Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Panzeh posted:

More than 3 months in, i sit at a computer and do nothing all day, this is engineering, i guess.

I'm a civil engineer who's actually a surveyor who's actually a "GIS program manager", except I work for the feds so I don't actually do much of anything either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Panzeh posted:

More than 3 months in, i sit at a computer and do nothing all day, this is engineering, i guess.

This was the first 3 years of my career. Then I studied for my PE and Masters w all that free time. Now I’m at least 20% busy 10 years in

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
It feels like I've always been juggling 125% of an engineers workload for my entire career. My first job out of school, I was in a department that was around 10 engineers that had 65% utilization and I was 150% utilized for the first 8 months. I was on loan to an automation team and working on a new facility startup.

I'm currently a 'Lead' Process Engineer at a manufacturer that makes consumables for the semiconductor industry. I actually have a bunch of say at the site and what I really do now is drive other teams/the org towards visions that I frequently generate. I've got a competent manager for the first time in my career(~7 years) and a couple of weeks ago I learn that I'm being moved to a team with weaker leadership and engineering that hasn't delivered a good product/process to high volume in the last ~4 years that I have been here. I'd be easily very strong there, but I have also regularly been in conflict with this team to get them to do better or managed their manager, who is my new manager, to get the group to perform.

So obviously I am looking for another job. Problem is I am having a hard time reading the postings and thinking the role would be any good. I've stepped away from being an individual contributor and I don't really care to get back to that. I'm not a manager in my current role, but I do really lead a lot of initiatives spend time defining what good deliverables look like. I feel like I am wasting my time when I make some qualification report or sit down and make small updates to a work instruction. How do you weed out good opportunities from the things that would just be boring/unengaging in the first 6 months?

Should I really learn to not care and just daydream/sigh my way through the workdays?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 8, 2023

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

... new facility startup.

I'm currently a 'Lead' Process Engineer at a manufacturer that makes consumables for the semiconductor industry.

Should I really learn to not care and just daydream/sigh my way through the workdays?

Depends on if you really want to help the company by straightening out that group. Sounds like you know it's uphill so already checked out. If it's worth being a stepping stone and staying there, go tryhard and get out the group as fast as possible after acheiving something.

There are plenty of manufacturing facilities that need lead SME types, but you might have to branch out to a different skillset like pharma. Depends on how good you are at flexing to a different product line. 7 years isn't a fossil, and the things you learned apply to basically anywhere with a cleanroom.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

It feels like I've always been juggling 125% of an engineers workload for my entire career. My first job out of school, I was in a department that was around 10 engineers that had 65% utilization and I was 150% utilized for the first 8 months. I was on loan to an automation team and working on a new facility startup.

I'm currently a 'Lead' Process Engineer at a manufacturer that makes consumables for the semiconductor industry. I actually have a bunch of say at the site and what I really do now is drive other teams/the org towards visions that I frequently generate. I've got a competent manager for the first time in my career(~7 years) and a couple of weeks ago I learn that I'm being moved to a team with weaker leadership and engineering that hasn't delivered a good product/process to high volume in the last ~4 years that I have been here. I'd be easily very strong there, but I have also regularly been in conflict with this team to get them to do better or managed their manager, who is my new manager, to get the group to perform.

So obviously I am looking for another job. Problem is I am having a hard time reading the postings and thinking the role would be any good. I've stepped away from being an individual contributor and I don't really care to get back to that. I'm not a manager in my current role, but I do really lead a lot of initiatives spend time defining what good deliverables look like. I feel like I am wasting my time when I make some qualification report or sit down and make small updates to a work instruction. How do you weed out good opportunities from the things that would just be boring/unengaging in the first 6 months?

I’m pretty sure there are a ton of manufacturing engineering jobs in my city, you just might need to widen the industries you’re looking in to find something you’re interested in.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Nothing like waking up with a hot cup of coffee and an email from a more senior engineer that starts with

"Hey Gorman Thomas, You were right. I should've performed some more manual testing to confirm the results I was getting. Sorry."

We're still eating poo poo on this project but at least I'm not the bottleneck baby!!!

edit: 24 hours later, my hubris has done me in, for I am the bottleneck once again

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 23, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Has anyone here had success using offers to leverage raises in the tech (semiconductors) industry? I’m pretty sure I could get an offer if I started responding to these recruiters on LinkedIn, but I don’t actually want to leave. I do thermal & CFD analysis and really like my current role, coworkers, and company, with the major exception that I’ve been doing the workload of like 3 people for several months.

For the past 18 months my specific group within the company has made offers to basically everyone that interviews for a position doing what I do, because we have lost people as fast as we have hired them despite the roadmap calling for significant expansion. I am currently the ONLY CFD analyst doing my specific role when a year ago there were 4 of us (2 left and the other does different stuff within our team now). We have one more coming in January (internal transfer) and another in mid November. But even then we’ll still be under resourced.

It’s a large company so comp follows a pretty rigid structure of pay grades and targets within grades. I’m not really interested in grinding for the next pay grade up (which would be like a functional architect) I just want to get paid better to do this without having to job hop like so many people are doing around me lately.

The old guy who retired about 6 months after I joined always used to say the only way to make more money as an engineer is job hopping.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 13, 2022

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

bawfuls posted:

Has anyone here had success using offers to leverage raises in the tech (semiconductors) industry? I’m pretty sure I could get an offer if I started responding to these recruiters on LinkedIn, but I don’t actually want to leave. I do thermal & CFD analysis and really like my current role, coworkers, and company, with the major exception that I’ve been doing the workload of like 3 people for several months.

For the past 18 months my specific group within the company has made offers to basically everyone that interviews for a position doing what I do, because we have lost people as fast as we have hired them despite the roadmap calling for significant expansion. I am currently the ONLY CFD analyst doing my specific role when a year ago there were 4 of us (2 left and the other does different stuff within our team now). We have one more coming in January (internal transfer) and another in mid November. But even then we’ll still be under resourced.

It’s a large company so comp follows a pretty rigid structure of pay grades and targets within grades. I’m not really interested in grinding for the next pay grade up (which would be like a functional architect) I just want to get paid better to do this without having to job hop like so many people are doing around me lately.

The old guy who retired about 6 months after I joined always used to say the only way to make more money as an engineer is job hopping.

Using an offer to get a raise can be risky as it marks you as a flight risk. Might be different in your industry, but I've done it once successfully (at a job I recently started but had impressed early to get hired direct instead of contract + a pay bump) and once very unsuccessfully (was let go under questionable circumstances a month after getting the raise).

Anecdotally, I've also mainly gotten pay raises through job hopping, but those have mainly due to being unhappy at the current job or just being laid off with the pay bumps coming as a nice bonus on top of the change of scenery.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bawfuls posted:

[…]

This is gonna come down to your relationship with your manager and their political capital. It’ll fall to your manager to get you this raise. It’ll fall to you to motivate them and provide the ammo they need to justify it.

Doing it the way you’re thinking is risky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it sours your critical relationships, sometimes both. Usually it doesn’t work. Also it’s often slow. Expect 6 months if this is a 10,000+ person company.

So, how respected is your manager and how is your relationship with them?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i think just from the PoV of the employee-employer relationship it's fundamentally a bad tactic. of course employers in a field where labour is in low supply are always worried about loss of talent and should (ideally) be compensating you competitively to deter you from leaving. but by going to them with a veiled threat of "i could be making more money elsewhere, see? you don't want me to leave and go elsewhere, do you?" and realizing that fear, it is more of an extortion than a value proposition. and like others have said, it may make them antsy as you've now implied you're ready to quit in search of more money if your demands are not met. and if they do refuse to meet your demands, and you stay anyway, you've neutered yourself for future salary negotiations at that org altogether.

i think it's better to approach it conventionally and have a frank chat about industry salaries and why you should make that/more than that or whatever. if they're not willing to entertain paying you more as compensation for your effort, i think they'd be even less inclined to keep you around after an ultimatum, even if successful

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

dxt posted:

Using an offer to get a raise can be risky as it marks you as a flight risk. Might be different in your industry, but I've done it once successfully (at a job I recently started but had impressed early to get hired direct instead of contract + a pay bump) and once very unsuccessfully (was let go under questionable circumstances a month after getting the raise).
We’ve had high turnover the entire 3 years I’ve been working here. They should view everyone as a flight risk right now. On top of this the stated plan is to grow headcount site wide by like 50% over the next couple years.

Though that seems to suggest I won’t have much success since everyone else is resorting to leaving to get raises.

CarForumPoster posted:

This is gonna come down to your relationship with your manager and their political capital. It’ll fall to your manager to get you this raise. It’ll fall to you to motivate them and provide the ammo they need to justify it.

Doing it the way you’re thinking is risky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it sours your critical relationships, sometimes both. Usually it doesn’t work. Also it’s often slow. Expect 6 months if this is a 10,000+ person company.

So, how respected is your manager and how is your relationship with them?
Thats tough. My current manager is newly promoted to the position which itself is new in the past two months. Previously the CFD and FEA team was under the umbrella of a larger design group. But both have been growing and are expected to continue to grow so this year the analysis group got its own manager promoted from within our team. This is definitely a good thing and gives us a dedicated representative at that level. He’s competent and we have a good relationship but he is highly technical in nature and experience. I don’t really know yet how good he is at advocating for us because he’s so new to the role. Perhaps this is the first test.

My previous manager is extremely well liked within the company by those below and above him. He is still here but recently got a major promotion. The analysis team was built and grown under his watch so the current situation is the result of his efforts over the past 5-6 years. I have a good relationship with him still and I considered asking him for advice indirectly. In my last annual review with him he said he wanted to work on getting me more visibility in the company this year which should help with this stuff. But then we lost some people, boss got promoted, team became its own and I’ve spent all year just grinding to keep up with the workload.

Everyone I work with seems to know the analysis team in general and myself in particular are overtaxed right now, though I don’t think that’s the “visibility” my former manager was getting at. People know that I’m the go-to guy for this particular set of problems. When they come to me looking for help putting out fires I show them my JIRA board and they inevitably react “drat! Let me reassess the urgency of this and get back to you,” though usually the result is working with them to simplify the problem and get a satisfactory answer with the minimum time requirement.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 13, 2022

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It's not a good strategy unless you are for-real willing to leave for the other offer. If you don't have a good option if/when they say "no" to your ask, you're not negotiating, you're begging. Even then the optimal play is usually to leave, since there's a good chance you'll be regarded as a flight risk forevermore. If they haven't adjusted their strategy to adjust for the fact that they are bleeding talent, that is on them, but being willing to punish them for underpaying (as your former colleagues did) is entirely on you.

The negotiation thread in BFC might be a good resource.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I've only seen this play out from a distance, but my observations:

1) The people who do this ultimately end up quitting later anyhow. Though I suppose these are more often cases where they wanted out and got suckered back in with promises of change and desperate managers throwing money at them, rather than actually wanting to stay but with higher pay.

2) Companies with rigid pay bands are super unlikely to bend. Usually this will get shot down by some faceless HR manager 1000 miles away with an e-mail saying, "Our market analysis has determined that our compensation is competitive in our industry." I mean, it's nice to know your peers within the company are getting paid similarly, but this usually comes with the downside of not being able to fudge numbers for top performers.

Some more opinion-based thoughts:

If you plop down a competing offer on your boss's desk and demand a raise, now you're a flight risk. I mean, they should always assume this anyhow, but it's different once you prove it, so now the trust is gone. And if they deny the raise and you end up staying, now you've shown your hand and are more or less stuck until you're actually willing to leave.

Similarly, what if they give you the raise? That means the money was always there for the asking, but you had to jump through hoops to get it. Now you can't trust them to pay you fairly for your work until you threaten to quit.

I feel like ultimately a frank discussion with your boss is a better first step. If you're busting rear end and doing 3 people's worth of work, they need to know it and they need to do their job to either alleviate the stress or bump your pay (or, preferably, both). If you get denied, then you start looking for a new job (or simply adjust your work output accordingly...).

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 13, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I appreciate the feedback, definitely sounds like presenting another offer isn’t the best tactic, which is good because that’s also time consuming.

I can put together a strong case for why I deserve more, and I am thinking more and more that reaching out to my former boss for some general guidance could be useful.

The other open question is timing. I have regular one-on-one meetings with my manager maybe once or twice a month, in addition to the regular semi annual reviews. At the annual reviews thus far, the manager presents bonus and raise info that’s already been determined. That makes me think I should bring this up to my manager this fall, ahead of the annual review so that he can advocate for me with HR or whatever ahead of time.

Does this make sense? Should I come to my next one-on-one prepped to make a case rather than wait for official annual review time?

This is the first big corporate job I’ve had, as I worked for a small startup the first 5 years out of school. So I’m still learning to navigate all this stuff.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bawfuls posted:

I can put together a strong case for why I deserve more, and I am thinking more and more that reaching out to my former boss for some general guidance could be useful.

The other open question is timing. I have regular one-on-one meetings with my manager maybe once or twice a month, in addition to the regular semi annual reviews. At the annual reviews thus far, the manager presents bonus and raise info that’s already been determined. That makes me think I should bring this up to my manager this fall, ahead of the annual review so that he can advocate for me with HR or whatever ahead of time.

Does this make sense? Should I come to my next one-on-one prepped to make a case rather than wait for official annual review time?

This is the first big corporate job I’ve had, as I worked for a small startup the first 5 years out of school. So I’m still learning to navigate all this stuff.

You think you can put together a strong case. You probably need your manager to guide you on building that case. What they tell you is needed and what’s actually needed are different. Newly promoted from IC manager is not a good look for success 7/10 times, but again depends. If they have a good mentor, or you do, that can help a lot.

If you have a preexisting relationship with your bosses boss cause you used to be a direct report, going for advice in a soft way might be okay if it is already known they’re mentoring you or at least you had a very good relationship. DO NOT GO ABOVE YOUR BOSS FOR THE RAISE WITHOUT TALKING TO THEM. Do not give the APPEARANCE of doing this. If you look like you’re implying your brand new newly promoted boss is ineffective, even by accident, big oof. It’s good to talk to your skiplevel, but don’t undermine your new boss.

Not sure when the annual review is but depending on company you may be surprised how early that is decided. This is a problem with a wet behind the ears frontline manager. You should think on it, find more tactical advice that pertains to your situation only from people who have been managers at similar companies (prob not me) A director or 5+ years manager that’s way out of your reporting chain that you know well is a good one to go to for advice.

There’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes at a large company. Everyone wants raises for their people.

Bring this up with your manager sooner rather than later. Doesn’t have to be next one on one.

Consider getting that raise externally if it’s real money.

Check out the first half of this book, don’t need the whole thing: https://www.amazon.com/Managers-Path-Leaders-Navigating-Growth/dp/1491973897/

This won’t tell you what to do for this situation, but it will give you an idea of the things your new boss should be thinking about. This will help you evaluate their effectiveness and considerations.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 13, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah to be clear my old boss is NOT my boss’s boss now. He’s in a different vertical or whatever.

Will check out that book, a better understanding of what to be looking for in my manager would be valuable.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bawfuls posted:

Yeah to be clear my old boss is NOT my boss’s boss now. He’s in a different vertical or whatever.

Ahh if they’re well outside your chain of command and you have a good relationship with them getting some advice on how to approach this predicament with your boss leading with how much you wanna stay could work well!

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So I might be getting close to starting my first ever job hunt and am looking for a little advice - some background:

I've been working at the same company/plant full-time for ~8.5 years now. I graduated ChemE and did plant/process/manufacturing/whatever ya wanna call it engineering for the first half of that, and for the latter half I've been mostly doing DCS/Controls engineering at the same site which I've kinda developed a real fondness of. I'm still working this job currently and love it, but within the next year or two I really need to move to Nashville and I doubt I'll be able to stick with this company/role (no plants up there, and although I can work remote, I can't work *that* remote). I've had a hell of a time finding anything close to what I'm doing now through the regular job search websites, though!

I've got kind of a hybrid background since I started in a traditional ChemE role and I don't mind going back to that, but I'd definitely prefer to stick to process controls. I should also mention that my controls-specific experience is relatively narrow being DeltaV DCS for a chemical plant. I have a general awareness of other DCS/PLC stuff out there, but DeltaV is the only one I have a working knowledge with.

Anybody have knowledge of the Nashville area that may help me refine my searches? Or maybe alternative roles/titles I may qualify for that I can't currently think of? Or any experience with recruiting services that could let me know when something opens up? I'm not in any particular hurry currently, so I'm hoping I've got time to actually find something that keeps me working with DCS in some capacity.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Traitorous Leopard posted:

So I might be getting close to starting my first ever job hunt and am looking for a little advice - some background:

I've been working at the same company/plant full-time for ~8.5 years now. I graduated ChemE and did plant/process/manufacturing/whatever ya wanna call it engineering for the first half of that, and for the latter half I've been mostly doing DCS/Controls engineering at the same site which I've kinda developed a real fondness of. I'm still working this job currently and love it, but within the next year or two I really need to move to Nashville and I doubt I'll be able to stick with this company/role (no plants up there, and although I can work remote, I can't work *that* remote). I've had a hell of a time finding anything close to what I'm doing now through the regular job search websites, though!

I've got kind of a hybrid background since I started in a traditional ChemE role and I don't mind going back to that, but I'd definitely prefer to stick to process controls. I should also mention that my controls-specific experience is relatively narrow being DeltaV DCS for a chemical plant. I have a general awareness of other DCS/PLC stuff out there, but DeltaV is the only one I have a working knowledge with.

Anybody have knowledge of the Nashville area that may help me refine my searches? Or maybe alternative roles/titles I may qualify for that I can't currently think of? Or any experience with recruiting services that could let me know when something opens up? I'm not in any particular hurry currently, so I'm hoping I've got time to actually find something that keeps me working with DCS in some capacity.

I don't know about the Nashville area or what DeltaV DCS is, but here in the twin cities MN area controls engineers are in high demand so any sort of controls/PLC experience is a huge plus even if your experience isn't entirely related. I'd try applying to anything controls engineer related in the area.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

dxt posted:

I don't know about the Nashville area or what DeltaV DCS is, but here in the twin cities MN area controls engineers are in high demand so any sort of controls/PLC experience is a huge plus even if your experience isn't entirely related. I'd try applying to anything controls engineer related in the area.

That was a question I forgot to ask! I'm certainly open to learning other systems (and I'm sure there's a bunch of overlap between DeltaV and other DCS), but wasn't sure if leaning on that would get me very far haha.

DeltaV is just a brand of Distributed Control System made by Emerson. I think Honeywell and Siemens also have their own DCS for example. It's the computer software/hardware we run big chemical plants with (as opposed to something like PLC for smaller applications).

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 26, 2022

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
DeltaV should be pretty solid to have on your resume, particularly for a ChemE since that's more used for process industry stuff.

To be sure, I'm more traditional machine controls/automation, but I'd think the keywords you want for a job search are controls, DCS, instrumentation, process, manufacturing, automation, etc. They won't all hit what you're looking for, but there's enough overlap/variance in titles that you'll want to check them all out.

Have you looked in to water/wastewater? Should be able to find that around any major metro area. I don't know a TON about it, but I would think that your background might work out. They usually prefer PEs, but my understanding is that they'll still take people without as long as you can do the job, you just might be a bit limited in your career progression (but in automation you shouldn't ever expect much in the way of advancement anyhow).

I hesitate to recommend this, but Pharma manufacturing might be a good fit as well I think. Again, not my particular industry, but DeltaV is big in that space. As long as you like to fill out 3 reams of paperwork to make a single change, that is...

Might also consider branching out in to more traditional controls work if that's what strikes your fancy. Most major cities will a healthy job market for that. Not having the electrical background might hurt you a bit, but knowing high level engineering stuff and having worked with a DCS is a good start.

Biggest thing would be just to make sure your LinkedIn is up to date and has the right keywords in it (as well as making sure your location is where you want to work). Recruiters will find you... trust me, they WILL find you, whether you want them to or not.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

DaveSauce posted:

DeltaV should be pretty solid to have on your resume, particularly for a ChemE since that's more used for process industry stuff.

To be sure, I'm more traditional machine controls/automation, but I'd think the keywords you want for a job search are controls, DCS, instrumentation, process, manufacturing, automation, etc. They won't all hit what you're looking for, but there's enough overlap/variance in titles that you'll want to check them all out.

Have you looked in to water/wastewater? Should be able to find that around any major metro area. I don't know a TON about it, but I would think that your background might work out. They usually prefer PEs, but my understanding is that they'll still take people without as long as you can do the job, you just might be a bit limited in your career progression (but in automation you shouldn't ever expect much in the way of advancement anyhow).

I hesitate to recommend this, but Pharma manufacturing might be a good fit as well I think. Again, not my particular industry, but DeltaV is big in that space. As long as you like to fill out 3 reams of paperwork to make a single change, that is...

Might also consider branching out in to more traditional controls work if that's what strikes your fancy. Most major cities will a healthy job market for that. Not having the electrical background might hurt you a bit, but knowing high level engineering stuff and having worked with a DCS is a good start.

Biggest thing would be just to make sure your LinkedIn is up to date and has the right keywords in it (as well as making sure your location is where you want to work). Recruiters will find you... trust me, they WILL find you, whether you want them to or not.

Agreed with all this. I do machine controls and have worked with other controls engineers with a more mechanical background, the electrical side of controls isn't too complicated generally (just connecting/powering things and making sure everything is sized correctly) so just having done the programming side will open a lot of doors for you.

Update your linkedIn and have a resume up on Indeed and recruiters will be bothering you in no time.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Long shot but Delek is based in Nashville. They don't have any plants there but you might be able to get a corporate job in their HQ.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Appreciate the input, y'all!

DaveSauce posted:

Water/Wastewater seems to be one of the few things that does consistently show up, so it's something I'd def consider. And I'm a big fan of the actual design/implementation of control schemes in DeltaV so I'm open to pretty much anything with that!

dxt posted:

Agreed with all this. I do machine controls and have worked with other controls engineers with a more mechanical background, the electrical side of controls isn't too complicated generally (just connecting/powering things and making sure everything is sized correctly) so just having done the programming side will open a lot of doors for you.

Update your linkedIn and have a resume up on Indeed and recruiters will be bothering you in no time.

Yeah, I get messages from recruiters fairly frequently on LinkedIn already even though I don't think I'm flagged as looking for a job haha. Guess that would be a good way to generate even more interest! Also didn't know I could specify where I was looking as well (I've barely fooled around with my account other than listing job history/experience).

spf3million posted:

Long shot but Delek is based in Nashville. They don't have any plants there but you might be able to get a corporate job in their HQ.

I'll check 'em out!

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
I'm not sure where to ask this exactly but any advice on cracking into an embedded engineering position? I graduated winter 2021 with a bachelor's in EE but did not land an internship anywhere. I was able to get work doing pcb repair and very light circuit design and have been unable to secure anything over the year. At this point I'm not sure if its my resume or lack of experience that's holding me back. Would getting my EIT be beneficial or should I focus on completing more projects and getting a git portfolio going? I'm at wits end and trying to get my foot in at any part of the embedded/fpga field.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Spambort posted:

I'm not sure where to ask this exactly but any advice on cracking into an embedded engineering position? I graduated winter 2021 with a bachelor's in EE but did not land an internship anywhere. I was able to get work doing pcb repair and very light circuit design and have been unable to secure anything over the year. At this point I'm not sure if its my resume or lack of experience that's holding me back. Would getting my EIT be beneficial or should I focus on completing more projects and getting a git portfolio going? I'm at wits end and trying to get my foot in at any part of the embedded/fpga field.

There are hobbyist FPGA kits, I’d start with thinking up a project that you can enjoy building and then build it. Ones that you can portray as a useful product are ideal. If someone won’t give you experience, gotta make your own.

Post your resume in the BFC resume thread for advice, multiple engineering or tech hiring managers.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Do you have experience writing software? What area of embedded are you interested in? Hardware design, software, FPGAs?

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Spambort posted:

I don't work in embedded, but I don't think an EIT would be useful. EIT/PE is generally only useful in government/more regulated positions. There could be some applications where it would help, but I don't it would help for most positions.

Agree on having your resume looked up/maybe trying some projects on your own.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I work on software in embedded and I don't know of anyone with a EIT/PE, that kinda thing really only seems relevant to civil engineers and the like.

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
thanks for the advice i'll cancel the eit and look into some projects to work on

Popete posted:

Do you have experience writing software? What area of embedded are you interested in? Hardware design, software, FPGAs?

yeah i've got like 1.5-2 years of C experience primarily working with PSoC microcontrollers and some real time OS. I recently purchased a raspberry pi and i have been learning some python but after that i'm not sure where to go next: c++ which seems to be pretty in demand and FPGA and everything within like RTL, UVM and all. as for what area, its all cool to me and at this point i'm interested in a job in the field so any part of the dev processes

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

To be a bit frank, I’m not sure how you are having problems at least getting call backs/interviews. The root cause may be deeper, are there more details you can share - Types/# of jobs you’ve applied to (maybe you are targeting poorly), any bites on your applications (maybe your resume is unfocused), any feedback from recruiters or managers (maybe your interviewing is lacking). Are you in a notable metro area?

Outside of Tech companies that are shedding people now, I’ve only known of EEs and Embedded SWEs to be in incredibly high demand and the bar to hire, even new grads, to not be high at all. Specifically in Defense during my last go around. Maybe things have changed for them too in the past couple of quarters?

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 5, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Spambort posted:

thanks for the advice i'll cancel the eit and look into some projects to work on

yeah i've got like 1.5-2 years of C experience primarily working with PSoC microcontrollers and some real time OS. I recently purchased a raspberry pi and i have been learning some python but after that i'm not sure where to go next: c++ which seems to be pretty in demand and FPGA and everything within like RTL, UVM and all. as for what area, its all cool to me and at this point i'm interested in a job in the field so any part of the dev processes

I work for a small company but you usually pick an area and that is your focus. By that I mean if you wanna do hardware you're usually an EE and you're going to be doing schematics and PCB layout along with board bring up. If you wanna do software you're going to be a full-time embedded software developer and that is still mostly C/C++ although Python and other scripting languages are useful to know, don't get hung up on learning a bunch of languages you need to learn how the software and hardware interact at the lowest levels. If you wanna do FPGA Verilog/VHDL than you're probably going to be an FPGA dev full time.

Of course in embedded all 3 of these areas are highly intertwined so if you're a hardware engineer you will likely still be doing some C/python software to help test your design during board bring up. If you're an FPGA dev you will likely be working closely with the hardware and software teams during design and development phases.

It could be your resume is a bit too scattershot if you're applying for hardware/fpga/software positions using the same resume. You might want to focus your search in a specific area you're interested in and tailor your resume to reflect that. If you honestly don't know what area you'd like to focus on then keep playing around with dev kits, get an FPGA kit to practice writing Verilog, download EAGLE PCB software and create your own hardware. Also learn how to use common debugging tools like oscilloscopes, JTAG debuggers, logic analyzers, employers want to see that you know how to dig into problems and debug them on your own.

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012

Crazyweasel posted:

To be a bit frank, I’m not sure how you are having problems at least getting call backs/interviews. The root cause may be deeper, are there more details you can share - Types/# of jobs you’ve applied to (maybe you are targeting poorly), any bites on your applications (maybe your resume is unfocused), any feedback from recruiters or managers (maybe your interviewing is lacking). Are you in a notable metro area?

Outside of Tech companies that are shedding people now, I’ve only known of EEs and Embedded SWEs to be in incredibly high demand and the bar to hire, even new grads, to not be high at all. Specifically in Defense during my last go around. Maybe things have changed for them too in the past couple of quarters?

i'm in so.cal so its not an area issues; ive been applying to any and every embedded/EE job i can see that's looking for <5 years experience. I'm mostly not getting any bites; either no response or "we're going with more experienced candidates" rejections. Mostly applying through linkedin and my school's handshake site as i'm not aware of better options. I posted my resume in the resume thread if you'd like to tear into that.

Popete posted:

I work for a small company but you usually pick an area and that is your focus. By that I mean if you wanna do hardware you're usually an EE and you're going to be doing schematics and PCB layout along with board bring up. If you wanna do software you're going to be a full-time embedded software developer and that is still mostly C/C++ although Python and other scripting languages are useful to know, don't get hung up on learning a bunch of languages you need to learn how the software and hardware interact at the lowest levels. If you wanna do FPGA Verilog/VHDL than you're probably going to be an FPGA dev full time.

Of course in embedded all 3 of these areas are highly intertwined so if you're a hardware engineer you will likely still be doing some C/python software to help test your design during board bring up. If you're an FPGA dev you will likely be working closely with the hardware and software teams during design and development phases.

It could be your resume is a bit too scattershot if you're applying for hardware/fpga/software positions using the same resume. You might want to focus your search in a specific area you're interested in and tailor your resume to reflect that. If you honestly don't know what area you'd like to focus on then keep playing around with dev kits, get an FPGA kit to practice writing Verilog, download EAGLE PCB software and create your own hardware. Also learn how to use common debugging tools like oscilloscopes, JTAG debuggers, logic analyzers, employers want to see that you know how to dig into problems and debug them on your own.
Thanks again, going to grab an FPGA kit and tinker with it. I have a handful of SoCs that I already work with as well as the raspberry pi micro i've mentioned. I've been working with schematics and trying to make PCBs with KiCAD, since it's free, is that an okay substitute?

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Spambort posted:

i'm in so.cal so its not an area issues; ive been applying to any and every embedded/EE job i can see that's looking for <5 years experience. I'm mostly not getting any bites; either no response or "we're going with more experienced candidates" rejections. Mostly applying through linkedin and my school's handshake site as i'm not aware of better options. I posted my resume in the resume thread if you'd like to tear into that.

I've had good success looking on indeed for engineering jobs, try there.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Popete posted:

I work on software in embedded and I don't know of anyone with a EIT/PE, that kinda thing really only seems relevant to civil engineers and the like.

I mean, it's relevant to EEs that do design. It's a stepping stone toward PEs/stamping in most states, which is very relevant for a lot of AEs. Firm I work at will absolutely prioritize EE EITs over non-EITs.

I have no idea about software or embedded fields, so sure it may be pointless there, I was just pointing out it's not just useful to civil/other engineers.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Pander posted:

I mean, it's relevant to EEs that do design. It's a stepping stone toward PEs/stamping in most states, which is very relevant for a lot of AEs. Firm I work at will absolutely prioritize EE EITs over non-EITs.

I have no idea about software or embedded fields, so sure it may be pointless there, I was just pointing out it's not just useful to civil/other engineers.

A PE is necessary if you're doing work that isn't covered by an industrial exemption, but I can't think of anything that an embedded systems engineer would work on that wouldn't fall under the industrial exemption. Maybe traffic control systems?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Chairman posted:

A PE is necessary if you're doing work that isn't covered by an industrial exemption, but I can't think of anything that an embedded systems engineer would work on that wouldn't fall under the industrial exemption. Maybe traffic control systems?

I really hope engineering societies push to remove those industrial exemptions. That you can do major civil/mech/electrical/etc. work at a mine (for example) with no PE is wild. Sure the public isn't there but the workers are.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
In my state getting a PE requires passing the FE, getting X years of experience and having Y current PEs writing a letter saying your work is PE quality/real engineering. With industrial exemptions the first two are easy. But if you've never worked with/for a PE at the widget factory? Oh well enjoy being an EI/EIT forevermore.

In my experience only civil engineers get/need PEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Molybdenum posted:

In my state getting a PE requires passing the FE, getting X years of experience and having Y current PEs writing a letter saying your work is PE quality/real engineering. With industrial exemptions the first two are easy. But if you've never worked with/for a PE at the widget factory? Oh well enjoy being an EI/EIT forevermore.

In my experience only civil engineers get/need PEs.

In your experience at what? In my field (industrial multidisciplinary design AE firm) they're necessary for mechanicals, structurals, and electricals at minimum. And we don't have any civils. So depending on context, PE mileage varies.

I'd just argue if it's in your power to get, get it. It cannot hurt your career to get a PE license.