Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Unrelated, there doesn't seem to be a "install peg leg" operation anymore, do I need to use prosthetics?

I had this same question a while back and it turned out I didn't have enough spare wood. Kind of silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pilas are really really dangerous. They will sever limbs like nobody's business. Best to micromanage your colonists when pila throwers are around so they can dodge the physical projectile.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Danaru posted:

I had Randy give me toxic fallout and nearly 20 manhunter boomrats at almost the same time. The map doesn't have grass or trees anymore :shepface:

Randy gave me a day 10 raid against 3 raiders, one with a Good sniper rifle, another with an assault rifle, and a third with grenades. The sniper immediately heartshot my best fighter, turned around and noscoped my best melee pawn, then everything went downhill from there as nobody left had a combat skill above 2. Entire colony wiped out by three raiders. :gonk:

Is it just me or are mercenary snipers the single deadliest thing raiders can throw at you? I make it a point to never give them a chance to fire their guns anymore.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Pilas are really really dangerous. They will sever limbs like nobody's business. Best to micromanage your colonists when pila throwers are around so they can dodge the physical projectile.

I knew it was bad, but then the guy closed to melee and I thought "oh good, they can't throw their pila" and then proceeded to chop off someone's leg in melee.

I didn't even realize they could be used for both melee and ranged!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Is it just me or are mercenary snipers the single deadliest thing raiders can throw at you? I make it a point to never give them a chance to fire their guns anymore.

The only thing I consistently lose colonists to is those damned rockets.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The only thing I consistently lose colonists to is those damned rockets.

One of those fuckers just gutshot my colonist and instantly killed him at point-blank range. Sniper rifles are insane.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Even if you're full melee, you can build some walls with choke points that negate all the ranged badness. You don't even build doors to close it off completely, just a nice choke point that the enemies path around:

If you have brawlers and you roof it over so it's dark you have a pretty hefty advantage.
e: for maximum gankage, make the entire inner wall out of doors so you can attack groups all at once with your 20 brawlers

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Even if you're full melee, you can build some walls with choke points that negate all the ranged badness. You don't even build doors to close it off completely, just a nice choke point that the enemies path around:

If you have brawlers and you roof it over so it's dark you have a pretty hefty advantage.
e: for maximum gankage, make the entire inner wall out of doors so you can attack groups all at once with your 20 brawlers

This works extremely well with mixed ranged/melee since your ranged guys can chew up melee raiders while they approach then fall back and let the melee troops clean up then wait for the ranged raiders to approach and give them hell.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The darkness defensive boost was removed in A16 unfortunately.

I've been really liking this setup: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/112986234414027085/68D0E097B59357AE2B05CD91EEBD67C679FB686D/

Raiders feed in through the single tile and then are in range of all my defenders, with no defensive cover.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I've been really liking this setup: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/112986234414027085/68D0E097B59357AE2B05CD91EEBD67C679FB686D/

Raiders feed in through the single tile and then are in range of all my defenders, with no defensive cover.

I've been using this setup at the center of my base:

Total firepower isn't that great but it completely prevents friendly fire which is how I mainly lose colonists, if they get into melee range I just retreat into the bunker and let them die from exploding turrets.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I've finished updating all of my mods for A16:

Better Pathfinding

Zhentar's Vanilla Fixes & Zhentar's Vanilla Tweaks (though "fixes" only has one fix now)

Auto Flick Designation Sun Lamps

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Class Warcraft posted:

I've been using this setup at the center of my base:

Total firepower isn't that great but it completely prevents friendly fire which is how I mainly lose colonists, if they get into melee range I just retreat into the bunker and let them die from exploding turrets.

I really like that. Mind if I steal for my guide?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

What was the change note for this exactly?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Flesh Forge posted:

What was the change note for this exactly?

Dunno, but it's gone in game if you mouse over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I guess it makes ranged combat more useful at night but I would have preferred more options for long range lighting personally.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I really like that. Mind if I steal for my guide?

Of course. I'll upload a pic later with the colony at action stations so it's clearer to see how it works

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I guess it makes ranged combat more useful at night but I would have preferred more options for long range lighting personally.

My guess is he felt it made defensive positions too strong.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Manned cross bunker:

If the enemy is only coming from one or two sides I usually put snipers on the corners as well, like in this screenshot.

Also, I finally learned that infestations are no joke, but neither are trained attack cougars.

She managed to take out four bugs before dying of her wounds. :black101:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
A pack of tamed Yorkshire terriers showed up at my base, so I gave everyone a pet puppy. It's been a black comedy ever since as they steady die off like clock work. They've been bitten by snakes, eaten by panthers (first day), eviscerated by giant bugs, reduced to ash by mechanical monsters, machine gunned, clubbed, blow up, irradiated, and my personal favorite struck by lightning while napping outside. Rimworld is cruel to the small and furry.

Now my artists crank out poo poo like this:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

One of the things I like the most about this update is that it's not hard to find coastal hills/mountains any more, I like that.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I just had a brutally quick rear end loving. My only builder (of 3) was picking up a cargo drop near the map edge and I got a raid which popped in 2 metres from her. One guy bludgeoned her with a club right away, then they decided to just kidnap her and left the map edge. Whole thing took less than 30 seconds. The builder's pet fennec fox then went berserk over her "death" and savaged the hands off my only doctor!! Ouch!!

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I've only played 50 hrs so far, but that's what so great and fun about this game, the ridiculousness of it. How so much crap can pile on top on your game in a hurry. I just had 8 days of toxic fallout, 2 raids, mad rhinos attacking, solar flare and most of my meat in freezer spoiling all at the same time. My husky died of a heart attack and one my cooks makes meat out of her almost immediately.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rapacity posted:

I just had a brutally quick rear end loving. My only builder (of 3) was picking up a cargo drop near the map edge and I got a raid which popped in 2 metres from her. One guy bludgeoned her with a club right away, then they decided to just kidnap her and left the map edge. Whole thing took less than 30 seconds. The builder's pet fennec fox then went berserk over her "death" and savaged the hands off my only doctor!! Ouch!!

The new caravan system should allow you to mount a rescue mission for the builder.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

I have a rather technical question for the experts: A recent arrival in my colony had the 'lazy' trait, which I replaced with 'Green thumb' via the magic of save file editing. However, even after several days went by, my other, industrious colonist still has a -5 dislike modifier with the new girl, because of 'hard worker vs lazy'.

Where else in the save file is this info stored?? Just removing it from the 'traits' section obviously didn't do the job completely.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can fix that at the butcher table

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hard worker vs lazy applies from any hard worker towards anyone who isn't a hard worker / industrious. Don't need lazy trait.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Hard worker vs lazy applies from any hard worker towards anyone who isn't a hard worker / industrious. Don't need lazy trait.

Aaah, that explains it! Thank you! I only have two colonists in total, so I didn't notice that.

I'm assuming the malus would be even worse versus actual lazy people?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Gimmick Account posted:

Aaah, that explains it! Thank you!

I'm assuming the malus would be even worse versus actual lazy people?

I want to say it's -10 for actually lazy folks, but I'm not 100% certain. Lazy people generally find themself on the wrong end of a human sacrifice nowadays

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

You can fix that at the butcher table

Beautiful?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It's a -20 for lazy and -30 for slothful

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

That's brutal. I didn't know the hard-working traits came with such strong social drawbacks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gimmick Account posted:

That's brutal. I didn't know the hard-working traits came with such strong social drawbacks.

It's only five points and that's on the hundred point scale. Besides if everyone is hardworking there's no issue. Cull the slack.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Anyone got any pro-tips for getting to and conducting assaults on hostile bases?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's only five points and that's on the hundred point scale. Besides if everyone is hardworking there's no issue. Cull the slack.

This is the correct solution

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

No, I meant the more severe opinion penalty against actually lazy people that Zhentar mentioned. Believe it or not, not everyone incinerates those on sight - I usually try to find a use for every non-psychopath or staggeringly ugly person who joins. I've only edited the save file this time because I'm trying a 'little hut in the frozen tundra' thing with minimal population and no outside farming for the first time, so I need efficiency.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
please let Redistheat be updated soon my family is dying

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I am not even a year in and toxic fallout just occurred. I am thankful I can caravan my people outside the area to save them. Hopefully the fallout doesn't hit a wide area of embark sites.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
I hope they make it so that you don't need to spend metal on sandbags and other obvious not metal things. Also as much of a :can: that human reproduction would add to the game, it would be nice to have it. Because the scenario I use gives me lots of guns and armor but disables the freebie immigrant events and without the hospitality mod and with tyians loving 67% flat chance to outright kill an raider with an otherwise non lethal take down, makes getting new pawns a pain. :argh:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Thefluffy posted:

Also as much of a :can: that human reproduction would add to the game, it would be nice to have it.

Children in a game with live organ harvesting just ain't gonna happen, it'd be less a can of worms and more a can of lawsuits and other legal poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MadJackMcJack posted:

Children in a game with live organ harvesting just ain't gonna happen, it'd be less a can of worms and more a can of lawsuits and other legal poo poo.

This is dumb, you can't sue over that. There's no laws against bad things happening to children in media or Game of Thrones would be in pretty loving hot water. The real reason is that the game's timescale doesn't allow for meaningful reproduction.