Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Clerk sounds like he's taking the piss sending them for form L0-Ng-w8 or whatever, but it's actually a legit thing that they really need to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Gildiss posted:

So I am going to use this to send my players to the fantasy DMV when they try and collect a bounty and a bookkeeper notices their license is expired.

Any ideas for encounters or skill challenges for them while they wait in line?
A troupe of Bards playing ye olde elevator tunes?
People attempting to cut in line?

Depending how insane you want to make it, Paranoia provider tons of 'helpful' suggestions. For example:

Ask people to give written feedback on the quality of the exam, amenity of the exam, personableness of the invigilators and the accuracy and clarity of the instructions before telling them where the exam is set, giving them the exam papers or anything at all.

The exam is set in one room, but due to a bureaucratic snafu the guy issuing the instructions has been assigned to another room and refuses to leave/move/do anything constructive. Consider having all instructions shouted through a floor. Include a listening skills segment.

The exam is set to be administered in a room. When the players get to the room they find the door is heavily sealed with DO NOT OPEN. EVER. written on it in Infernal.

One of the exam papers is in deep speech or some other language, just run it through google translate into Arabic or something. Provide no explanation and remind the PCs that the exam must be conducted in perfect silence. Alternatively, give someone a completely disconnected exam about puppy care.

The answer key is secured in an extra dimensional plane of bureaucracy to prevent cheating, the bureaucrat running the test won't mark anything and doesn't want to go there, so the players will need to recover it before they can get their results back.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 19, 2016

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

One of the exam papers is in deep speech or some other language, just run it through google translate into Arabic or something. Provide no explanation and remind the PCs that the exam must be conducted in perfect silence.

For deep speech I use Wingdings.

Other language pairings:
Celestial: Hebrew
Primordial: Sanskrit
Infernal: Latin (Gothic Script)
Abyssal: Greek (Gothic Script if possible)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Gildiss posted:

So I am going to use this to send my players to the fantasy DMV when they try and collect a bounty and a bookkeeper notices their license is expired.

Any ideas for encounters or skill challenges for them while they wait in line?
A troupe of Bards playing ye olde elevator tunes?
People attempting to cut in line?

I'd have them need at least 3 references from people they have done work with before...

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

AceClown posted:

I'd have them need at least 3 references from people they have done work with before...

A certification signed by the captain of the guard that shows they're of good character, not currently under investigation for any crimes, no bad debts etc.

For wizards, a digitially magically signed and encrypted statement from the university proving they have the correct degrees and diplomas to be operating as a LAAP (licensed adventuring arcane practitioner), the university must also provide the contact details for the appropriate licensing body.

For divine spellcasters, a form to be filled out by the local bishop, high priest, head druid, witchdoctor, dude who rips hearts out and eats them, wise man, grovekeeper (etc) proving that they are a current member in good standing, all tithes paid and so on.

poo poo, "3 forms of ID" would be fun times for the average D&D group - "Let's see... I've got my father's sword... the jeweled eye of the statue of the lizard god Xrusk from the temple of the swamp... what do you mean that doesn't count? Everyone knows I did that! There's a saga and everything! I shouldn't have to submit a form to the skald's guild! Look, "Brund The Mighty" is tattooed on my left arm, does that count? Of course it's my real loving name, my dad was Krund The Mighty like it says on the sword. What the hell man, how can a sword even "expire", what do you want from me?"

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 19, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I intend to have my players fight a wizard who controls the aurora during the next session. Does anybody have ideas as to what kind of cool abilities I could throw at them? I assume they might underestimate auroras as a rather weaksauce power for a wizard to have, so I'd like to throw a few curveballs at them. The obvious ideas that spring to mind are letting her cast some sort of cosmic beam from above that will have to keep them moving, and dropping aurora barriers between snow and the sky to force them to change their angle of approach.

Outside of that I'm thinking of just using them as some sort of blinding light source to stun or disorient the party?

I've read something about auroras being caused by electrons and protons interacting with the atmosphere and that sounds like you could twist it into some really badass powers, but I unfortunately lack the science background to really come up with an application of that. I suppose plasma attacks of some sorts, but that seems really vague and might not be very different from lightning or fire. Maybe gravity shenanigans? Or maybe she could cause some sort of chemical reaction with snow or oxygen? Somebody with a science background would have a better or cooler idea.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

One thing you guys might consider is that bureaucrats in a fantasy setting might reasonably expect people to fill in "important" personal details that are utterly divorced from the real world and there may be the potential for the PCs to fail the test for reasons that no one in the real world would care about or consider important.

Since the test/forms the players fill out will have important ramifications for the characters (possibly even life and death stakes), there's no reason not to treat it like any other adventure. Make it clear that failing the test/filling out the form incorrectly would be a BAD THING then make the challenge for the players be figuring out how to ensure they get the paperwork right. One way you could do that is have the party meet a bunch of sad sacks who were a lot like them once but failed the test and have been trapped in bureaucratic limbo for weeks/years/all eternity as a result. Once the players realize that failure is not an option, they'll find themselves having to think strategically about how they can ensure they'll pass it. Naturally, the first step will be finding out what's on the test, which will encourage them to talk to NPCs, read supplemental forms, poke their noses around and other things that will help them get a sense for their setting and how their character might fit into it. Once the players have a good idea of what the stakes are and what the test is about, you can get to the fun part of having them solve the "quest" of figuring out how to answer it. You can do all this as pure roleplay (since it would mostly just be reading, listening, and talking to people) and shouldn't take that long anyway so character sheets and dice are not required, but if you really want the players to have filled out the forms ahead of time, then you can tweak the scenario a little bit by saying there's a second (much harder) set of forms to fill out or set it up so that the players' exams have all been reviewed and they all failed. Now they only have a very limited time to complete/resubmit the paperwork and get certified before there will be dire consequences. From there the trick will be figuring out how to pass the test.

If you're doing this as a character creation tool, most of the questions won't really have a wrong answer because there just there to get the players to describe their character, but certain sections could act as "gatekeepers" that will be impossible to figure out without a little creative thinking.

For instance, say the local religion puts a lot of stock in a person's horoscope and earnestly believes that a person's destiny is determined by the stars. This would raise a lot of issues. First, the PCs aren't necessarily going to know their own horoscopes or what they mean and would be forced to either find someone else at the DMV who could read it for them or find a way to fake it convincingly (feel free to let players pick from a list of signs/destinies or let them make up their own). Second, certain horoscopes might be Bad Things (IE being born under the Sign of the Evil Eye during a moonless night), so they'll have to figure out a way to fill out the form without marking themselves as a pariah. Once they've figured out the/a "right" answer to those issues, it will naturally be up to you and the players to decide how much it matters to the character or whether it will remain significant going forward, but a it could potentially be an interesting character hook.

Other interesting challenges might be a mysterious orphan trying to figure out what to put down for the "family" section, a person with no magical abilities being required to fill out the supplemental "magic user" form and not knowing why, or just having to wrestle with a clerical error that none of the bureaucrats will acknowledge as such (like when Hank Hill's drivers' license said "Sex: F"). If alignment is a quantifiable thing in your setting, play with the ramifications of having to put down "chaotic evil" on a government form. If a character is an elf, have them fill out form 1069-F which turns out to just be a bunch of questions about their favorite pass times, recent sexual history, and whether they are attracted to short men with glasses. The possibilities for weird little stories are endless and could do a lot to shape how the characters interact with their setting going forward (especially when you consider that their completed forms may well go into the public record).

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 19, 2016

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Deltasquid posted:

I intend to have my players fight a wizard who controls the aurora during the next session. Does anybody have ideas as to what kind of cool abilities I could throw at them?

Prismatic sphere and prismatic wall are timeless spells that will gently caress you up.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Also you could have the supercharged aurora reshape the terrain by melting snow, creating some sort of "energy" aura that effects certain spells (like a bonus to things with the Light and Fire tags and a penalty to opposed elements like Darkness/Shadow or Cold/Frost), or spontaneously generating elementals of pure light (that can only exist where the aurora touches down).

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Cat Face Joe posted:

Prismatic sphere and prismatic wall are timeless spells that will gently caress you up.

I had to look these up because we're playing dungeon world. Prismatic wall sounds really cool, but it's close to the aurora wall idea I had. I might make the aurora barriers function like the prismatic walls, but I'm thinking about giving the mage a prismatic sphere that blocks the players' attacks until they take down the wall one step at a time. None of the player characters are mages themselves (one is an inquisitor who can dispel magic though, so I could straight up tell the player how he can break the barrier and ask him how his character knows this) but I could tweak it. Last session we established that ghosts can only be killed by cold, so they resorted to pelting them with snowballs. I think they could figure out the same trick for the red barrier. I'm not sure about the other colours yet. Turning it into some sort of puzzle boss is an interesting idea.

Duckbag posted:

Also you could have the supercharged aurora reshape the terrain by melting snow, creating some sort of "energy" aura that effects certain spells (like a bonus to things with the Light and Fire tags and a penalty to opposed elements like Darkness/Shadow or Cold/Frost), or spontaneously generating elementals of pure light (that can only exist where the aurora touches down).

I thought about adding an aurora elemental. Not sure what it would be exactly, but hey, let's find out. Supercharging spells is kinda useless for them though, as I mentioned above, they're all normies who have to rely on good old steel or wits to defeat their enemies.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I posted about this before, but had a few new ideas about it in the meantime. There's a character in my party who hears voices from the astral realm (which is our stand-in for all nonmaterial planes). She's a Kalashtar from a remote community, looking for a lost Kalashtar village. Canonically they're a symbiotic race, dream spirits in human bodies, but I want to spice it up a little with a plot twist and have gotten the player's okay to "do something a bit out there."

Part 1 of the plot twist: the lost village has long been destroyed and its inhabitants are stuck in the astral realm. They're among the voices she hears. What do you think is the coolest part 2 out of these options I thought up so far:

#1: she's not actually real, just a very good illusion, crafted by the astral Kalashtar to get a group of adventurers together and eventually take revenge. She's so well done she believes in her own existence. Her backstory is just fabricated memories though, because for the plan to work she couldn't be aware of her nature.
Main appeal: Opportunity for a bit of existentialist wisdom when the astrals eventually point out that if all your senses tell you someone's there, and they themselves also think so... then aren't they?

#2: she's a dream spirit, either made by the astrals or one of them, who was inserted into an adult body. Same purpose, but one of the voices she hears is the original owner, who wasn't consulted and wants back in, and wasn't at all a nice person. Her backstory is a mix of fabrication and the original person's memories.
Main appeal: Opportunity for exploring some moral questions, and a new enemy.

#3: similar to #1, but she's a projection of one of the now-astral Kalashtar. Her body is still in stasis in the destroyed village. Backstory's just muddled up by dream logic.
Main appeal: A vision guiding the party towards their fate is an old stand-by, but having one of the PCs turn out to be that vision is new enough. Plus, opportunity for a scene where she rejoins the party in her actual body.

(And now of course writing this down I realize these don't actually all rule each other out...)

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

You guys are going overly nuts with the bureaucratic nonsense. You're taking a potentially fun role-playing experience and turning it into actual work.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

They're adventurers, they have the option at any time to go "nope, gently caress this" and turn it into a combat encounter.

Then when the place is a smoking blood-splattered ruin, a small, neat, terrified clerk approaches them with a stack of forms and asks in a quavering voice if they could please fill out these customer satisfaction surveys.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

YMMV but so far it still sounds hilariously fun.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I thought of something from Eclipse Phase that might be interesting here. Maybe the Kalashtar are the result of a merging of fantasy posthumans from an ancient civilization (let's call them e.g. "Ancients"). The Ancients wanted to interact with mortals again (for any number of reasons) but now that they're immortal, magical beings having eschewed physical form, they decide to jump into whichever mortals happen to be nearby. But since mortals have their own consciousness and desires and whatnot, they have to deal with the fact that they're not in direct control. And so the being that emerges from this synthesis is Kalashtar. Maybe they use dreams as the medium to enable their goals.

I realize this might not be specific enough for your question but I hope it's something interesting. :D

Edit: maybe there was a scheme ages ago, but your PC's symbiont was misinformed, vaguely recalling the ancient plot that didn't happen. The twist is not an alterior motive, but a revelation about the nature of Kalashtar.

Zephirum fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 19, 2016

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Soylent Pudding posted:

YDMVMV but so far it still sounds hilariously fun.

fix

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Cross post from the 4E thread, but I'm looking for good terrain suggestions to spruce up the battlemat. My critique would be people have a bad idea of cover, so I'm looking for trees, walls, crates and containers that break up LOS/offer cover.

I've got an old set of Heroquest so I have a bunch of doors and the like, as well as altars, tables and chests. Was looking at buying a bunch of O scale model railway trees that I could base and use for trees and such, but not sure what is cheap in the crates/barrels end of the market and other generic terrain that could be good to supplement the battlemat with. I was looking at some simple papercraft stuff and going from there if all else fails.

I am super lazy and would prefer to buy something than make stuff by hand, but not totally adverse to the idea and have an airbrush and can paint things. I'm running the Zeitgeist and War of the Burning Sky adventure paths, so need a mix of urban ish and traditional fantasy terrain.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
4ground is on the pricy side, but comes pre-painted and is easy to assemble. They have crates, furnite, walls, ruined/regular buildings and so on in multiple styles and sizes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Cross post from the 4E thread, but I'm looking for good terrain suggestions to spruce up the battlemat. My critique would be people have a bad idea of cover, so I'm looking for trees, walls, crates and containers that break up LOS/offer cover.

I've got an old set of Heroquest so I have a bunch of doors and the like, as well as altars, tables and chests. Was looking at buying a bunch of O scale model railway trees that I could base and use for trees and such, but not sure what is cheap in the crates/barrels end of the market and other generic terrain that could be good to supplement the battlemat with. I was looking at some simple papercraft stuff and going from there if all else fails.

I am super lazy and would prefer to buy something than make stuff by hand, but not totally adverse to the idea and have an airbrush and can paint things. I'm running the Zeitgeist and War of the Burning Sky adventure paths, so need a mix of urban ish and traditional fantasy terrain.

The cheap end is papercraft.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Soylent Pudding posted:

YMMV but so far it still sounds hilariously fun.
It'll probably vary from group to group.

I think it sounds pretty cool, but the I'm the only member of my current group who enjoys prolonged shopping/haggling. If I tried to run them through any kind of bureaucratic paperwork hoops they'd kill me.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Rulebook Heavily posted:

4ground is on the pricy side, but comes pre-painted and is easy to assemble. They have crates, furnite, walls, ruined/regular buildings and so on in multiple styles and sizes.

I have lots of their furniture and they are pretty awesome looking. On downside they are 'realistic scale', which means that they are small compared to most 28mm miniatures:

(sniper is in 1inch base, others are 20x20mm bases)

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

adhuin posted:

I have lots of their furniture and they are pretty awesome looking. On downside they are 'realistic scale', which means that they are small compared to most 28mm miniatures:

(sniper is in 1inch base, others are 20x20mm bases)

I don't think the problem is that the furniture is on a small scale. I think it's that the vertical scale of 28mm minis is out of scale for D&D's usual 5':1" squares. That table looks like it's about 8-10 feet long in D&D, which is plenty, it's just that it looks tiny when your figs are pushing ten feet tall in your scale.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

My players in my Mecha based The Sprawl campaign have gotten on the wrong side of the Pirate fleet LEVIATHAN, who are led by an elevated Octopus named Nemo.

The question is, does Nemo have an 8 armed Mecha, or does he simultaneously control 8 Mecha at once?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HatfulOfHollow posted:

You guys are going overly nuts with the bureaucratic nonsense. You're taking a potentially fun role-playing experience and turning it into actual work.

So we just finished the session and it was pretty good. It was essentially a little cap to a session that they finally finished a dungeon on and were returning for their reward between campaigns.
They went along with 'finding' the license of the dead guy the party necro possessed, so I got to call him a dainty elf name and call their band 'Friends Forever'.
This was 13th Age so they arrived at the 'Department' and montage'd how they passed the soul crushing wait in line.
They also got to chit chat with a few other adventuring groups that I will have make other appearances later down the line.
I then had a Lesser Bureaucrat ask who the leader was and hand him the document and had the other members report to the Greater Bureaucrat for class registration.
Cleric had to report how many miracles he was the direct cause of. How many blessings he had performed within the last 6 months. And a vision test identifying the number of demons present in the picture.
Necromancer had to report how many souls he had enslaved. Asked to animate a telekinesis-resistant rat corpse for a background roll, and a vision test identifying the number of functional skeletons present in the pile of bones picture.
Ranger had to report how many trails he had blazed and the number of poachers he had slain in the last 6 months. And a vision test identifying the number of falcons present, he answered none which was correct, they are all hawks.
Fighter had to get help to have the form read aloud to him as he then proudly boasted his answers.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 22, 2016

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TheTofuShop posted:

My players in my Mecha based The Sprawl campaign have gotten on the wrong side of the Pirate fleet LEVIATHAN, who are led by an elevated Octopus named Nemo.

The question is, does Nemo have an 8 armed Mecha, or does he simultaneously control 8 Mecha at once?

I'm inclined towards eight armed, if only because of Enki-Durga in the TTGL movie. :allears:

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

TheTofuShop posted:

8 mecha that combine into an 8-armed one. How is this even a question.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lynx Winters posted:

8 mecha that combine into an 8-armed one. How is this even a question.

This is the correct answer.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

homullus posted:

The cheap end is papercraft.

Middle road is cardboard and other small crafts, lots of time, patience, and painting. One of my players made a bunch of furnishings as well as doors and base tiles. Also other tiny decoratives like skulls, candles, books, etc. Don't have any fully complete pics, but there's youtubes out there for how-to:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SaviourX posted:

Middle road is cardboard and other small crafts, lots of time, patience, and painting. One of my players made a bunch of furnishings as well as doors and base tiles. Also other tiny decoratives like skulls, candles, books, etc. Don't have any fully complete pics, but there's youtubes out there for how-to:

Lego is also an option. At the very least you can make walls exactly the size and shape you need.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

I posted about this before, but had a few new ideas about it in the meantime. There's a character in my party who hears voices from the astral realm (which is our stand-in for all nonmaterial planes). She's a Kalashtar from a remote community, looking for a lost Kalashtar village. Canonically they're a symbiotic race, dream spirits in human bodies, but I want to spice it up a little with a plot twist and have gotten the player's okay to "do something a bit out there."
Christ, I'm still on this. It's getting so I can't wait until I can reveal this stuff to my players, if only so I'm forced to actually settle on one idea.

Current plan is to reveal she was originally part of a cell of Dreaming Dark agents (who the party defeated in a "how we all met" flashback). The astral Kalashtar made it so she now believes herself to be the person the party knows. However, part of her old Dreaming Dark personality has remained and is trying to regain control/figure out what the gently caress happened. Adventures in dreamworld ensue, with flashbacks and new perspectives on familiar events aplenty.

Only thing I'm not yet sure about (there's always something) is whether the astrals overwrote her original personality or removed the Dreaming Dark brainwashing. Could go either way with these things. But that's largely academic, I guess, and I might leave it intentionally vague/roll with the player's conclusion.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So, I've committed myself to trying to DM for a bunch of friends who have basically zero experience with D&D. Unfortunately, I'm basically the same, so we're all more or less starting from scratch. We all have a good general sense of RPGs and games in general, so hopefully we'll be able to do OK. Right now, I have 2 people 100% committed to playing, and another guy who is interested, but just had a kid, so his schedule is kind of hectic.

Right now, I'm looking at Dungeon World, as it seems like something that can let us get into playing a lot easier. What kind of prep should we do, so we can actually get through a reasonable amount of content in our first few sessions? Should we try out some pre-made modules or just try to wing it? What kind of stuff should I have on hand to make sure I'm prepared to deal with the stuff they want to do? I've already talked to them about trying to keep things a little sane while we (mainly me) figure out how everything works, but I don't want to put my foot down too hard on cool poo poo that I can't figure out how to handle.

I've read a decent chunk of this thread, and the main things I've taken away are:
1. Make sure people are having fun
2. Make sure we're going into a game with similar expectations

So, basically I'm asking:
1. Is Dungeon World a good system for us to try to use?
2. How do avoid falling on my face, the second my players zag when I expected them to zig?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
With Dungeon World, definitely stick to all the GM moves and guidelines. They're extremely useful and will give you something to draw on. There's some modules as well that might be easy to use, like Slave Pits of Drazhu, but if you want to do your own thing, get an opening scene with something dangerous going on, and a few enemies and friends planned out semi-vaguely. Basically get a front sorted.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

The Glumslinger posted:

So, I've committed myself to trying to DM for a bunch of friends who have basically zero experience with D&D. Unfortunately, I'm basically the same, so we're all more or less starting from scratch. We all have a good general sense of RPGs and games in general, so hopefully we'll be able to do OK. Right now, I have 2 people 100% committed to playing, and another guy who is interested, but just had a kid, so his schedule is kind of hectic.

Right now, I'm looking at Dungeon World, as it seems like something that can let us get into playing a lot easier. What kind of prep should we do, so we can actually get through a reasonable amount of content in our first few sessions? Should we try out some pre-made modules or just try to wing it? What kind of stuff should I have on hand to make sure I'm prepared to deal with the stuff they want to do? I've already talked to them about trying to keep things a little sane while we (mainly me) figure out how everything works, but I don't want to put my foot down too hard on cool poo poo that I can't figure out how to handle.

I've read a decent chunk of this thread, and the main things I've taken away are:
1. Make sure people are having fun
2. Make sure we're going into a game with similar expectations

So, basically I'm asking:
1. Is Dungeon World a good system for us to try to use?
2. How do avoid falling on my face, the second my players zag when I expected them to zig?

I recently started GMing DW under almost the exact same circumstances. My biggest advice is be prepared to improvise. No amount of premade modules and prep will prevent your players from zagging so better to plan for it than get nervous and panicky when it inevitably happens.

Don't be afraid to pause and look in the book or at character sheets or whatever for a minute before speaking your move. Our last session went much better when I just embraced that I'm new at this and took my time, rather than forcing out bad moves to keep the pacing up.

From the player side, my players had a lot of board game baggage and it took a few sessions to get to the root of that. Tell your players that the best thing to do is make interesting moves, not optimal ones. DW doesn't have the strategic scaffolding of a game like Pandemic: Legacy, and treating it like it does will never be satisfying.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

One thing about Dungeon World is that more than half the time, you're the one who's zagging because they blew a roll.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Run a D&D Basic campaign. Get the Rules Cyclopedia and module B2 The Keep on the Borderlands.

Edit: I suppose I should also let you know on you can get the pdfs of both off Drivethru RPG for $15 total.

Cat Face Joe fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 26, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
When you're stuck for ideas, ask a question. Read the entire GM section from the book again, it's brilliant.

Let the players guide you. Ask about their weapons, pasts, relationships, clothing, anything. You'll find story there.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I've begun running a GURPS game for my girlfriend so she can get comfortable playing a tabletop RPG, and I can get a handle on DMing an actual game. I've had little bit of experience running a few Paranoia one shots.

The setting is basically Foxy Brown in the far future. I had intended it, honestly, as fairly rail roady since we're both kind of new. The idea being that the adventure started off with her trying to rescue an old informant/drug dealer turned straight from his old boss's headquarters, an rundown hotel. She was supposed to find clues leading to the next fella up the food chain and so on and so forth. She did really well. Too well in fact. She basically ghosted the whole adventure and put a .44 slug in the brain pan of the mysterious figure who as supposed to be the big bad of the campaign.

This means she didn't find any of the clues and I'm possibly out a villain. Although technically the mysterious stranger survived (thanks to some serious lucky HT rolls and the obscene amount of health I had the foresight to give him) and disappeared, so I have something to work with there. I also managed to shoehorn in a single clue at the end, a name that may or may not be an alias that I intend to be a local club owner/minor kingpin.

She did give me a couple of hooks and interesting wrinkles though. First, no one really saw her character except for the hotel bartender that she left a giant tip for. The bartender was supposed to be just a random mook keeping look out, but since she seemed to take a shine to him I'm thinking about making him more sympathetic and having him be a new source of information for her. This role was originally supposed to be filled by the fella she rescued, but he was in pretty poo poo shape when we left off and may not survive. Second, since no one really saw her and she was disguised as an employee of the hotel this seems like the sort of thing that could kick off a gang war, because the informant that she rescued ex-boss has some higher ups that are probably none too pleased with him. He was supposed to be showing the mysterious stranger a good time so they could secure a partnership, and it ended up with half the guys face blown off.

Right now I'm thinking about throwing out what I had planned and picking up the adventure a few days later with the hotel having burned down in a mysterious fire, and a rumor on the street that an unknown person (the bartender) has been asking around about her then just seeing how she reacts.

Sorry if this is a bit rambling. Like I said I'm more or less new at this and don't have anyone to bounce ideas off of. I did learn never to put anyone I don't want to die within line of sight of a PC though.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
It sounds awesome, and exactly what happens when I have stealthy players.

Roll with it, having your actions shape the world around you is a huge draw to a player.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

If it's a mysterious figure that died and she doesn't know any more about him, then it turns out he's only part-way up the chain and was actually not that important. Or, if it's more interesting, his operation collapses into a succession war with ex-underlings scrambling for his spot.

Or, her performance leads to her employer bragging about her to the wrong person who comes for revenge. Or they kill the employer and she has to figure it out.

The burned out hotel is a great set piece if she goes back, but I imagine the circumstances would be more dangerous since people are on alert now.

Rather than write plot points for a new campaign, I tend to assign npcs and boc factions objectives and motivations. The plot points then flow naturally from how the npcs and players respond to each other.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

LeschNyhan posted:

If it's a mysterious figure that died and she doesn't know any more about him, then it turns out he's only part-way up the chain and was actually not that important.

Or he's right at the top of the chain, but all the stuff you'd originally planned for him to do is now one of his underling's plans instead, and said underling now has a power vacuum to move into and start putting those plans into motion (but also peers who he's competing with for that power, who are now potential allies for your PC)