Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Parker Lewis posted:

I am using a Topping D30 + JDS Atom combo and have been really happy with it.

I do wish JDS would come out with a newer DAC (with USB/optical in) to be competitive with the tone board / D30 / etc. and a nicer cosmetic match for the Atom.

Nice. Topping is def my top choice for the time being. Though I'm pretty content with my mobo's DAC. Need the amp for now since the onboard amp doesn't give my new fostex enough juice and also because the atom lets me switch between RCA and 3.5 which is awesome for my PC and PS3 set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

eddiewalker posted:

It’s fine, but also an easy fix. If your cable is made with the same Switchcraft TA4FX as my stock cable is, you can just buy a new one and swap the whole outer shell. It’s just a screw-on thing.

I made very little effort to find a good deal, but here’s one for $7.

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/107105-switchcraft-ta4fx-4-pin-mini-xlrf-ta-series-cable-mount-connector

If yours isn’t a Switchcraft, it still shouldn’t be hard to source. There aren’t many companies making mini-XLR connectors.

I ended up buying tabs like those and fixing it pretty easily, thanks for leading me in the right direction.

After a few weeks of listening to the AKG K702s I gotta say the soundstage definitely is noticeably massive, they're not nearly as intimate or lush sounding as the LCD-Xs, but with certain things sound incredible.

The Blade Runner soundtrack for example has a lot of audio samples straight from the films, lines of dialog, rain, the shuffling of characters around the environment, the clicks of the Voight-Kampff machine, etc. and on the LCD-Xs these details are extremely detailed and clear, but everything is somewhat cloistered in my headspace.
By no means narrow, but as I said, very intimate, if I were to actually watch the film with the visual aspect retained, I would certainly prefer this over the more distant and wide AKG K702s.

But if I listen to the OST on the K702s with my eyes closed in a dark room, wow, it's like being lost in a three dimensional space of sound, I can construct a mental image of my surroundings, and in a sense, feel transported into film using memories evoked by the soundtrack and the samples snippets. It was kind of a mindblowing experience.

Things get closer, then farther, in a way that's more tangible than the LCD-Xs, and I really, really do get that sense sometimes that these sounds are emanating from a distance, rather than right next to my head.

This does seem to come with the caveat that things don't center very well, sound coming from my peripheral rather than head on come off as separated and isolated, there's a bit of "space" between them. Sometimes this has the effect of making songs sound less whole, and fragmented, likely that's a trade off for the impressive detailing in the AKG K702s, I wonder if the vaunted HD800S has a similar quality.

They are, as people often state, fantastic for jazz and classical, but I don't necessarily feel they are outright better than the LCD-Xs in that regard. While, as a trained musician, I value looking at orchestral pieces clinically and thus highly value the imaging and detail of the K702s, sometimes I just don't give a poo poo about that and just want to be overtaken by the music.

The AKG K702s make me feel as though I'm in a center, middle-forward seat at a concert venue, this gives everything a fantastic sense of place and replicates the live concert going experience as well as any headphones I've heard can, but the LCD-Xs seem to make the experience less realistic and more fantastical, as though you're experiencing the story and motion of the music first hand, rather than experiencing an orchestra playing in front of you. Less about the playing, more about the music.

Either case is special in it's own way, but the LCD-Xs are just more "fun."

And yes, the bass on the AKGs are lacking, though I'm going to switch out the pads for leather ones since the seal sucks and I can't imagine that helps. That being said, the bass is still present and sufficient, I don't feel it's nearly totally absent as some people have hyperbolized.

It's been really cool getting first hand experience at comparing very, very contrasting headphones outside of a hifi shop. I'm glad I bought these, even though my usage of them will likely be hyper specific towards certain genres.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 4, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

We'll, there's the EL DAC, but it'll set you back $250.

The OL DAC can be had with usb/optical inputs for quite a bit less as well.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

5-HT posted:

topping d30 is a good dac, but the khadas tone board is objectively better (lower noise floor), and cheaper. only requires some simple DIY assembly

https://www.khadas.com/product-page/tone-board

This is a pretty cool thing. Bookmarking this in case I need a future project.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fknlo posted:

The OL DAC can be had with usb/optical inputs for quite a bit less as well.

Doesn't really match the design of the Atom, though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

It doesn't but it's not all that bad. It's the combo I'm running right now.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm seeing USB only on the vendor site. Atom amp is back ordered until around mid March and I'm getting antsy. Wanna know how these fostex sound with juice.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ChazTurbo posted:

I'm seeing USB only on the vendor site. Atom amp is back ordered until around mid March and I'm getting antsy. Wanna know how these fostex sound with juice.

It's in a drop down menu.

Not the best match but could be much, much worse.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

fknlo posted:

It's in a drop down menu.

Not the best match but could be much, much worse.

Well I feel silly. How's the ol dac compare to the topping d30?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I'm curious how the D30 stacks up to the DX3
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/topping-dx3-pro

and while we're on the subject of Massdrop, has anyone tried the KZ AS 10? They're only $45. I'm wondering how they stack up against Massdrop's NuForce EDC3 as I haven't tried either and I'm curious about both.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ChazTurbo posted:

I'ma have an atom up on SA Mart in a day or two if you're not trying to wait.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

ItBreathes posted:

I'ma have an atom up on SA Mart in a day or two if you're not trying to wait.

I've spent more than I'd like in one go for the fostex and atom for now so I'm gonna hold off for a little. Plus a friend may give me their old audio engine d1 when they eventually upgrade. I appreciate the offer though

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I just realized I've gone 2 years with my AKG 7XXs, happy birthday to them! Longest I've kept a pair of headphones :toot:

It looks like the cups on my Sennheiser HD 569s are starting to flake apart - anyone have a good source on replacement cups?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

NewFatMike posted:

I just realized I've gone 2 years with my AKG 7XXs, happy birthday to them! Longest I've kept a pair of headphones :toot:

It looks like the cups on my Sennheiser HD 569s are starting to flake apart - anyone have a good source on replacement cups?

This is all I could find https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/earpads-1-pair-hd569-598cs at least for first party cups.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'll take it! Those Senns are almost 2 years old now, too, and they've been used pretty hard. They deserve an upgrade.

Thanks!

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

NewFatMike posted:

I'll take it! Those Senns are almost 2 years old now, too, and they've been used pretty hard. They deserve an upgrade.

Thanks!

No problem. I'm kinda bummed that senn axed the 500 line since the 579 was what I was considering before I found out about the 58X. Still kinda want it since I like the grey color and I hear it has a better sound stage but not for the 180 a lot of places are asking for.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, they seemed to have a few really neat launches at the end of the 5** series lifetime, too. If it's any consolation, my HD 58X are my primary office pair, HD 569 for travel, and the AKG 7XX for home and they are all awesome.

Also, I had forgotten about Brainwavz. From a few review checks it doesn't look like those work for the 569s or 598C cans :negative:

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

For Brainwavz earpads, I use these adapters with my HD598Cs (it looks like the 569 and 598Cs are the same model?). You install the earpad over the adapter and then it snaps into the earcup.

Bumpy Johnson fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 5, 2019

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Bumpy Johnson posted:

For Brainwavz earpads, I use these adapters with my HD598Cs (it looks like the 569 and 598Cs are the same model?). You install the earpad over the adapter and then it snaps into the earcup.

Oh hell yeah, I'll just make these. They're probably the same dimensions as the existing plastic ring on the earpads. Thanks!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm curious how the D30 stacks up to the DX3
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/topping-dx3-pro

DX3 Pro is real good, and a decent replacement for the earlier D-series DAC/Amps

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-dx3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967/

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

and while we're on the subject of Massdrop, has anyone tried the KZ AS 10? They're only $45. I'm wondering how they stack up against Massdrop's NuForce EDC3 as I haven't tried either and I'm curious about both.

While I like some KZ IEMs, there's a lot of really good options in the ~$50 price range, like the Echobox Finder X1, Tin Audio T2, Mee Audio M6 Pro 2nd Gen or Final E2000. The AS10 certainly isn't bad, but it lacks some polish.

theOctagon
Apr 22, 2005

I bet you are wondering what I call my penis... it's the
Budget - ~$250 (flexible)
Source - Computer
Isolation Requirements - None. Will only be used in my office with no other noise.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over the ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - ??
Past Headphones - Some "Gamer" nonsense / Apple's free headphones when you buy a phone.

I have recently started using headphones for music and gaming when I am at my computer. I was getting some buzzing on my wired headphones, I assume from the motherboard, or the voltage converters powering my monitors, so I got a DAC with a built in amp (Fosi DAC-Q5) it is running off of USB. That took care of the buzz but now I am looking for some quality headphones. Mostly these will be used for gaming, with some music or movies.

Any recommendations?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well you can spend a hell of a lot more but since you seem pretty flexible:
https://www.amazon.com/Koss-Porta-Headphones-Black-Silver/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=koss+portapro&qid=1552011233&s=gateway&sr=8-1

theOctagon
Apr 22, 2005

This is probably vain but those are way too ugly. I would much prefer some large over the ear style.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That's cool, they are butt ugly. The reason being , that upper pad can lift the ear pad off your, for a very light ear feel.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

theOctagon posted:

Source - Computer
Isolation Requirements - None. Will only be used in my office with no other noise.
Past Headphones - Some "Gamer" nonsense / Apple's free headphones when you buy a phone.

I have recently started using headphones for music and gaming when I am at my computer. I was getting some buzzing on my wired headphones, I assume from the motherboard, or the voltage converters powering my monitors, so I got a DAC with a built in amp (Fosi DAC-Q5) it is running off of USB. That took care of the buzz but now I am looking for some quality headphones. Mostly these will be used for gaming, with some music or movies.

Any recommendations?

DT770s if you want closed headphones that block out some noise, HD58X or HD6XX if your environment works with open headphones.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

theOctagon posted:

Source - Computer

Any recommendations?

flex high. an extra $100 can get you a pair of brand new Hifiman Sundara's, or even better yet, for $289 in 'like new' condition. still the most resolving sub $1000 set of cans, save for the Hifiman Ananda or an original Sennheiser HD800 used. take the plunge with these and you won't regret it.

why sundara?

- fast driver
- large soundstage
- excellent frequency response, arguably on par with if not better than Focal Elex/Clear. doesn't have that "nasally" or "shouty" mids problem that Elex/Clear does.
- bass roll-off is not as steep as HD 58X/6XX

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/hifiman-sundara-vs-sennheiser-hd-650/589/245?usage=5003&threshold=0.1

theOctagon
Apr 22, 2005

Thanks all, I ended up going for the standard 6xx, little cheaper and probably more than I need.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Budget - ~$200 (less is better, but I'm willing to pay as high as lets say..220 for amazing)
Source - PC
Isolation Requirements - None. To use at home in a quiet room.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over the ear headset w/ mic for skype while I play
Preferred Tonal Balance - No idea
Past Headphones - $20 headset from Comp USA I bought like 10 years ago. They've been great but I want to treat myself without breaking the bank.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Whoa, Massdrop has these electrostatics along with the prerequisite amp for it for 499?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-koss-esp-95x-electrostatic-system?utm_source=linkshare&referer=undefined

Extremely curious. I haven't heard any electrostatic and this is insanely inexpensive compared to basically any other option in that regard.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Whoa, Massdrop has these electrostatics along with the prerequisite amp for it for 499?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-koss-esp-95x-electrostatic-system?utm_source=linkshare&referer=undefined

Extremely curious. I haven't heard any electrostatic and this is insanely inexpensive compared to basically any other option in that regard.

Even if you didn't like them, at that price you could sell the Koss on Craigslist for little to no loss.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

iddqd posted:

Budget - ~$200 (less is better, but I'm willing to pay as high as lets say..220 for amazing)
Source - PC
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over the ear headset w/ mic for skype while I play
Past Headphones - $20 headset from Comp USA I bought like 10 years ago. They've been great but I want to treat myself without breaking the bank.

Sennheiser Game One or Steelseries Arctis 7

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

iddqd posted:

Source - PC

58X with a cheap desktop mic or clip on

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
My current PC gaming headset is dying - Hoping to find a good new pair of headphones for a reasonable price that will give me the directional audio I need in games like Apex Legends. Any suggestions? I prefer headset with mic, but if it's a headset without a mic, I would love to know of recommended mics too.

Also - don't get logitech g933s - they're the ones I have been using and they've been a continual state of dying in wireless mode for years. I now use them only in analog mode because of the issues it has. The issues I'm having are universal, apparently - lots of other people are reporting the exact same problems I am having, and saying that logitech support has been totally unresponsive to them.

I'd love to get another wireless headset in the future though, but I think I am almost completely done with wireless PC headphones due to the horrible issues g933s have given me. However, if there are wireless headphones that have a general reputation as being connection-problem-free, that would be great. As one of the things I like about my g933s is being able to keep listening to people in discord or podcasts while walking around the house.

Oh and also - the issues I have only seem to happen on my PC. When I use my g933s on my ps4 with the wireless dongle plugged into the console, I've never had connectivity issues. It could just be something fucky with my USB ports on my PC or the PC drivers? I dunno.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 10, 2019

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

5-HT posted:

Sennheiser Game One or Steelseries Arctis 7

ChazTurbo posted:

58X with a cheap desktop mic or clip on

Thanks for the recommends! I have the Arctis 7 being delivered today. I'll give that one a try to start.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Some other folks recommended those to me in the Apex Legends thread so I'll put them on my list of potential-buys.

Also I'm considering a decent reasonably priced-streamer/podcaster mic, as it will make streaming a bit more fun to have my voice all pleasantly bass-sounding. There's some relatively inexpensive options for that that are extremely good quality too.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The HyperX Cloud Alpha are seriously great for $75 from Costco. You can't beat them at that price. The sound detail for games feels very open and detailed and the mic is decent and removable for when you don't need it.

The next upgrade from that are the Sennheiser Game One with stronger audio quality for games, but they're more like $120 and don't have any noise isolation whatsoever since they're open back, though that may not matter you.

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion
Budget - $100-200
Source - iPhone, Bluetooth
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Past Headphones - LG Electronics Tone Pro HBS-750 Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Headset Y
Retail Packaging - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FO0IHMY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fEFHCbTCBENHJ

I mostly listen to podcasts so they don’t have to have amazing sound. The LG ones worked great for four years, but I’ve lost sound on one side now.

I wear them mostly at work and I move around and am active so I need them to be able to stay in with movement.

I’ve considered getting the apple AirPods but I’m hesitant.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

5-HT posted:

flex high. an extra $100 can get you a pair of brand new Hifiman Sundara's, or even better yet, for $289 in 'like new' condition. still the most resolving sub $1000 set of cans, save for the Hifiman Ananda or an original Sennheiser HD800 used. take the plunge with these and you won't regret it.

why sundara?

- fast driver
- large soundstage
- excellent frequency response, arguably on par with if not better than Focal Elex/Clear. doesn't have that "nasally" or "shouty" mids problem that Elex/Clear does.
- bass roll-off is not as steep as HD 58X/6XX

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/hifiman-sundara-vs-sennheiser-hd-650/589/245?usage=5003&threshold=0.1
Looks like they're only $500 like new, and at that price I'd rather just grab the $169 HE4xx from Massdrop and get like 90% of the way there.

theOctagon posted:

Thanks all, I ended up going for the standard 6xx, little cheaper and probably more than I need.
This was the correct choice.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yeah I posted them the last go-round.
I haven't had $500 to throw at them on a whim, but that is a ridiculous price of entry to get into electrostats.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I just got a few pairs of Hearos for a concert I'm going to and they are the first thing that has ever been able to securely stay in my ear. If you've never seen/used them, the tip is a lot smaller than any earbud tips I've seen and go significantly deeper into my ear. Does anyone make IEM tips that are similarly shaped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

internet celebrity posted:

I just got a few pairs of Hearos for a concert I'm going to and they are the first thing that has ever been able to securely stay in my ear. If you've never seen/used them, the tip is a lot smaller than any earbud tips I've seen and go significantly deeper into my ear. Does anyone make IEM tips that are similarly shaped?

Etymotic does.