Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zedprime posted:

I must be imaginary because I buy every Bethesda release figuring this will be the one I fall down a mod hole, and then just end up downloading an interface one and never looking at mods again. The important part being buying because of mods even if I never touch them.

Never said you were imaginary, just in the minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kanfy posted:

Didn't you also try to genuinely claim they got rid of Gamebryo for Skyrim, I get liking the games but why someone would keep repeatedly defending Bethesda's terrible engine I have a hard time understanding.

It's certainly not the exact same thing as it was in Oblivion and they have improved on it quite a bit but unlike with Quake 3 and Call of Duty, the similarities between what it was then and what it is now are still incredibly obvious and they still share a lot of the same issues.
If anything the next Bethesda game running on Quake 3 engine would be an improvement.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lord Lambeth posted:

Look at almost any other game that uses gamebryo. I never had a glitch problem with Civ 4.

Oh come on, you can't seriously compare something like Civ 4 to the scale and freedom of the open-world Beth games. Of course you'll see more glitches in Fallout.

Ghostlight posted:

It was overhauled for Skyrim and it basically did nothing for it. They need to scrap the entire thing and ask ID to teach them how to use one of theirs. And yeah, "what the fans want" might not be a compelling reason, but their games are starting to show their age, and it's only a matter of time before their world-building can no longer make up for the inherited jank.

Yeah sorry I should've been more clear. When I said "overhaul" what I actually meant was them scrapping gamebryo entirely and starting from scratch.

I can just imagine some Bethesda developer walking into the boardroom

"We'd like to request additional funds to create a new engine and/or license a competitor's"
"Ok, and how many copies of the last Gamebryo engine game did we sell again?"
"A million billion sir."
"AHAHAHAHAHA :getout:"

I'm not trying to say I personally wouldn't have liked to see Gamebryo sent out to pasture long ago, it's definitely far past its prime. I just don't agree with people saying Bethesda is lazy or just doesn't give enough of a poo poo to fix the glitches that are still left over from previous games. I doubt they could do that even if they wanted to.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kanfy posted:

It's certainly not the exact same thing as it was in Oblivion and they have improved on it quite a bit but unlike with Quake 3 and Call of Duty, the similarities between what it was then and what it is now are still incredibly obvious and they still share a lot of the same issues.

How is Call of Duty significantly different from Quake 3 (on an engine level)? Did they finally add destructible environments?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have never had big problems with any Bethesda game being particularly buggy with things that matter (questlines given this is an rpg). There are some weird physics going on at times, but who cares.

The people are hideous in their games, but that seems as much an art direction choice.
Terrible level design is the biggest problem they suffer from (post Morrowind... and even that wasn't incredible). Part of it is just the nature of open world games though.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Keep a close eye on that sassy gentleman. I don't trust him.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

computer parts posted:

How is Call of Duty significantly different from Quake 3 (on an engine level)? Did they finally add destructible environments?

Acting intentionally obtuse is a dumb way to make an argument, you know very well that nobody is going to play the newest Call of Duty and go "Man, I can't believe these animation and physics issues from Quake 3 are still there!" like they do about Bethesda's version of Gamebryo or whatever they call its most recent version.

Of course I could be wrong about that as I admittedly haven't paid much attention to the game, but it seems pretty unlikely.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just polished off Mad Max, and I don't think I've played through anything that made me feel both like I wanted to utterly destroy a villain, and yet a bit queasy about how I was doing it every step of the way. That finale is a bit of a gruesome rush. Vague spoilers: The voicework really sold the single-minded descent into murderous madness, Max just going "until death, until death" over and over, and then the dead child started screaming "PAINT MY NAME IN THEIR BLOOD" and suddenly taking on a convoy singlehandedly was less fun, more "uhhhhh..."

And then came the first-person segment.

And the last phase, where I literally had to destroy all I had left, with every single character I had killed/gotten killed screaming for vengeance and that I was a piece of poo poo.

Yeah, that was pretty hosed up all considered.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Oh come on, you can't seriously compare something like Civ 4 to the scale and freedom of the open-world Beth games. Of course you'll see more glitches in Fallout.

So the problem is that RPGs are inherently glitchy, jankity games. I'm just arguing there is nothing inherently wrong with gamebryo, other games have used it extensively without anyone complaining.

Maybe Bethesda should try limiting their scope if they can't hire more people.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

END ME SCOOB posted:

I just polished off Mad Max, and I don't think I've played through anything that made me feel both like I wanted to utterly destroy a villain, and yet a bit queasy about how I was doing it every step of the way. That finale is a bit of a gruesome rush. Vague spoilers: The voicework really sold the single-minded descent into murderous madness, Max just going "until death, until death" over and over, and then the dead child started screaming "PAINT MY NAME IN THEIR BLOOD" and suddenly taking on a convoy singlehandedly was less fun, more "uhhhhh..."

And then came the first-person segment.

And the last phase, where I literally had to destroy all I had left, with every single character I had killed/gotten killed screaming for vengeance and that I was a piece of poo poo.

Yeah, that was pretty hosed up all considered.
I'd agree with the criticism that its ending is a bit too edgy and keen on of just offing certain characters just so you can have REVENGE but you murdering Chumbucket was legit sad. He was far and away the best written part of the game.

Mad Max was a good game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lord Lambeth posted:

Maybe Bethesda should try limiting their scope if they can't hire more people.

I don't believe they'd limit their scope to make *better* games if the ones they currently make continue to sell well.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Accordion Man posted:

I'd agree with the criticism that its ending is a bit too edgy and keen on of just offing certain characters just so you can have REVENGE but you murdering Chumbucket was legit sad. He was far and away the best written part of the game.

Mad Max was a good game.

No, no, I totally agree, on both counts. I just think that scene is both the most hamfisted and most effective way of driving home that point all at once.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

END ME SCOOB posted:

No, no, I totally agree, on both counts. I just think that scene is both the most hamfisted and most effective way of driving home that point all at once.
Yeah, pretty much.

Sucks that the game's been hung out to dry. A DLC campaign or something would have been nice.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

"I must go, my people need me."

Lucan Valerius died on his way back to Cyrodiil.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Bethesda own id and exclusive use of the id Tech engine. they stick with creationbryo not for licensing reasons but because most of their programming staff are just scripters who don't want to switch from what they're used to.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

dreezy posted:

Bethesda own id and exclusive use of the id Tech engine. they stick with creationbryo not for licensing reasons but because most of their programming staff are just scripters who don't want to switch from what they're used to.
There's also the bit where Id Tech is hilariously hard on modders and an open-world game using it would probably be terabytes in size due to the magic and wonder of megatextures.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Zenimax is the company that owns id, that also owns Bethesda.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

idtech would prboably be garbage for an open world game, in RAGE any time you used mouselook even slightly the textures would re-load

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Quest For Glory II posted:

idtech would prboably be garbage for an open world game, in RAGE any time you used mouselook even slightly the textures would re-load

This was true in non-open world game Wolfenstein also.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the gently caress is this http://store.steampowered.com/app/414500/

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I wanna pet those cats and play that game

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I don't know but it claims to have "Breathtaking cinematics...literally" so it's probably good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

drat those certainly were some animations and voice acting in that trailer.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

aw yea I knew it would happen

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lol

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

It won't give me the details.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i saw that corn and enjoyed it when i browsed metroidvania games earlier this week

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Not Rocket Slime.:colbert:

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

:homebrew: Take my money and bring me more DQ, please.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Well poo poo, they got my money.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
They have the russian princess that punches everything but no torneko the fat merchant who wields an abacus and no rocket slime, wtf

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Not even the super macho mustachioed Ragnar McRyan in his all pink armor

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A Klei free weekend, I'm assuming in honor of the Invisible Inc DLC releasing. This is pretty great because I am super interested in trying out Invisible Inc without abusing refunds and it seems like a love it or hate it sort of thing.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea an Invisible Inc DLC was coming, but apparently it released today to coincide with with Klei Publisher Weekend sale. More Invisible Inc is always good.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
How's Grav? Given that it's an early access survival crafting game I'm gonna assume bad but who knows maybe this time will be different.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

They had me at "GameIndica Entertainment".

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I felt that I had to post this, for some reason...

And

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

God drat it, I just bought this on PS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Whoa what? Where is this, I'm not seeing this at all.

And yeah i already bought and platinum'd this on PS4 but I might have to grab it again just for the sake of getting more DQ, holy poo poo.

• Locked thread