Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

the terrible secret of the Constructicons is that Devastator is just Bonecrusher in a big body, and they can't work out how to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

https://twitter.com/tf_nokcha/status/1787759564533944369

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hyper Inferno posted:

I recall that in the IDW comics that the Aerialbots stayed combined as Superion for so long that Superion became their default state and sort of had his own personality.

There was also the entire plot with Prowl Devastator.

In theory all the gestalts have their own personalities. Devastator is a brutal thug because their process wasn't really smooth and you've got six brains who have a hard time working out what they want to do at the same time but can usually default to "smash." Menasor is a rage beast because the other four hate Motormaster. Then you have the ones where it works a bit too well like how Bruticus is the ultimate soldier but can't improvise at all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Computron is extremely smart but has choice paralysis.

Piranhacon has a countdown timer to separate because gently caress the ocean, doesn't he? Or is that Predating?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

quote:

The Seacons who compose Piranacon can all agree on one thing, they love to hunt. In fact, they love it so much, that once they combine, they absolutely will not stop until they've either run out of energy or are destroyed. This has gotten to be such a problem that their commander, Snaptrap, has been forced to activate an automatic timer upon combination, forcing Piranacon to disassemble after a period of time. Despite this one set-back, Megatron considers Piranacon an ideal warrior and wishes he had more Decepticons like him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Computron is extremely smart but has choice paralysis.

Piranhacon has a countdown timer to separate because gently caress the ocean, doesn't he? Or is that Predating?

Honestly both Predaking and Pirahnacon have the same deal of loving hunting so much, you guys, but for some reason Snaptrap is a buzzkill about it.

Trivia: In the Official Handbook of the Transformers Universe Predaking is one of the very few with the 'No known weaknesses' tag.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly both Predaking and Pirahnacon have the same deal of loving hunting so much, you guys, but for some reason Snaptrap is a buzzkill about it.

Trivia: In the Official Handbook of the Transformers Universe Predaking is one of the very few with the 'No known weaknesses' tag.

Who else has that? Megatron, right (which is funny as he spends the Marvel comic run getting killed, mind wiped, killed again, cloned, fused to Ratchet...)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

oddly reminds me of that "be sure to take breaks!" thing from Wally's Wonderland.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fil5000 posted:

Who else has that? Megatron, right (which is funny as he spends the Marvel comic run getting killed, mind wiped, killed again, cloned, fused to Ratchet...)
Who else would survive that though?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

Trypticon is the only other one who is just flat out no known weaknesses. (Metroplex actually has a couple.) You've got a few others who are basically 'single personality trait' like Optimus' compassion or Grimlock being a dick. For the record, I guess, a lot of the movie Transformers didn't get a weakness write-up.

I'd forgotten how charmingly goofy some of the others' were, like Rampage being obsessed with MTV.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Dawgstar posted:

I'd forgotten how charmingly goofy some of the others' were, like Rampage being obsessed with MTV.

2020s version too busy watching Ridiculousness to do anything else.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Trypticon is the only other one who is just flat out no known weaknesses. (Metroplex actually has a couple.) You've got a few others who are basically 'single personality trait' like Optimus' compassion or Grimlock being a dick. For the record, I guess, a lot of the movie Transformers didn't get a weakness write-up.

I just remembered that someone gave me an original copy of the Transformers Universe book years back and grabbed it off the shelf. Kickback is hampered by "moderate winds", Ratchet is prone to partying, Runamuck is scared of heights, and Warpath is helpless if you tip him over.

"You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down, and you see a M551A1 Sheridan, it’s driving toward you. You reach down, you flip the Sheridan over on its back. The Sheridan lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, spinning it's tracks trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?"

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://twitter.com/toybroreviews/status/1787869380543389986?s=46

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Was not expecting head swivel from those wee fellas.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

I just remembered that someone gave me an original copy of the Transformers Universe book years back and grabbed it off the shelf. Kickback is hampered by "moderate winds", Ratchet is prone to partying, Runamuck is scared of heights, and Warpath is helpless if you tip him over.

"You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down, and you see a M551A1 Sheridan, it’s driving toward you. You reach down, you flip the Sheridan over on its back. The Sheridan lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, spinning it's tracks trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?"

Where does saying "because that dope could just transform and stand up" put me on the Voight-Kampff?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

You're a Nexus 12, off to retirement with you

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thank God. I don't have to buy toys anymore. :unsmith:

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It was Abominus

edit: Oh I read the other post a little down. Didn't Abominus have something like that?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

IDW's take on Abominus was that he was just a big monster guy because they didn't really figure out how to make the gestalt work.

I guess if you really want to go into fusion personalities, you could check out Steven Universe.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

IDW's take on Abominus was that he was just a big monster guy because they didn't really figure out how to make the gestalt work.

I guess if you really want to go into fusion personalities, you could check out Steven Universe.

Wasn't that Monstructor? Oh, I see, they did basically the same thing in the 2019 rebooted IDW run with Abominus that they did with Monstructor in the original IDW run.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm surprised they kept the toy head. And it's not even just that they straight re-used the G1 toy head, it's subtly different. They designed a new head with the same look.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

G1 had too drat many teams of weird monstor robots, it took me long enough to figure out that it wasn't the monsterbots.

Huh, and I guess Generations never gave monstructor a proper new release despite his prominence in the comic. I guess they never did have the courage to try pretenders in earnest.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Knormal posted:

I'm surprised they kept the toy head. And it's not even just that they straight re-used the G1 toy head, it's subtly different. They designed a new head with the same look.

I'm surprised they didn't announce cartoon versions. I'm wondering if they're doing this one, then later the cartoon ones, to try to milk as many sales out of them as they can.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I feel like the cartoon version thing might've been specific to Optimus. He's the face of the franchise, so it makes sense that they'd want an alternate version that's cheaper for people who would like the figure but don't want to shell out the extra cash for the trailer. And since the cartoon version is the one that people are probably more familiar with, it make sense to give that deco to the more casual-friendly figure (also it entices the whales to buy both).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Comfortador posted:

It was Abominus

edit: Oh I read the other post a little down. Didn't Abominus have something like that?

Abominus' thing is he's giant nearly-mindless savage, more or less.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

G1 had too drat many teams of weird monstor robots, it took me long enough to figure out that it wasn't the monsterbots.

Huh, and I guess Generations never gave monstructor a proper new release despite his prominence in the comic. I guess they never did have the courage to try pretenders in earnest.
The core Dinobots were obvious pretools of the Monstorcons if you look at the alt mode side by side, he's coming.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Either him or Dinoking, depending on which deco they go with.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Dawgstar posted:

Abominus' thing is he's giant nearly-mindless savage, more or less.

I don't know why but I'm remembering an episode where someone had some kind of remote control that broke them apart or something, but I'm old and so is my memory.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Comfortador posted:

I don't know why but I'm remembering an episode where someone had some kind of remote control that broke them apart or something, but I'm old and so is my memory.

That could well have happened! There were a lot of episodes.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Dawgstar posted:

That could well have happened! There were a lot of episodes.

aHA! According to a G1 wiki:

quote:

Later, when the Terrorcons allied with the Quintessons, they installed a timer mechanism which would cause them to separate after combining into Abominus. Call of the Primitives

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqdYImAxQxE

HOLD ON TO YOUR loving BALLS IT'S A NEW LINE FROM TAKARA

MTMTE RODIMUS

PREDAKING

ZOIDS

BRAVE EXKAISER

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

And I just saw this guy too.

$40.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

MTMTE RODIMUS

OH gently caress

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I can't find any confirmation, but people are saying it's $800?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dreamwave's War Within had the gestalts split amongst the six factions, but the only two you see in the second volume are Devastator and Defensor, and after the Protectobots de-merge, they wonder why they default down to essentially having a violent tantrum. Then Hot Spot gets kidnapped by The Fallen and Dreamwave goes bust so it never went further than that, but a storyline of trying to figure out the "why" of a combiner would have been neat

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

DoctorWhat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqdYImAxQxE

MTMTE RODIMUS

PREDAKING

ZOIDS

BRAVE EXKAISER

why havent takara done zoids transformers, i'll take a liger transformer

edit: heres some pictures https://twitter.com/autobase_aichi/status/1788062467593318762

Regular Wario fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 8, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Regular Wario posted:

why havent takara done zoids transformers, i'll take a liger transformer

edit: heres some pictures https://twitter.com/autobase_aichi/status/1788062467593318762

A Zoid transformer is like... a transmetal beast wars transformer

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Thundertron was made with the idea his alt mode is a Zoid.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The Transformers book continues to kick rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Joe Fisto posted:

The Transformers book continues to kick rear end.

Haha came here to post the same thing. It really is wild, I'm a big fan of this book and hope Johnson sticks to writing it and doing covers.