Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rest in peace to prolific Transformers comic artist Don Perlin, gone at 94. Also co-created Moon Knight and Bloodshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I saw the Transformers 40th anniversay thing in the cinema last night. It was pretty much exactly what I expected, so that was nice.

I also got the Reflection Figures Grimlock for £3.99 in Forbidden Planet a while back and am playing with it today. It's pretty much exacly what you want from a non-transforming G1 Grimlock toy. If the head rotated side to side it'd be perfect.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I got tix for it Sunday, should be a fun lil day at the movies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Did you know Legacy leaders are $36 at target right now? Because they are.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Good Listener posted:

I got tix for it Sunday, should be a fun lil day at the movies.

Yep, I’ve got tickets for me and a friend for Saturday.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I got my Missing Link Optimus today and man, I was a little skeptical when I ordered but now I want every Missing Link they decide to make.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

I saw the Transformers 40th anniversay thing in the cinema last night. It was pretty much exactly what I expected, so that was nice.
I was impressed with how spot-on Peter Cullen was still able to do G1 Prime. After two decades of Movie Prime and TF:Prime Prime I assumed the deeper, gruffer Prime voice was just the best he could do at his age. But no, he was hitting softer G1 Prime perfectly.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for Frank Welker's Megatron, though he's definitely still got the spirit. And non-vocodered Soundwave is incredibly creepy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair to Welker, I'm pretty sure that Megatron was also vocodered originally, if only a little. I also loved seeing Welker get really into it and act out the scenes a bit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

To be fair to Welker, I'm pretty sure that Megatron was also vocodered originally, if only a little. I also loved seeing Welker get really into it and act out the scenes a bit.

Welker talked about one of the reasons he liked doing Prime was he got to, well, actually act.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yeah but it's the same thing on those Robosen Megatron voice clips where there is the vocoder effect, the underlying voice is just off from what it was 40 years ago. It's totally understandable and I'd still much rather see him doing the voice even if it's shifted than them getting a replacement.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Frank Todaro is a great Starscream when he doesn’t have to be in a Netflix series

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
There's nothing.....

Wrong

With the voice direction...

<deep sigh>

Of the...

Netflix WFC series.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niy0y63BBjM

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
this popped up after i watched/listened to that.

NSFW (and a slur, in fairness it is a 17 year old vid!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-aTbHsZJ9g
Wheeljack built the Dinobots with "simple" brains; just like real Dinosaurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR28DoWaR9I
now this one i would pay a subscription service for.

I am hearing that the new TF show, that Earth Spark one, might be over. might be rumors, but of course it's "because it went woke!" and not because it's on Paramount loving Plus and the toys are pretty bad. poo poo, I hate the designs so much, I can't even watch a few minutes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If people are saying "it's because it went woke!" then you just ignore the entire rumour. They wouldn't bother putting a preview for next season ahead of the 40th anniversay event show if they weren't going to drop it soon.

Also it's on Netflix over here :shrug:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can’t imagine hating the designs in ES. A lot of them are Nick Roche goodness and otherwise look just like G1 bots would.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Nightshade is a good design and a great toy.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

If people are saying "it's because it went woke!" then you just ignore the entire rumour.

It's not so much "people" as "one news contributor at Seibertron.com who tends to pepper his stories with conservative talking points". And the rumor isn't specifically that Earthspark is ending, it's that there's a new show in development - Earthspark ending is only an assumption made by the guy who posted the rumor.

However

Hasbro's been doing Transformers stuff for 40 years, and it seems pretty clear that they've figured out they can get about three years out of any particular group of kids before needing to refresh for the next group. So Transformers shows lasting more than 3 years is pretty rare, and Earthspark's been running since November 2022. Season 2 Part 1 is airing in July, and with the show's production schedule, it seems likely that Part 2 will go into early 2025. A truncated third season is possible after that, but I wouldn't expect the show will continue into 2026 unless it's for a miniseries or TV movie to wrap things up.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I haven't been paying much attention to the Earthspark toys. They mostly haven't stuck out to me. They're doing the whole pantsforming thing again, which isn't great. Skimming some pictures, a lot of the alt-modes seem to have a lot of weird chunks and robot kibble, which is a non-starter for me.

But more notable to me is that there seem to be a lot less figures than other lines in general from the wiki entries? Like there's less in Earthspark in total than there was in one year of Legacy Evolution, but also it seems like there's less than there were in one year of Cyberverse or the number of figures in RID(2015). Which seems to indicate Hasbro not wanting to invest as much into their animated series merch.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Robot Style posted:

It's not so much "people" as "one news contributor at Seibertron.com who tends to pepper his stories with conservative talking points". And the rumor isn't specifically that Earthspark is ending, it's that there's a new show in development - Earthspark ending is only an assumption made by the guy who posted the rumor.

However

Hasbro's been doing Transformers stuff for 40 years, and it seems pretty clear that they've figured out they can get about three years out of any particular group of kids before needing to refresh for the next group. So Transformers shows lasting more than 3 years is pretty rare, and Earthspark's been running since November 2022. Season 2 Part 1 is airing in July, and with the show's production schedule, it seems likely that Part 2 will go into early 2025. A truncated third season is possible after that, but I wouldn't expect the show will continue into 2026 unless it's for a miniseries or TV movie to wrap things up.
I'm generalising it to the entire world. If that single phrase is even hinted at then you know that whatever they are trying to push is at best just free word association trying to explain how something is proving them right somehow.

Earthspark has been pretty slowly dripfed out, so it's possible that they'll kill it by the end of 2025. If two seasons is all it gets that's fine. The first season ended reasonably neatly so they could really have just left it there and I wouldn't have felt like it needed the usual half-assed third season most shows get.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am hearing that the new TF show, that Earth Spark one, might be over. might be rumors, but of course it's "because it went woke!" and not because it's on Paramount loving Plus and the toys are pretty bad. poo poo, I hate the designs so much, I can't even watch a few minutes.

Lets be real, a TF show hasn't made it past 2-3 seasons in a long rear end time anyways. Rescue Bots got 4, but I think that's it from the past 20 years.

Wait, Rescue Bots is really the only show, period, that got a real fourth season. We got some series that were heavily related (like BW and BM, and Rescue Bots got at least one spinoff, but I never watched any of them so I'm not sure how closely related they are).

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 17, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Rescue Bots Academy is a direct sequel show, with a lot of the same characters in it. It didn't do as much work to keep parents invested too though, and it was difficult to find compared to the original so I don't think it got as many fans. Plus it was split into that two eleven minute stories per episode format so it really didn't even have room to try be better.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Also they fired everybody and replaced them with scabs

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

But more notable to me is that there seem to be a lot less figures than other lines in general from the wiki entries? Like there's less in Earthspark in total than there was in one year of Legacy Evolution, but also it seems like there's less than there were in one year of Cyberverse or the number of figures in RID(2015). Which seems to indicate Hasbro not wanting to invest as much into their animated series merch.

That also seems to line up with how they've been handling age ranges for the toys.

For the first 30 years of Transformers, all the mainline toys were for ages 5+ on the box. But starting with Combiner Wars and RID2015, there was a split:
  • Generations became 8+
  • RID2015 was 6+
  • The 3+ Rescue Bots stayed as-is

There were still a few 5+ stragglers, like the AOE/TLK one-step changers, but for the most part Generations-family products were firmly at 8+ and mainline TV / Movie toys were 6+.

Last year Hasbro's CEO mentioned in an interview that adults make up 40% of their revenue, and they were expecting that to rise to 50% over the next five years. So with that in mind, it makes sense that they'd focus a lot more on their 8+ market (which includes adult collectors) rather than that comparatively small sliver of 6+ kids that are going to graduate to 8+ in a year or two anyway.

But what's missing is that they're only targeting the TV figures at that 6+ range. The movies get Studio Series toys alongside the mainline products, but stuff like Earthspark and Cyberverse don't get any Generations representation until after they've ended (and the 6 year olds who watched the show initially are now ready for more complex figures).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I've heard some friends talk about expecting to see Rescue Bots in the Generations line at some point. On the one hand, I can see it, but on the other, they're only now starting to dip into the Unicron trilogy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Didn't we JUST get a Chase?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Hey you're right! https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Chase_(RB)#Legacy

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Heatwave has been announced too I think.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm glad of it, it was a good show. And had the best theme tune.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And isn't that one Skids or Crankcase redeco a rescue bot?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Heatwave has been announced too I think.

Yeah, he's in the leaked listings for next year. Medix was also 2023's Walgreens exclusive, so it's definitely on Hasbro's radar as a resource for characters.

It's a bit of a weird choice to do more than one figure of though. The show started airing in 2011 and was aimed at 3-5 year olds, and those kids would be in their late teens now (aka the "I'm done with all this kid poo poo and want to be an adult" years). So there's probably a significant chunk of people buying new Rescue Bots characters who have zero connection to the original show because they were either too young or too old to actually watch it when it was airing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Or who watched it with their kids

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I have no attachment to Rescue Bots and I bought Chase because he seemed like he had a cool transformation.

I have no interest in Medix because the Crankcase mold sucks, though I like the color scheme.

I think for those of us with no connection to the show it's like buying any other figure based on a non-G1 character, I don't have to know who the character is to appreciate the toy/deco.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH if you don't have a connection to it you should go watch it, and bear in mind that it is fully in continuity with both Prime and RID2015.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I dropped out of Prime after the first season and RiD2015 after the first episode.

Really I'm more about the cool engineering on the toys, the associated media usually doesn't interest me. I do keep meaning to start following the new comics though since they sound pretty interesting.

Is there anywhere that lets you buy a comic and just download it as a PDF or CBR?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah I tend to care more about liking the toy instead of needing to know the character and connect it with the fiction. I remember in this thread there was a lot of love for the toys of RID(2015) even if there wasn't any buzz for the cartoon just because the toys were so bold and interesting in their designs.

I was like that as a kid and was happy with a lot of toys that I didn't know at all the fiction for, but I can't speak for kids these days.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I grew up during the Beast Wars days, but didn't have regular access to the show. So whenever I did manage to see it, I hoped that I would see the one of the toys I had show up and do something cool, and had way more investment in Air Hammer and Snapper than characters like Silverbolt and Tarantulas.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i honestly did not like TF Prime until a friend introduced me to Knock Out, and then I was all in. I mean the Autobots were pretty boring by comparison but the good guys always are, especially compared to a Megatron who desecrates the loving dead, Soundwave who never talks but took down a whole squad of insane zombie bugs, and Shockwave who engineers a motherfucking dragon because why the gently caress not? The episode Thirst was the second one I ever watched and it hooked me.

Poor Breakdown. But if Prime was made today, he'd totally be a cybertruck.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It would be fun to see a version of the Stunticons where they're all the worst vehicles of their respective type, because the Decepticons are totally out of their depth when it comes to cars and have no idea what makes for a good altmode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robot Style posted:

I grew up during the Beast Wars days, but didn't have regular access to the show. So whenever I did manage to see it, I hoped that I would see the one of the toys I had show up and do something cool, and had way more investment in Air Hammer and Snapper than characters like Silverbolt and Tarantulas.

I kept things under budget during Beast Wars was I only bought characters who were on the show.

Cowslips Warren posted:

i honestly did not like TF Prime until a friend introduced me to Knock Out, and then I was all in. I mean the Autobots were pretty boring by comparison but the good guys always are, especially compared to a Megatron who desecrates the loving dead, Soundwave who never talks but took down a whole squad of insane zombie bugs, and Shockwave who engineers a motherfucking dragon because why the gently caress not? The episode Thirst was the second one I ever watched and it hooked me.

Poor Breakdown. But if Prime was made today, he'd totally be a cybertruck.

I dunno, I really liked Arcee but that was partially because it's the first time Arcee was so front and center. Also Sumalee Montano is super nice.