Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

My preference would be for a quickness bless on the white centaurs, i.e. a blue dragon (high level water is good), or possibly a green dragon for regen + HP if you don't mind swapping out any hope of magic diversity. They already hit better than average, so quickness (to further boost their ace defence) or nature (to give extra HP and regen to make that berserk really work) would be good.

I'd go order and growth for pangaea, you can put points into sloth and probably temperature no probs. You don't have particularly efficient research mages so bear that in mind if you go drain.

Where do you get the points for Growth and Order, though? An awake dragon with a 9 whatever magic (I assume you mean 9 in whatever path) and 9 dominion costs 470 points. 3 Sloth puts the counter back to 0. Heat 2 or Cold 2 look painful, and drain apparently isn't a god idea either. Misfortune 2 and Order 2 to have less events in general, maybe?

First research target will probably be Alteration 2 with this pretender, so the dragon can cast quickness on itself.

Absum posted:

Turmoil is fine for checking out maenads, but I do hope you know what you're getting yourself into if so.
I definitely do not. :v:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Well, growth or order, depending how you want to frontload your income.

That said,

:q:

Melum
Oct 14, 2012

Jester Mcgee posted:

I just started my first war ever. I have no idea if I will win or not because I have never fought against a person, but even if I don't win I am reasonably sure that, because it is so early in the game, I can ensure that we both lose. :thumbsup:

So how's that working out for you?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
MA Tien Chi is a very fun nation once I figured them out.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

amuayse posted:

MA Tien Chi is a very fun nation once I figured them out.

I would like to figure them out too. Please share.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

That said,

no misfortune 3/drain 3 you're obviously not loving serious about this get outta my house

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Melum posted:

So how's that working out for you?

I think it's going well. If you discount me losing my god like an idiot because I don't really understand how the movement works!

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

fool_of_sound posted:

Pikemen for expansion, medium infantry, archers + flaming arrows, and gifts from heaven communions are your goto options for combat. You benefit hugely from scales but a titan or dragon will keep you alive in the early game. Don't bother with a bless.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Eschatos posted:

Pikemen for expansion, medium infantry, archers + flaming arrows, and gifts from heaven communions are your goto options for combat. You benefit hugely from scales but a titan or dragon will keep you alive in the early game. Don't bother with a bless.

What's the advantage of pikemen over any form of shielded infantry? It seems like the main point of pikes is supposed to be a defensive feature via repelling, but shields appear to provide much better general survivability, and as a further advantage can help you survive against arrows as well as melee.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

fool_of_sound posted:

The main key are Geomancer Communions and Crystal Matrixes. With these you can cast literally any non-blood, non-death (if you don't have it on your pretender) spell provided you have the research.

First things first though: You gotta have some way to decently expand. MA Tien Chi doesn't get good dragons for expansion, so you either got to have good production to crank out enough troops so you either got to take production for your pikemen+composite bows or a W9 bless for your Red Guards so you can expand fast enough so you won't get killed by an elf or giant rush.
For early research, I start recruiting some Ministers of Magic to get into early alteration (earth meld and false fetters) and evocation for their mainstay spell: Gifts from Heaven. Think of them sorta like the dumb-fired Soul Slays that aren't MR resist. Luckily you can cast wind guide. Then you can start flipping over to recruiting exclusively Imperial Alchemists and Celestial Masters.
Imperial Alchemists are great for site searching since they have a whopping 5 paths and for communions through crystal matrixes. My favorite thing to do is to do the classic Mass Flight+Earthquake, but I can also throw in some Howls and Foul Vapors into the mix.
The main weakness of the nation in the late game is that they're highly dependent upon their pretender to cast higher path rituals, so you have to design him accordingly.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 9, 2015

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

So I just found the best map ever.

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/yggdrasil

Basically a thematic map for Norse mythology.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Neif posted:

So I just found the best map ever.

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/yggdrasil

Basically a thematic map for Norse mythology.

While an amazing map, I don't think that it is actually playable\finished yet is it?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Tomn posted:

What's the advantage of pikemen over any form of shielded infantry? It seems like the main point of pikes is supposed to be a defensive feature via repelling, but shields appear to provide much better general survivability, and as a further advantage can help you survive against arrows as well as melee.

They end up getting hit less versus indies because indies have low morale and fail the repel checks.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Three more things I learnt about EA Pangaea:

1) Call of the Wild is expensive, but I can see it annoying whomever I'm fighting. I think that's the point of the game?
2) Revelers are surprisingly good for the cost when buffed with barkskin. How viable are they as 10 or 20-man unrest generators or against a normal amount of PD? As in, swarm the enemy, declare war, surprise, there are satyrs everywhere.
3) I'm going to put a paperweight on CTRL while taking my turn.

That said,

I'm reading the event list. That looks... painful.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Why does sending your pretender to the arena automatically make you lose, even if you win the competition?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

PhantomZero posted:

Why does sending your pretender to the arena automatically make you lose, even if you win the competition?

Never heard of that happening. What'd you send?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Oh it looks like I just forgot about my dominion and ran out of any friendly dominion at the same time, whoops!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm a bit confused, the description for Solar Brilliance says it "destroys the retinas" of everyone not undead. I used it in battle, but I think only one enemy unit went blind. Did I do something wrong, or is the description false?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

It's an MR(E?)N check every round. The longer the caster is there, the more dudes will go blind and the more damage the undead will take.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

It's an MR(E?)N check every round. The longer the caster is there, the more dudes will go blind and the more damage the undead will take.

Man, this is some poo poo. The wording made it sound like everyone gets his eyes burned out immediately.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Signed up on the GGS as Tiger Millionaire, so verification would be great. No idea if it went through though, as i got booted back to the homepage after i clicked create user.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/harvs if you need proof that I own the game

i used to play dom3 about 4 years ago and was awful back then, I have a lot of fun but my big problem is that I never really have any goals in mind, I just make a cool looking god and research cool looking things until someone eventually notices me and invades. So uh, here's to me actually learning how to play the game or at least learning how to make a half decent pretender

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

It's a good plan to be in IRC if you're in a game. Basically all of the swearingdiplomancy happens in there.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Libluini posted:

Man, this is some poo poo. The wording made it sound like everyone gets his eyes burned out immediately.

Tell me about it. The wording also makes it sound like it hellfucks undead. Guess what it's really poo poo at?

(hint: the answer rhymes with milling mundead)

TheSpookyDanger posted:

It's a good plan to be in IRC if you're in a game. Basically all of the swearing diplomancy swearing happens in there.

fyp

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Also sick double post combo to let everyone know that my Dank Nationdraft LP is going strong now that the holidays are over and I don't have exams and actually enjoy life again. Newbies especially, come check it out and see how even people who have been playing for longer than you are still terrible at this game! (its me im terrible :kimchi:)

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

Tell me about it. The wording also makes it sound like it hellfucks undead. Guess what it's really poo poo at?

(hint: the answer rhymes with milling mundead)

fyp

It's really good for killing skellies x10000 which is the reason for using it.

It's ALSO really good for killing 300+ hoburg Xbows with 250 cowardly blessed Tengus supporting them. I have proven this with powerful Nuclearmonkee-based science.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kurgi is a dick.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Kurgi is a dick.

Nothing beats Kurgi teleporting out after killing all the Tengu and blinding every last hobbit, leaving hundreds of eyeless hobbits to finish executing a move order into enemy-infested territory with no infantry or mage support. I think they maybe managed to accidentally kill like 2 PD before they were butchered to the man by my waiting army.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I want a hoburg nation in every era

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Mister Adequate posted:

Replace all sprites with various sizes and flavors of Hoburgs.

Longdead Rephaite? No, how about a dozen halflings on each others shoulders making spooky noises.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
please back the gently caress up off my vaettiheim ideas

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Are hoburg and vaetti rivals? I mean they're both short so

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
hoburg based abysia with fire midgets interbreeding with other tiny peoples

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
With a national innate growth boost because they breed like rabbits who are on fire.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

jsoh posted:

please back the gently caress up off my vaettiheim ideas

If it has sacred fearmoose I support this 100%

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Libluini posted:

All units on the battlefield have a 50% chance of becoming blinded. This effect can be
avoided by passing Magic Resistance check +4. All undead and demons have a 50%
chance of suffering a 5 AP attack, which can also be avoided by passing an MR +4 check.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I hate how "100% of battlefield" or "everyone" or "global effect" actually means 50% of the units, in the offensive spells. :/ And of course you still have the MR check or whatever.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I hate how "100% of battlefield" or "everyone" or "global effect" actually means 50% of the units, in the offensive spells. :/ And of course you still have the MR check or whatever.

It's still incredible over time. It will stop any number of skelespammers dead and also blind their guard chaff. I've coupled it with elementals a bunch of times (all of which don't give a gently caress about blindness or rigor mortis) and it's very effective.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Mister Adequate posted:

Hoburgs from Conquest of Elysium were hilarious. Hoburg Crossbows costed only a 1/3rd of a human crossbows, and they get a gold bonus from farms. Their Horticultrists used the weed they grew to summon tons of animal chaff or ridiculously robust ents. Horologists could use gems to make elemental clockwork horrors/men/insects/dragons. The downwsides of their nation was they didn't have any real spellcasting and they were really vulnerable to aoe and battlefield wide spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

amuayse posted:

Hoburgs from Conquest of Elysium were hilarious. Hoburg Crossbows costed only a 1/3rd of a human crossbows, and they get a gold bonus from farms. Their Horticultrists used the weed they grew to summon tons of animal chaff or ridiculously robust ents. Horologists could use gems to make elemental clockwork horrors/men/insects/dragons. The downwsides of their nation was they didn't have any real spellcasting and they were really vulnerable to aoe and battlefield wide spells.

You just reminded me I need to dust this off and play the poo poo out of it.

• Locked thread