Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Can you just get a tattoo that says Fast and the Fourieriest instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rabbit Hill posted:

Is the Greek text below written in ancient, medieval, or modern Greek? (The book is a 1571 edition of the Roman Pandects, which were originally written in the 6th century AD.)

Given that it's a transcript of a 6th century decree by Justinian, it falls right on the border between Late Ancient and Early Medieval Greek.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Mister Speaker posted:

Well like I said, while I find the concept fascinating for its wide range of applications, I'm mostly concerned with audio. Which of these would be more appropriate, given that context?

The first one is for analog audio and the second is for digital audio.
The second one is DFT and FFT is a way to compute the DFT.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
At work we're having a team wall sit challenge for our healthy living incentive program. I'm 100% remote, so I do these at home. I've noticed that even after less than a week, the paint on the wall I've been using is smudged and marred. I've tried an interior door, but that flexes somewhat alarmingly. How can I protect my wall?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Inceltown posted:

Can you just get a tattoo that says Fast and the Fourieriest instead?

OP, do this

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

hooah posted:

At work we're having a team wall sit challenge for our healthy living incentive program. I'm 100% remote, so I do these at home. I've noticed that even after less than a week, the paint on the wall I've been using is smudged and marred. I've tried an interior door, but that flexes somewhat alarmingly. How can I protect my wall?

Using painter's tape (the blue stuff), tape up a big swath of butcher paper?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

MyronMulch posted:

Using painter's tape (the blue stuff), tape up a big swath of butcher paper?

As a bonus, this will be slipperier than the wall and make it more challenging :twisted:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

VictualSquid posted:

The first one is for analog audio and the second is for digital audio.
The second one is DFT and FFT is a way to compute the DFT.

Thank you for clearing this up!

Further to this, maybe I should go back to the Maths Thread with this Q, but I've been rewatching 3Blue1Brown's video on the Fourier Transform in an effort to better understand the math, and a phrase they keep using to describe the equation is "our machine" for extracting harmonics. Is this true of most calculus and mathematics in general, that you could visualize a bunch of different graphs to help think of a working equation as a 'machine' for extracting a particular set of values from given data?

I've seen, for example, simple animated GIF graphs that display how sine/cosine/tangent functions work, and it made me think "gently caress, if I had seen this in 10th grade Functions class, I wouldn't have come so dangerously close to failing." I wonder, then, if visualizing these more complex equations as 'machines' would be a useful learning tool for someone like me who always had trouble wrapping my head around the mechanics of it all, but wishes to understand more of it in adulthood.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Mister Speaker posted:

Further to this, maybe I should go back to the Maths Thread with this Q, but I've been rewatching 3Blue1Brown's video on the Fourier Transform in an effort to better understand the math, and a phrase they keep using to describe the equation is "our machine" for extracting harmonics. Is this true of most calculus and mathematics in general, that you could visualize a bunch of different graphs to help think of a working equation as a 'machine' for extracting a particular set of values from given data?

I've seen, for example, simple animated GIF graphs that display how sine/cosine/tangent functions work, and it made me think "gently caress, if I had seen this in 10th grade Functions class, I wouldn't have come so dangerously close to failing." I wonder, then, if visualizing these more complex equations as 'machines' would be a useful learning tool for someone like me who always had trouble wrapping my head around the mechanics of it all, but wishes to understand more of it in adulthood.

Not sure if it will help, I went a totally different way to learn this.
I have always seen the transformations as looking at the same thing from a different angle, due to the way I learned it. And like most signals engineers I see the frequency domain as the natural form and don't even think about the time domain most of the time.

I also ultimately went on to learn to see all those transformations as projections between function spaces, which is admittedly kinda useless for most people.
Though you should also watch 3Blue's current series on convolution, it will eventually merge back to explaining fourier transforms from a different angle.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Just yesterday all the text on this site and pretty much every other web page has shrunk to like size 6 on my phone. But it shows 100 percent when I check the settings. Nothing new updated, everything is just super tiny and I have to flip to landscape to even read anything.

If I enlarge the text in settings, any web page with images, they now overflow the screen. Wtf happened?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Just yesterday all the text on this site and pretty much every other web page has shrunk to like size 6 on my phone. But it shows 100 percent when I check the settings. Nothing new updated, everything is just super tiny and I have to flip to landscape to even read anything.

If I enlarge the text in settings, any web page with images, they now overflow the screen. Wtf happened?

It's probably helpful to tell us which phone? Also use the awful app, it's way better than posting in a phone browser.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

It's probably helpful to tell us which phone? Also use the awful app, it's way better than posting in a phone browser.

Ah sorry, pixel 4a.

The app would work for this site but not others.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mister Speaker posted:

I don't really like that analogy but if it helps you then run with it.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Desktop mode?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chickpea Roar posted:

Desktop mode?

nope, that was unchecked; when i checked it, it made everything even smaller.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think another goon found it was something in their accessibility settings had been switched on, so maybe try looking there?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Is there a Steam Deck thread? I want to see about putting Tale of Two Wastelands on my Steam Deck but I don't know how feasible/easy that would be.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why is turkey lunch meat significantly more... I don't know, structurally sound? than chicken? Particularly if you get it cut at the deli rather than prepackaged stuff like Oscar Meyer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

Is there a Steam Deck thread? I want to see about putting Tale of Two Wastelands on my Steam Deck but I don't know how feasible/easy that would be.

Here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713

hooah posted:

Why is turkey lunch meat significantly more... I don't know, structurally sound? than chicken? Particularly if you get it cut at the deli rather than prepackaged stuff like Oscar Meyer.

Probably the lower fat content. Turkeys are leaner.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

I think another goon found it was something in their accessibility settings had been switched on, so maybe try looking there?

it's weird because the text is small but the left side on the forums, say where the avatars are, are normal sized. that text is fine too.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
They keep trying to sell me on it, and I'm nearly lonely enough for it to work, so I'm curious; does Tinder Gold (and the equivalent on other dating apps) actually make any kind of a difference?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Leave posted:

They keep trying to sell me on it, and I'm nearly lonely enough for it to work, so I'm curious; does Tinder Gold (and the equivalent on other dating apps) actually make any kind of a difference?

no

Hinge is the only dating app that's worth anything at all. Just have nice pictures and put effort into writing a hello message and you will be better off. Even I get matches that way

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Leave posted:

My experience with it was so bad. Never again with dating apps.
Tinder is full of bots and strange people trying to shill crypto, AT BEST.
At worst it's just a terrible blow to self esteem. I've had way better luck just saying nice things to random ladies.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

hooah posted:

It really depends on the quality of deli meat.

Very cheap meat is essentially minced and then compressed into a ball before slicing.

Better meat will take several different muscles, brine them to saturate with water, and then compress them into a roundish object.

The highest quality meat will be just whole muscles.

Since turkey breasts are much larger than chicken breasts, you're more likely to come across whole breasts with turkey than chicken.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Methanar posted:

Hinge is the only dating app that's worth anything at all. Just have nice pictures and put effort into writing a hello message and you will be better off. Even I get matches that way
OKCupid is the only one I ever had any success with. :shrug:

Bumble is the worst though. Badly-made app, for a start; frequently failed to work properly on a basic level. Plus, the time limit on matches (if you match with someone and they don't message within 24 hours, the match disappears) means that if you aren't on there literally every day then it's worthless, and even if you are it's still way too easy to miss that window.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
OKCupid was the only one that got me reasonable dates as well - I've heard good things about Hinge but missed it during my dating days. On OKC, paying was worth it but I ended up going out with a lot of people in a short amount of time and if your hit rate is lower it may not be worth it. Honestly, it was just a way to get numbers/(at the time) gchat handles so you could talk more easily. But people tried on OKC more than they did on, say, Tinder.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

I checked accessibility, everything's the same as before. I did notice that when I turn my phone into landscape mode everything is normal size. Is there some kind of setting that would change the text size between landscape and vertical?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A riddle / math problem, I can't decide which of two potential answers is correct.

You have a coworker and you know they have two children but don't know their gender. One day you see a photo of one of his children, a girl. What are the odds that the other child is a boy?

1. 50%. Each child's gender is an independent 50/50 event.

2. 67%. There are four possible scenarios: older child female / younger child female, older child female / younger child male, older child male / younger child female, older and younger both male. The last one is eliminated since we know there is at least one daughter. Of the remaining three options, two have a boy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

regulargonzalez posted:

A riddle / math problem, I can't decide which of two potential answers is correct.

You have a coworker and you know they have two children but don't know their gender. One day you see a photo of one of his children, a girl. What are the odds that the other child is a boy?

2. 67%. There are four possible scenarios: older child female / younger child female, older child female / younger child male, older child male / younger child female, older and younger both male. The last one is eliminated since we know there is at least one daughter. Of the remaining three options, two have a boy.

The logic on 2 is unsound because the girl you’ve seen could be either the younger or older of two daughters.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Good chance this will be the next few pages.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_or_Girl_paradox for a good breakdown on the ambiguity inherent in the question that leads to confusion.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Platystemon posted:

The logic on 2 is unsound because the girl you’ve seen could be either the younger or older of two daughters.

Ahhh that makes sense. Girl / girl isn't one option it's two.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

I feel like you should respect your coworker's decision not to have a gender.

Let's talk about the sleeping beauty paradox instead.

wikipedia posted:

Sleeping Beauty volunteers to undergo the following experiment and is told all of the following details: On Sunday she will be put to sleep. Once or twice, during the experiment, Sleeping Beauty will be awakened, interviewed, and put back to sleep with an amnesia-inducing drug that makes her forget that awakening. A fair coin will be tossed to determine which experimental procedure to undertake:

If the coin comes up heads, Sleeping Beauty will be awakened and interviewed on Monday only.
If the coin comes up tails, she will be awakened and interviewed on Monday and Tuesday.
In either case, she will be awakened on Wednesday without interview and the experiment ends.

Any time Sleeping Beauty is awakened and interviewed she will not be able to tell which day it is or whether she has been awakened before. During the interview Sleeping Beauty is asked: "What is your credence[*] now for the proposition that the coin landed heads?"
[*] credence = how likely do you think it is that... it's a probability, between 0 and 1. If you lose $credence when you are wrong and have a net gain of $1-$credence when you are right, if your credence matches the actual probabilty you will break-even in the long run; if it is higher than the actual probability you will lose money on average.

The two main competing arguments are that she should answer 1/2 or 1/3.
The argument for 1/2 is that there has only been one event, the fair coin flip, and the probability of the coin landing heads is 50%.
The argument for 1/3 is that because she has no memory of prior events, the only thing that she knows is that she is twice as likely to be asked the question when the answer is tails than when it is heads AND that the answer is the same each time she is asked.

the official answer is :iiam:, but I think that's because there is an ambiguity in the question; it doesn't specify if the scope of the credence is each interview or the whole experiment. If it's the whole experiment, then 0.5 would mean she makes 0.5 on a head and loses 0.5 twice on tails for an expected value of -0.5 instead of 0; credence then has to be determined by the weighted total of interviews in which the correct answer is heads/total number of interviews, or (1/3) in this case; if she gets woken 9 times instead of twice credence becomes 1/10.

If we change the odds of heads and tails to 90% and 10% respectively (by e.g. saying "heads is rolling 1-9 on a fair D10 with 0-9 on the faces, tails is rolling a 0"), what happens to the experiment credence?
Well, there is still one interview in which the correct answer is heads, and two where the answer is tails, but pr(Heads) is now 0.9 instead of 0.5, so we want to solve 0.9(1-x) = 0.1*2*x [1] to get breakeven:
the answer is x = 0.9/1.1, or just under 82% [2]. 9 wakeups on tails changes the equation to 0.9(1-x)=0.1*9*x , or x = 0.9/1.8 = 50%.

Of course, if you are Sleeping Beauty, and you get paid out after each interview, you should see if they will let you place 50,000 bets of $0.01 each on heads; if you are right, you'll net $49,000, if you are wrong you've lost $1,000. Of course, this assumes that the payout is fair and they aren't going to protect their grant by telling you you lost....

[1] quick check: we should get 1/3 from 0.5(1-x) = 0.5(2x), and we do
[2] another quick check: we should get a small +ve from 0.19*0.9-0.2*.81 (we do, 0.009) and a small -ve from 0.18*.9-0.2*0.82 (we do, -0.002).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
:psyboom:

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Trapick posted:

Good chance this will be the next few pages.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_or_Girl_paradox for a good breakdown on the ambiguity inherent in the question that leads to confusion.

jesus christ

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No he was definitely a boy.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

regulargonzalez posted:

Was that supposed to be OLDER rather than other? This whole discussion has been baffling otherwise.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Without meaning to denigrate other posters, a lot of people don't understand statistics. They did mean 'other' though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The problem with questions like this is that in order to assign a probability to something, you need a model that specifies what's random. The answers you get are very sensitive to the assumptions you make about that model.

Imagine that there are four households with two children each, one for each possible combination (BB, BG, GB, GG). If you pick a house at random and one of the children is a boy, the probability that the other one is a boy is 1/3. But if you pick a child at random, the probability that their sibling is a boy is 1/2 because the houese with two boys is twice as likely to be represented as the other two. You can come up with other sampling schemes that make the probability to be any value you like.

Because there's no information about the probability model in the question we're given, there's no definitive probability.

(My favorite variation on this is the Tuesday version, which shows just how important it is to document your assumptions and calculate carefully.)

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 11, 2023

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

The problem with questions like this is that in order to assign a probability to something, you need a model that specifies what's random. The answers you get are very sensitive to the assumptions you make about that model.

Imagine that there are four households with two children each, one for each possible combination (BB, BG, GB, GG). If you pick a house at random and one of the children is a boy, the probability that the other one is a boy is 2/3.

Should that be 1/3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yes, thank you. Edited.