Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The_Doctor posted:

Did you know Legacy leaders are $36 at target right now? Because they are.

Thanks for the heads up, went and got Dreadwing and Armada Megatron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Just mulling over whether to buy the current Springer that I've seen in a local shop for half the price of the new SS version (which I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy as it's too pricy,..)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The Siege version is decent but some of the transformation is fiddly and relies a lot on little tabs. I remember people in this thread saying the Wreckers version was a bit loose and floppy (and despite being a Marvel UK comic fan I much prefer the cartoon colours).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Funny thing I noticed about Armada Megatron, his turret can't freely rotate in a full 360° and there shouldn't be any reason for that since it wouldn't interfere with transformation and doesn't seem to be a safety thing either, and then it hit me, they did that so that when you do that mode of his where he has the turret on his front you can't position the cannon in a way that would make it look like a dick

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Funny thing I noticed about Armada Megatron, his turret can't freely rotate in a full 360° and there shouldn't be any reason for that since it wouldn't interfere with transformation and doesn't seem to be a safety thing either, and then it hit me, they did that so that when you do that mode of his where he has the turret on his front you can't position the cannon in a way that would make it look like a dick

Thew pointed it out in his review as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Went and saw the 40th anniversary thing at the movie theatre.

The 10 minutes of literal commercials was tacky, but whatever.

The table read for the first episode was neat. The guy they got to be the Chris Latta replacement actually did a really great job, I was surprised.

Seeing the other episodes in the theatre had some novelty to it, but I don’t think it was quite as revelatory as, say, seeing the 86 movie back in theatres (which is guaranteed to happen in 2026, and I’ll be there for it).

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
From the online reactions I've seen the majority of people appeared to not know what was going to be shown. Most believed it to be the 86 movie itself.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, a friend from home went to it expecting the movie and was surprised to get the cartoon instead.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I knew it was going to be the cartoon, but I didn't know they were going to be redubbing the first episode. I think the ads just described it as a table read. I liked what we got a lot better, but they really didn't advertise what this was very well.

Xenomrph posted:

The 10 minutes of literal commercials was tacky, but whatever.
Also this, I'm pretty sure no one the theater seeing this was going to be out of the loop on current Transformers.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
my friend who has been to over a loving thousand movies, said this was the only time he walked out of a showing. about the 11th commercial people were already getting pissed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Last Call posted:

From the online reactions I've seen the majority of people appeared to not know what was going to be shown. Most believed it to be the 86 movie itself.
I must have had a moment when I bought the tickets because I could have sworn it was for a showing of 86. A few days ago I checked again and it was the table read+episodes thing.
The read through was good, even if they missed the mark on the vocoder for Soundwave.

The constant commercials and two (?!) trailers for TF ONE was something else.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cowslips Warren posted:

my friend who has been to over a loving thousand movies, said this was the only time he walked out of a showing. about the 11th commercial people were already getting pissed.
Yeah, for a show time of 19:30 I'm pretty sure they ran until well after 20:00 with just random commercials for poo poo, and then still showed a half-dozen or so trailers before they started rolling the actual feature. Of course the tickets were also just £5 each, which is under a third the price of a normal screening in that cinema.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Xenomrph posted:

The table read for the first episode was neat. The guy they got to be the Chris Latta replacement actually did a really great job, I was surprised.

That guy also did Starscream in those awful Machinima series (CW, TR, PotP). At least something good came out of those train wrecks.

Shame they didn't do more than just the first episode, but I suppose the second episode is very heavy on characters with voice actors who have died, and it would have gotten a little weird eventually. I hope they release the full recording session at some point, I'd definitely watch that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The movie would probably be pretty awkward because half the cast is dead.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://youtu.be/jz1FTmaUGiQ?si=orjq5e_a2WgumUyT

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Keldroc posted:

That guy also did Starscream in those awful Machinima series (CW, TR, PotP). At least something good came out of those train wrecks.

Shame they didn't do more than just the first episode, but I suppose the second episode is very heavy on characters with voice actors who have died, and it would have gotten a little weird eventually. I hope they release the full recording session at some point, I'd definitely watch that.

When one of the guys at the table read after the episode said “haha we’re goofing on each other constantly, someone should animate all of our fuckups because it would be super funny!” I was absolutely convinced that they were going to do just that.

Huge missed opportunity.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Xenomrph posted:

When one of the guys at the table read after the episode said “haha we’re goofing on each other constantly, someone should animate all of our fuckups because it would be super funny!” I was absolutely convinced that they were going to do just that.

Huge missed opportunity.

Michael Bell is really good and I still remember seeing panels at TFCon with him. Seems like a cool old dude.

I went today and actually was laughing to myself pretty hard that they had like 5 mins of commercials beforehand with stuff like "PARENTS USE THIS CODE FOR 20% OFF" or something. Another friend of mine was also surprised to see it wasn't the movie and I didn't realize they were doing a table read. It was pretty fun and I loved Welker just loving with Cullen in the outtakes portion. Man did Berger make Spike sound like a big weiner though lol.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The movie would probably be pretty awkward because half the cast is dead.

Yeah and the actors passed away too

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Silhouette posted:

Yeah and the actors passed away too

need a senzu for that one.

I always remember Michael Bell as Raziel from Legacy of Kain. Outtakes from that game are loving hilarious. More VA fuckups are always good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A buddy of mine got to meet Neil Ross who was delighted to find out that my pal's favorite line of his was Springer's "I've got better things to do tonight than die" because apparently he doesn't get asked about that one much, to my mild surprise.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

A buddy of mine got to meet Neil Ross who was delighted to find out that my pal's favorite line of his was Springer's "I've got better things to do tonight than die" because apparently he doesn't get asked about that one much, to my mild surprise.

What, really? It's proper 80s action movie cheese, and I don't think Springer has a better line.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

What, really? It's proper 80s action movie cheese, and I don't think Springer has a better line.

Like I said, surprised me too but apparently Ross' eyes just lit up when he asked about said that was his favorite line.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Cowslips Warren posted:

I always remember Michael Bell as Raziel from Legacy of Kain. Outtakes from that game are loving hilarious. More VA fuckups are always good.

The Berserk anime outtakes are so revered that a studio just got the rights to make a Blu-ray for it, and one of the bullet points was just that they had them.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Cowslips Warren posted:

The hidden stuff on that game was outstanding, you never really got to see VA’s doing their lines and chatting with each other. It was quite the unique feature and when I first watched it, I thought to myself “this is the future and everyone’s going to be doing this”. That didn't quite happen but it was still one of my most favorite aspects of the SR games.

I remember listening to Tony Jay doing some VA and thinking to myself, yeah, I’d listen to this guy read a phone book.

René Auberjonois was likewise a VA and he was amazed by how much dialogue was in the game. He’s best known as Odo from Star Trek: DS9 and in those games based on that series he mostly had lines that were “Go through that door”, the SR games with their storylines and dialogue was far beyond that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Last Call posted:

The hidden stuff on that game was outstanding, you never really got to see VA’s doing their lines and chatting with each other. It was quite the unique feature and when I first watched it, I thought to myself “this is the future and everyone’s going to be doing this”. That didn't quite happen but it was still one of my most favorite aspects of the SR games.

I remember listening to Tony Jay doing some VA and thinking to myself, yeah, I’d listen to this guy read a phone book.

René Auberjonois was likewise a VA and he was amazed by how much dialogue was in the game. He’s best known as Odo from Star Trek: DS9 and in those games based on that series he mostly had lines that were “Go through that door”, the SR games with their storylines and dialogue was far beyond that.

I will never forget his reaction and Michael Bell cracking up in the video outtakes because Renee realized he had like two or three straight pages of talking. I think Michael Bell's response was something like, he wants to get paid by the word now!

I really wish more animated shows had those kind of video outtakes. I can't find it online, but apparently there's a transformers Prime video where the guy who voices knockout stuck string cheese up his nose during a very somber recording, and made everyone lose it laughing.

That's really strange with the springer line, that's the only one I really remember him saying that was quotable!

edit: My speech to text is bad.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 20, 2024

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

That's really strange with the sprainer line, that's the only one I really remember him saying that was quotable!

Figure he meant he gets asked about his other roles a lot more

Springer chat reminds me of how I went looking for prior uses of "I have nothing but contempt for this court" and came up empty-handed. It seems like too obviously cool of a line to have been first dropped in an animated movie about selling robot toys to kids!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

Springer chat reminds me of how I went looking for prior uses of "I have nothing but contempt for this court" and came up empty-handed. It seems like too obviously cool of a line to have been first dropped in an animated movie about selling robot toys to kids!

Oh true, that must be something that voice actors and actors in general probably get, but I think the former gets it. perhaps less. I'm reminded of the guy who played q in Star Trek, who was also in breaking bad briefly, and also did a voice for the My Little pony friendship is magic show. in an interview, he said he gets a lot of fans that come up to him wanting autographs and to talk about his work, and he always has to figure out what show they're talking about and he used to be able to tell just based on their age, but with the pony stuff, it became a lot more murky.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Phy posted:

Yeah, Ross has one of those absurdly prolific careers across animation like most of the Transformers cast did. I was amused to note he's Hector Ramirez, thus the connective glue that binds Transformers, GI Joe, Jem and the Holograms and Inhumanoids together.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Ross has one of those absurdly prolific careers across animation like most of the Transformers cast did. I was amused to note he's Hector Ramirez, thus the connective glue that binds Transformers, GI Joe, Jem and the Holograms and Inhumanoids together.

Oh the Giraldo looking guy? That's cool. Also it's very funny that that means a Jem concert could be disrupted by D'Compose shoving Hologram fans into his rib cage.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

Oh the Giraldo looking guy? That's cool. Also it's very funny that that means a Jem concert could be disrupted by D'Compose shoving Hologram fans into his rib cage.

Somebody's been to my account at AO3~!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Once I get an immaculate, beautifully done modern Pizzazz in 1:12, finally I will be *complete*.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Fil5000 posted:

Outrageous.

Truly, truly, truly outrageous.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Truly, truly, truly ribcageous.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Dawgstar posted:

Too bad Ramirez never showed up in Visionaries or My Little Pony to completely link all of the major 1980s Sunbow series.

My Little Pony had modern human kids sometimes, so hey, you could've just put Ramirez on their TV.

I have no idea where he would fit into Visionaries, which apparently took place on another planet entirely.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Man, modern Visionaries would be cool as hell. Replace the old holographic sticker gimmick with little LCD screens like those creepy new furbys' eyes and they'd be amazing.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Silhouette posted:

Man, modern Visionaries would be cool as hell. Replace the old holographic sticker gimmick with little LCD screens like those creepy new furbys' eyes and they'd be amazing.

Go full ham, put video portals to Ireland in every toy like the one in New York(?)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Back when Tron Legacy came out there was a brief toy line of figures whose faces were like, video projected GIFs that worked in some kind of Visionaries-esque way.

https://youtu.be/D_tb5U46-To?si=AGi3EU3071yHh6w1

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I miss the 80s era of proper holograms

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One of the oft-cited reasons for the Visionaries' line going under was being overpriced. Given what toys cost now I wonder what their retail was back then which apparently put them out of the coveted "you can have a toy if you're good" price point for the average family that GI Joe and Transformer's minibots/cassettes held.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The carded figures were $5 and vehicles about $17-20. But a lot were discounted, so $2 figures weren’t uncommon at KB Toys.