Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Well there's your problem. You need to look for tiny lizard-men.

Or just yell HUNTER JOHNSTON continuously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

El Axo Grande posted:

Bryan Danielson, Claudio Castignoli, and DDP should form a stable called "The Swell Fellas"

:colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The A-Team Van posted:

:colbert:

Why would he be in it? Has he ever called himself Fella?

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Burrito posted:

Someone showed me a picture of Delirious without his mask on and I kinda feel bad for knowing what he looks like now.

On the plus side, he looked just like I imagined.

I refuse to believe that an unmasked Delirious exists. The mask is actually permanent.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

CombineThresher posted:

Dallas Hart was training with Lance Storm for a while, but decided not to pursue wrestling. Besides, we should all be worried that Nash's kid and Hall's kid might get into the business. It's bad enough that Sid Vicious and the Sandman have wrestler kids.

The story Storm says is that Bret was the one who kinda was behind all of it. Dallas mentioned he was interested in being a wrestler, but Bret kind of ran with it, got him into Storm's class, and sent him there. Dallas wasn't actually ready to begin training or take it seriously, which is why he quit. It sounded kind of like if you told your day you were thinking about joining little league and the next day he shows up with the bat and jersey and says you have a game on Saturday.

Lone Rogue posted:

Well, if you actually look through the second and third generation wrestlers, a lot of times their dads were not the greatest in the ring. Compare Larry "The Ax" Hennig's career to Mr. Perfect.

That first sentence was what I knew was the beginning of some awesome horrible posting. You're comparing completely different eras of wrestling, of course they're different and you can't say "Hey, this guy from the 60s sucked." Larry Hennig was, in his era, a pretty big star and wrestled a style people paid to see.

Lone Rogue posted:

Stu Hart to Bret Hart.

This is great considering you're probably comparing Stu as an old fat guy to Bret in his peak. Stu was also a big star, good promoter, and Stampede and the Dungeon contributed more to wrestling in general than Hart did as one wrestler. But, again, you're comparing different things.

Lone Rogue posted:

Blackjack Mulligan to Barry Windham.

Mulligan was a headliner throughout the 70s and early 80s and had a good run with Bruno. Windham was no slouch but I don't think you can honestly say Windham was a bigger star than Mulligan. As for wrestling, they were in two different eras. Windham would have wrestled more like his dad if he started a decade or two earlier.

Lone Rogue posted:

John Cena Sr. to John Cena Jr (Okay, kind of a stretch I know).

As per usual, your shitposting reaches a finale. Just like every post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
When the ref raises the dude's arm 3 times to see if he's out or not, has anyone ever not kept their arm up? I can't think of a single time where the arm has fallen 3 times and ended the match.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Shitty_Wok posted:

When the ref raises the dude's arm 3 times to see if he's out or not, has anyone ever not kept their arm up? I can't think of a single time where the arm has fallen 3 times and ended the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxTTa_RLP0Y

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shitty_Wok posted:

Ricky Steamboat botched this once and let his arm fall three times. The match continued.

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well
edit: /\/\/\/\/\ That was at a Royal Rumble, too. They just pretended it was a four count the other guy was trying for. Surprisingly decent cover-up of a huge mistake on Steamboat's part.

Shitty_Wok posted:

I don't recall it happening in a loooong time, but I'm sure I remember it back in the day, when The Sleeper was a big finisher, that people went down like that. I'm pretty sure Brutus Beefcake used to win like that a bit, because that's how he'd know his opponents were out and he could cut their hair.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Brickhouse Betty posted:

I don't recall it happening in a loooong time,

It happened in 2002. I posted it up there. Watch it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Edwardian posted:

My six-year-old "Heeeey!"-ed at him. Claudio scowled convincingly for all of three seconds, and then laughed his rear end off.

Your six-year-old owns.

El Axo Grande posted:

Bryan Danielson, Claudio Castignoli, and DDP should form a stable called "The Swell Fellas"

I sent DDP a message on Youtube basically telling him I think he rules and thanking him for all the awesome stuff he did both in wrestling and out of it, and he actually took the time to answer me. DDP is the best. :unsmith:

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Well I'll be damned, ok thanks. Wouldn't have expected it to ever come from Hogan of all people.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Burrito posted:

Someone showed me a picture of Delirious without his mask on and I kinda feel bad for knowing what he looks like now.

On the plus side, he looked just like I imagined.

My life goal is to see him unmasked.

Please, can you send it to me.

I'm serious.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

ChampRamp posted:

My life goal is to see him unmasked.

Please, can you send it to me.

I'm serious.

http://imgur.com/35QMX.jpg

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

That was...fulfilling to say the least. :D

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Shitty_Wok posted:

Well I'll be damned, ok thanks. Wouldn't have expected it to ever come from Hogan of all people.

To be fair it was against Brock. You don't gently caress with Brock. Even if you're Hogan.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ChampRamp posted:

That was...fulfilling to say the least. :D

He's seriously exactly what you expected.

I've never seen anyone who was so much themselves.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WeaselWeaz posted:

That first sentence was what I knew was the beginning of some awesome horrible posting. You're comparing completely different eras of wrestling, of course they're different and you can't say "Hey, this guy from the 60s sucked." Larry Hennig was, in his era, a pretty big star and wrestled a style people paid to see.

Ugh.

Bret Hart was easily one of the ten greatest wrestlers of his generation.

Was Stu Hart?

Mr. Perfect wasn't that level, but if you ask around, people will tell you he was one of the best of his time. Was Larry Hennig?

That was my point. Had Bret Hart's dad been Lou Thesz, it would have been much more relative to their success level in the ring. I didn't say Larry, Blackjack and Stu sucked. I said they weren't the greatest.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Lone Rogue posted:

Ugh.

Bret Hart was easily one of the ten greatest wrestlers of his generation.

Was Stu Hart?

Mr. Perfect wasn't that level, but if you ask around, people will tell you he was one of the best of his time. Was Larry Hennig?

That was my point. Had Bret Hart's dad been Lou Thesz, it would have been much more relative to their success level in the ring. I didn't say Larry, Blackjack and Stu sucked. I said they weren't the greatest.

Stu Hart was pretty respected for his ability as a promoter. Larry Hennig was respected pretty well in the AWA because people liked his talent as a big tough guy who beat the poo poo out of people. Obviously he was good in that area. Mulligan is pretty respected as a good big man in his time. Of course he wasn't Lou Thesz, he's got like a foot and 100 lbs on the guy. Different styles. My point is you're going "These guys were not the greatest." Well, no poo poo, the greatest is a very slim group of guys. You're also using a very narrow set of parameters. These guys were, however, heavily respected by the fans and their peers. Also, the greatest don't have the best track record as far as their sons. Nobody remembers David Sammartino or David Flair that fondly.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WeaselWeaz posted:

Stu Hart was pretty respected for his ability as a promoter.

Yes, that has something to do with a person's wrestling ability.

WeaselWeaz posted:

These guys were, however, heavily respected by the fans and their peers.

No, really?

WeaselWeaz posted:

Also, the greatest don't have the best track record as far as their sons. Nobody remembers David Sammartino or David Flair that fondly.

That's funny, I think I recall making that point in my original post...

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I remember when I was a kid that Mabel was King of the Ring. Was KOTR just really not very prestigious at that point, or were they actually giving Mabel a significant push?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Was expecting just a picture of Keith Jardine.

Also, last page somebody asked about people living near wrestlers. I grew up in Parma, OH... which is most recently famous for giving us the Miz (also, we are members of the same fraternity). Also, I just moved out of Akron, OH which gave us Michael Tarver and I swear Caylen Croft (of the Dudebusters) was billed from there as well.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

DannoMack posted:

I remember when I was a kid that Mabel was King of the Ring. Was KOTR just really not very prestigious at that point, or were they actually giving Mabel a significant push?

IIRC in 1995 because "everyone knew" Shawn Michaels was going to win Vince picked someone else to win for reasons I can't remember.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Moose Bigelow posted:

IIRC in 1995 because "everyone knew" Shawn Michaels was going to win Vince picked someone else to win for reasons I can't remember.

I thought HBK got in poo poo for something and the Kliq pushed Vince to turn Bam Bam face so he wouldn't get the spot, leaving Vince to have to try someone else.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

DannoMack posted:

Kinda, they put him in the main event against Diesel at Summerslam 95. Match was as good as you think it would be.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Kinda, they put him in the main event against Diesel at Summerslam 95. Match was as good as you think it would be.

KOTR '95 kills me for so many reasons. I mean, Million Dollar Corporation was the top heel faction and you had a Lex Luger doing next to nothing with his contract up in the summer. It wouldn't be pretty, but why not turn Lex Luger heel by giving his crown to the Million Dollar Man and facing Lex Luger vs. Diesel? At least Luger had heat.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Hockles posted:

Also, last page somebody asked about people living near wrestlers. I grew up in Parma, OH... which is most recently famous for giving us the Miz (also, we are members of the same fraternity).

So is Raven, fyi

Kent State claims ownership of Nigel and Dolph

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

DannoMack posted:

Bascally it was a combination of a few things:

1. The roster was really really bad at that point. The main event guys were pretty much Bret, Diesel, Undertaker, and Michaels who was only just starting to get his big push.
2. They had to push someone for Diesel (who was champ at the time) to feud with heading into SummerSlam and there weren't really any main event heels.
3. No seriously the roster was awful.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Matlock posted:

So is Raven, fyi

That's pretty bad rear end. How'd you know that?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Hockles posted:

That's pretty bad rear end. How'd you know that?

I'll never tell :ninja:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
On the topic of living near wrestlers, I grew up in Moncton, New Brunswick, and there were a ton of wrestlers around there at one time or another. I don't know if any wrestlers live there still, but...

Emil Dupree ran Grand Prix Wrestling in Shediac, which is about a 10 minute drive from Moncton.
Rene Dupree is his son.
Emil was one of Roddy Piper's trainers. Piper told a story once about Dupree having him run in the waist deep mud of the Petitcodiac river in Moncton as part of his training.
Maryse was born in Quebec, but was raised in New Brunswick (though I'm not sure where exactly).
Edge lived in the dorms of the university in Moncton while touring around the Maritimes in his early years.
Kurrgan is from around here as well, and for a while after he left the WWE it wasn't uncommon to see him walking through the mall which is pretty drat surreal.

I also heard from someone that Rick Martel was born in Shediac, but I've never had that confirmed.

[edit] Also, Rocky Johnson is from Amherst, Nova Scotia, which is about a 40 minute drive away.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

Matlock posted:

I'll never tell :ninja:

You are Raven! You sly pooch!

What about me? What about Matlock?

I'm onto you, sunshine.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I lived in Stamford CT from birth until college, and sporadically since then. I have never met any wrestler outside of a wrestling event. Even when wrestlers came to my high school to do some talk on some positive message I didn't. What the heck.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cucka posted:

I'm onto you, sunshine.

YOU'RE WILLIAM REGAL :aaa:

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.
Apparently Jimmy Jacobs is from Grand Rapids, MI originally. That's the only pro wrestler I know of from my local area. Other than that, this state did give us The Sheik, Sabu, Kevin Nash, RVD, MCMG, Rhyno, and Monty Brown. Also, I had no idea that Bischoff was born in Detroit.

Edit: I almost forgot. Booger Bastion ran a wrestling school somewhere in the UP for a while.

A Dapper Man fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 20, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Oh yeah, Chyna used to live around here too. No one talks about her though, we prefer to only mention Dio and Adam Sandler.

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008
Ric Flair is from Charlotte, NC which is like 45 minutes away from me, and Cameron, NC is like 3 hours away from me, the place where Jeff & Matt Hardy came from. That's all I can think of, but yeah.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Karmine posted:

Bascally it was a combination of a few things:

1. The roster was really really bad at that point. The main event guys were pretty much Bret, Diesel, Undertaker, and Michaels who was only just starting to get his big push.
2. They had to push someone for Diesel (who was champ at the time) to feud with heading into SummerSlam and there weren't really any main event heels.
3. No seriously the roster was awful.

WWF Roster in June 1995: http://www.solie.org/wwf95.txt

"The Brooklyn Brawler" Steve
Lombardi, Bret "Hitman" Hart, "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels, Luke
Williams, Butch Miller, The Undertaker, Mike "I.R.S." Rotundo, "Tatanka"
Chris Chavis, "The King of Harts" Owen Hart, Barry Horowitz, Fatu, Scott
"Razor Ramon" Hall, Mr. Bob Backlund, Yokozuna, Bam-Bam Bigelow, Jerry "The
King" Lawler, "Made in the USA" Lex Luger, Moe, Mable, Billy Gunn, Bart
Gunn, The 1-2-3 Kid, Adam Bomb, "Big Daddy Cool" Diesel, Jean Pierre
LaFitte, Phil "Doink the Clown" Apollo, Alundra Blayze, "Double J." Jeff
Jarrett, Savio Vega, Bob "Spark Plugg" Holly, Duke "The Dumpster" Droese,
"The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith, King Kong Bundy, "The Portugese Man
'o War" Aldo Montoya, Henry Godwinn, Hakushi, Chris "Skip" Candido, Louie
"Rad Radford" Spicolli, Man Mountain Rock, "The Roadie" Brian Armstrong,
Jacob Blu, Eli Blu, "Psycho" Sid Justice, Bertha Faye, Hunter Hearst
Helmsley, Dan "Waylon Mercy" Spivey

In other words, they decided to push Mabel instead of Owen Hart (94's winner), Razor Ramon (who I believe might have been hurt), Bam Bam Bigelow, Lex Luger, Jeff Jarrett, British Bulldog and Sycho Sid. Bret and Taker too (Taker was in the KOTR actually) but both were considered not to need it.

I don't know, which SummerSlam '95 main event would you prefer:

Diesel vs. King Mabel
Diesel vs. King Luger
Diesel vs. King Bam Bam
Diesel vs. King Jarrett
Diesel vs. King Bulldog I
Diesel vs. King Sid

?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I live near the best wrestlers :}

Rob Terry is from Swansea. Don't let TNA's ring announcers lie to you about this matter any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

WWF Roster in June 1995: http://www.solie.org/wwf95.txt

In other words, they decided to push Mabel instead of Owen Hart (94's winner), Razor Ramon (who I believe might have been hurt), Bam Bam Bigelow, Lex Luger, Jeff Jarrett, British Bulldog and Sycho Sid. Bret and Taker too (Taker was in the KOTR actually) but both were considered not to need it.

Razor was hurt - Savio Vega basically made his debut at the KOTR, took Razor's place and lost in the finals to Mabel.