Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I put about 80 hours into For Honor when it was on sale for $45, and despite all the balance issues I enjoyed my time with the game for what it was. The heavy feel of the combat is unlike any other, and you won't see its most glaring flaws at the scrub tier level where Guard Breaks actually land some of the time. Like most Ubisoft games it is totally, inoffensively average and has good graphics. I recommend playing on PC if the technical fighter aspects are at all important to you because 30fps in a fighting game is inconceivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah! I downloaded the PC version on UPlay. Between this, R6: Siege, and the Division I am currently playing three UBISoft titles which I didn't think would ever be a thing. Also looking forward to Far Cry 5.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, its biggest selling point is that it's just really unique and you don't really get a comparable experience anywhere else. Not only that it's a fighting game in 3D (and working quite well), but also the kind of slow-ish, weighty and considered pace. It really hits a sweet spot where fights are long enough to be memorable and satisfying, but also fast-paced enough to keep things tense and allow for quick turnarounds. And, just like in R6: Siege, the devs are generally pretty good about updating and guiding the game in a good direction, albeit at a fairly glacial pace.

After about ~100 hours of playtime I feel more or less done with the game, but it did keep me very well-entertained throughout, and I still pop back in for major updates. Hell, I'm actually kind of hoping they'll do a sequel eventually. If they manage to apply the lessons learned here in the foundations, they should be able to get something really good going.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The game definitely had a rough launch, but balance is actually half decent now, connection woes are mostly a thing of the past, and I'm very excited to see how the chip damage changes encourage aggressive play.

It's telling, too, how upbeat the community is after a not so hot few months.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just played a few more rounds what with the player surge of the free weekend. There were a couple of nice additions since I last played, but goddamn the Centurion is still utter garbage to fight against. Still got the heatseeking lunge that leads in to a 50% combo, a slew of unblockables with tiny dodge windows, and what appears to be a ludicrous amount of stamina to spam that poo poo all day erry day. Whoever designed that fucker should never again be allowed to go near anything design-related ever again.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Perestroika posted:

Just played a few more rounds what with the player surge of the free weekend. There were a couple of nice additions since I last played, but goddamn the Centurion is still utter garbage to fight against. Still got the heatseeking lunge that leads in to a 50% combo, a slew of unblockables with tiny dodge windows, and what appears to be a ludicrous amount of stamina to spam that poo poo all day erry day. Whoever designed that fucker should never again be allowed to go near anything design-related ever again.

The prevalence of Centurions is one of the main reasons I stopped playing this game and don't really want to go back to it. Conqueror is still less fun to fight against because they're so boring, but don't trigger the same "gently caress this" reaction as getting hit by the same stamina draining combos over and over because you guessed their mixup wrong. Then once you're out of stamina you're probably never getting back in the green since they have multiple ways to keep draining it from you. Even when I win it still leaves me feeling like I should go play something else instead, and they seem to make up about half the fights I get. You can't even quit out and try again for someone else since you get a ten minute leaver penalty.

Chip damage and other tweaks are interesting, but I don't see them having much impact on a lot of the roster being fundamentally miserable to fight against. Maybe add another game mode that doesn't give you experience or steel, but has a box you can check that guarantees you never get matched against a Warden or Cent ever again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

I said come in! posted:

Yeah! I downloaded the PC version on UPlay. Between this, R6: Siege, and the Division I am currently playing three UBISoft titles which I didn't think would ever be a thing. Also looking forward to Far Cry 5.

I keep uninstalling the division because I'm not anywhere near anyone else's level so nobody wants to do poo poo with me in the group. Has that (and the utter horseshit in everything with DZ) changed?

I really want to like that game but I feel like I missed the last bus out of Dodge on that and I'm dorking around with popguns and paper armor when everyone else is using top tier loot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

I keep uninstalling the division because I'm not anywhere near anyone else's level so nobody wants to do poo poo with me in the group. Has that (and the utter horseshit in everything with DZ) changed?

I really want to like that game but I feel like I missed the last bus out of Dodge on that and I'm dorking around with popguns and paper armor when everyone else is using top tier loot.

I only play Division by myself. I like that the game now scales to your gear and so you're always getting upgrades no matter what you are doing.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Update is live on ps4, downloading now!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

titties posted:

Update is live on ps4, downloading now!

The new characters looks like they might actually be good for the game. Was hesitant until I actually saw some videos of duels and they seem more in line with the original cast in terms of how they play. Highlander in particular looks like he has an interesting kit, and there's none of the gimmicky Shinobi bullshit where they just run away from you the entire fight or Cent combos that drain your whole stamina bar. Gladiator's unblockable foot stab thing looks like it might be a bit annoying but I'll wait until I actually fight against one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I hate Centurion so much. Even beating them doesn't feel satisfying, it's all poke poke poke while they can wombo combo you at any point in the match.

titties
May 10, 2012

I am a scrub idiot bitch and I am terrible at this game so you should all listen to what I think of the new characters.

Highlander:

Defense mode is the default. He plays like any other character in this mode; a few basic attack chains, standard grab, uninterruptible forward dash heavy. Holding heavy attack enters offense mode, release heavy for an unblockable. You can't block or parry in offense mode but you can dodge. You can enter offense mode in the middle of a chain by holding heavy during the animation of the previous attack. What makes this different from a regular charged attack is that you can chain unblockable heavies. Offense mode also offers two unblockable guardbreaks, a kick and a throw.

He is fun to play but I get preoccupied with making sure he actually went into offense mode and forget to dodge attacks.

Gladiator:

Valkyrie has been the single most useless character in the game ever since LB was buffed. She has no way to punish and her one good move is telegraphed. Gladiator plays like Valk probably should have from the start. Stupidly long attack chains that you will never pull off, but she has 2 unblockable mixups that you can use at any time during a chain before the chain finisher. She has a pin that causes bleed damage AND allows a throw, it can be used as a chain mixup or from the deflect. There is also a foot stab mixup that will cause a knockdown if the opponent's stamina is depleted. She also has an unblockable punch off the dash or parry.

She is a lot of fun and pretty easy to use. Doesn't feel as cheap as the Centurion because she can not do a whirlwind of homing unblockables.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm having a lot of fun with gladiator right now but these server issues :negative:

Hopefully neither hero will be as bad as Centurion is right now but it feels like Skewer spam with multiple Gladiators can be pretty dumb.

titties
May 10, 2012

Kainser posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with gladiator right now but these server issues :negative:

Hopefully neither hero will be as bad as Centurion is right now but it feels like Skewer spam with multiple Gladiators can be pretty dumb.

New 4v4 pro team is probably 2x centurion and 2x gladiator, just trading unblockable pins and punches, 100% stunlock against all opponents at all times

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Looking at the patch notes, there are some good minor tweaks in addition to all the major content stuff.

quote:

- The Hero menu now preview Executions, Emotes and Mood Effects in real time in-game animations instead of videos.

- A full pass has been performed on Neutral Colors Palettes in order to include further account for for Attacker or Defender Colors Palettes.

- A “hold” button was added to equip the Reward gear post-match to avoid accidental equipping when skipping end-game animations.

- For Duel and Brawl playlists with matchmaking, a new option is now available in the End of Match Lobby. Players now have the option to choose whether they want to rematch against the same player(s) or return directly to matchmaking (instead of passing through a series of menus)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The new characters looks like they might actually be good for the game. Was hesitant until I actually saw some videos of duels and they seem more in line with the original cast in terms of how they play. Highlander in particular looks like he has an interesting kit, and there's none of the gimmicky Shinobi bullshit where they just run away from you the entire fight or Cent combos that drain your whole stamina bar. Gladiator's unblockable foot stab thing looks like it might be a bit annoying but I'll wait until I actually fight against one.

Yeah, it feels like they've put a bit more thought into counterplay with these two. The Highlander can surprise you with fairly quick unblockables from neutral, but if you pay attention to his animations they're perfectly counterable with quick pokes and of course parries. Haven't played too much against Gladiator yet, but apart from that quick unblockable shield swing thingy he didn't seem to have anything particularly annoying.

titties posted:

Gladiator:

Valkyrie has been the single most useless character in the game ever since LB was buffed.

That is objectively false. :colbert:

But only because Nobushi exists. :negative:

titties
May 10, 2012

Perestroika posted:

But only because Nobushi exists. :negative:

No because she can cancel attack recoveries into bleed damage attacks so she is good.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Nobushi is stupidly good in high level 4v4 so she has that going for her.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Surely Shugo is still the worst character. I don't really disagree with them nerfing Oni Rush > Side Heavy since that was nearly impossible to play against, but not giving him anything to compensate immediately put him in the dumpster. I'll still play him occasionally, but you don't have many options besides trying to make your opponent guess wrong between charging a heavy and canceling one to bait a parry.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Shugoki and Kensai are probably on the lower tier, while Raider, Warden, and Centurion are undoubtedly on the upper tier.

That being said balance is generally pretty good, and I'm enjoying both new heroes. Highlander though. He's very hard to use well.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 15, 2017

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I mean, you still have the heavy cancel into the bearhug. But it's still not enough to really do much against anyone. I doubt they will do a rework pass on him or even a moveset rebalance to make the jolly man up to snuff with the rest of the roster. As a Shugo main I've found that everything is an uphill battle at this point of the game's lifespan. Can't wait to play the nippleman though, always loved their helmets.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

OK I take it back, highlander is not great. He doesn't get a GB off of a parry, his sprinting attack is basically a free parry off of you.

His toolkit is legitimately quite interesting, but I doubt I'll be playing him in the long term much at all.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

titties posted:

No because she can cancel attack recoveries into bleed damage attacks so she is good.

I dunno, I've never been able to really make that one work for me. Even as a cancel, Viper's Retreat is still fairly slow and sees me getting blocked more or less every time. :shrug: If nothing else (and there pretty much is nothing else), Valkyrie at least has a dodge attack that can actually dodge things.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

The Iron Rose posted:

OK I take it back, highlander is not great. He doesn't get a GB off of a parry

Well, that's going to be everyone after the defensive changes are done so it's just a temporary handicap for him if that's the case.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kainser posted:

Well, that's going to be everyone after the defensive changes are done so it's just a temporary handicap for him if that's the case.

Let me amend that. The only thing he can get off of any parry, light or heavy, is a light attack. The only thing he can get off of a grab is a 25 damage zone. Not great at punishing attacks at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I kind of want to get back into zerker once the defensive changes go live because I think he's going to benefit in a huge way from chip damage and not getting parried into oblivion.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I kind of want to get back into zerker once the defensive changes go live because I think he's going to benefit in a huge way from chip damage and not getting parried into oblivion.

Well the chip damage change is already live and very noticeable. The parry changes are not, but honestly the chip does a fair bit in and of itself.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Nobushi might be terrible, but at least they got a good helmet with this update:

There's a partial collection of new armor and weapons here, but it's incomplete. Always takes a few hours/days for people to actually unlock the items and post pictures since I don't think Ubisoft puts them up anywhere. All the new ones are in green, looks like LB got some neat stuff as well.

titties
May 10, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Nobushi might be terrible, but at least they got a good helmet with this update:

Holy poo poo that is good.

What level does that rarity start dropping at? I have PK at 5 and Nobushi at 3, everyone else is at 1 except for the new characters.

E: how do you even parry a light? I have played this game a fair amount and I have never been able to do that.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

titties posted:

What level does that rarity start dropping at? I have PK at 5 and Nobushi at 3, everyone else is at 1 except for the new characters.

The new legendary tier of gear becomes unlockable at rep 7 according to the patch notes, so you'll have to grind a bit to get there.

quote:

E: how do you even parry a light? I have played this game a fair amount and I have never been able to do that.

Playing frequently to train your reflexes is really the only way to get a feel for it. I could do it fairly reliably for most opponents when I was still playing a bunch, now after jumping back in I'm rusty and failing the majority of parries I try. Just have to get back in the zone, I guess.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The gladiator toestab is super dumb.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

titties posted:

If your on console you basically can only parry a light on prediction. On pc it can be done on reaction but I believe only possible as a teenager or cracked out on stimulants.

titties
May 10, 2012

Kainser posted:

The gladiator toestab is super dumb.

I think that if you reflect on this you'll find that it is instead good.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
At launch I played LB and never got the hang of assassin style deflecting/guard reset.

Trying to figure out gladiator and to deflect I just need to try and dodge in the direction of an attack and not have guard that way too, right? My timing sucks :/

To block I just need to have my guard in the direction of an attack but it seems like it needs to be set for a time and not close to simultaneously?

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007

Campbell posted:

At launch I played LB and never got the hang of assassin style deflecting/guard reset.

Trying to figure out gladiator and to deflect I just need to try and dodge in the direction of an attack and not have guard that way too, right? My timing sucks :/

To block I just need to have my guard in the direction of an attack but it seems like it needs to be set for a time and not close to simultaneously?

The guard direction doesn't matter. Timing is critical, you have to be patient and dodge at the last possible moment. If i miss a deflect it is almost always because I got skittish and hit it too early.

Same thing with the block. Your guard drops after a small amount of time, so you have more leeway to block than deflect. Again, try to be patient and not hit it early, because you won't be able to get your guard up again in time.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone won a for honor torunament by spamming the unbreakable attack when you un-lock an enemy glitch, which has existed since the start of the game and has yet to be fixed :allears:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Mans posted:

someone won a for honor torunament by spamming the unbreakable attack when you un-lock an enemy glitch, which has existed since the start of the game and has yet to be fixed :allears:

It's also not present on most characters, tricky to pull off, and only really became known like a month or so ago iirc.

I mean sure, it's a problem for tournament tryhards. But not something you really see playing day to day, especially since the vast majority of unlock techs were patched out also around a month ago.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Haven't played this since the end of season 2, tried to play last night and kept getting disconnects.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Bought this game durong the free weekend, got the gold package for $50 and pretty satisfied. The disconnects are annoying, especial when I am doing boring contracts and almost done with a match and boom Server lost. Doesnt happen much though at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

darthzeta88 posted:

Bought this game durong the free weekend, got the gold package for $50 and pretty satisfied. The disconnects are annoying, especial when I am doing boring contracts and almost done with a match and boom Server lost. Doesnt happen much though at least.

I played for hours last night and only ran into one mid-game disconnect, though there's another bug now where it won't let you actually join a game if the lobby is full which I think is new. Not really an issue though, all you have to do is queue again and you'll lose maybe a minute of time.

No season pass for me, but both the new characters are fun to fight against at least. Highlander in particular has kind of the same feel as going up against a Kensei where you can tell that the times you get hit are your own fault. The tracking on their unblockable grab attack is a bit weird but it's probably just a need to get used to the dodge window. Gladiator has been a bit harder to figure out but still feels perfectly fair to fight against, the main thing is going to be getting used to when they'll side dodge and counter attack but that's the same as all the other assassins. Foot stab gets me a lot but every time it's happened it's something I should have seen coming.

Really happy with both of them and the new levels and interface changes are good as well. I still think Cent and Shinobi were mistakes for different reasons and made the game terrible to play, these new ones are a welcome addition. Shinobi has been nerfed since release and isn't much of an issue anymore, it's just Wardens and Cents now that I think could use some sort of nerf or redesign. Make it so Warden can't cancel their shoulder charge into a GB anymore and they would probably be fine, Cent has a whole host of problems and would he harder to address.

Also want to clarify something I said earlier about the new gear unlocking at prestige 7. You can get the new gear at 7, but it's at a relatively low rate and you won't start getting it commonly until you're at 9. Not sure how the percentages work out but it's probably best to save any boxes you have until you're at 9.