely.

Got a cottage on beach with an ocean view and ended up with a nice tacoma for my rental.

New version of the KMI class so this should be fun.

Nice, I always figured going back there as a fleet returnee or reservist was a good gig. Only issue I remember when I took a few classes was the line at the gate was sometimes all the way back to Gen Booth. Hope they fixed that over the years.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Nice, I always figured going back there as a fleet returnee or reservist was a good gig. Only issue I remember when I took a few classes was the line at the gate was sometimes all the way back to Gen Booth. Hope they fixed that over the years.

That’s why you stay on base at the cottages during off season.

The traffic is still turbofucked.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
So my FC2 that's been running poo poo until now is going through a divorce with a kid. I asked how it was going (relatively amicable and civil or a nightmarish dumpster fire) and he said it was going reasonably.

We (he and I) find out this morning that he, Sr. Chief and Strike have to go have a meeting with CMC about an email he received from the soon-to-be ex Mrs. FC2.

This is gonna be fun.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

So my FC2 that's been running poo poo until now is going through a divorce with a kid. I asked how it was going (relatively amicable and civil or a nightmarish dumpster fire) and he said it was going reasonably.

We (he and I) find out this morning that he, Sr. Chief and Strike have to go have a meeting with CMC about an email he received from the soon-to-be ex Mrs. FC2.

This is gonna be fun.

Gonna guess results will be command referral to FFSC and, perhaps, a MPO for the Sailor regarding his soon-to-be ex-spouse

Good luck!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

Gonna guess results will be command referral to FFSC and, perhaps, a MPO for the Sailor regarding his soon-to-be ex-spouse

Good luck!

Can you translate that to something us non-mil folks can understand?

Like how turbofucked is he, on a scale of one to ten disassembled M9s?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Bro I just left the Navy and I have no idea what the gently caress that means

being out update: I don't like being out of the military and will go back in elsewhere, but I strongly dislike the Navy due to the personnel system and the Chiefs. Namaste.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

FrozenVent posted:

Can you translate that to something us non-mil folks can understand?

Like how turbofucked is he, on a scale of one to ten disassembled M9s?

Dept of Human Services/Child Protective Services referral and a Protective Order

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

being out update: I don't like being out of the military and will go back in elsewhere, but I strongly dislike the Navy due to the personnel system and the Chiefs. Namaste.

Don’t do it. It’s not too late. Trust me when I say the other branches are just as dumb. Even the USMC is basically Navy with more pt and tons more homoeroticism.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
After my AF time I worked as a contractor on a Navy base. I can say with certainty that both these services have unique and surprisingly equally infuriating ways of loving you over via their own personnel systems.

If you think the grass is greener on the other side, keep in mind the AF is offering a retention bonus of over $450,000 to fighter pilots and they're still leaving.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
If you want to be in the United States Navy, except more, you deserve anything you get

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

joat mon posted:

Dept of Human Services/Child Protective Services referral and a Protective Order

Just so you're not confused when you see someone reference Fleet and Family Support Center (FFSC) in the future, that organization also does other family support stuff like help you move and find apartments in other countries and stuff.

A military protective order is a lawful order similar to a restraining order without as much of the due process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Didn't we have one other guy go from Army to Navy expecting it to be better?

It didn't work.