Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

effika posted:

Traveling loop is pretty easy and I even discovered it on own before consulting the internet about it (I bet a lot of others did too).
Ha, that's why I said "I think," because I'm pretty sure what I've done is the same as traveling loop but I've never bothered to look up actual traveling loop :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I arrogantly thought travelling loop was pointless after working out magic loop, but actually it's great for stuff like hats and cowls if you don't like using the short circs but don't want to magic loop because the pattern doesn't split evenly.

ETA: depending on the size of the circ, it'll still work for cardigans or jerseys if they're small enough to fit comfortably. And I know a few people have had issues with them, but Knit Picks/Knit Pro make decent quality circs for relatively cheap. I've always bought through suppliers rather than direct from them so never had supply problems.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 8, 2018

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I use circular needles for everything, because I find it a lot easier on my wrists (and because I have a set of interchangeable circulars, which means I already have a bunch of sizes in circulars....). I also knit a lot of sweaters in the round. You can fit a piece with a bigger circumference onto a shorter set of circulars pretty easily, up to a point. Though you can't try it on without taking it off the needles, obviously.

Two at once magic loop is the only way I'll ever be able to knit a pair of socks instead of many different single socks. It's great for mitts and sweater sleeves, too. With top-down seamless sweaters, I set up the double magic loop directly into the held-off sleeve stitches in the body. It's great. My sleeves are always the same length! I'm sure more fastidious people can handle both of these things without two at once, but... it's a godsend for me anyway.

I own a set of addi click interchangeables, but if I were rebuying a set, I might not choose those. At the smaller sizes (4-5), the yarn sometimes catches on the small lip at the connecting point. Also I would REALLY like them to be different colors by size, but this seems to be a feature only of the cheaper sets. Not sure why. I should paint mine or something. Not that I have repeatedly realized that I am knitting on two different sized needles, nope.....

For socks, I like my Chia Goo red lace circular in size 1, which is ~$10.

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
I particularly like using circulars for any flat pieces that have some weight to them as the weight is on the cable/your lap, rather than hanging on your needles. Think of cardigans, or shawls. People here often learn to knit with the end of their very long straight needles tucked into their armpits, circulars are wildly more comfortable than that.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
The last time I used straight needles for a project, the effort required to move the needles (especially with the added weight of the yarn) made my wrists and hands unbearably sore. Ever since I got a set of interchangeable needles, I just use circs for everything.

My interchangeables are Knitter's Pride wood, and I really like the feel of them since they're not quite as slippery as metal needles, but YMMV. I do have one needle in the set that has a slightly misaligned internal threading, so it's a pain in the rear end to screw onto the cords. But the join is still smooth once it's on, so I don't consider that a major complaint.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Croisquessein posted:

I'd like to try magic loop, but the cheap circulars I have make it impossible. Does anybody have a suggestion for a pair that is affordable? The ones I've looked at are kind of pricey.

ChiaoGoo Red Lace Circulars are great for ~$10.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

For socks, I like my Chia Goo red lace circular in size 1, which is ~$10.

Ha, replied before seeing this.

sivad fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 9, 2018

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015
Man, I get a little busy and forget to check the knitting thread for a while...
You guys all make such awesome gorgeous projects.

I got some time to sit down, find various pictures of my knitting and upload them, so i hope it´s ok that this is a bit of a picture dump (I really like watching the pictures of everyone elses work, so...)

I made an office-appropriate poncho for my mom, she wears shirts and boring adult stuff under it and loves it.

A while back, I was an idiot and made a dress....and didn´t make a knitting sample for the yarn, aaaand it shrunk two sizes.....so now a friend of mine is very happy and lucky and warm... :argh:

I decided to take a break from dresses then....so shawls and lace happened - some crochet happened too...but that´ll go in the crochet thread later.
It didn´t want to block as pretty as i wanted, the yarn keeps springing back, tho the colorway is pretty

Then get frustrated, start a dress for a friend whos transitioning....aaand stop again untill shes done so the top part will actually fit her later...

When all else fails and is frustrating, make a poncho! Yes Ponchos never fail you! Ponchos are soothing!

Make a dress for your kid, thats too big because knittingsamples are for real adults who know how to think and knit gud.

Then get a new job - go insane and decide to design your own drat patterns....and decide to learn a new technique for holding two strands of yarn while youre at it, so the tension is all wonky :(

If that pattern actually works out, i´ll prolly write it up and publish it on ravelry or something....in the future, where i have time...hahah...ha.
It started as a design-challenge to myself while I was bored and jobless. I wanted to see if i could emulate this kind of painted china into knit
I think it went ok.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
drat, you knit some seriously awesome stuff. That poncho for your Mum and the fair isle dresses are frickin' gorgeous. Good work.

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015

left_unattended posted:

drat, you knit some seriously awesome stuff. That poncho for your Mum and the fair isle dresses are frickin' gorgeous. Good work.

I often wonder, is all stranded colorwork known as fair isle in the us/uk? I only ask cause the poncho and dress are both in styles that I think of as norwegian, and a lot of the stuff I usually knit is icelandic designs from a big book I have. I dont think ive ever actually knitted a pattern that was known, to me, to be fair isle...(which I guess is different from faroese...or am I mixing it all up?)

DrunkenDolphin fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 10, 2018

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
I'm in NZ, but also lazy. I recognised it as Scandinavian rather than 'traditional' fair isle but lumped them under the same terminology.

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015
Ah that makes sense, and sorry, I always end up assumin people are from the US/uk on here.

I guess i should sit down and actually learn the difference between fair isle, and the various scandinavian styles im familiar with.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Once you know the difference, you'll see it hosed up everywhere. Like a couple months ago iirc Vogue had a whole spread about "fabulous Fair Isle," and out of half a dozen items, none of them were even sort of Fair Isle.

Your work is all gorgeous regardless though!

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015

Anne Whateley posted:

Once you know the difference, you'll see it hosed up everywhere. Like a couple months ago iirc Vogue had a whole spread about "fabulous Fair Isle," and out of half a dozen items, none of them were even sort of Fair Isle.

Your work is all gorgeous regardless though!

haha, i do love when someone does a colorswapped variant of the Marius pattern, which is the most NORWEGIAN of patterns, and calls if fair isle or Icelandic, its double fun if you have an older norwegian person in the knitting-group, you can hear their bloodpressure go up.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

DrunkenDolphin posted:

haha, i do love when someone does a colorswapped variant of the Marius pattern, which is the most NORWEGIAN of patterns, and calls if fair isle or Icelandic, its double fun if you have an older norwegian person in the knitting-group, you can hear their bloodpressure go up.

I love this. I know in the US at least Fair Isle has become synonymous with the stranded technique rather than the motifs, a little like how everyone says Xerox when they just mean a photocopy or Kleenex when they mean tissue. I sympathize with stress when people are wrong.

I can't take a good photo to save my life but I made this for a friend's kid:

The brim is double knit and the pattern is just k4,p4, you cast on a multiple of 8+1 and go to town. It doesn't have that bell shape on the head, thankfully. I used a US4 on the brim and US6 on the body, but I think if I made another in this yarn I would consider a US7 instead and/or increase 8 stitches from the brim for a slouchier body.

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015

Oh i love the color, a good black-pink combo always pops!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

DrunkenDolphin posted:

Oh i love the color, a good black-pink combo always pops!

Thanks, it's Lion Brand Scarfie. I always buy it 50% off so it's cheap and p easy to work with and quite soft for acrylic. This last year they actually got some good colors in addition to the garbage it launched with. I made a long rear end infinity scarf out of another skein in a different color way and it's the one I wear all the time, despite studying for my yarn snob certification.

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015
Hah, i know what you mean, i have three projects lined up to knit in those big Bumbo acrylic-things you get cheap in my supermarkets here.
I think I have bought excatly two types of yarn at full price this year, and i regretted both a bit....

Will buying this https://www.garnudsalg.dk/shop/tivoli-wool-220-6866p.html get me my yarn snob certificate?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That closeup looks like Lion Brand Homespun :gonk:

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015
I think I might have stockholm syndrome (yarnholm syndrome? stockholms yarndrome? - Im sure someone clever can make that work) towards that yarn....I kinda wanna get it.

I dont even have a project or recipie that would work with it... but it seems to call to the insane grandmother inside me that just thinks it would be fun to knit in, and who must obsessively own ALL THE YARN.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

DrunkenDolphin posted:

I think I might have stockholm syndrome (yarnholm syndrome? stockholms yarndrome? - Im sure someone clever can make that work) towards that yarn....I kinda wanna get it.

I dont even have a project or recipie that would work with it... but it seems to call to the insane grandmother inside me that just thinks it would be fun to knit in, and who must obsessively own ALL THE YARN.

I use bouclé yarn for cat toys. We even have a specific ball of bouclé yarn the cat knows is hers and she can play with it while I knit. Definitely spend $$$ on this yarn to only use it for cat toys, for maximum Yarn Snob points.

The colors make me think it would be good for children's scarves or hats, or doll sweaters.

I got a refund check from the gas company (apparently we overpaid this winter?) and want to use it on silk/silk-rayon blend yarn. I'm thinking either Handmaiden Sea Silk or this indie dyer using the same base. Now I just have to pick the color... I know I probably won't make anything more complicated than a Clapotis with it, but I still want some silk.

Does the rayon content (SeaCell is a fancy name for seaweed derived rayon, I ain't getting fooled) make silk any nicer to knit with? Or should I go for 100% silk? Decisions!

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Finished just over a hundred rounds into my spring project:

Pattern is: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/argonic-dress

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
I've been knitting for a little over a year (with a big break last summer), and I just finished the first thing I'm really actually quite proud of:

Based on this pattern: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/classic-cuffed-hat
Using Caron Cakes "Pumpkin Spice".

And I looked at a sweater pattern the other day, and for the first time wasn't horrified at the complexity of the thing!

I'm going to tackle some mittens next. Learning how to Norwegian purl has been a lifesaver in terms of hand stress and keeping even tension.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I've decided that I need to frog and either reknit the pockets I added to the cardigan I'm making, or just do a turned hem like the back piece.

I completely misjudged how floppy this yarn would get. I think I could save the pockets with some interfacing and a liner, but I also know i really don't like sewing.

They don't even look like those fashionable sloppy sweater pockets, otherwise I might leave them.

If I reknit them I'll do them at half the width. I made them the entire width of the front panels and that was a bad idea with my drapey yarn.

I'm giving the cardigan a time out for a few days before I do anything I'd have to spend a lot of time to redo. I was really hoping to get this done by April 1st!

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Despite knitting and dressing a big swatch, this sweater ended up having a neck hole so large it falls all the way off. Good job me.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Despite knitting and dressing a big swatch, this sweater ended up having a neck hole so large it falls all the way off. Good job me.

Can you frog the neck and decrease a few more stitches before you knit the neck to fix it?

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Midnight Sun posted:

Can you frog the neck and decrease a few more stitches before you knit the neck to fix it?

It's top-down D:

But maybe it's still possible to pick out a couple rows and knit the other way like it was a provisional cast on. Shape/design-wise, I think that I can shrink the neckline by adding rows without ending up with a weird thing...and if not, uh...funnel necks are a thing, right?

I tried it on as I knit it, but it just stretched out a lot as the sweater got heavier and when it got wet. The rest of it still fits though. I need to remember to use a non-stretchy cast on if I'm doing a neckline that can pull over the head without stretching.

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

It's top-down D:

But maybe it's still possible to pick out a couple rows and knit the other way like it was a provisional cast on. Shape/design-wise, I think that I can shrink the neckline by adding rows without ending up with a weird thing...and if not, uh...funnel necks are a thing, right?

I tried it on as I knit it, but it just stretched out a lot as the sweater got heavier and when it got wet. The rest of it still fits though. I need to remember to use a non-stretchy cast on if I'm doing a neckline that can pull over the head without stretching.

well, 5 no-reknit solutions....

1: felt the neck, dip only that part in hot soapy water and massage untill felted/smaller.

2: add an elastic a bit down from the top of the neckline and live with it bunching up a bit.

3: sew two or four symmetric wedges via. sewingmachines, and simply cut away the excess - or add zippers for a kicking rad punk-look.

4: frog the neck and add a tighter knit or crochet hem with a drawstring-solution.

5: declare it a drop/funnelsneck dress, add elastic to the top of current neckline, and then pick up and knit a layer of fabric to pooch over....

Can anyone tell i hail-mary a lot of dresses and sweaters....?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hello fellow knitters! I've been knitting for a while (my great grandma taught me :kimchi:) but only found this thread recently. I've been teaching an 8 year old and 10 year old to knit this winter. Whole lotta baby hats happening.

I've been personally working on a rainbow coloured afghan, 100% Merino wool from Australia. I'll post pictures when I'm not phone posting. You are amazing knitters and I'm excited about all of your projects. I am slightly intimidated but happy to join your ranks, goonknitters.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

DrunkenDolphin posted:

3: sew two or four symmetric wedges via. sewingmachines, and simply cut away the excess - or add zippers for a kicking rad punk-look.

oooooh I didn't think of zippers, that might actually look really cool in the back.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
I finally finished the very first blanket I ever started almost 5 years ago! (It sat unfinished for long periods at a time...)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

suddenly cats posted:

I finally finished the very first blanket I ever started almost 5 years ago! (It sat unfinished for long periods at a time...)

Cabled and huge! That's definitely a multi-year project. Looks great! The cables really pop, what's the yarn?

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Thanks!! It's Lion Brand Heartland, in the colorway Joshua Tree.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

suddenly cats posted:

OK, this is effin awesome and I can totally believe it took five years. Amazing work. But I have to ask, how do you knit something that size? Do you knit it all together or in sections? Do you use reeeeealy long circulars? How do you deal with the weight when it gets really big?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Awesome blanket, suddenly cats! It must be heavy!

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

It is pretty heavy, but I wanted it to be big and warm and it totally fits the bill. My spouse and my cat both love it.

The pattern is Burridge Lake Aran Afghan, it's worked in 5 separate sections and then whipstitched together. I did do the whole thing on a decently sized circular though, and usually piled it in my lap once the section started to get really long.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

suddenly cats posted:

Goddamn, that's amazing!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
That's so beautiful! Thank you for the pattern link, I need that in my life :swoon:

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
That is absolutely gorgeous! I love the colour! I can definitely see how that would take several years to do but man does it look worth it! I really need to get some longer cables for my circular needles to try a blanket at some point.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
I thought that looked familiar! I knit one of those for my uncle's wedding gift. It's beautiful but definitely a lot of work. Congratulations on finishing it, it looks stunning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Finished these two over Easter.

This one is just a project I did to finish some leftover yarn, that's why it's such a mishmash of colors. I used this pattern, but I didn't shape the waist. Made from Drops Air, the end result is very light weight and not too warm.

I made this for my brother in law, he's turning 60 this summer and wanted a knit sweater. Pattern is Lofoten from Dale Garn. I haven't ironed it yet, so excuse the wrinkles. Knit with Dale Falk.