Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

AsInHowe posted:

The key to Darren Rovell is not to follow @DarrenRovell, but to follow @RovellReplies only.

That's where I got it. I don't follow that turd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I read it more as 'ha ha he missed a lot of stuff' given the contexts of the other things he said. I don't really know the guy's work so maybe I'm wrong but that seemed like a clumsy joke more than 'gently caress you Jenner'.

We've gone over this before but his work was basically 'holy poo poo this is interesting as hell and I'm glad I read it!' at first and for the last decade or so has been 'gently caress you got mine and I'm doing no actual research, also I'm a racist jerk.' I agree this was a joke but he's sucked for a while.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Spoeank posted:

Rovell might need his own thread because he's his own brand ( :v: ) of lovely

To me this is an acceptable and funny joke because he's pointing out how much has changed since the last time the Warriors won a title: it's been so long that Bruce Jenner changed from a national hero to a murderer.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

To me this is an acceptable and funny joke because he's pointing out how much has changed since the last time the Warriors won a title: it's been so long that Bruce Jenner changed from a national hero to a murderer.

See, now this is funny

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grittybeard posted:

We've gone over this before but his work was basically 'holy poo poo this is interesting as hell and I'm glad I read it!' at first and for the last decade or so has been 'gently caress you got mine and I'm doing no actual research, also I'm a racist jerk.' I agree this was a joke but he's sucked for a while.

Fair enough.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Now this, this is a solid rear end 'I'm out of the loop on Jenner's stuff' joke.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

this is the funniest article of all time

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/page/BelmontPharoah/2015-belmont-stakes-american-pharoah-triple-crown-horse-not-humans

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mitch albom is not happy with the criticism of shirtless Jim Harbaugh: http://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/mitch-albom/2015/06/06/mitch-albom-sunday-column/28605725/

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Wow, Mitch is really ticked off that people don't like when he takes his shirt off in public.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Mitch has body image issues :smith:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Dude sounds like he's heading to be the next Mr. Hands

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Writing about horse racing brings out the absolute worst elements of sportswriting.

quote:

The gods are pleased.

Now we know why this took so long, why it had been 37 years since a horse won the Triple Crown of horse racing. It's because the right horse hadn't come along in all that time.

Good horses have tried to win. So have very good horses. Even special horses. But they all fell short and that's because this is something so difficult, so demanding that it can be accomplished only by those who are among the greatest horses that ever lived. Over these many years and 13 failed Triple Crown attempts, it has seemed like the gods -- call them the gods of the Triple Crown -- would not allow the pretenders to cross the wire first in the Belmont Stakes. They knew, as we all do now, that the Funny Cides, Real Quiets, War Emblems, Pleasant Colonys et al were not worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Secretariat, Affirmed, Citation and the eight other greats who made racing history at Belmont Park.

They were waiting for the right one, and they found him Saturday at Belmont Park in American Pharoah, the horse who is so perfect the only thing wrong with him is that his name is spelled incorrectly.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

quote:

BELMONT, N.Y. -- There he was parading about in the winner's circle, the world's greatest athlete, his muscles and veins bulging as if he were hooked up to some overheated generator about to explode.

American Pharoah was sweating profusely under a fading sun, huffing and puffing and flaring his nostrils for dramatic effect after conquering a mile-and-a-half test of character and will that had broken so many lesser horses before him.

The bay colt turned his head just so to shoot a bloodshot glance from his left eye at the unruly admirers fighting to take his picture. I was almost close enough to reach out and touch him, not that I would've ever dared. In the presence of greatness, I couldn't help but think this horse deserved to be written up on Steinbeck's laptop, or Hemingway's, and certainly not mine.

lol

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
"Steinbeck's laptop" thank you horse racing for my new Twitter handle.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Every time I read horse racing articles like that, I always think about that old Jerry Seinfeld routine about what's going through a horse's mind after a race.

"Oat bag, I get my oat bag now! Oat bag time for me!"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So is American Pharaoh now more magical than Barbaro or is Barbaro still the most magnificent cancer curing superhorse?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Nobody tell the Americans sportswriter that racehorses are on PEDs up to their eyeballs.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

davecrazy posted:

Nobody tell the Americans sportswriter that racehorses are on PEDs up to their eyeballs.

It's OK, they don't play baseball or anything

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

OctoberBlues posted:

Every time I read horse racing articles like that, I always think about that old Jerry Seinfeld routine about what's going through a horse's mind after a race.

"Oat bag, I get my oat bag now! Oat bag time for me!"

The world's most powerful and successful athlete, dripping with sweat, jogged back to his stable. His adulating fans patted him on his haunches, his jockey and employer hugged him and inhaled deeply from his mane. Upon his bed of hay lounged three mares of the highest breeding. Unfazed, he whinnied, "Fools, I just won the Triple Crown! Bring me my oat bag!" As his hooves pounded upon the dirt in the glare of the sun that afternoon in Elmort, it was not dreams of money or sex that motivated him. Neigh, the world's greatest athlete has always found refuge in the simple pleasure of the oat bag. And so they brought him his Versace oat bag lined with gold trim, and he thought, "oh gently caress yeah, bout to get my OAT on," and he did, chewing through nothing but the finest organic cruelty-free oats that money can buy until his hunger was sated.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Sash! posted:

So is American Pharaoh now more magical than Barbaro or is Barbaro still the most magnificent cancer curing superhorse?

Despite being dead for over 2 decades, one would assume Secretariat is still the reigning king of magic Christ like megahorses. I heard he was 12 feet tall and ate Buicks for lunch.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

chunkles posted:

The world's most powerful and successful athlete, dripping with sweat, jogged back to his stable. His adulating fans patted him on his haunches, his jockey and employer hugged him and inhaled deeply from his mane. Upon his bed of hay lounged three mares of the highest breeding. Unfazed, he whinnied, "Fools, I just won the Triple Crown! Bring me my oat bag!" As his hooves pounded upon the dirt in the glare of the sun that afternoon in Elmort, it was not dreams of money or sex that motivated him. Neigh, the world's greatest athlete has always found refuge in the simple pleasure of the oat bag. And so they brought him his Versace oat bag lined with gold trim, and he thought, "oh gently caress yeah, bout to get my OAT on," and he did, chewing through nothing but the finest organic cruelty-free oats that money can buy until his hunger was sated.

:lol:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Glamorama26 posted:

Despite being dead for over 2 decades, one would assume Secretariat is still the reigning king of magic Christ like megahorses. I heard he was 12 feet tall and ate Buicks for lunch.

This is canon.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For all of ESPN's problems (and there's an assload of them), it's good to see OTL still holding up well and basically calling out ESPNW and ABC on buying into Hope Solo's redemption bullshit

E: If memory serves, they also kinda called out Stephen A. Smith and others for trying to soften Floyd Mayweather's image as well. They seem to have taken over as ESPN's ombudsman.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DJExile posted:

For all of ESPN's problems (and there's an assload of them), it's good to see OTL still holding up well and basically calling out ESPNW and ABC on buying into Hope Solo's redemption bullshit

E: If memory serves, they also kinda called out Stephen A. Smith and others for trying to soften Floyd Mayweather's image as well. They seem to have taken over as ESPN's ombudsman.
The piece is by Mark Fainaru-Wada, so you know it's actual non-starfucking real bullshit-exposing journalism. He wrote the book on the NFLs concussion coverup and co-wrote the book on steroids in baseball.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Horse fast. Horse faster than all the other fast horses. Dumb horse think it's fast but then, WHAM, faster horse. Do you like horse? Horse pretty, horse fast. Muscle horse. Hemingway laptop. Hemingway like horse. Hemingway watched bull run into horse, but Hemingway was against the bull. He was for horse. Horse.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

Horse fast. Horse faster than all the other fast horses. Dumb horse think it's fast but then, WHAM, faster horse. Do you like horse? Horse pretty, horse fast. Muscle horse. Hemingway laptop. Hemingway like horse. Hemingway watched bull run into horse, but Hemingway was against the bull. He was for horse. Horse.

I was once in a cab wherein the cabbie said pretty much exactly this, except instead of horse he said RG3

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The profile they did on Hope Solo even glossed over what a titanic piece of poo poo Jerramy Stevens is

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

The profile they did on Hope Solo even glossed over what a titanic piece of poo poo Jerramy Stevens is

Well there's only so much time in a 30 minute show.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

Well there's only so much time in a 30 minute show.

There was a written one too where they spent like a paragraph on it and said "oh there was this sexual assault thing but no charges got filed so w/e"

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

ElwoodCuse posted:

There was a written one too where they spent like a paragraph on it and said "oh there was this sexual assault thing but no charges got filed so w/e"

They're both psychopaths. At least one of them needs to get locked up before the whole thing ends in a Karla Homolka situation.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The logical endgame for Hope Solo and Jerramy Stevens is that they end up reenacting Natural Born Killers.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Are e-Sports actually becoming a legitimate thing? Why are these on the front page of ESPN with the NBA/NHL finals are going on?
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/13035450/league-legends-prodigy-faker-carries-country-shoulders
http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/13050612/the-legendary-adventures-fearless-girl-gamer

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

In monetary terms they're pretty legitimate given that an upcoming annual international Dota 2 tournament just beat it's own previous record prize pool of almost ~$11M and may surpass $15M or more (it's mostly crowdfunded from in-game purchases and there's still almost two months to the tournament), which puts it well ahead of all the major golf chamiponships (~$9-10M each).

Whether or not they constitute a sport is a different story, but ESPN has televised poker forever and even random poo poo like cup stacking so...

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 10, 2015

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It does make sense. If it can get even a little traction it's cheap filler for their networks. Kind of like how they've used poker over the years.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

It's a real shame that it's taking precious website space away from all those Steph Curry think pieces

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I get where you're coming from but

GobiasIndustries posted:

Why are these on the front page of ESPN with the... NHL finals are going on?

ESPN cares more about a lot of poo poo than they do the NHL. I'm pretty sure college quiddich will eventually get more coverage.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
The headline is a hockey piece now, but get used to it because money.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Hulk Hogan could bankrupt Gawker

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 12, 2015

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

DJExile posted:

espnW and ABC must pissed now that this is gaining traction, given how it seems like sports media can't cover a US team without an underdog or redemption angle, which is specially hard to do in women's soccer.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 12, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
https://twitter.com/RichSandomir/status/609454384389472256

See ya Whitlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

rough day for people pretending to be black